NATION

PASSWORD

Dark Age/Fantasy World RP Interest (OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Dark Age/Fantasy World RP Interest (OOC)

Postby Achesia » Tue May 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Hey All!

This is a planning thread for the creation of a Dark Age/Medieval Tech with Fantasy Elements RP that we will start here on international incidents. I will keep this first OP updated with all the finalized information we have decided on so that everyone can keep track of what we have planned to do.

The idea centers on creating a RP "World" for this PT/FanT genre of gameplay. It will be a niche place for those players can RP their realms of Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Witches, Warlocks, Orcs, Dwarfs, etc in a "Semi-realistic" state of play with other nations. What separates this from prior attempts is that myself and my Co-Admin Knights of Kings have come up with a story arch that this world will center around and have all the players be apart of. Players when joining will be required to explain how they fit in to this arch and what their relationship with the other Realms is.

Here is the just of the story: It has been a thousand years since the dark lord's reign of terror ended. A rule in which nearly half the inhabitants of [insert world name here] were killed during his enslavement of all beings. But now the realms of free-folk have begun to pick up the pieces, and band together for strength in uncertain times. A shining beacon in this is the Empire of Man, a largely Xenophobic Empire that centers around the unity of Man and its worship of the "Summer God". Most human realms have bent the knee to the Emperor, and all non-human realms fear its hate and distrust of their alien races. The Empire has been on a long campaign to join more human realms to it, and destroy what non-human realms it finds. This is largely due to its distrust of non-humans and their former allegiance to the Dark Lord. One power stands to face against the Empire of Man, The [Name Here] Elven Alliance has been a tolerant and benevolent power attempting to counteract some of the wrongs of this world, joining all species together in peace. Its trading empire stretches the world over, almost an equal with the Empire. However; due to its stance and nature of existence tensions between the Empire and the Alliance have been at a high as their boarders of consolidated realms begin to creep closer.

The RP will begin at the very beginning of the conflict between the Empire and the Alliance, and will go through its completion. Thus setting the stage for other RPs within the world. Players are encouraged to have their own side RPs as well as participating in the main story arch. This arch will form the regional cannon which we also must decide on in this thread.

Here is a list of ideas that we are looking to put in the RP.

• We will have a map, that is open for suggestions and changes depending on what you all like. Here is something I have been sporting if you all like it: http://i.imgur.com/qmmh4Ms.jpg
  • Applications will be thoroughly reviewed for RP experience, we want to have RPers who are serious about forwarding the story.
  • Factbooks will be heavily encouraged (if not possibly required)
  • Players can join as several different things: They can have the option to join as a human vassal to the Empire (such as a Fiefdom, Duchy, even a sworn Kingdom), they can join as a Kingdom of any (approved) race allied to the Elven Alliance, A third party Realm that fits into the story (we won't be stringent on this but I want it to vibe somehow and be believable), A non-national group or organization (again needs to vibe), or a character.

Without further ado I will open this up for discussion!

Shakal
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Tue May 19, 2015 8:33 pm

Im very interested in this! I shall begin work on setting up my idea tonight but probably wont have anything to solid till thursday. Few quick questions:
Is it possible to be a sort of military order within this world eg templars, teutonic knights and so on.
Am I able to be a sworn kingdom that secretly helps non-humans and works in secret?
Since this is fantasy what are the restrictions on technology, for instance can I have a secret group of non-humans that craft weapons and armor for my men?

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Shakal wrote:Im very interested in this! I shall begin work on setting up my idea tonight but probably wont have anything to solid till thursday. Few quick questions:
Is it possible to be a sort of military order within this world eg templars, teutonic knights and so on.
Am I able to be a sworn kingdom that secretly helps non-humans and works in secret?
Since this is fantasy what are the restrictions on technology, for instance can I have a secret group of non-humans that craft weapons and armor for my men?

Ya a military order sounds fine as long as its well thought out, maybe even an order of Knights within the Empire of Man. There is another player who wants to do a mercenary group. Things behind the scenes that enhance the plot are deff welcome, so be as game of thrones behind the back as enhances the story.

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Tue May 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Achesia wrote:
Shakal wrote:Im very interested in this! I shall begin work on setting up my idea tonight but probably wont have anything to solid till thursday. Few quick questions:

Ya a military order sounds fine as long as its well thought out, maybe even an order of Knights within the Empire of Man. There is another player who wants to do a mercenary group. Things behind the scenes that enhance the plot are deff welcome, so be as game of thrones behind the back as enhances the story.

Ok I was just tossing out ideas for now.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm certainly interested. I have a desire to make a kingdom of monsters, a sort of counterbalance between the other forces that will oppose both sides but could also pit the other two against each other. It would be ruled by a vampire/lich king who has been around for a very long time and intentions (you guessed it) world conquest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk

Sound good?
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Britanania wrote:I'm certainly interested. I have a desire to make a kingdom of monsters, a sort of counterbalance between the other forces that will oppose both sides but could also pit the other two against each other. It would be ruled by a vampire/lich king who has been around for a very long time and intentions (you guessed it) world conquest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk

Sound good?

I mean we are open to ideas deff but we havnt opened applications just yet. Just sporting ideas.

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Tue May 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Im torn between a kind of Knight Realm/order that operates within the Empire and possibly outside it that hunts these creatures and a medium sized kingdom of former enemies to the Empire only recently brought to heel by force a fifteen years ago. They can offer help to the various other creatures in exchange for smithing and magic teaching (if included) in secret in order to displace the occupying Empire forces.
Last edited by Shakal on Tue May 19, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exantos
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Exantos » Tue May 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Ok. So in this situation. I believe we need to figure out 1. what will start the conflict between the empire. Something that would put people on sides within this conflict. Then 2. How this conflict will procede and what the end results will be. As this is a roleplay it will be player lead. So as OP you can probably come up with 3 ideas, and steer the conflict in that direction. Like 1. Unity of all nations in the face of a greater threat, 2. One nation wiped out, 3. Something else.

But yeah priority is to get up the idea of how this conflict will start.
"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."-Alfred Adler

Naretion
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Naretion » Wed May 20, 2015 7:12 am

I'm torn between playing the remnants of a nation destroyed by the empire, left to fight with guerrilla tactics on the inside, hoping for a large force to assist them.

Or to import my race from Lost Age.
Hope Shall Prevail

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 am

Exantos wrote:Ok. So in this situation. I believe we need to figure out 1. what will start the conflict between the empire. Something that would put people on sides within this conflict. Then 2. How this conflict will procede and what the end results will be. As this is a roleplay it will be player lead. So as OP you can probably come up with 3 ideas, and steer the conflict in that direction. Like 1. Unity of all nations in the face of a greater threat, 2. One nation wiped out, 3. Something else.

But yeah priority is to get up the idea of how this conflict will start.

Perhaps the catalyst could be something like these knights of the Empire I described finding a large group of hidden non-humans within the empire and beginning a sort of inquisition style thing investigating the various lords an such? This can then eventually cause a rift in the Empire and push some sides to the Elven Alliance? All the meanwhile having a second coming of evil type scenario that very few actually know about who gather what they can to face it?

Exantos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Exantos » Wed May 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah, basically whatever. It's just that we need it to gain popularity or else this one will die without it getting off the ground either.

The knights of kings
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The knights of kings » Wed May 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Well put Achesia and welcome back any old dog members of the Lost Age group, both before and after this post. The veterans at least know that this group had several major configurations each with its decline, each iteration has done its best to fix the problems of the old one. This is no different, but instead we are trying to get some good dialogue especially with the old dogs about their opinions on how this should be run. Shakal, while you have already shown your eagerness to start a group, which is good, I think our primary goal for this small ooc is to discuss how we want to set this group up. Before we can pick sides and create our own nations we first need to build the base world. Like Exantos said, we need to keep interest and have a genuine good story arch which Achesia and myself have been discussing.

As for myself Id like to note that the previous iterations of this group have been very free, races could be created at will and sometimes could be quite silly. While I was definitely apart of this I too will be the first to admit that this created an interest issue. Some races and ideas, while remaining good ideas, just didnt fit well into the world we were building. What Achesia and I have discussed is that this is a medieval/ dark ages world populated by far, with man. Non-humans exist, but largely are shunned by society and actively hunted, this is a dark gritty time. Like Achesia mentioned though we are going to run this by the term "semi-realism", this is low fantasy. Magic is considered a very rare trait and its seen as a taboo thing to practice, largely outlawed by many human societies. Yes, that means there will be no army of mages gallivanting around, nor will armies be dressed in some sort of ward casting armor. Any mages are like warlocks, either secluded from the world or have powerful friends who tolerate their existence.

Thus I believe we should work on the following:

1.) Details to the story arch, a dating system as it will prove to be a timeline which can be flexible assuming we get more than one thread up.
2.) Agree on some generic races and their distribution on the map. NPC/barbarian kingdoms will take over the unclaimed spots.
3.) Rules, sadly we have t have a base set of rules we can all agree on to keep our vision in line. While artistic freedom and ideas are promoted we have to be able to know when to say no, and have the courage to say it.
4.)Chirp up about our own ideas. Share, share, share! This OOC is a skeleton for the next OOC which will be accepting applications, but right know this is all we have! We need ideas and I as co-admin want to hear everyones ideas and opinions. While I may have sounded abit restricting and overbearing in this post its all in good faith that we will come up with fantastic ideas here!

So yes like Achesia said, please discuss!

-Knights

Exantos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Exantos » Wed May 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Ok so as I said Tging with Achesia. I want to create a mercenary group and there are two reasons for that. 1. Is so I can basically do whatever I want, like if something seems to be dying I'll send troops in to try to capture some mines so we can steal gold or something like that. 2. I'll be able to have communication with both kingdoms. This means that I can have one half on the humans side and one half on the elves side. The main branch would be somewhere neutral so nobody would get pissant at me and then I can create multiple stories and cause all kinds of mischief. Oh joy.

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Well, thjs is interesting.

How would you feel about an inquisition esque group ?
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Wed May 20, 2015 5:47 pm

The knights of kings wrote:Well put Achesia and welcome back any old dog members of the Lost Age group, both before and after this post. The veterans at least know that this group had several major configurations each with its decline, each iteration has done its best to fix the problems of the old one. This is no different, but instead we are trying to get some good dialogue especially with the old dogs about their opinions on how this should be run. Shakal, while you have already shown your eagerness to start a group, which is good, I think our primary goal for this small ooc is to discuss how we want to set this group up. Before we can pick sides and create our own nations we first need to build the base world. Like Exantos said, we need to keep interest and have a genuine good story arch which Achesia and myself have been discussing.

As for myself Id like to note that the previous iterations of this group have been very free, races could be created at will and sometimes could be quite silly. While I was definitely apart of this I too will be the first to admit that this created an interest issue. Some races and ideas, while remaining good ideas, just didnt fit well into the world we were building. What Achesia and I have discussed is that this is a medieval/ dark ages world populated by far, with man. Non-humans exist, but largely are shunned by society and actively hunted, this is a dark gritty time. Like Achesia mentioned though we are going to run this by the term "semi-realism", this is low fantasy. Magic is considered a very rare trait and its seen as a taboo thing to practice, largely outlawed by many human societies. Yes, that means there will be no army of mages gallivanting around, nor will armies be dressed in some sort of ward casting armor. Any mages are like warlocks, either secluded from the world or have powerful friends who tolerate their existence.

Thus I believe we should work on the following:

1.) Details to the story arch, a dating system as it will prove to be a timeline which can be flexible assuming we get more than one thread up.
2.) Agree on some generic races and their distribution on the map. NPC/barbarian kingdoms will take over the unclaimed spots.
3.) Rules, sadly we have t have a base set of rules we can all agree on to keep our vision in line. While artistic freedom and ideas are promoted we have to be able to know when to say no, and have the courage to say it.
4.)Chirp up about our own ideas. Share, share, share! This OOC is a skeleton for the next OOC which will be accepting applications, but right know this is all we have! We need ideas and I as co-admin want to hear everyones ideas and opinions. While I may have sounded abit restricting and overbearing in this post its all in good faith that we will come up with fantastic ideas here!

So yes like Achesia said, please discuss!

-Knights

Fully understandable. Im not to good at world setting really or I would be trying. Perhaps we work on the assumtion that the Empire of man is less a homogeneous solid state and more a structured feudal one? As in all the conquered human kingdoms swear fealty and pay partial taxes and of course offer troops to defend against outside threat, but retain basic autonomy type thing like a sworn king/count/baron or whatever is more or less independent otherwise. I think it offers the best opportunity for roleplaying while maintaining the overall human xenophobe theme.

Chadacian
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chadacian » Wed May 20, 2015 5:58 pm

When you say non-humans, are there going to be set races? Like orcs, elves, and dwarves? I was also thinking, are the humans in this rp meant to outnumber the non-humans?

EDIT: I only ask because I am interested in this, but I am not sure if any of this has been fleshed out or generally agreed upon.
Last edited by Chadacian on Wed May 20, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skaixeque
Attaché

Founded: May 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaixeque » Wed May 20, 2015 5:59 pm

count me in lol I can do a lot of lore stuff and ext just let me know lol

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Wed May 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Chadacian wrote:When you say non-humans, are there going to be set races? Like orcs, elves, and dwarves? I was also thinking, are the humans in this rp meant to outnumber the non-humans?

EDIT: I only ask because I am interested in this, but I am not sure if any of this has been fleshed out or generally agreed upon.

I believe humans are supposed to be dominant from what I understand. But in order for the proposed Elven Alliance vs Empire conflict arc I think perhaps they form a united front and are not nearly as divided as the humans. Or at least I think that would be neat.

Chadacian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chadacian » Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Shakal wrote:
Chadacian wrote:When you say non-humans, are there going to be set races? Like orcs, elves, and dwarves? I was also thinking, are the humans in this rp meant to outnumber the non-humans?

I believe humans are supposed to be dominant from what I understand. But in order for the proposed Elven Alliance vs Empire conflict arc I think perhaps they form a united front and are not nearly as divided as the humans. Or at least I think that would be neat.

Yeah that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Would it be fair for the humans to be technologically dominant as well? Or does everyone have the same tech.

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Wed May 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Chadacian wrote:
Shakal wrote:

Yeah that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Would it be fair for the humans to be technologically dominant as well? Or does everyone have the same tech.

Depends on exactly how high tech your thinking. I mean the non-human species could have different specialities like construction from dwarves, and elves have better armor and weapons. ext... So if they fight independently of eachother they would fall to the humans but together with pooled resources they are equal to men. This way while men may have the best overall technology they can be matched when their enemies stand together.

Chadacian
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chadacian » Wed May 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Shakal wrote:
Chadacian wrote:

Depends on exactly how high tech your thinking. I mean the non-human species could have different specialities like construction from dwarves, and elves have better armor and weapons. ext... So if they fight independently of eachother they would fall to the humans but together with pooled resources they are equal to men. This way while men may have the best overall technology they can be matched when their enemies stand together.

I like that idea, and like the OP said, I feel like with some magic-users sprinkled throughout the races it would make the non-humans uniting essential to their survival, which gives a reason for the Eleven Alliance to exist.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed May 20, 2015 9:42 pm

I like all that is said. Just a reminder to everyone there will still be an application so that is something we also will have to discuss as a group as to how to go about that. I agree with Knight of Kings, needs to be Low Fantasy with a sprinkle of magic, so we will discuss what our tech and magic limits and guidelines will be. Mostly I say we need to draw the line at gunpowder, none of that. But armor, crossbows, etc etc is fine. Magic we will have to put a limit on the crazy or that can get out of hand.

For those who were asking the Empire of Man is a very feudal state (much like the Seven Kingdoms) I am a big game of thrones fan so I threw little bit of my flavor and spice into it and made it original. So those players who do want to play a sworn part of the Empire can do that (but no one is forced to, just a cool option).

For a beginning catalyst let me know what you all think:

Centered on the rival Elf Alliance/Empire of man feud. We can have a minor faction whos leader is Trying to marry his daughter to the empire for favor, but the daughter loves someones son who is a member of a faction allied with the elves. The mother of the daughter finds pity in their love and allows them to see each other but the daughter becomes pregnant. The Emperor is offended and demands the daughters head be cut off for dishonor if any alliance with the Empire is to continue. Father refuses out of love for his daughter so the Empire in a "show you who's boss" kind of way sends an army to de-throne them. The Elf alliance counters sending an army, and thus a war breaks out due to the already heated tensions between the two rivals.

Im open for ideas, let me know how it goes. With this RP we will hit an outline of what we want to see from it, and then we will RP it that way (nothing too ridged just a guideline).

Ive been moving all day so thats why I have been slow to post, Im glad to see there is allot of excitement for this.

Did everyone like the map?
Last edited by Achesia on Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naretion
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Naretion » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 am

Map seems good. Catalyst seems to work, if not a bit cheesy. The desire for a woman yet again causing unimaginable disaster. But it works. "Tensions" shouldn't really break into war because of a romantic relationship. Tensions in my opinion should lead to something more like a border dispute, conflicting claims on new territories, or an issue over an escaped criminal. But that's just my opinion.
Hope Shall Prevail

Shakal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakal » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 am

Naretion wrote:Map seems good. Catalyst seems to work, if not a bit cheesy. The desire for a woman yet again causing unimaginable disaster. But it works. "Tensions" shouldn't really break into war because of a romantic relationship. Tensions in my opinion should lead to something more like a border dispute, conflicting claims on new territories, or an issue over an escaped criminal. But that's just my opinion.

I also really like the map! Maybe add some more geographic features like lakes and rivers. While it seems cheesy we need to remember that these two sides hate eachother already and are more or less looking for an excuse to fight. I think the Emperor would definitely send an army in this case. If he doesnt he would seem weak and recently defeated enemies could rebel.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Thu May 21, 2015 9:25 am

Shakal wrote:
Naretion wrote:Map seems good. Catalyst seems to work, if not a bit cheesy. The desire for a woman yet again causing unimaginable disaster. But it works. "Tensions" shouldn't really break into war because of a romantic relationship. Tensions in my opinion should lead to something more like a border dispute, conflicting claims on new territories, or an issue over an escaped criminal. But that's just my opinion.

I also really like the map! Maybe add some more geographic features like lakes and rivers. While it seems cheesy we need to remember that these two sides hate eachother already and are more or less looking for an excuse to fight. I think the Emperor would definitely send an army in this case. If he doesnt he would seem weak and recently defeated enemies could rebel.

I can keep trying to generate a map with desired features. I am currently using this: http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/ to make a map and then edit the claims in MS paint over it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents