NATION

PASSWORD

The seal of the confessional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Albicia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

The seal of the confessional

Postby Albicia » Wed May 13, 2015 1:55 pm

What is the general view here on the seal of the confessional? Is it a holy sacrament and an integral part of freedom of religion, or does it provide cover for sex offenders and murderers? Should priests be held accountable for the crimes they forgive in confession? Does the Catholic Church subvert the rule of law through confession?

I'm interested in hear the responses. I had a very loud argument with a progressive Catholic friend over this; she believes that the sacrament shouldn't be used to protect criminals, whereas I take the traditional view the the seal is unbreakable.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 pm

In such cases, the Priest should be allowed to ask the Papacy to provide them with permission (which should be granted) to say what has been said, and allow him the time for a reply before his testimony.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed May 13, 2015 2:04 pm

The priest offers religious absolution, not secular pardon; a sin absolved is not an indictment dismissed. Since many European states have a history of established religion to which civil authority defers in certain matters, the seal of the confessional was usually considered inviolable. The confessor is required by oath to maintain the seal.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Wed May 13, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Wed May 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Even as a Laïciste, I do have to say that there are some things the state should stay off. The seal of the confessional is one of the few I do considered as "Inviolable"
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Albicia wrote:What is the general view here on the seal of the confessional? Is it a holy sacrament and an integral part of freedom of religion, or does it provide cover for sex offenders and murderers? Should priests be held accountable for the crimes they forgive in confession? Does the Catholic Church subvert the rule of law through confession?

I'm interested in hear the responses. I had a very loud argument with a progressive Catholic friend over this; she believes that the sacrament shouldn't be used to protect criminals, whereas I take the traditional view the the seal is unbreakable.

What's your opinion? It's considered polite, if not actually required, for you to state your opinion on the matter you propose for discussion.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Allowing those who are a danger to others to continue performing dangerous acts rather than trying to stop them when you have the capacity to do so is dispicable. If priests are concerned about their souls for breaking confession, perhaps they should be concerns for their souls when they allow murderers, rapists, and child molesters to go unstopped. If you must be damned, choose damnation that saves the lives of others. If your god cannot understand that, he is not a god worth worshipping.
United Marxist Nations wrote:In such cases, the Priest should be allowed to ask the Papacy to provide them with permission (which should be granted) to say what has been said, and allow him the time for a reply before his testimony.

They will never give it. The papacy has been adamant that they are unwilling to make exceptions to this under any circumstance. There's a reason nothing happens to child molesters among the Church.
Farnhamia wrote:
Albicia wrote:What is the general view here on the seal of the confessional? Is it a holy sacrament and an integral part of freedom of religion, or does it provide cover for sex offenders and murderers? Should priests be held accountable for the crimes they forgive in confession? Does the Catholic Church subvert the rule of law through confession?

What's your opinion? It's considered polite, if not actually required, for you to state your opinion on the matter you propose for discussion.

They said in the last sentence that they believe the seal is in breakable.
Last edited by Threlizdun on Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm of the belief that rather than the government forcing them to break the seal, the church must allow them to do so.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed May 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Allowing those who are a danger to others to continue performing dangerous acts rather than trying to stop them when you have the capacity to do so is dispicable. If priests are concerned about their souls for breaking confession, perhaps they should be concerns for their souls when they allow murderers, rapists, and child molesters to go unstopped. If you must be damned, choose damnation that saves the lives of others. If your god cannot understand that, he is not a god worth worshipping.
United Marxist Nations wrote:In such cases, the Priest should be allowed to ask the Papacy to provide them with permission (which should be granted) to say what has been said, and allow him the time for a reply before his testimony.

They will never give it. The papacy has been adamant that they are unwilling to make exceptions to this under any circumstance. There's a reason nothing happens to child molesters among the Church.

In that case, the Church's position is unconscionable, and should be debated at all fronts, both within and without the Church.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed May 13, 2015 2:21 pm

The seal of the confessional is utterly inviolable; there are no exceptions.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 pm

It should be subject to the same rules as attorney-client privilege.
I.E, if someone goes to confess a past crime, they may hold the seal.
If they indicate an intention to commit a future crime, the priest/lawyer is duty bound to report it.

Further, if a lawyer goes to another lawyer and indicates they are abusing their status as a lawyer to commit a crime (Blackmailing their clients, for instance.) that lawyer is duty bound to report it to the bar association.
Similarly, if a priest reports to a priest that they are fucking the altar boys, that priest should be duty bound to report it.

I think this should be enshrined in law. If the church refuses to comply, those who refuse to comply should be arrested or fined.
In cases of priests reporting to other priests, arguments could be made that the church is a criminal organization if it is their doctrine to refuse to report, allowing it to be outlawed.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed May 13, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Diopolis wrote:The seal of the confessional is utterly inviolable; there are no exceptions.
So it is better to let a murderer kill again than for you to just tell someone? The Church doesn't think enabling murderers is a sin?
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed May 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:It should be subject to the same rules as attorney-client privilege.
If they indicate an intention to commit a future crime, the priest/lawyer is duty bound to report it.

Further, if a lawyer goes to another lawyer and indicates they are abusing their status as a lawyer to commit a crime (Blackmailing their clients, for instance.) that lawyer is duty bound to report it to the bar association.
Similarly, if a priest reports to a priest that they are fucking the altar boys, that priest should be duty bound to report it.

I think this should be enshrined in law. If the church refuses to comply, those who refuse to comply should be arrested or fined.
Agreed entirely.
She/they

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed May 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Diopolis wrote:The seal of the confessional is utterly inviolable; there are no exceptions.
So it is better to let a murderer kill again than for you to just tell someone? The Church doesn't think enabling murderers is a sin?

The fact that the murderer has already confessed shows that whether the priest divulges the murder to other authorities is utterly irrelevant to the life of the victim. A pardon from a confessor isn't enabling a non-murderer to commit murder, or a deterrence to a would-be murderer from murder.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:It should be subject to the same rules as attorney-client privilege.

Agreed entirely.

I'll add, that if someone indicates an intention to commit a future crime in confession, then their confession cannot reasonable be construed to have been made in good faith with the objective of penance, so it might be theologically dodgy to consider it a confession in the first place, though i'm not sure.
I will say that, regardless of what the crime is, if someone confesses to a past crime, and gives no indication of future crime, and is not a priest abusing their position, that the clergy should be able to hold their seal.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:So it is better to let a murderer kill again than for you to just tell someone? The Church doesn't think enabling murderers is a sin?

The fact that the murderer has already confessed shows that whether the priest divulges the murder to other authorities is utterly irrelevant to the life of the victim. A pardon from a confessor isn't enabling a non-murderer to commit murder, or a deterrence to a would-be murderer from murder.

This is why I suggest it be subject to the same rules as attorney-client privelege.

You may confess to murder, and the priest may keep your secret.
You may not confess to murder, say "and i'm doing it again tommorow." and expect the same treatment.
This is the same standard lawyers are held to.
Ostro.MOV

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed May 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Agreed entirely.

I'll add, that if someone indicates an intention to commit a future crime in confession, then their confession cannot reasonable be construed to have been made in good faith with the objective of penance, so it might be theologically dodgy to consider it a confession in the first place, though i'm not sure.
I will say that, regardless of what the crime is, if someone confesses to a past crime, and gives no indication of future crime, and is not a priest abusing their position, that the clergy should be able to hold their seal.

I don't think a priest can absolve a crime yet to be committed, but otherwise quite reasonable.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 pm

In the aftermath of the Tarasoff decision, which went overboard against confidentiality, most states passed legislation, or their courts imposed rule interpretations. which allowed professionals in positions which required confidentiality (psychologists, attorneys etc.) to breach confidentiality only if there was an immediate danger to named persons. The NASW Code of Ethics follows this rule.

So, if a client says "I have a plan and I am going to go kill Joe Smith", the the professional may breach confidentiality and notify authorities. But if the client says "I have a drug addiction which I am trying to quit, but I do not want to leave my job as an OR nurse", there is no named individual at risk, and if the professional breached confidentiality she is guilty of misconduct.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I don't think a priest can absolve a crime yet to be committed, but otherwise quite reasonable.

That's why I think they should consider it something they should be able to report to the authorities.
They havn't actually engaged in a confessional. It's not, really, breaking a seal.

"I killed a man, and i'm doing it again tommorow."

The priest should indicate that the person intends to kill someone tommorow to the authorities.
Ostro.MOV

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed May 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:I don't think a priest can absolve a crime yet to be committed, but otherwise quite reasonable.

That's why I think they should consider it something they should be able to report to the authorities.
They havn't actually engaged in a confessional. It's not, really, breaking a seal.

The priest should indicate that the person intends to kill someone tommorow to the authorities.

I agree fully. Though the question arises, why would such a person ever announce his intention to an outsider as a priest? He would know that the priest can't pardon a sin that doesn't yet exist.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I agree fully. Though the question arises, why would such a person ever announce his intention to an outsider as a priest? He would know that the priest can't pardon a sin that doesn't yet exist.

People still fall afoul of confessing future crimes to their lawyers too.
It's mostly a matter of ignorance as to what they can and cannot be expected to keep secret.
Ostro.MOV

Lleu llaw Gyffes
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lleu llaw Gyffes » Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 pm

The big abuse is rape of children. We need a statute than when rapists confess and the priest don't tell the police, then the priest goes to jail for aiding and abetting, accessory after the facts. If a priest tells and the bishop sacks him, the bishop goes to jail.

Freedom of Worship is excellent, but we don't use it to permit Human Sacrifice, neither should it be applied to encourage rape

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 pm

1: Provides cover for criminals.
2: There's certainly an argument for them being accessories to the crimes.
3: Yes.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed May 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I think it should be held to a similar standard as doctor/patient privilege. They shouldn't have to disclose past crimes, but should have to disclose intent to commit future crimes.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed May 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

I believe(I've never done it, but I have heard it, mostly from a couple of theology teachers) the common practice for dealing with confessions of serious crimes is that the penance given will be to confess to the authorities. If they don't, they don't get absolution.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed May 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Lleu llaw Gyffes wrote:The big abuse is rape of children. We need a statute than when rapists confess and the priest don't tell the police, then the priest goes to jail for aiding and abetting, accessory after the facts. If a priest tells and the bishop sacks him, the bishop goes to jail.

Freedom of Worship is excellent, but we don't use it to permit Human Sacrifice, neither should it be applied to encourage rape

That's illegal, as it violates the free exercise of religion.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General