NATION

PASSWORD

Dangerous Scientific Myths: What Bugs You?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Dangerous Scientific Myths: What Bugs You?

Postby The Klishi Islands » Tue May 12, 2015 3:24 pm

First off, this is not a religion bash. I know we have many passionate agnostics and atheists. I'm not looking for religious beliefs- you'll see what I do mean next. Please keep those out, as I have a feeling they'll distract from the topics I'm aiming to discuss.

Now, I know that NSG is for the most part very scientifically oriented and look for objective evidence like me. So, my question here is: what common myths, misconceptions, or conspiracies do you believe are A) prevalent in today's society and B) potentially dangerous. For example...

1. Climate Change Denial. Fairly self-explanatory. Climate change has been proven (link is also in my sig) to be happening and to be human-caused, and the debate obviously needs to be on solutions instead of the validity of the science. Denial is extremely dangerous because it leads to inaction, which could lead to the displacement or even starvation of millions of people (to put it simply).

2. Autism is connected to Vaccines. Proven false (link also in my sig) and a hoax, the stubbornly prevalent belief already has led to outbreaks of previously-almost-dead diseases in the USA, UK, and other countries. Herd immunity is extremely important in the prevention of disease, so IMHO vaccinations should be made mandatory for all children who don't have an allergic reaction because there's simply no proof of any adverse negative effects.

So what myths, misconceptions, or conspiracies are having or could have adverse effects on society? Have at it, NSG.
Last edited by The Klishi Islands on Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open. ~ Unknown

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue May 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Climate change denial really bugs me, because during my lifetime, I will have to endure the consequences of climate change because people choose to ignore it rather that doing anything about it.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue May 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Climate Change denial is far and away the most harmful piece of ignorance in society right now, and it needs to be stamped out soon. And then, some meaningful change needs to be made.

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Well the two you pointed out is the top ones for me.

Though one that bugs me...? Can I say eugenics/breeding a superbeing breeding an ideal human?
Last edited by Fanosolia on Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Added some images to the OP to beef it up a bit, because it looked a little weak once submitted.

Fanosolia wrote:Well the two you pointed out is the top ones for me.

Though one that bugs me...? Can I say eugenics/breeding a superbeing?

You can say whatever you want, I ain't stopping you. What do you mean by breeding a superbeing?
Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open. ~ Unknown

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue May 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Merizoc wrote:Climate Change denial is far and away the most harmful piece of ignorance in society right now, and it needs to be stamped out soon. And then, some meaningful change needs to be made.

It probably won't get stamped out, due to how strong the petroleum industry is. The people leading these industries do not care about the climate; they just care about making as much money as possible. It's all about greed.

Even still, those leading these industries are so old that they won't even be alive once shit really hits the fan.

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 3:35 pm

The Klishi Islands wrote:Added some images to the OP to beef it up a bit, because it looked a little weak once submitted.

Fanosolia wrote:Well the two you pointed out is the top ones for me.

Though one that bugs me...? Can I say eugenics/breeding a superbeing?

You can say whatever you want, I ain't stopping you. What do you mean by breeding a superbeing?

Changed it to ideal human to make it more understandable. more or less the "Übermensch" concept, or thinking that birthing someone with from athletic genes would guarantee them to be an athlete.
Last edited by Fanosolia on Tue May 12, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 12, 2015 3:38 pm

I can add two...fear of Genetically modified foods and fear of nuclear power. Both of those are dangerous in different ways.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:I can add two...fear of Genetically modified foods and fear of nuclear power. Both of those are dangerous in different ways.

Crap how'd I forget about those two?! :lol: they're like hallmarks of NSG debate.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I can add two...fear of Genetically modified foods and fear of nuclear power. Both of those are dangerous in different ways.

Crap how'd I forget about those two?! :lol: they're like hallmarks of NSG debate.

Oh yeah and denial of evolution.
Just A Little though

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:

oh that too. Though I don't know if that's as dangerous as not teaching it schools. Then again, this is coming from a person that went to a school that skipped that unit, but still!
Last edited by Fanosolia on Tue May 12, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

oh that too. Though I don't know if that's as dangerous as not teaching it schools. Then again, this is coming from a person that went to a school that skipped that unit, but still!

Evolution is why we have bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
Just A Little though

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue May 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Speaking as someone who's not quite in favor of GMO's, and supportive of safe, regulated nuclear power, I'd say there are reasoned arguments to be had from both sides of both of those debates. Though, admittedly, many arguments are pretty stupid.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Merizoc wrote:

Speaking as someone who's not quite in favor of GMO's, and supportive of safe, regulated nuclear power, I'd say there are reasoned arguments to be had from both sides of both of those debates. Though, admittedly, many arguments are pretty stupid.

Hence why I specifically said fear of GMOs and fear of nuclear power. Questioning the safety of both is a different thing entirely and can be answered through experimentation for the first and good engineering for the second.
Just A Little though

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm

The morons who rant against vaccinations are sadly never the ones affected by the outcome.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm

That people on the autism spectrum don't have empathy, and are responsible for a string of school shootings contrary to actual studies.

Of-course my favorite one is that either a) Mentally ill people deserve to be like this because they are moral failures. Or b) The mentally ill are violent, and cannot be trusted.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Mine largely coincide with your two, though another big one for me is the GMO paranoia, especially when the government of one nation (Zambia) I think, in ignorance refused international aid and let the people starve as an alternative to accepting GMOs.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:

Evolution is why we have bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

Fair point. I mean that's why It should be taught in schools, at least ones funded by the government, so then that misconception is less prevalent.

I guess I used poor word structure, sorry about that :unsure:

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue May 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Man you should read the comments on the HuffPost article about Bill Nye's reasons for changing his opinion of GMO's. Oy vey.

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Benuty wrote:That people on the autism spectrum don't have empathy, and are responsible for a string of school shootings contrary to actual studies.

Of-course my favorite one is that either a) Mentally ill people deserve to be like this because they are moral failures. Or b) The mentally ill are violent, and cannot be trusted.

Holy crap! Is that thing about the autism spectrum an actual thing that people think? That's revolting.
Last edited by Fanosolia on Tue May 12, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chazicaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Chazicaria » Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

GMOs. People act like they're responsible for damn-near every last medical ailment people can get, yet for 20 years, science has proven time and time again that they're definitely safe. Then, one asshole comes along (Seralini) and publishes a terribly performed study that he'd performed and that happens to show they cause huge tumors on rats. Nevermind the list of issues the study had, or the fact it was retracted eventually, but people still bought in to it.

Worse yet, eco-terrorists like Greenpeace have influenced foreign governments into regulating these crops and actively attacked fields that contain test crops, setting research back by months in some cases.

And don't even get me started on the miracle claims about organic food. Snake oil.

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue May 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Chazicaria wrote:GMOs. People act like they're responsible for damn-near every last medical ailment people can get, yet for 20 years, science has proven time and time again that they're definitely safe. Then, one asshole comes along (Seralini) and publishes a terribly performed study that he'd performed and that happens to show they cause huge tumors on rats. Nevermind the list of issues the study had, or the fact it was retracted eventually, but people still bought in to it.

Worse yet, eco-terrorists like Greenpeace have influenced foreign governments into regulating these crops and actively attacked fields that contain test crops, setting research back by months in some cases.

And don't even get me started on the miracle claims about organic food. Snake oil.

Naw man I got one for you. Grasswheat 8)

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue May 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Man you should read the comments on the HuffPost article about Bill Nye's reasons for changing his opinion of GMO's. Oy vey.

Hm. Seems he and I have somewhat similar views on the topic, though I'm a bit more skeptical about their necessity.

But yeah, the people saying the cause cancer or some bullshit like that are being ridiculous.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue May 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Chazicaria wrote:GMOs. People act like they're responsible for damn-near every last medical ailment people can get, yet for 20 years, science has proven time and time again that they're definitely safe. Then, one asshole comes along (Seralini) and publishes a terribly performed study that he'd performed and that happens to show they cause huge tumors on rats. Nevermind the list of issues the study had, or the fact it was retracted eventually, but people still bought in to it.

:rofl:

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
Benuty wrote:That people on the autism spectrum don't have empathy, and are responsible for a string of school shootings contrary to actual studies.

Holy crap! Is that thing about the autism spectrum an actual thing that people think? That's revolting.

Unfortunately, yeah Penn Jillette of all people defended those with Asperger's when a host claimed they could potentially go off due to a video game addiction. This happened shortly after people started claiming Lanza had Aspergers, and not surprisingly people lost their shit (not in the good way either). Evidence has proven to the contrary that Lanza did not have Aspergers at all.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General