NATION

PASSWORD

Welfare issue and happiness ranking

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 12, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Welfare issue and happiness ranking

Postby Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan » Tue May 05, 2015 1:59 am

Hello!

I was just wondering how I could receive a welfare issue if there's no welfare spending by the government. Seems a bit strange to me.
Also, I noticed that Communist Georgiaa is ranked amongst the Top 10 % for happiest citizens, scoring 10, but strangely enough, Woregono scores 11 and is not ranked amongst the Top 10 %. Is there anyone who could explain this please? Thanks. :)
Last edited by Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan on Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Account taken over by Jute from Dooplevinia

Paginista
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Paginista » Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 am

Wealfare =/= guaranteed happiness. Sure it can help but you also got to take into account things like civil and political rights

I'm back. New, improved and having learned that other nation roleplay games online are somehow worse than nation-states. Expect me to unironically defend the prequels.
Communizer. Political compass tests and trying to boil politics down to graphs, regardless of how many dimenstions, is a fools erend
Militaristic MT/PMT hellscape nation on forums, in my region's stuff (if it's ever a thing) a reforming communistic society.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 am

Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan wrote:Hello!

I was just wondering how I could receive a welfare issue if there's no welfare spending by the government. Seems a bit strange to me.
Also, I noticed that [nation=short]Communist Georgiaa[/nation] is ranked amongst the Top 10 % for happiest citizens, scoring 10, but strangely enough, [nation=short]Woregono[/nation] scores 11 and is not ranked amongst the Top 10 %. Is there anyone who could explain this please? Thanks. :)

They come up randomly, and there;s nothing you can do to get one sooner, but there are a lot of issues relating to welfare, so you should get one fairly soon.
As far as happiness, it's a very unreliable stat. Much like real people, your people are rather fickle, and their happiness fluctuates regularly.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan
Bureaucrat

Postby Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan » Tue May 05, 2015 2:14 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan wrote:Hello!

Also, I noticed that [nation=short]Communist Georgiaa[/nation] is ranked amongst the Top 10 % for happiest citizens, scoring 10, but strangely enough, [nation=short]Woregono[/nation] scores 11 and is not ranked amongst the Top 10 %. Is there anyone who could explain this please? Thanks. :)

They come up randomly, and there;s nothing you can do to get one sooner, but there are a lot of issues relating to welfare, so you should get one fairly soon.
As far as happiness, it's a very unreliable stat. Much like real people, your people are rather fickle, and their happiness fluctuates regularly.

I think I used poor wording. I asked how I was able to receive a welfare issue despite having none in this nation. I don't think it should have been possible. And I had another, unrelated question, namely how a nation with happiness 10 could be ranked higher than one that scored 11 on the scale.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue May 05, 2015 2:18 am

I don't think I can really answer your first question without seeing the issue.

As to the second, as I said, the happiness rating tends to fluctuate. The last time happiness was featured in the world census report, the first nation was in the top 10% and the other was not. The second one, as of now, has surpassed the first, but the rankings have not yet been updated.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan
Bureaucrat

Postby Gfiewgjknsiorjgiostan » Tue May 05, 2015 2:27 am

Idzequitch wrote:I don't think I can really answer your first question without seeing the issue.

As to the second, as I said, the happiness rating tends to fluctuate. The last time happiness was featured in the world census report, the first nation was in the top 10% and the other was not. The second one, as of now, has surpassed the first, but the rankings have not yet been updated.

Excuse me.
The Issue

A recent lull in legislation has sparked the fires of some bored politicians. After reviewing the back-log of constituent complaints, they've come to your desk demanding welfare reform.
The Debate

"The process ought to be made easier," says Inga Matthews, picking the grime out of her dirty fingernails. "It's so difficult convincing welfare administrators that I am actually a poor, helpless vagrant on the brink of homelessness! When you finally do, you get tangled up in all the red tape, and you're lucky to see a dime. The government should just trust my word and fork over the Gfiewgjknsiors I need to survive."

"The current system is not very efficient, I'll admit," says Falala Longbottom, a local welfare administrator and esteemed bureaucrat. "But we can't trust these bums to manage their welfare aid. How are we supposed to help them help themselves if they waste their benefits on things like trashy clothes and cheap alcohol? We need more authority over how the aid is spent, it's the only way we can be assured that it is used responsibly."

"Get the free-loaders off the government teat!" shouts conservative activist, Larry Lee. "The free-market system says that those who work hard will succeed. If these so-called 'needy people' would roll their sleeves up, lift a finger, and earn an honest living, we wouldn't be bankrupting our country helping them! The only sensible solution is to abolish all welfare programs, and let the natural, capitalist process take place."

"He has a point," says popular political pundit Erica Leach. "There are a lot of people in the system, and some of them don't really need to be there. The government should be finding these people jobs, so that our welfare system can survive and meet the needs of the truly impoverished. Of course, we're going to have to spend a few Gfiewgjknsiors to achieve this goal. But, what's a little tax hike if it means saving our dying welfare programs and the people who depend on them?"

"Capitalism is the very reason why we need welfare in the first place. Laissez-faire policies would only make the problem worse," argues political activist Marlon Washington. "If the government would ensure that all employers pay their employees the amount they need to live - no more, no less - then the problem of providing for the poor would disappear."

Also, I know it tends to fluctuate, it just seemed strange to me that in todays census nation with a lower score would sometimes be ranked higher than nations with an actually higher score.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri May 08, 2015 7:30 pm

you have welfare. It is 1. That's how you can get a welfare issue with LITTLE welfare.

p.s. this is my 2600 post! Dang, I have a long time to go before becoming a post kaiser. lol.
Last edited by Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf on Fri May 08, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.