NATION

PASSWORD

Tabula Rasa or not? Nature or nurture?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Tabula Rasa or not? Nature or nurture?

Postby Natapoc » Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Some decades ago mainstream psychology and others who study human behavior settled on the idea that human behavior is based off a mix of learned behavior (social conditioning, ect), and "instincts", "natural tendencies", and genetic predispositions and of course nearly everyone agrees that both play a big part in human behavior. Still everyone has a bit of a bias in one direction or the other, especially when data upon which to base a valid argument is sparse or contradictory.

I'm certain that everyone on NSG allows their opinions to be shaped solely by a rational evaluation of evidence and of course picks the interpretation that best fits their data.

But which tendency do you favor when there is simply not enough information to form a valid hypothesis?

Do you have a tendency to interpret human behavior from a "nature" or a "nurture" perspective?

I, personally, tend to interpret human behavior as learned until proven otherwise.

What do you think NSG?
Did you see a ghost?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 pm

I come down heavily on the side of nurture as the dominant influence on character.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon May 04, 2015 6:55 pm

I think it is a bit of both: the basic states that we have are nature, but we can fine-tune things by nurturing them.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm of the opinion that it's incredibly naive to say our environment doesn't shape the vast majority of our nature. Exactly how much though, we may never know.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Luziyca wrote:I think it is a bit of both: the basic states that we have are nature, but we can fine-tune things by nurturing them.

Of course it's a bit of both. Every rational person agrees that it's a bit of both.

But do you have any preference to interpret behavior one way or another when you don't have enough objective evidence to back it up?

In other words if a person exhibits behavior B (and no you are not allowed to pick which B. I could say anything from enjoyment of English poetry to sexual behavior ): What's the probability that it's predominantly influenced by genetics vs learned in your mind?
Did you see a ghost?

Flyover
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Flyover » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

While there are several known genetic stuffs that can have an impact on behavior and personality (ADHD, etc.) and several case studies where twins that were separated at birth ended up having similar jobs, hobbies, etc. I still believe that most human behavior is likely learned and influenced by the environment. I want to believe it's mostly nurture and personal choice, but I feel like it might end up being 50% Nature/50 Nurture.

In a case where I have to explain behavior, I do tend to pick nurture though. Seems more reasonable.
Last edited by Flyover on Mon May 04, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalist, Male, Cosmopolitan, American, Human-Rights Advocate. NS' Most Complicated Poster

Impeach Stupid, Tax Memes, Legalize Putting Things in the Wrong Order.

Quotes of Note:
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way. -Torisakia

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Mon May 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Both, though I suppose I'll err unto nurture.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon May 04, 2015 7:53 pm

I lean heavily toward nurture. It just seems like the heaviest influence out of both.
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Vandario
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 pm

I am support of both, have my reasons nurture because its very much true, thats simply fact, if someone is mistreated heavily in life chances are high, not always but high that they might repeat the behavior, victims of sexual abuse sometimes come out to be rapists later in life and such, but Nature also is huge, we are human and have many things in common with each other because of that little fact, but also, and this one is on me personally, I have no scientific proof so this is on my word alone, your welcome to accept it dismiss it, or take it with a grain of salt.
I was raised not around my biological father didn't even know the father who raised me, was not my biological father until I was about 18-19, wasn't mad or nothing, my mother had her reasons lots of complicated stuff, no need to go into it, its not important and personal.
See not only do I look quite a bit like my biological father, but he and I have quite alike personalities too, of course we still have our differences we all do, but he and I are very alike, but the father who raised me, I also have much alike to him personality wise, because of Nurture he raised me, he was there my whole life, where the one who is my biological father, who I've only first spoke to few years back, also much alike him in many ways, Nature, I think some of personality traits also are genetics, science has said already of a addict gene, if a parent has additive problems, that the child also run the risk, I myself having this making me extremely careful to most things, most my family smokes, and some have had pasts with alcohol abuse and hard drug use, so I have made it something to pretty much avoid or be very careful with.
My point is, I strongly say its both, not one or the other but both play a strong factor and varies from people to people, some its more Nurture then Nature and some more Nature then Nurture, but its a firm mix of the two.
Last edited by Vandario on Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You are a: Right-Leaning Authoritarian Isolationist Nativist Traditionalist
Collectivism score: -33%
Authoritarianism score: 67%
Internationalism score: -50%
Tribalism score: 67%
Liberalism score: -33%
Liberalism score: 0%

Political Compass: http://i.imgur.com/cbmUtGN.png Updated Feb 11th 2017
Political Objective: http://i.imgur.com/JO0drir.png Updated Nov 28th 2016
8 Values Test: http://i.imgur.com/v428sL7.png posted May 7 2017
Another Political Test: http://i.imgur.com/PkMqvzl.png
Nolan Chart: http://i.imgur.com/YB5TYbC.png

A Free Society is an Armed Society
Say no to Social Media kids. NS Stats are kind of silly, I follow my own.

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Vandario wrote:I am support of both, have my reasons nurture because its very much true, thats simply fact, if someone is mistreated heavily in life chances are high, not always but high that they might repeat the behavior, victims of sexual abuse sometimes come out to be rapists later in life and such, but Nature also is huge, we are human and have many things in common with each other because of that little fact, but also, and this one is on me personally, I have no scientific proof so this is on my word alone, your welcome to accept it dismiss it, or take it with a grain of salt.
I was raised not around my biological father didn't even know the father who raised me, was not my biological father until I was about 18-19, wasn't mad or nothing, my mother had her reasons lots of complicated stuff, no need to go into it, its not important and personal.
See not only do I look quiet a bit like my biological father, but he and I have quiet alike personalities too, of course we still have our differences we all do, but he and I are very alike, but the father who raised me, I also have much alike to him personality wise, because of Nurture he raised me, he was there my whole life, where the one who is my biological father, who I've only first spoke to few years back, also much alike him in many ways, Nature, I think some of personality traits also are genetics, science has said can already spoke of a addict gene, if a parent has additive problems, that the child also run the risk, I myself having this making me extremely careful to most things, most my family smokes, and some have had pasts with alcohol abuse and hard drug use, so I have made it something to pretty much avoid or be very careful with.
My point is, I strongly say its both, not one or the other but both play a strong factor and varies from people to people, some its more Nurture then Nature and some more Nature then Nurture, but its a firm mix of the two.

I believe nature can only go so far. After that, nurture takes it further.
I'm BIwinning
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon May 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Vandario wrote:I am support of both, have my reasons nurture because its very much true, thats simply fact, if someone is mistreated heavily in life chances are high, not always but high that they might repeat the behavior, victims of sexual abuse sometimes come out to be rapists later in life and such, but Nature also is huge, we are human and have many things in common with each other because of that little fact, but also, and this one is on me personally, I have no scientific proof so this is on my word alone, your welcome to accept it dismiss it, or take it with a grain of salt.
See not only do I look quite a bit like my biological father, but he and I have quiet alike personalities too, of course we still have our differences we all do, but he and I are very alike, but the father who raised me, I also have much alike to him personality wise, because of Nurture he raised me, he was there my whole life, where the one who is my biological father, who I've only first spoke to few years back, also much alike him in many ways, Nature, I think some of personality traits also are genetics, science has said can already spoke of a addict gene, if a parent has additive problems, that the child also run the risk, I myself having this making me extremely careful to most things, most my family smokes, and some have had pasts with alcohol abuse and hard drug use, so I have made it something to pretty much avoid or be very careful with.

Of course it's clear that it's both as I mentioned in the OP and elsewhere.

But what interpretation do you tend to favor when there is not enough information to fully conclude one way or the other in your mind?

It's a mix of course but what kind of mix? A 50/50 mix?

Are you saying that any arbitrarily selected behavior is equally influenced by both?
Did you see a ghost?

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon May 04, 2015 8:04 pm

While of course it's a mixture of both I feel that it leans towards the nurture part of the scale, this is of course discounting mental/neurological disorders such as autism spectrum disorder which may tip it the other way very slightly.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Vandario
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Mon May 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Natapoc wrote:
See not only do I look quite a bit like my biological father, but he and I have quiet alike personalities too, of course we still have our differences we all do, but he and I are very alike, but the father who raised me, I also have much alike to him personality wise, because of Nurture he raised me, he was there my whole life, where the one who is my biological father, who I've only first spoke to few years back, also much alike him in many ways, Nature, I think some of personality traits also are genetics, science has said can already spoke of a addict gene, if a parent has additive problems, that the child also run the risk, I myself having this making me extremely careful to most things, most my family smokes, and some have had pasts with alcohol abuse and hard drug use, so I have made it something to pretty much avoid or be very careful with.

But what interpretation do you tend to favor when there is not enough information to fully conclude one way or the other in your mind?

Are you saying that any arbitrarily selected behavior is equally influenced by both?

Well I guess it leans a bit more to Nurture then, I out of all my parents and the people who raised me I'm VERY alike to my mother, to levels that its almost scary, even personality tests she and I score about the same, but maybe it was Nurture that made me so, or possibly that just her genetics won out? I still lean more toward Nurture then Nature, but I'm very close to the middle, maybe a 60/40? Nurture being the 60

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon May 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Vandario wrote:
Natapoc wrote:

Well I guess it leans a bit more to Nurture then, I out of all my parents and the people who raised me I'm VERY alike to my mother, to levels that its almost scary, even personality tests she and I score about the same, but maybe it was Nurture that made me so, or possibly that just her genetics won out? I still lean more toward Nurture then Nature, but I'm very close to the middle, maybe a 60/40? Nurture being the 60

That's significantly different than 50/50
I'm BIwinning
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Vandario
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Mon May 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Kiruri wrote:
Vandario wrote:

That's significantly different than 50/50

it is? idk I don't think so, then again I've never been a numbers person, I'm just trying to say that it leans a bit more to Nurture but Nature is just about as much, would a better number be 55/45? idk whos to say there is no real measurement here
Last edited by Vandario on Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Mon May 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I've always been a fan of the idea of tabula rasa. However studies regarding the behavioral patterns of twins separated at birth have led me to believe that nature plays just as big, if not bigger, a role in behavioral development as nurture.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 pm

The two cannot really be separated. Nature influences nurture, which in turn influences nature in an endless loop.

A good example is the prevalence of left-handedness in warlike tribal societies. Left-handedness is largely caused by genetic, biological factors (nature). However, the warlike ways of some tribes (nurture) put a considerable evolutionary pressure on their men, those born left-handed having an advantage over the right-handed majority in combat and hence being more likely to survive long enough to secure a mate and have children, who will also be more likely to inherit and pass down their father's left-handedness (nature).

The average IQ of the Jewish people is measurably higher than that of their host nations - most likely as a result of centuries of evolutionary pressure that favoured the smart, the crafty, the cunning, qualities necessary to thrive in occupations that were historically available to the Jews, leading to people with those qualities being more likely to secure reproductive success. Furthermore, this pressure also affected Jewish culture, placing a social emphasis on learning and success, further contributing to evolutionary pressure favouring the intelligent within the Jewish community, enhanced by the fact that this community has historically been strongly endogamous.

Genetics do not define personality, but make it more inclined towards certain talents and behaviours. Experiences determine which of these inclinations will develop further.

Then there is also the relatively-poorly understood phenomenon of epigenetics, life experiences leaving their mark on the genes and becoming hereditary. For example, it was determined that people whose grandparents or parents had experienced famine were more prone to excessive gaining of weight than others. Mice were experimentally induced to associate cherry aroma with pain and fear it. The grandchildren of these mice were never exposed to the electric shocks that accompanied the release of cherry aroma, and had never even been in contact with their grandparents, yet they too displayed aversion to the scent of cherries.

So I think it is wrong to choose one or the other, when they in fact form one complex feedback cycle, the many factors of which are far from completely understood.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon May 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:The two cannot really be separated. Nature influences nurture, which in turn influences nature in an endless loop.

A good example is the prevalence of left-handedness in warlike tribal societies. Left-handedness is largely caused by genetic, biological factors (nature). However, the warlike ways of some tribes (nurture) put a considerable evolutionary pressure on their men, those born left-handed having an advantage over the right-handed majority in combat and hence being more likely to survive long enough to secure a mate and have children, who will also be more likely to inherit and pass down their father's left-handedness (nature).

The average IQ of the Jewish people is measurably higher than that of their host nations - most likely as a result of centuries of evolutionary pressure that favoured the smart, the crafty, the cunning, qualities necessary to thrive in occupations that were historically available to the Jews, leading to people with those qualities being more likely to secure reproductive success. Furthermore, this pressure also affected Jewish culture, placing a social emphasis on learning and success, further contributing to evolutionary pressure favouring the intelligent within the Jewish community, enhanced by the fact that this community has historically been strongly endogamous.

Genetics do not define personality, but make it more inclined towards certain talents and behaviours. Experiences determine which of these inclinations will develop further.

Then there is also the relatively-poorly understood phenomenon of epigenetics, life experiences leaving their mark on the genes and becoming hereditary. For example, it was determined that people whose grandparents or parents had experienced famine were more prone to excessive gaining of weight than others. Mice were experimentally induced to associate cherry aroma with pain and fear it. The grandchildren of these mice were never exposed to the electric shocks that accompanied the release of cherry aroma, and had never even been in contact with their grandparents, yet they too displayed aversion to the scent of cherries.

So I think it is wrong to choose one or the other, when they in fact form one complex feedback cycle, the many factors of which are far from completely understood.

You say the two cannot be separated but then you proceed to separate them...

I also made it clear in the OP that this is not about choosing one or the other but rather about describing the explanation you, personally, tend to show preference to when neither explanation has enough evidence of dominance.

So are you REALLY saying they are inseparable? Because it seems to me that you just separated them and explained how you view them as related in a type of evolutionary way.
Did you see a ghost?

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Sure there's a little room for nature, but it's mostly nurture. People's character traits or whatever you want to call them are products of society, not nature.

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 pm

I prefer to interpret it from a nurture perspective.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Both.
Insert trite farewell here

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon May 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Scomagia wrote:Both.

In your haste to answer the title I believe you have forgotten to read the OP. I suspect this is mainly a nurture response on your behalf.
Last edited by Natapoc on Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_%28feral_child%29
Even more information is available if you watch the video about Genie on YouTube.
I think this case is a strong argument that nature's effects on our behavior are limited.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Wulfenia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wulfenia » Mon May 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Probably have to go with both.
P2TM's favorite Fascist catgirl
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:It's called being a reactionary. No wonder you're unpopular.

Brusia
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brusia » Mon May 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Natapoc wrote:But which tendency do you favor when there is simply not enough information to form a valid hypothesis?

Do you have a tendency to interpret human behavior from a "nature" or a "nurture" perspective?

I, personally, tend to interpret human behavior as learned until proven otherwise.

What do you think NSG?

I'd like to think I wouldn't favor either nature or nurture until I have enough info to form a valid hypothesis, but since I'm only human and know that probably isn't the case, I'd say I tend to favor nature over nurture.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General