NATION

PASSWORD

Texas State Guard To Defend Texas From...U.S. Army?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Texas State Guard To Defend Texas From...U.S. Army?

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Yeah, pretty much, and it's just bizarre.

Since General Sam Houston executed his famous retreat to glory to defeat the superior forces of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Texas has been ground zero for military training. We have so many military bases in the Lone Star State we could practically attack Russia.

So when rookie Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced he was ordering the Texas National Guard to monitor a Navy SEAL/Green Beret joint training exercise, which was taking place in Texas and several other states, everybody here looked up from their iPhones. What?

It seems there is concern among some folks that this so-called training maneuver is just a cover story. What's really going on? President Obama is about to use Special Forces to put Texas under martial law.

Let's walk over by the fence where nobody can hear us, and I'll tell you the story.

You see, there are these Wal-Marts in West Texas that supposedly closed for six months for "renovation." That's what they want you to believe. The truth is these Wal-Marts are going to be military guerrilla-warfare staging areas and FEMA processing camps for political prisoners. The prisoners are going to be transported by train cars that have already been equipped with shackles.

Don't take my word for it. That comes directly from a Texas Ranger, who seems pretty plugged in, if you ask me. You and I both know President Obama has been waiting a long time for this, and now it's happening. It's a classic false flag operation. Don't pay any attention the mainstream media; all they're going to do is lie and attack everyone who's trying to tell you the truth.

Did I mention the ISIS terrorists? They've come across the border and are going to hit soft targets all across the Southwest. They've set up camp a few miles outside of El Paso.

That includes a Mexican army officer and Mexican federal police inspector. Not sure what they're doing there, but probably nothing good. That's why the Special Forces guys are here, get it? To wipe out ISIS and impose martial law. So now you know, whaddya say we get back to the party and grab another beer?

It's true that the paranoid world-view of right-wing militia types has remarkable stamina. But that's not news.

What is news is that there seem to be enough of them in Texas to influence the governor of the state to react — some might use the word pander — to them.

That started Monday when a public briefing by the Army in Bastrop County, which is just east of Austin, got raucous. The poor U.S. Army colonel probably just thought he was going to give a regular briefing, but instead 200 patriots shouted him down, told him was a liar and grilled him about the imminent federal takeover of Texas and subsequent imposition of martial law.

"We just want to make sure our guys are trained. We want to hone our skills," Lt. Col. Mark Listoria tried to explain in vain.

One wonders what Listoria was thinking to himself as he walked to his car after two hours of his life he'll never get back. God bless Texas? Maybe not.

The next day Gov. Abbott decided he had to take action. He announced that he was going to ask the State Guard to monitor Operation Jade Helm from start to finish.

"It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed upon," Abbott said.

The idea that the Yankee military can't be trusted down here has a long and rich history in Texas. But that was a while back. Abbott's proclamation that he was going to keep his eye on these Navy SEAL and Green Beret boys did rub some of our leaders the wrong way.

Former Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst tried to put it in perspective for outsiders when he explained, "Unfortunately, some Texans have projected their legitimate concerns about the competence and trustworthiness of President Barack Obama on these noble warriors. This must stop."

Another former Republican politician was a bit more pointed.

"Your letter pandering to idiots ... has left me livid," former State Rep. Todd Smith wrote Gov. Abbott. "I am horrified that I have to choose between the possibility that my Governor actually believes this stuff and the possibility that my Governor doesn't have the backbone to stand up to those who do."

There's no argument that after the 2014 election, Texas politics took a further step to the right. The 84th session of the state legislature has given ample proof of that. But the events of this last week have been an eye-opener for Texans of all political stripes.

You will find the names of Texans etched into marble at war memorials from Goliad to Gettysburg, from Verdun to the Ardennes and Washington, D.C. The governor's proposition that these soldiers and sailors constitute a potential threat and need watching as they go about their duties, certainly stakes out some new political ground for the leader of the Texas GOP to stand on.

What in the world are they putting in the water down there? Is the Governor serious? Does he think that this is a real threat? Or, alternately, as ex-Rep. Smith asked, are paranoid conspirators such a huge voting bloc down there that he has to pander to their interests?

Seriously, what the hell, Texas?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 pm

Maybe he smoked crack like Rob Ford did.

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 10:46 pm

I can understand the desire to monitor the federal military with state forces, as per the 10th amendment, but to think the US is going under martial law is insane. I'm actually surprised that we don't use our cities as training grounds. Using our own cities for training can prove very useful in the future, should a hypothetical WWIII break out, and we'll have to fight in the urban areas of Europe. I'm all for the training.
Last edited by New Laikland on Sat May 02, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:Maybe he smoked crack like Rob Ford did.

Even Ford, for all his faults, wasn't this nuts.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat May 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Yeah, pretty much, and it's just bizarre.

Since General Sam Houston executed his famous retreat to glory to defeat the superior forces of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Texas has been ground zero for military training. We have so many military bases in the Lone Star State we could practically attack Russia.

So when rookie Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced he was ordering the Texas National Guard to monitor a Navy SEAL/Green Beret joint training exercise, which was taking place in Texas and several other states, everybody here looked up from their iPhones. What?

It seems there is concern among some folks that this so-called training maneuver is just a cover story. What's really going on? President Obama is about to use Special Forces to put Texas under martial law.

Let's walk over by the fence where nobody can hear us, and I'll tell you the story.

You see, there are these Wal-Marts in West Texas that supposedly closed for six months for "renovation." That's what they want you to believe. The truth is these Wal-Marts are going to be military guerrilla-warfare staging areas and FEMA processing camps for political prisoners. The prisoners are going to be transported by train cars that have already been equipped with shackles.

Don't take my word for it. That comes directly from a Texas Ranger, who seems pretty plugged in, if you ask me. You and I both know President Obama has been waiting a long time for this, and now it's happening. It's a classic false flag operation. Don't pay any attention the mainstream media; all they're going to do is lie and attack everyone who's trying to tell you the truth.

Did I mention the ISIS terrorists? They've come across the border and are going to hit soft targets all across the Southwest. They've set up camp a few miles outside of El Paso.

That includes a Mexican army officer and Mexican federal police inspector. Not sure what they're doing there, but probably nothing good. That's why the Special Forces guys are here, get it? To wipe out ISIS and impose martial law. So now you know, whaddya say we get back to the party and grab another beer?

It's true that the paranoid world-view of right-wing militia types has remarkable stamina. But that's not news.

What is news is that there seem to be enough of them in Texas to influence the governor of the state to react — some might use the word pander — to them.

That started Monday when a public briefing by the Army in Bastrop County, which is just east of Austin, got raucous. The poor U.S. Army colonel probably just thought he was going to give a regular briefing, but instead 200 patriots shouted him down, told him was a liar and grilled him about the imminent federal takeover of Texas and subsequent imposition of martial law.

"We just want to make sure our guys are trained. We want to hone our skills," Lt. Col. Mark Listoria tried to explain in vain.

One wonders what Listoria was thinking to himself as he walked to his car after two hours of his life he'll never get back. God bless Texas? Maybe not.

The next day Gov. Abbott decided he had to take action. He announced that he was going to ask the State Guard to monitor Operation Jade Helm from start to finish.

"It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed upon," Abbott said.

The idea that the Yankee military can't be trusted down here has a long and rich history in Texas. But that was a while back. Abbott's proclamation that he was going to keep his eye on these Navy SEAL and Green Beret boys did rub some of our leaders the wrong way.

Former Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst tried to put it in perspective for outsiders when he explained, "Unfortunately, some Texans have projected their legitimate concerns about the competence and trustworthiness of President Barack Obama on these noble warriors. This must stop."

Another former Republican politician was a bit more pointed.

"Your letter pandering to idiots ... has left me livid," former State Rep. Todd Smith wrote Gov. Abbott. "I am horrified that I have to choose between the possibility that my Governor actually believes this stuff and the possibility that my Governor doesn't have the backbone to stand up to those who do."

There's no argument that after the 2014 election, Texas politics took a further step to the right. The 84th session of the state legislature has given ample proof of that. But the events of this last week have been an eye-opener for Texans of all political stripes.

You will find the names of Texans etched into marble at war memorials from Goliad to Gettysburg, from Verdun to the Ardennes and Washington, D.C. The governor's proposition that these soldiers and sailors constitute a potential threat and need watching as they go about their duties, certainly stakes out some new political ground for the leader of the Texas GOP to stand on.

What in the world are they putting in the water down there? Is the Governor serious? Does he think that this is a real threat? Or, alternately, as ex-Rep. Smith asked, are paranoid conspirators such a huge voting bloc down there that he has to pander to their interests?

Thoughts?

Eh... Texas being Texas.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Thoughts?

Eh... Texas being Texas.

This goes a bit beyond typical Texas stuff, at least in terms of actions of the state government.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Thoughts?

Eh... Texas being Texas.

Hey! I live in Texas and I resemble that remark!

In all seriousness, my little part of the state isn't quite as...loony. Houston-Galveston is a wonderful haven from what I'm learning to be a rather insane state.

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:This goes a bit beyond typical Texas stuff, at least in terms of actions of the state government.

Texas has a reputation for sticking up for its freedoms. That's what they're doing here. I'm all for states exercising their rights properly.

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm

How can a state be allowed to do this?
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Nickel Empire wrote:How can a state be allowed to do this?

Do what? Exercise it's rights?

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Sat May 02, 2015 10:59 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Nickel Empire wrote:How can a state be allowed to do this?

How is this a right if I may ask?
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Nickel Empire wrote:
New Laikland wrote:

How is this a right if I may ask?

States have a right, under the 10th amendment, to make their own laws, and do almost whatever they want free of federal influence. The federal government doesn't own all the land, the federal government is an organization to unite the independent states.

Wulfenia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wulfenia » Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 pm

What the actual fuck did I just read?

Let's give Texas a round of applause for outdoing itself yet again.
P2TM's favorite Fascist catgirl
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:It's called being a reactionary. No wonder you're unpopular.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Wulfenia wrote:What the actual fuck did I just read?

Let's give Texas a round of applause for outdoing itself yet again.

America's super edgy right wing teen does it again!

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Maybe he smoked crack like Rob Ford did.

Even Ford, for all his faults, wasn't this nuts.

True. In Canada this would be downright treasonous.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 11:04 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:This goes a bit beyond typical Texas stuff, at least in terms of actions of the state government.

Texas has a reputation for sticking up for its freedoms. That's what they're doing here. I'm all for states exercising their rights properly.

Their freedom from what exactly? Realistically, what freedom or freedoms are at risk, here?

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sat May 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Guessing Governor Abbot and a bunch of other Texas 'patriots' got laughed at again by their wives last night, so need to go wave guns about and make a lot of noise to prove to everyone that they're really big manly men you guys!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 11:05 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Nickel Empire wrote:How is this a right if I may ask?

States have a right, under the 10th amendment, to make their own laws, and do almost whatever they want free of federal influence. The federal government doesn't own all the land, the federal government is an organization to unite the independent states.

None of the laws of Texas are under any threat, nor is their ability to make and enforce said laws under threat from this exercise.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 pm

New Laikland wrote:I'm actually surprised that we don't use our cities as training grounds. Using our own cities for training can prove very useful in the future, should a hypothetical WWIII break out, and we'll have to fight in the urban areas of Europe. I'm all for the training.

The bad part of Detroit is perfect because it is mostly run down and abandoned anyways. If civilians were moved out of that zone, the army can get their urban warfare training and the city would get free demolition they won't have to pay for with explosive ordinance. :p
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Their freedom from what exactly? Realistically, what freedom or freedoms are at risk, here?

A few die-hard right wingers are afraid of tanks and APCs rolling down city streets, but that would be a good thing, in my opinion. However, there's nothing they're actually protecting against, but they CAN do it. That's the point. It doesn't matter why they're doing it, it matters that they CAN, and they are.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Laikland wrote:

None of the laws of Texas are under any threat, nor is their ability to make and enforce said laws under threat from this exercise.

Just their ability to look tough since the US military is in town.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat May 02, 2015 11:07 pm

I can't believe people like this are actually in our government.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat May 02, 2015 11:07 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Their freedom from what exactly? Realistically, what freedom or freedoms are at risk, here?

A few die-hard right wingers are afraid of tanks and APCs rolling down city streets, but that would be a good thing, in my opinion. However, there's nothing they're actually protecting against, but they CAN do it. That's the point. It doesn't matter why they're doing it, it matters that they CAN, and they are.

Ah. Got it. Understood. Feel free to ignore my second question, then, as it was also answered by this simple yet likely accurate reply.

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Sat May 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Ah. Got it. Understood. Feel free to ignore my second question, then, as it was also answered by this simple yet likely accurate reply.

Both of your questions were answered. There is no freedom at risk here. They can do it, and that's all that matters.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sat May 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Eh I'm a Natural born Texan but stuff like this doesn't bother me one bit. All I know is thepat in reality it's not defending or upholding freedoms it's actually political blustering by means abbot is telling Obama and the democrat party leaders to f**k off our "lawn" so to speak. Oh and OP get a better source who can actually read. It wasn't the national guard sent out to monitor the exercise it was the Texas State Guard.
Last edited by Gig em Aggies on Sat May 02, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General