NATION

PASSWORD

Murder on the Mediterranian

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Vasileus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vasileus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Italian police arrested 15 Muslim migrants who survivors said tossed 12 Christians from a boat during a recent Mediterranean crossing attempt. In a separate incident, 41 migrants were feared drowned as the situation in the region intensifies.

The Muslim migrants involved in the clash with Christians were arrested in the Sicilian city of Palmero and charged with "multiple aggravated murder motivated by religious hate," police said in a statement Thursday, according to the BBC. The victims were from Nigeria and Ghana. The suspects were from Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal.

Police learned of the incident through interviews with survivors, who said they boarded a rubber boat Tuesday off the Libyan coast with 105 passengers aboard, the Associated Press reported. The surviving Christians were able to remain onboard only by forming a "human chain" to resist the assault, police said.

Earlier Thursday, the International Organization of Migration said 41 migrants were feared dead after survivors were brought to a Sicilian port, Reuters reported. About 450 people may have died this week after 400 were presumed dead when another ship capsized off the Libya coast.

If this week's figures are confirmed, the death toll for the year would rise to more than 900. Nearly 10,000 migrants — mostly from North African nations — have been rescued since Friday.

Sources: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/christian-refugees-thrown-overboard-by-muslim-migrants-on-crossing-from-libya-to-italy-police-believe
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/17/refugees-drowned-for-being-christian.html

Tl:dr, refugee Christians on a ship towards Italy were told to convert to Islam or be thrown overboard. They refused, and were murdered for it.

Yet another bloody day on the Med. This really does put the who "refugees fleeing conflict into" argument to shame. Now, I've heard of ideas to set up European camps in North africa, to catch "refugees" before they decided to take a boat, and get their claims filed there, but in your great opinions, NSG, what should be done about the current illegal migration crisis into Europe? Clearly, things can't keep going as they are. Even without people murdering each other, thousands are drowning on the way over.
Last edited by Vasileus on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario born and raised. UofT student in International Relations. Lover of foreign languages.

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:31 pm

Why are Nigerians/Ghanians fleeing their countries? Those are one of the few relatively better of countries in Africa.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:32 pm

New Werpland wrote:Why are Nigerians/Ghanians fleeing their countries? Those are one of the few relatively better of countries in Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boko_Haram

Vasileus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vasileus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 pm

New Werpland wrote:Why are Nigerians/Ghanians fleeing their countries? Those are one of the few relatively better of countries in Africa.

Even without Boko Haram, a European country in recession is better prospects than one of the better African countries
Ontario born and raised. UofT student in International Relations. Lover of foreign languages.

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Just another incident of persecution and assault against Christians in the Middle East. This isn't even surprising anymore, though it is sad.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Jamzmania wrote:Just another incident of persecution and assault against Christians in the Middle East. This isn't even surprising anymore, though it is sad.

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:Just another incident of persecution and assault against Christians in the Middle East. This isn't even surprising anymore, though it is sad.

The murders just happened to be coming from the Middle East.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Vasileus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vasileus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Merizoc wrote:

North Africa, coming from Sub-Saharan africa.

But really, several people were killed by their faith, and we're talking about geography?

really?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Merizoc wrote:

It is dangerous enough for the tens of thousands of migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea from Libya to Italy on rickety fishing boats without religious tension thrown into the mix.

0 for 2.

Jamzmania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:The murders just happened to be coming from the Middle East.

It is dangerous enough for the tens of thousands of migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea from Libya to Italy on rickety fishing boats without religious tension thrown into the mix.

0 for 2.

I consider North Africa to be part of the Middle East. Even if you don't, it's irrelevant to the fact that persecution of Christians is epidemic in Muslim countries across the world.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:12 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Merizoc wrote:
0 for 2.

I consider North Africa to be part of the Middle East. Even if you don't, it's irrelevant to the fact that persecution of Christians is epidemic in Muslim countries across the world.

Persecution of atheists is far more common so cry me a river.

Vasileus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Vasileus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:I consider North Africa to be part of the Middle East. Even if you don't, it's irrelevant to the fact that persecution of Christians is epidemic in Muslim countries across the world.

Persecution of atheists is far more common so cry me a river.

Yay for oppression Olympics.

Even if they were, this is about 12 Christians being martyred for their faith. If it was about the blogger in Bengladesh, I'd understand. Here, it's playing politics with the dead

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Vasileus wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Persecution of atheists is far more common so cry me a river.

Yay for oppression Olympics.

Even if they were, this is about 12 Christians being martyred for their faith. If it was about the blogger in Bengladesh, I'd understand. Here, it's playing politics with the dead

Playing politics? Is that what you call it?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Vasileus wrote:
Italian police arrested 15 Muslim migrants who survivors said tossed 12 Christians from a boat during a recent Mediterranean crossing attempt. In a separate incident, 41 migrants were feared drowned as the situation in the region intensifies.

The Muslim migrants involved in the clash with Christians were arrested in the Sicilian city of Palmero and charged with "multiple aggravated murder motivated by religious hate," police said in a statement Thursday, according to the BBC. The victims were from Nigeria and Ghana. The suspects were from Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal.

Police learned of the incident through interviews with survivors, who said they boarded a rubber boat Tuesday off the Libyan coast with 105 passengers aboard, the Associated Press reported. The surviving Christians were able to remain onboard only by forming a "human chain" to resist the assault, police said.

Earlier Thursday, the International Organization of Migration said 41 migrants were feared dead after survivors were brought to a Sicilian port, Reuters reported. About 450 people may have died this week after 400 were presumed dead when another ship capsized off the Libya coast.

If this week's figures are confirmed, the death toll for the year would rise to more than 900. Nearly 10,000 migrants — mostly from North African nations — have been rescued since Friday.

Sources: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/christian-refugees-thrown-overboard-by-muslim-migrants-on-crossing-from-libya-to-italy-police-believe
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/17/refugees-drowned-for-being-christian.html

Tl:dr, refugee Christians on a ship towards Italy were told to convert to Islam or be thrown overboard. They refused, and were murdered for it.

Yet another bloody day on the Med. This really does put the who "refugees fleeing conflict into" argument to shame. Now, I've heard of ideas to set up European camps in North africa, to catch "refugees" before they decided to take a boat, and get their claims filed there, but in your great opinions, NSG, what should be done about the current illegal migration crisis into Europe? Clearly, things can't keep going as they are. Even without people murdering each other, thousands are drowning on the way over.

So let me get this straight: one case of violence out of how many refugees and you immediately dismiss the idea that these are actually refugees trying to escape. Condemning them all based on the actions of one group. Yes, you're a bigot.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Did you just say that Nigeria, a country with 70% poverty is one of the better countries in Africa? Did you just say that?!!

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:20 pm

I also consider North Africa part of the Middle East.

Nonetheless, this is a horrible tragedy.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:21 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:I also consider North Africa part of the Middle East.

Based on what? Hopefully its something better than "All them dirty Muslims are the same."
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:22 pm

United States Kingdom wrote:

Did you just say that Nigeria, a country with 70% poverty is one of the better countries in Africa? Did you just say that?!!

It's all relative. Nigeria, though it has many, many problems, is preferable to Somalia or the DRC or Sierra Leone. Except maybe its northeastern regions.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:I also consider North Africa part of the Middle East.

Based on what? Hopefully its something better than "All them dirty Muslims are the same."

Yeah NA associate themselves more with the Middle East than with Africa. While I accept that majority of the countries in NA are in the Middle East, they are more focused on Middle Eastern affairs than African affairs. That is why I consider NA to be part of the Middle East but I am going to assume that your next post is going to be about how laughable my reason is right?
Last edited by United States Kingdom on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Nigeria is number 1 for GDP
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... P_(nominal)

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Romalae wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Did you just say that Nigeria, a country with 70% poverty is one of the better countries in Africa? Did you just say that?!!

It's all relative. Nigeria, though it has many, many problems, is preferable to Somalia or the DRC or Sierra Leone. Except maybe its northeastern regions.

It doesn't matter. What he stated was arong. Nigeria isn't one of the relatively better countries in Africa. It isn't and if nothing changes, it may never be.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Romalae wrote:It's all relative. Nigeria, though it has many, many problems, is preferable to Somalia or the DRC or Sierra Leone. Except maybe its northeastern regions.

It doesn't matter. What he stated was arong. Nigeria isn't one of the relatively better countries in Africa. It isn't and if nothing changes, it may never be.

Genivaria wrote:
United States Kingdom wrote:Did you just say that Nigeria, a country with 70% poverty is one of the better countries in Africa? Did you just say that?!!

The facts say you're wrong sorry.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:29 pm

Disgusting, but not surprising. Even less surprising that the news outlet here refrained from highlighting the religious tension and who got the shit-end of it.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:29 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:

I find it quote offensive that you seem to think that I am racist towards Muslims, when I have a family connection to one.

Yeah NA associate themselves more with the Middle East than with Africa. While I accept that majority of the countries in NA are in the Middle East, they are more focused on Middle Eastern affairs than African affairs. That is why I consider NA to be part of the Middle East but I am going to assume that your next post is going to be about how laughable my reason is right?

I did not say that you are racist towards Muslims (anyway, Muslims aren't technically a race). I raised the possibility and expressed my concern based on your comment. Unless you give me reason to disbelieve it, I'll accept your explanation, though I still don't see how northern Africa is part of the Middle East.

And I have no way of knowing anything about your family connections.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Genivaria wrote:

I find if funny you measure a country's overall success on its GDP because if you did, then I guess the USA and China are one of the most successful countries in the world. Hell, my country of Kenya is an African powers, and it is in the top ten economy list yet I don't consider it as one of the more better countries in Africa.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... trust-says

Nigeria has 70% of its population in poverty, yet it is one of the richest countries in Africa. In addition to that, many people see corruption as the reason why Nigeria has been so inneffective in handling Boko Haram, and it is a corrupt country, which is something that is sadly not uncommon in Africa.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General