NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] More National Options

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

[IDEA] More National Options

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:43 pm

I realize these are far-fetched ideas, but if it would be possible to add more options to the national settings, it might give the game a bit more flavour.

In order of feasibility, from most to least:

1. National Anthem might be nice. Could be an unlockable field.
2. Set a sub-currency (as in, a fraction of whatever your currency is), kind of like dollars/cents.
3. Semi-autonomous parts of a nation. Seems really far-fetched, but there is already an issue that debates this very topic.

Restating my earlier point, I realize that these are far-off ideas, but some feedback would be nice.

EDIT: If this belongs in Gameplay, please move it there.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 pm

I'd love for NS to introduce something like a "Factbook". We could use this to customise our nations a lot more than the basic set-up allows, listing information such as national anthems, units of currency, or semi-autonomous divisions. Imagine if we had a Factbook feature, the possibilities would be endless!

Safraen
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Safraen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I'd love for NS to introduce something like a "Factbook". We could use this to customise our nations a lot more than the basic set-up allows, listing information such as national anthems, units of currency, or semi-autonomous divisions. Imagine if we had a Factbook feature, the possibilities would be endless!

* awards prize for most sarcastic comment of the year.
Last edited by Safraen on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Those are some nice ideas.
Also, the possibility of modifying your minorities/enemies/NPCs who appear in issues.
Last edited by Arcanda on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Deian salazar wrote:I'd like it and iI like this idea, but I don't think they'll willingly put in more code, especially after just developing Rift and dealing with hardware problems.

I'd say try later sometime.

But this brings up strange things: How exactly to you list them as Autonomous? Are they Regions that are other nations? Or just names of parts in the nation?

Since there are limitless possibilities for Autonomous regions, I think that'd be too hard to implement. That'd also take new code, more than one option (Like currency option).

Still, for the other ideas. try again in 6 months or so, you have a very slight probability increase in this idea being accepted.

Giving parts of the nation different names, yes. Kind of like Yugoslavia in the 1990s, to reference RL.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Valloria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valloria » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:00 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I'd love for NS to introduce something like a "Factbook". We could use this to customise our nations a lot more than the basic set-up allows, listing information such as national anthems, units of currency, or semi-autonomous divisions. Imagine if we had a Factbook feature, the possibilities would be endless!

May I please sig this?
JON LOVITZ 2020

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Deian salazar wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Giving parts of the nation different names, yes. Kind of like Yugoslavia in the 1990s, to reference RL.

We have Factbooks for that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I personally think Factbooks have us covered for that.

I know factbooks do a lot of the work, but they are sometimes overlooked.
Co-Author of SC #204

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Deian salazar wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:
I know factbooks do a lot of the work, but they are sometimes overlooked.

And why would it be our problem if they're overlooked?

I actually think that we should increase the amount of Factbooks you can have to 40.

How many are you allowed to have now?
Co-Author of SC #204

New Lavan
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Lavan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 pm

A national anthem would be nice, actually.
Formerly Lavan Tiri. Add 3881 posts.
Joshulia wrote:Lavan's my trump card, I don't need to play him yet....

Nature-Spirits wrote:Well, that's a scary thought.

Aona wrote:
you make tumblr and myself happy xD

Rob Halfordia wrote:First off, you're an ass, and you know this.

Tarnen wrote:You and I have very different versions of fun, Rumple.

[/quote]&
I'm 14. Bisexual. Paranoid Schizophrenic. Murican.

Speaker of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!
WARNING: I DON'T TAKE MYSELF SERIOUSLY, AND PROBABLY NOT YOU EITHER.

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

New Lavan wrote:A national anthem would be nice, actually.

Since most would involve music, the national anthem would either have to be linked to a music-playing website somehow or be uploaded to NS servers. Otherwise the anthem would just basically be a second motto.
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Kemintiri of Kemet
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kemintiri of Kemet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:14 am

Not going to happen. WAAAYYYY too much work involved for only marginal benefits at best.
Yo Mama|Elegy for Easter|Black of Knight|On Tagger's Fields|Raid Regions|A Thousand Days of Mourning In Honour Of My Fallen Loved One|Love-lies-bleeding|It Is Heartbreak
Կէմինտիրի Թեոդորա Շնեժ Մոնտրէսոր
Kemintiri T'yeodora Snez Montresor

100 Invader 63 Defender
Niece of Tim Stark, Escade and Solorni
Daughter of Severisen and Xoriet
Niece-by-marriage of Dalimbar
Granddaughter of Minineenee
Descendant of Astarial
Half-sister of Rirersyl
Sister of Ramaeus
Cousin of Knot

The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:19 am

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:Not going to happen. WAAAYYYY too much work involved for only marginal benefits at best.

Like demonyms, you mean?
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Kemintiri of Kemet
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kemintiri of Kemet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:25 am

The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:
Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:Not going to happen. WAAAYYYY too much work involved for only marginal benefits at best.

Like demonyms, you mean?

Demonyms were at least a BIT useful...

But what do we put in National Anthem customisable field? YouTube link? Lyrics? Put name alone and it won't really solve much because not enough information...
Yo Mama|Elegy for Easter|Black of Knight|On Tagger's Fields|Raid Regions|A Thousand Days of Mourning In Honour Of My Fallen Loved One|Love-lies-bleeding|It Is Heartbreak

100 Invader 63 Defender
Descendant of Astarial
Half-sister of Rirersyl
Sister of Ramaeus
Cousin of Knot

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:27 am

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:
The greater Vakolicci Haven wrote:Like demonyms, you mean?

Demonyms were at least a BIT useful...

But what do we put in National Anthem customisable field? YouTube link? Lyrics? Put name alone and it won't really solve much because not enough information...

Youtube links could be nice, however I do think that this is better covered by dispatches than by customisable fields.

The sub-currency field, however, would be useful. As would one for stating your nations military name, especially with the amount of military issues that come up.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Kemintiri of Kemet
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kemintiri of Kemet » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:04 am

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:Demonyms were at least a BIT useful...

Youtube links could be nice, however I do think that this is better covered by dispatches than by customisable fields.

The sub-currency field, however, would be useful. As would one for stating your nations military name, especially with the amount of military issues that come up.

What are factbooks for then? :unsure:

100 Invader 63 Defender
Descendant of Astarial
Half-sister of Rirersyl
Sister of Ramaeus
Cousin of Knot

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:19 am

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:

What are factbooks for then? :unsure:

This is more a problem about issues.

To quote an example, their's the issue involving people buying military medals of honour. This issue talks about something called the VAF (probably standing for 'Vakolicci armed forces.) The VAF does not exist; the Vakolicci armed forces are called the Vakolskrtm, so it makes sense for me to be able to write that into something like a custom field.
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:15 am

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:What are factbooks for then? :unsure:

This is more a problem about issues.

To quote an example, their's the issue involving people buying military medals of honour. This issue talks about something called the VAF (probably standing for 'Vakolicci armed forces.) The VAF does not exist; the Vakolicci armed forces are called the Vakolskrtm, so it makes sense for me to be able to write that into something like a custom field.

That's true of everything, not just Armed Forces: some issues use "Congress" or "Parliament" when some nations' legislatures may be called the Senate or the Diet or the House of Commons; some issues talk about a "Minister of Foreign Affairs" when it may be the "Secretary of State"; some issues talk about the "National Health Service" when the state healthcare provider may have a completely different name. NS can't start accommodating to every particular individual preference: it's too complicated. But Factbooks allow customisation so that you can tell everyone else about the Vakolskrtm.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical