NATION

PASSWORD

Autism Spectrum Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

I have...

Autism
16%
Asperger's Syndrome
66%
PDD-NOS
6%
Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes : 153

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Autism Spectrum Megathread

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 pm

A thread dedicated to the discussion and expression of conditions such as autism, Asperger's Syndrome and more!

Since I haven't noticed a single thread that focuses on the autism spcectrum and the conditions such as autism, Asperger's Syndrome and more, I, an Asperger myself, have decided to create NationStates' first (?) official autism megathread ! Here, we shall discuss about how our conditions makes us special and/or different and more !

We can start with this fundamental question.

Are you autist, Asperger or one of the other conditions that are part of the autism spectrum ? To those who aren't part of the autism spectrum, do you think it is real or an illusion ? Are autists treated fairly ?
Last edited by Western Vale Confederacy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onlae
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Onlae » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I have Asperger's, myself.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I have no idea, albeit it's unlikely that I have anything further unlike of neurotypicals on the spectrum than Asperger's syndrome. (Also, there's no allistic neuroatypical and/or neurotypical option in the poll.)

You might also want to beef up your OP, because threads with reduced content here are locked for not offering a coherent debate proposition.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Communist Kerguelen
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Kerguelen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:37 pm

I'm going to be THAT poster.

I would just like to point out, inb4, that Asperger's entails far more than simply social awkwardness, and can (and often does) coexist with other things such as OCD (which is also not the same as simply enjoying symmetry and perfection).
Blame Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen-Trémarec.
Is this my theme song?
I support FULL COMMUNISM.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Communist Kerguelen wrote:I'm going to be THAT poster.

I would just like to point out, inb4, that Asperger's entails far more than simply social awkwardness, and can (and often does) coexist with other things such as OCD (which is also not the same as simply enjoying symmetry and perfection).

It's true that you can coexist with other conditions.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:43 pm

OP, you're really not going to add "self-diagnosed, no idea", "self-diagnosed Asperger's", "non-autistic neuroatypical" and "neurotypical" to the poll? Lots of non-autistic people will vote "other".
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:44 pm

There was this really excellent meme with sponge bob having a Nicholas Cage (almost poker) like face while showing autism as a spectrum.

As for myself I do have Aspergers.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 pm

I've heard that there were quite a few autists per 100 or per 1000 people.

What do you guys think of that ?

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm

As a sufferer of Aspergers this seems most interesting!
I stand with Israel |I stand with Ukraine
|No Left Turn|

Join us in the new NSGS. Support the cause of prosperity and liberty at the Free Citizens Party!
IC name- Zion Imperium | MT and Anthro FT nation

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Samarian Imperium wrote:As a sufferer of Aspergers this seems most interesting!

For some strange reason, I have not noticed one single autism spectrum thread in the seven months I was on the forum.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Not sure i'd call it suffering all things considered (since it is not a physical or mental condition).
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Benuty wrote:

Not sure i'd call it suffering all things considered (since it is not a physical or mental condition).

I often refer to it as "both a miracle and a curse" for some unknown reason.

There's good and bad sides to this.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:I've heard that there were quite a few autists per 100 or per 1000 people.

What do you guys think of that ?

I think that people are more diverse than originally expected, and that people often might not fit the cultural narrative of what it means to be "mentally ill", if that can even be applied to us. (We are different, and we might suffer because of said difference, but autism is not in itself necessarily a bad thing, albeit some forms of autism can be harder to learn to live with, particularly in a world designed for neurotypical people.)

Also that saying you only are different if you are significantly troubled for that is stupid, and that even professionals can have inadequate attitudes about what it means to be disabled/neuroatypical, so that might explain why we might have been much more under-diagnosed in the past.

Not to mention that due to various reasons (money, health, geographical location, abusive family members, nonsupporting family members, problematic services in one's country, ignorance, fear, etc.) people might avoid psychological and psychiatric care. Those should be much more available and be culturally interpreted as a common part of life for everybody. Media depictions of these are some of the most inaccurate and non-ideal.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Benuty wrote:

Depends on your view of it.

I would say a person with non-verbal Autism are suffering. But then again I haven't met a non-verbal Autism person.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Benuty wrote:Not sure i'd call it suffering all things considered (since it is not a physical or mental condition).

I often refer to it as "both a miracle and a curse" for some unknown reason.

Basically this Benuty. It's been very difficult sometimes but I wouldn't be as amazing without it :).
|No Left Turn|

Join us in the new NSGS. Support the cause of prosperity and liberty at the Free Citizens Party!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:58 pm

I find, and I direct this at no one in particular, that there seem to be more people with "autism" on the internet than seems realistic, considering the actual rates of Autism. Indeed, among some people, self-diagnosing as Autistic seems to be done either as a way of identifying oneself as a special snowflake or a way of excusing bad behavior. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing this, though I don't doubt that there are bound to be a few fakers popping up before this is through. I just thought I'd note it.

As for myself, I am not diagnosed with any sort of Autistic disorder, though my wife likes to joke that I have some manner of high functioning Autism because of my GAD and other peculiarities in my psychology and personality.
Insert trite farewell here

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 pm

For some strange reason, I have not noticed one single autism spectrum thread in the seven months I was on the forum.

There kinda was one but that was some bigot who wanted to cure us :mad:.
|No Left Turn|

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Samarian Imperium wrote:

There kinda was one but that was some bigot who wanted to cure us :mad:.

As I recall, the only "bigots" in that thread wanted to cure people with severe Autism.
Insert trite farewell here

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Scomagia wrote:I find, and I direct this at no one in particular, that there seem to be more people with "autism" on the internet than seems realistic, considering the actual rates of Autism.

I actually would rather doubt the methodology to discern autistic from non-autistic people. Much of it seems focused on definitions of disability to function in our society as we know it rather than similar neurological function traits.

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Samarian Imperium wrote:There kinda was one but that was some bigot who wanted to cure us :mad:.

As I recall, the only "bigots" in that thread wanted to cure people with severe Autism.

Against their will and that of their parents! That denies them their most basic human right, the right to life.
|No Left Turn|

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Samarian Imperium wrote:
Scomagia wrote:As I recall, the only "bigots" in that thread wanted to cure people with severe Autism.

Against their will and that of their parents! That denies them their most basic human right, the right to life.

I'm not sure which kind of "cure" we're talking about, so I'm going to shut my mouth here, but not in other places.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Samarian Imperium wrote:
Western Vale Confederacy wrote:I often refer to it as "both a miracle and a curse" for some unknown reason.

Basically this Benuty. It's been very difficult sometimes but I wouldn't be as amazing without it :).

Indeed :)
If you haven't guessed, I have Asperger's.

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Samarian Imperium wrote:Against their will and that of their parents! That denies them their most basic human right, the right to life.

I'm not sure which kind of "cure" we're talking about, so I'm going to shut my mouth here, but not in other places.

It was a hypothetical one. Not an actual thing.
|No Left Turn|

Samarian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Samarian Imperium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Zunkwentania wrote:
Samarian Imperium wrote:Basically this Benuty. It's been very difficult sometimes but I wouldn't be as amazing without it :).

Indeed :)

:) I hadn't actually.
|No Left Turn|

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Samarian Imperium wrote:
Zunkwentania wrote:Indeed :)

:) I hadn't actually.

No, I mean because I said indeed :p

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General