NATION

PASSWORD

[QUESTION] Regarding GIFs

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

[QUESTION] Regarding GIFs

Postby Herargon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello, mods.

I would like to ask a question regarding GIFs... but not in flags.

It's about GIFs in reactions. Are they allowed? I've never - or at least haven't often - seen one in a reply in a topic.

Are they allowed? Is there a maximum size (500 pixels wide, 200 wide, or something like that, etc.), and if they are forbidden in reactions, why is that then the case?

Thanks in advance!
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Same here.

What IS the maximum size for gifs ?

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Edit: Whoops, misread the OP
Last edited by Leutria on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Herargon wrote:Hello, mods.

It's about GIFs in reactions. Are they allowed? I've never - or at least haven't often - seen one in a reply in a topic.

Are they allowed? Is there a maximum size (500 pixels wide, 200 wide, or something like that, etc.), and if they are forbidden in reactions, why is that then the case?

Thanks in advance!

Posting pictures to respond to topics is generally considered picspam.
If you have to use one though, make sure you spoiler it

The size limit for images is pretty big, but I'm not sure if it applies to GIFs.

EDIT: Did you mean to post this topic in Moderation? If so, you've misplaced it in Technical.
Last edited by Todlichebujoku on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:30 am

Todlichebujoku wrote:
Herargon wrote:Hello, mods.

Thanks in advance!

Posting pictures to respond to topics is generally considered picspam.
If you have to use one though, make sure you spoiler it

The size limit for images is pretty big, but I'm not sure if it applies to GIFs.

EDIT: Did you mean to post this topic in Moderation? If so, you've misplaced it in Technical.

Aah, okay. So Posting GIFS is only allowed if necessary to make the context understandable.
I haven't tested a size limit yet, but it surely can get to 500x500 at least.

Don't know if I should've posted it in Technical or moderation, but since GIFs are working with fora capabilities, I thought it should be there. Maybe I've posted it in the wrong topic.

Thanks for the answer anyways! :)
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:47 am

500px x 500px is damn large. Posting them frequently as reactions might get you lumbered with a spam warning. Particularly outside of F7
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:01 pm

When in doubt, it's not a good idea. As long as it's PG13 and you don't post them often, you should be fine. Though obviously you wouldn't post them in Technical, Got Issues, or Moderation. Also, spoilering the images with [spoiler][/spoiler] doesn't hurt.
Last edited by Nephmir on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:07 pm

1) As others have said, if its just the .gif, it likely counts as spam.
2) Reading through the other responses, regarding size. They're all wrong. Size limit for all images is 900p x 900p. (Although I would strongly disagree that 500 x 500 is damn large, I can't post full resolution images in F&NI because of that limit #Modtryanny because some people want to spam elsewhere)
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical