NATION

PASSWORD

IMPORTANT: Script rules reminder! Suppressing RMB posts

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

IMPORTANT: Script rules reminder! Suppressing RMB posts

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:43 pm

It's come to my attention that there's a script/tool floating around used to suppress RMBs with one click of a button. This is very illegal under our Script Rules, and could get your nation deleted.

The relevant part is:
It is illegal to use a tool to automatically cause something in the gameworld to change other than your own nation.

If you use a tool to change something besides your own nation--e.g. suppress RMB posts--then it must do so at the strict ratio of one human click to one action. That is, it must require at least 10 clicks to suppress 10 RMB posts. Furthermore, it must operate sequentially, and not execute simultaneous requests.

The Script Rules exist so that R/D may remain the province of humans rather than bots.

Please post any questions below!

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=283751&hilit=suppress+all#p18880627

This would be what you're referring too, correct? If so, perhaps a note in that thread as well might serve to prevent anyone who stumbles upon it searching for a suppress/unsuppress all from inadvertently breaking any rules.

Many months and many flags ago (read: When I started being involved with GP in TEK), I may have been encouraged (read: ordered) to use that, but stopped not long after upon actually reading the scripting rules myself :P
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I've not ever used it. I just wasted epic amounts of time suppressing things manually.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm

A "Suppress All" and "Unsuppress All" button might make things easier for both sides.

Also I've never used the script myself but I do actually have a copy of it somewhere floating around on the old TEK forums. *Writes note to burn it ASAP*
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Nephmir wrote:A "Suppress All" and "Unsuppress All" button might make things easier for both sides.

That would only make it easier for one side, since while some raiders do want to suppress all posts, natives generally want to restore their board to how it used to be before the raid, i.e. some suppressed and some not.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm

[violet] wrote:
Nephmir wrote:A "Suppress All" and "Unsuppress All" button might make things easier for both sides.

That would only make it easier for one side, since while some raiders do want to suppress all posts, natives generally want to restore their board to how it used to be before the raid, i.e. some suppressed and some not.

What may actually be preferable is some kind of rate limit on suppression of posts, similar to that imposed for sending telegrams, to discourage even manual mass suppression. That is a behavior that is just purely obnoxious to natives as well as defenders. A rate limit would still make it possible but would be discouraging, and if we can discourage TG spam with a rate limit that is sometimes inconvenient to non-spammers we should be able to do the same for this annoying practice.

I note this because mass suppression was somewhat common with enthusiastic invaders even before any tool came about.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Cormac Stark wrote:
[violet] wrote:That would only make it easier for one side, since while some raiders do want to suppress all posts, natives generally want to restore their board to how it used to be before the raid, i.e. some suppressed and some not.

What may actually be preferable is some kind of rate limit on suppression of posts, similar to that imposed for sending telegrams, to discourage even manual mass suppression. That is a behavior that is just purely obnoxious to natives as well as defenders. A rate limit would still make it possible but would be discouraging, and if we can discourage TG spam with a rate limit that is sometimes inconvenient to non-spammers we should be able to do the same for this annoying practice.

I note this because mass suppression was somewhat common with enthusiastic invaders even before any tool came about.

But I like being obnoxious ;w;
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Cormac Stark wrote:What may actually be preferable is some kind of rate limit on suppression of posts, similar to that imposed for sending telegrams, to discourage even manual mass suppression.

Yes, I'm looking at this right now.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 pm

[violet] wrote:
Cormac Stark wrote:What may actually be preferable is some kind of rate limit on suppression of posts, similar to that imposed for sending telegrams, to discourage even manual mass suppression.

Yes, I'm looking at this right now.

Awesome, [violet], thank you!

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Lame :P

Oh well, it will make it sound more badass to noobs when I tell them I suppressed the entirety of Warzone Airspace once, haha
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:39 pm

The rules behind how to suppress RMB's legally is outlined here... meaning that manually suppressing an entire RMB is legal so long as it's one-click-per-action. But apparently that's not the case, because now a rate limit is being looked into.

Consider me confused.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:43 pm

There are legal and illegal telegram scripts, that co-exist with a rate limit. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, Syl :P
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Dark Rider Lord
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Rider Lord » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

I suppose mods needed their revenge after getting their region raided. Suddently because it affected them they get on the task at hand at lightning speed.

It's quite curious that it's only now and after own of their own tasted raiding that they suddently decide that something must be done about it.
Last edited by Dark Rider Lord on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:I supposed mods needed their revenge after getting their region raided. Suddently because it affected them they get on the task at hand at lightning speed.

:palm:

That's pretty much all I could do after reading your post. Try harder next time bro.
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Dark Rider Lord
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Rider Lord » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Tano wrote:
Dark Rider Lord wrote:I supposed mods needed their revenge after getting their region raided. Suddently because it affected them they get on the task at hand at lightning speed.

:palm:

That's pretty much all I could do after reading your post. Try harder next time bro.

Read for yourself, this is the soft way to say that they're starting an anti raiding campaign:

The circumstances surrounding this case also highlight a very clear problem with how the game transmits certain information to players, (especially those who are not active in gameplay mechanics and thus may not be paying attention to those details) both about the existence and risks of R/D gameplay and about regional mechanics. Several suggestions of varying technical complexity are already being tossed about and chewed on for ways to improve in this area so that players are less likely to be caught unawares.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=328078&start=25#p23304804
Last edited by Dark Rider Lord on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:00 pm

If only we could use that method to get them to focus on some of the other feature like the Annex feature... any ideas Dark Rider Lord? :P
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Tano
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:
Tano wrote: :palm:

Read for yourself, this is the soft way to say that they're starting an anti raiding campaign:

The circumstances surrounding this case also highlight a very clear problem with how the game transmits certain information to players, (especially those who are not active in gameplay mechanics and thus may not be paying attention to those details) both about the existence and risks of R/D gameplay and about regional mechanics. Several suggestions of varying technical complexity are already being tossed about and chewed on for ways to improve in this area so that players are less likely to be caught unawares.

And if you bothered to fucking read the post you'd see that it has nothing to do with stopping raiding and more to do with fixing any glitches or problems within the system.

I think the real issue here is that TBR is just upset that Kyro didn't get much of a punishment. I'm not going to voice my opinion on that matter because it has nothing to do with this: regardless, it's not worth mulling about, or worth making up conspiracy theories like yours.
Tano Holland

Dark Rider Lord
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Rider Lord » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Tano wrote:
Dark Rider Lord wrote:

And if you bothered to fucking read the post you'd see that it has nothing to do with stopping raiding and more to do with fixing any glitches or problems within the system.

I think the real issue here is that TBR is just upset that Kyro didn't get much of a punishment. I'm not going to voice my opinion on that matter because it has nothing to do with this: regardless, it's not worth mulling about, or worth making up conspiracy theories like yours.

Are you so sure? They're admitting they think things needs to change, and hours later suddently anti raiding ideas get considered. It's not a coincidence.

Tano
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:
Tano wrote:And if you bothered to fucking read the post you'd see that it has nothing to do with stopping raiding and more to do with fixing any glitches or problems within the system.

Are you so sure? They're admitting they think things needs to change, and hours later suddently anti raiding ideas get considered. It's not a coincidence.

This isn't some new and outlandish idea. The script for suppressing RMB posts is against the script rules, and has always been against the script rules.
Tano Holland

The Risen Jaguar Warriors
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Risen Jaguar Warriors » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Wait---Auto-suppression scripts exist...? :blink:
⇦ Keep to the left
100% Raiderist Сюнна 20% Defenderist

My puppet-juggling skills are like a drinking straw... meaning they suck...
I am a girl

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:Are you so sure? They're admitting they think things needs to change, and hours later suddently anti raiding ideas get considered. It's not a coincidence.

Oh, get over it. It's a minor change that still won't actually prevent you from doing anything, even though mass suppression of RMB posts is one of the most annoying actions invaders take which serves no purpose other than to deliberately annoy. In every other situation on this site except in the case of invading, behavior that serves no purpose except intentionally annoying other players is trolling, so be happy they aren't prohibiting mass RMB suppression altogether and move on.
Last edited by Cormac Stark on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Rider Lord
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Rider Lord » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Tano wrote:
Dark Rider Lord wrote:

This isn't some new and outlandish idea. The script for suppressing RMB posts is against the script rules, and has always been against the script rules.

I'm not talking about the auto script, I'm talking about a throttle feature to reduce legit post suppression, that comes right after mods say that they're looking into raising awareness about raiding to the general public after one of them got raided. Suddently it gets priority because it hit them directly. This is not an awarness feature, but an actual gameplay features to hinder raiding!
Last edited by Dark Rider Lord on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tano
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:
Tano wrote:This isn't some new and outlandish idea. The script for suppressing RMB posts is against the script rules, and has always been against the script rules.

I'm not talking about the auto script, I'm talking about a throttle feature to reduce legit post suppression, that comes right after mods say that they're looking into raising awareness about raiding to the general public after one of them got raided. Suddently it gets priority because it hit them directly. This is not an awarness feature, but an actual gameplay features to hinder raiding!

I'm sure you'll be fine without having to suppress the entire history of a region.

Wait, just kidding, this will obviously kill raiding as we know it. Stop the presses!
Tano Holland

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Tano wrote:I think the real issue here is that TBR is just upset that Kyro didn't get much of a punishment.

'Cause one member of TBR being upset means the whole organization is.

#logic
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Dark Rider Lord wrote:I'm not talking about the auto script, I'm talking about a throttle feature to reduce legit post suppression, that comes right after mods say that they're looking into raising awareness about raiding to the general public after one of them got raided. Suddently it gets priority because it hit them directly. This is not an awarness feature, but an actual gameplay features to hinder raiding!

Is raiding now intrinsically linked to suppressing posts?
Just some weeb.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay