NATION

PASSWORD

Air Asia Flight from Indonesia to Singapore goes missing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Air Asia Flight from Indonesia to Singapore goes missing

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:20 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/2 ... 85808.html

An Air Asia flight has gone missing in an eerily similar place to the Air Malaysia flight. I hope and pray everything is ok as of right now the plane should still have fuel so maybe this is just an internal issue. This is a breaking news story. I think it follows under an exception to the general debate requirements.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Imyoji
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:22 pm

It landed in Bangka Belitung apparently, I saw this on BBM chat so hold up for sources.
The Republic of Imyoji ― Emüryürü-ju Miinju
The Harmonious Northern Island

What do you get when you combine pursuits of technological advancements, an appreciation and strong conservation of the natural environment, and a harmony between altruistic communitarianism and state sponsored capitalism?
i am the globalization shill the left and the right warned you about

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:25 pm

This is very sad. My thought and prayers with the family.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Imyoji wrote:It landed in Bangka Belitung apparently, I saw this on BBM chat so hold up for sources.

I hope that is the case. Maybe an emergency landing that did not filter through to the airline.

On a side note I think flying discount airlines in South East Asia is no longer such a bargain.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:29 pm

This is pretty sad, although we can't say what exactly happened. Not to jump to the gun but my speculations are they crashed but its hopefully just a communication problem. 2014 is not the year to fly it seems. I this is a tragedy, maybe it will get the media to talk about something new.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:29 pm

greed and death wrote:
Imyoji wrote:It landed in Bangka Belitung apparently, I saw this on BBM chat so hold up for sources.

I hope that is the case. Maybe an emergency landing that did not filter through to the airline.

On a side note I think flying discount airlines in South East Asia is no longer such a bargain.

I've been using AirAsia for years now (Kuala Lumpur-Singapore, Jakarta-Denpassar, Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok), but this was slightly unsurprising. I hope it did land in Bangka Belitung or Medan, Sumatra, though.

What do you get when you combine pursuits of technological advancements, an appreciation and strong conservation of the natural environment, and a harmony between altruistic communitarianism and state sponsored capitalism?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:31 pm

greed and death wrote:

Hope it landed okay.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Imyoji wrote:
greed and death wrote:I hope that is the case. Maybe an emergency landing that did not filter through to the airline.

I've been using AirAsia for years now (Kuala Lumpur-Singapore, Jakarta-Denpassar, Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok), but this was slightly unsurprising. I hope it did land in Bangka Belitung or Medan, Sumatra, though.

I mean either way I think no longer worth it. Either they are discount by skimping on safety or they are discount by have terrible communications. Giving my family a heart attack because they had to make an unscheduled landing and you can not communicate that is not cool.
Barack Obama

Contemporary Tamriel
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Contemporary Tamriel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Worried. My mother will be leaving for Singapore soon. I pray for the citizens who live there.

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:36 pm

greed and death wrote:
Imyoji wrote:I've been using AirAsia for years now (Kuala Lumpur-Singapore, Jakarta-Denpassar, Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok), but this was slightly unsurprising. I hope it did land in Bangka Belitung or Medan, Sumatra, though.

I mean either way I think no longer worth it. Either they are discount by skimping on safety or they are discount by have terrible communications. Giving my family a heart attack because they had to make an unscheduled landing and you can not communicate that is not cool.

The Jakarta-Singapore flight is extremely popular, and it just so happens that AirAsia is one of the most affordable and reliable airliners out there. I mean, Garuda Airlines ain't no clean flight record either, and it's more costly to boot.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Apparently it had asked for an unusual route before contact was lost. Hijacked?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:37 pm

That's a hopeful claim to make; it is imperative that you provide a source for us.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Apparently it had asked for an unusual route before contact was lost. Hijacked?

If thats the case there as good as fucked and more people on the ground are in danger. ISIS fearmongering here we come!
US Air Force E-4

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Romalae wrote:

That's a hopeful claim to make; it is imperative that you provide a source for us.

It's hearsay. Whatsap and BBM are incredibly unreliable when it comes to sources. For now, we wait.
Costa Fierro wrote:Apparently it had asked for an unusual route before contact was lost. Hijacked?

ISIS did inflitrate Indonesia apparently soooo...

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Imyoji wrote:
Romalae wrote:That's a hopeful claim to make; it is imperative that you provide a source for us.

It's hearsay. Whatsap and BBM are incredibly unreliable when it comes to sources. For now, we wait.

I don't think that it was hijacked by passengers. The aircraft requested an unusual route apparently, although the flight tracker has it in the middle of the Java Sea at 32,000 feet before contact was lost.

So, my guess is that either or both pilots were involved.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Imyoji wrote:It's hearsay. Whatsap and BBM are incredibly unreliable when it comes to sources. For now, we wait.

I don't think that it was hijacked by passengers. The aircraft requested an unusual route apparently, although the flight tracker has it in the middle of the Java Sea at 32,000 feet before contact was lost.

So, my guess is that either or both pilots were involved.

Hope for the best folks.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:48 pm

CNN said there are 162 souls on board.
US Air Force E-4

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Most of the people onboard were Indonesians. There were six foreign passengers: three South Koreans, one Briton, one Singaporean and one Malaysian.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Most of the people onboard were Indonesians. There were six foreign passengers: three South Koreans, one Briton, one Singaporean and one Malaysian.

What CNN said exactly.
US Air Force E-4

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Most of the people onboard were Indonesians. There were six foreign passengers: three South Koreans, one Briton, one Singaporean and one Malaysian.

Singapore is our (Malaysians, Indonesians, Thai, you name it) shopping district during the holidays, just so you know.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Imyoji wrote:

Singapore is our (Malaysians, Indonesians, Thai, you name it) shopping district during the holidays, just so you know.

This explains why there were so many Indonesians going there. Where about in the region are you?

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Damn, this isn't good. My best wishes go out to those affected.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Imyoji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Imyoji wrote:Singapore is our (Malaysians, Indonesians, Thai, you name it) shopping district during the holidays, just so you know.

This explains why there were so many Indonesians going there. Where about in the region are you?

I myself am Malaysian Chinese, but I'm living in Canada right now. However, I happen to have relatives living in both Malaysia and Indonesia, though none of them are on that flight. A few re in Thailand currently for a short holiday. They used AirAsia to go there and are being notified by my parents to switch flights.

British Senegalia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby British Senegalia » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:56 pm

worrying...i'm watching it right now.
DEFCON
Peaceful State
Awareness State
Minor War State
Major War State
Total Nuclear War <-

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Is there a statement to that fact or are the rumors flying?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General