NATION

PASSWORD

New Imperialism - AH RP v 2.1 [IC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

New Imperialism - AH RP v 2.1 [IC]

Postby Alleniana » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Introduction
The colonisers of the first wave of imperialism, rebuffed by the rise of nationalism and the Americas liberating themselves, found themselves with a great deal of experience and a tremendous legacy. The era of relative peace and technological advancement that came after Napoleon began the dawn of mechanised warfare, and the beginning of the ironclad ships. Africa was opened by said technological development, and it too, was exploited. The imperialists of Europe, joined by their new brethren in the Americas as well as the first of those nations lucky enough to modernise, began the second wave of imperialism. Africa was now accessible, its riches open to all, and with experience under their belts, no nation of Asia was safe from large-scale conquest either, far from the trade ports of old. Though cries for freedom had begun in many ethnically inhomogeneous nations, by and large it was still imperialism that dominated, now far better defined and far more powerful than it had been in the era of American colonisation. A new age dawned, domineered by warfare advancing relentlessly, machine now as primary an element as man, while society itself bubbled and boiled. The New Imperialism had come.

This is the IC for the New Imperialism 2 roleplay. Please only post here once you have been accepted in the OOC thread, linked above. Thanks.
Last edited by Alleniana on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:53 am, edited 7 times in total.

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 pm

The Grand Lake Palace

January First, 1881

The Green Garden

“I don't want to marry him, and you will not force me too. I am a grown woman, and you have no hold over me mother!”

Mary slapped her daughter flatly in the face, “You will not speak to me as such. You may be grown now, but I am still your mother, and you will speak to me with respect!”

As tears began welling in her daughter's eyes, the disgust contorting Mary's face shifted to a gentler pity, “My daughter...”

Jane burst into tears and sobbing, “It isn't fair. None of it. It is all against us.”

“Life is not always fair, but sometimes we can make it more to our advantage,” Mary more calmly replied, “That is our responsibility and burden, as stewards of the state. We are one of the greatest families this nation has ever seen, and we must work to preserve that stability. “

Mary wrapped her arms around her daughter, “When I first married your father, I did not love him. But over time we found that we had mutual interests, and goals far beyond anything we could personally desire. Much will be the same with you when you marry the Conrod son.”

Jane's sobbing subsided. The choking sense of betrayal still clung to her however, “Why do we have to be powerful and in control? Why can't we just live a normal life? Leave all of this behind?”

Mary sighed sympathetically, “We are in charge because we know what must be done and what must be sacrificed for the greater good. That is what separates us from the commons.” She paused a moment to allow Jane to comprehend her words, and then continued, “By joining Wells and Conrod, we will establish a dynasty that will be a beacon of stability and propriety for all of Pallasia.”

Mary pulled out a small cloth, “Now, clean yourself. We are at a party with three quarters of Pallasia's nobility, and the royal family. You cannot go back into the estate looking as if you had sloshed your face in the mud.”

Jane rigidly took the cloth, and with sullen features replied, “Yes mother.”

The Crystal Hall

At the center of a golden room, filled with dazzling light reflecting off of cut crystal and silver mirrors, the King of all Pallasia sat conversing with the head of the house of Lauhead. “So as I was saying Aaron, I truly believe that expansion of military alliances is a must. You and others have agreed before with me on this, so my question to you then is, why has nothing been done?”, Richard took another sip from his wine glass, “Would not our state be safer if we had consistent allies?”, he asked

“Indeed it would be your majesty. But the question we must then ask is, who can we truly trust? The reason so many alliances are questioned by the senate is the fact that many nation's motives are those of self interest, rather than honor to alliances."

The king stroked his beard a moment in though, then replied, "Why not seek allies in less conventional places?"

"Pardon?"

Richard turned to Aaron, "We do not necissarily need to focus on the old world for allies. Why not South America, or even Asia? There are fairly powerful nations in these places, and they are generally more open to alliance to their European counterparts," he took a final drink from his chalice, and then stood, followed shortly by the rest of the dining hall.

Richard announced with a clear and bold voice, "I thank you all for attending this New Year's celebration with me and my family. I have thourougly enjoyed all of your company, but alas, time does wear us all down. I will take my leave and retire. I wish you all a happy new year!"

Clapping accompanied the kings short speech, filling him with a sense of pride and purpose. He turned to Aaron one final time, "We will discuss more of alliances on the morrow. Actions such as these require planning and forethought, great ammounts of each, lest we blunder."

"Well said, your majesty."

The king embraced Aaron, then turned to walk away, "Oh, and remember to bring the reports on that weapon your company has been testing. What was it called again? Chlorine, ahh yes. I look forward to hearing about it! Good night once again my friend!"

Blue Sky Military Base-North Virginia
Military Observation Airship-Drakon

A greenish yellow haze swirled far below the five men standing in one of the world's only military airships. Two of the men could care less the implications of the toxic cloud below, but the other three knew all too well.

"I told you it would work well, didn't I! Ha!", John Lauhead exclaimed, "Just think of how much pressure this will take off of our troops. No worrying about enemy fire, the enemy will have other problems!"

High Colonel Moore allowed for a brief, and unsincere smile, then returned to his usual stern expression, "Won't the enemy simply be able to emulate the trappings of our Longcoats? Breathers and coats?"

"We'll worry about that when we get to it," Lauhead dismissed, "With concentrations in the capsules as they are, they will be in trouble too quick to put on one those clumsy suits and packs. We needn't worry about problems that don't exist."

"Yet."

"Pardon me?"

The colonel turned to him, "Yet I said. When the enemy does manage to thwart this, it will be able to be thwarted consistently, correct?"

Lauhead smiled, a smile of umbridled ambition, "We have solutions already in progress for that dilemma. The simplest is simply to add more ways of threat to the gas when it is deployed. Such as contact."

Moore turned, "What do you think, captain?"

Captain Erik Arkwright turned quickly, snapping from his focus on the patterns of gas below and how they could be undone to the conversation on hand, "I think it will be difficult to use this in mobile warfare, or any warfare from a non-static position. If Lord Lauhead intends to make the gas dangerous just by contact as he says, then it would be too much of risk to send our own troops into a cloud of it to route our adversaries." He looked back to see the ridge obscuring the gas before finishing, "We would need some sort of fortifications to ensure maximum efficiancy and safety."

Moore smiled, genuine this time, and replied, "Well said Captain, however, we should be able to keep up with our own weapons and how to protect against them. When the use of Asphyxiants was first devised in the acadamy at Richford by Lord Downton, work was immediatly undertaken by another group of researchers to protect against that same type of weapon. Your point about usage in static versus mobile warfare however, is very valid, and a current topic of deliberation at the acadamies."

"I am glad to hear that we have a solution."

As mooring anchors were dropped from the Drakon, with the High Colonel back to conversation with Lauhead about the future of asphyxiants in warfare, Erik returned to his thoughts. I hope we aren't being outpaced by our own innovation...
Last edited by The Industrial States of Columbia on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Ikh Mongol Uls

All Under the Blue Sky, Chapter One: Khanbaliq Nights

Outside Bishkek
Kyrgyzland Province
Viceroyalty of Chagatai

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a line that broke; --
The cannon's jammed and the Colonel's dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And Karakorum's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a rider rallies the ranks:
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

"Bayonets! Bayonets! Son of a bitch, fire at will!"
The Mongol officer's last command was abruptly cut off by another pop from the advancing Kyrgyz cavalry, as he staggered backwards and crumpled over, his blue uniform staining black with blood. The screaming riders continued their charge, firing guns and bows seemingly at random.

Zhong Chu, assisting sergeant to Lieutenant Noyakin, felt his eyes widen as the lieutenant fell to the Kyrgyz bullet, gulping as he hurried forward. Keep calm and carry on, Chu. Just keep the men together.
There were scattered, ragged bursts from throughout the Mongol line, as the riflemen and musketeers did their damnedest to take down as many of the rebels as they could before their positions atop the hill were run down. Chu swallowed again, before standing and booming out his commands through the swirling dust.
"Pikemen! Brace! On my mark, a volley! Ready!!"
Chu looked up and down the line, as the men hurriedly reloaded and the spearmen rushed forward, kneeling to try and protect their comrades from the rapidly approaching rebel charge.
"臭狗屎, 臭狗屎," he muttered. "On my mark!"
"Wait!"
"I'm not ready!"
"臭狗屎, you pig fuckers, we're firing without you! Aim!"
The first Kyrgyz slammed into their forwardmost pikemen as Chu screamed out the order to fire, and the hilltop dissolved into dust, smoke, and blood.

Hall of Supreme Harmony
The Forbidden City
Khanbaliq
Viceroyalty of Baichuan

"With this series of actions, Sire, the Kyrgyz revolt has been essentially broken. Bishkek is no longer invested, and the main rebel armies have broken themselves against our forces. Our riders now hunt their remnants, and the area is essentially pacified."
"What," the Emperor inquired gruffly, "were our losses?"
"Records show 5,471 men were killed, 3,331 injured, and 413 are missing," the Viceroy of Chagatai said delicately.
"I see." The Qingyin Emperor sat back, pondering this news, while the court waited. Few people were there today, besides guards, a few bored-looking nobles, court débutantes and visitors, and the small cadre of officials required to be present. Only a year ago, the imperial throne hall was regularly packed with officials and nobles, watching and circling the new khagan the Kurultai had chosen. Kublai XI had, so far, proved to be an effective ruler- a welcome change from his predecessor. Möngke VIII, the Gaozong Emperor, had been both weak and incompetent, but the Qingyin Emperor had already largely undone his predecessor's greatest errors- at least the ones he could. Despite Kublai's advancing age and distaste for Chinese ways- he had been born and raised in Karakorum, the Old Capital- he had become well-liked among the Kurultai, nobility, bureaucracy, military, the people, and even abroad for his centralization and his reforms of the government's structure, as well as his mitigation of some of Möngke Khan's more disastrous policies and worst excesses, as well as those of his predecessors.
Of course, that wasn't saying much- there was only so much you could do.
Prince Zaichun, the khagan's eldest son and the likely successor to the imperial throne, was, as ever, in attendance, along with the Empress Cixi, the Chancellor, and the Vice-Regent. The four of them were seated on the steps that led up to the throne's platform, all looking as bored as the various attendees.
"You see," the Emperor said suddenly, "that is quite interesting."
"How so, august lord?", the Viceroy inquired.
"I received reports from the Board of War and the Grand Secretariat this morning that the Governor of Bishkek had sent a messenger bird, requesting relief from some thousands of Kyrgyz rebels, who had broken past his troops and were laying siege to the city. And he mentioned nothing about having inflicted heavy losses on them."
The room went quiet, and every head in it suddenly perked up.

Blood was in the water.

The Viceroy swallowed.
"Great Khan, I cannot conceive of how you have received such misrepresentative reports! I... I... I shall inquire with the Governor and the Board of War to-"
"No need, Viceroy," Prince Zaichun suddenly said smoothly, glancing up at his father. "I shall inquire myself into this matter. If anyone has misrepresented the situation to his celestial majesty, they will be discovered and will suffer the consequences."
The khagan stood up, and everyone seated immediately also stood. The Viceroy, now quivering like a leaf, bowed deeply.
"I will be expecting further information quite shortly, Viceroy," the khagan growled menacingly. "Take your leave."
The Viceroy took a shuddering breath, bowed deeply, and hurried out of the throne room. The khagan sat again, muttering darkly.
"That will be all."

Khanbaliq
Dejin Opera House

"Anyways, it should prove to be quite interesting. From what I've read, it looks like the Viceroy was trying to buy himself some time- he's dispatched nearly 40,000 riders from Kashgar and I think he's siphoned some off from Karakorum as well."
"Well," Lady Chabi murmured, "he and Iljigin are as thick as thieves, so I wouldn't be surprised. And after the report he gave last month..."
"Yes, it's quite understandable. Based on the deployment records his riders will probably arrive at Bishkek within the week. We know there aren't more than 20,000 rebels, and these are not just a bunch of Korean conscripts- they're real steppe riders. The Kyrgyz may continue to rebel, but I doubt Bishkek will be at risk any longer," Zaichun said with a shrug.
Chabi yawned, leaning against him as the opera continued. "Well, we're lucky the Kyrgyz are the biggest problem on our hands right now, and that your father has taken charge. You remember a few years ago, when the Kobayashi Rebellion was put down by the old Vice-Regent Zhao while Möngke was at Jehol?"
"Of course I remember it," Zaichun murmured. "Zhao and the Chancellor did a good job, given their circumstances. I recall I wanted to burn Kyoto and Jehol at the time."
Chabi snorted. "On another note, I heard about a riot in Hanoi this morning."
"Oh?"
"The city's in an uproar after some farmer wouldn't pay his taxes and got arrested. The Governor of Hanoi is a corrupt incompetent who hasn't paid the court a visit in a decade and a half- I was going to talk to the Viceroy of Nanyu about it, if that's acceptable."
"Of course. I actually have the perfect person in mind to become the next governor."
"I may have used your seal to send orders to the Grand Secretariat to send troops," Chabi said with a smile. "I thought it required immediate action."
"How many?," Zaichun said with a raised eyebrow.
"I think around 5,000. It'll be more than enough, and I suspect even the current governor may have gotten things under control once they arrive."
"Alright." They both settled back in their seats, watching the opera as Yue Fei was summoned back to Lin'an from the gates of Kaifeng.

Khanbaliq
The Golden Orchid Court
The Chacellery
The Northern Residence

"This chaos in Kyrgyzland is driving me mad," the Chancellor grumbled, sitting down. "No one seems to be clear as to what's going on- the Viceroy is trying to cover his ass, from what I've heard, which means Bishkek may very well actually be in trouble."
The Vice-Regent frowned. "Perhaps not, actually. I've done some information gathering, and it sounds like the Viceroy and the city's governor are not, perhaps, the best of friends. The governor was actually slated to become Viceroy of Chagatai several years ago... but the current viceroy was a favorite of Möngke Khan. I suspect, based on other things I've heard from the Grand Secretariat's agents in the West, that the governor may be exaggerating his position's severity."
"So the Viceroy is lying for his political convenience and potentially to give him breathing room to maneuver against the Governor, while the Governor puts out misinformation to try and force Khanbaliq's hand to remove the Viceroy and put more troops at his disposal. And Prince Zaichun, who is a friend of the Viceroy's, will be leading the investigation because his father favors him overly much. So what is actually going on in Kyrgyzland?"
The Vice-Regent yawned. "There are conflicting reports being submitted that lead me to believe while Bishkek is not invested, the rebels are not nearly as broken as the Viceroy says. He has dispatched a number of soldiers to Bishkek as well, which could mean either the Governor is telling the truth- unlikely- or the Viceroy is moving against him and may even be concerned he will join the revolt if he feels like he's in trouble."
"But the Emperor will let Zaichun lead the investigation, because he is too occupied with his new policies in China, Mongolia, and Japan. Don't get me wrong, I support his decisions- especially the new factory project in Taiyuan- but he's neglecting the frontier far too much."
"We'll bring it to his attention at the cabinet meeting. Meanwhile, the burden must fall on us to do what the Khagan cannot give his attention to."

Khanbaliq
The Forbidden City
Hall of Heavenly Purity

"Husband, I know the whole business with Kyrgyzland is probably getting tiresome, but I spoke with Xian and Ayan and-"
"Oh, by the Blue Sky, Cixi, can we please not talk about that? Zaichun was eager to help with the investigation, and I expect tomorrow we'll know what's going on."
The Empress pursed her lips. "Kublai, please. I spoke with the Vice-Regent and the Chancellor, both of whom have launched their own private investigations and seem to have found out a great deal. They're very concerned, both about our troops, Bishkek, and Chagatai in general. Xian in particular is concerned about infighting between Viceroy Batukhan and Governor Sajadi, and they both said they wanted to speak with you at the cabinet meeting about what many perceive as neglect on Khanbaliq's part towards the frontier."
Kublai sighed. "Right now, the frontier is the least of my concerns. The Kyrgyz revolts are nothing! I'm trying to drag a collapsing empire intact into the modern era without getting attacked by the Western vipers on my way. I don't have time to worry about Batukhan and Sajadi and the Kyrgyz."
"To keep the empire intact, though, you have to worry about them," Cixi said, putting a hand on his shoulder. Kublai gave a huff, taking a sip of his tea.
"I need Xian and Ayan to take more of the weight in these matters, so that I can focus on the most important things. They're too focused on helping me, and they're equally culpable if the frontier is being ignored, as you say," the khagan grumbled.
"You also need to get rid of Viceroy Batukhan," Cixi said sharply. The Great Khan frowned.
"Why?"
"He has completely failed to put down these revolts and it's hurting the empire. Now he may be lying about them to further his machinations against Sajadi- who, by the way, is far more competent. He was only appointed four years ago, by Möngke, and it was Sajadi who was supposed to become Viceroy. Kublai, you need viceroys who will make administration easier for you, not more complex. Demote Batukhan, promote Sajadi- who is a Tajik, by the way, which may help calm tensions- and we can have a far easier time of managing things. As it is, this air of constant rebellion somewhere in the empire is poisonous."
"Yes, I heard about Hanoi. Zaichun has dispatched men from a few nearby bases, so order will be restored within a day or two."
"Yes, but..."
"Very well, wife. I'll demote Batukhan."

Khanbaliq
The Forbidden City
Headquarters of the Ministries
Grand Secretariat Central Office

"So, if I could get some clarification, since the Chancellor, the Vice-Regent, and Crown Prince are all interested, what exactly has happened around Bishkek?"
"Some of the information has been suppressed, but our unaltered reports indicate Bishkek is no longer invested. It looks like both sides have suffered heavy casualties, but the rebels remain in force in the area around the city." General Niohuru Bayan looked annoyed, but Minister Sun Liu remained placid as he hurriedly took down a few notes.
"Any specifics?"
"I'd say we lost about twice what the rebels did in terms of casualties, but we also took a large number of prisoners. Like I said, things are quite unclear and I'm still not exactly sure why."
Liu sighed. "I know, I'm sorry, Bayan. From what I've heard from our agents, it seems that in addition to this rebel thrust on the city, Governor Sajadi and Viceroy Batukhan are at loggerheads and their maneuvering may be part of what's giving us such bad information as of now."
Bayan frowned. "It'd be nice if we had officials who would actually run the empire for once. Not you, I mean, but..."
Liu rolled his eyes. "I know what you mean. I've heard whispers from the Chancellorate and the palace about interfering, but I can't be sure about anything. Convey my thanks to the Board of War."
Bayan bowed. "Of course. I'll fill you in as soon as we receive any updates."

Viceroyalty of Nanyu
Jiangsu Province
Shanghai
Pudong
Wu's Noodle House

"Could we have had this somewhere else? You know I hate Chinese noodles," Takeshi sighed, looking around the table. A group of young men, of all different races, gathered from across the vast Mongol Empire, were seated in this secluded corner table in the large, bustling establishment known as Wu's Noodle House, speaking quietly.
Bataar raised an eyebrow and grinned. "Always complaining, Takeshi. This place does Japanese food, too- hell, they do pretty much all of the foods. I once even saw a Portuguese merchant from the Foreign Quarter eat here."
"Well, we can get food later," Tai said with a frown. "Right now we need to be discussing the Party's next move."
Ahmad bit his lip. "I know Bataar has been pushing for something big- a coup in Turkestan against the Chagatid Viceroy, trying to start unrest in Japan, whatever. But I maintain that we simply don't have the strength. The Party doesn't have enough members and followers to pull off something like this."
Bataar took a sip of his drink, waving his hand. "Actually, Ahmad, I agree with you, to some extent. And I've come up with an alternate solution that I think you'll hate just as much," he said with a grin. Ahmad laughed, and even normally-serious Tai smiled.
"What is this new idea of yours, Bataar?," Eje asked, looking intrigued.
"We take not just Turkestan or Honshu, but all of the Empire."
There were raised eyebrows and dismissive snorts from around the table, but Bataar raised his hands. "Just hear me out. We know that the Western powers continue to move against the khagan, and that despite his reforms the empire continues to crumble. As the situation grows more dire, I propose this: we engineer, somehow, to bring about the death or abdication of the khagan. Kublai's strong leadership is most of what holds this empire together. The Kurultai will be divided, between Vice-Regent Zhao and his reformists and the Prince Zaichun and his conservatives, and the Kyrgyz revolts are certain to worsen and possibly spread. In this power vacuum, the Westerners will strike, and the people will be desperate for some alternative to fend off the round-eyed imperialists."
"So all we need to do is assassinate the Great Khan?," Tai scoffed. "And hope that people don't turn to the Yihetuan fascists or something?"
Bataar continued as if he'd heard nothing. "The people will flock to the Party and its message, and because we are not dominated by my people or by any one race, we will be able to establish control over all the empire and build a true workers' state."
"Ambitious," Ahmad said, nodding. "I'm impressed, if a bit frightened for you sanity." He grinned. "It can't hurt to discuss it, I suppose?"

POST SUMMARY:

Meet the cast:

Kublai XI, khagan
Cixi, his empress
Prince Zaichun, their son
Lady Chabi, his consort
Asadai Batukhan, Viceroy of Chagatai
Faisal Sajadi, Governor of Bishkek
Vice-Regent Zhao Xian
Chancellor Silin Ayan
Minister Sun Liu, deputy to the Vice-Regent and de jure head of the Grand Secretariat
General Niohuru Bayan, deputy head of the Board of War
The Communist Party Politburo of East Asia, a bunch of young men from all over the empire who founded the fledgling Communist Party of East Asia, which is small but growing and is very ambitious.
I might add something about the Yihetuan, we'll see.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Amsterdam, Holland, Kingdom of the United Provinces and Belgium

Chapter 1: The Winds of Change
1st of January, the Year of our Lord, 1881

Parliament was full of shouting and angry bickering. Members of Parliament were in each other's faces, spitting out harsh words, and chastising the policies of their counterparts. This was a normal day in the life of the Parliament of the Netherlands. The Liberal Coalition, made up of the National Liberal, National Progressive, People's Christian Parties, had dominated Parliament for nearly two decades. They formed the first coalition government in the history of the Netherlands, and guided the empire through its colonization of the East Indies and first industrial revolution. However, after two decades of a strong alliance, the coalition was beginning to crumble. Disagreements over Africa and the Kongo, the situation of the economy, and foreign policy divided the coalition, and created a large gap between the politicians. As the foundations of the alliance began to turn to ruin, the other parties in Parliament, the New Socialist Union, the People's Republican Front, the Council of New Conservatives, and the National People's Union sat back quietly, content to let the coalition fade away. Already new alliances were forming, and these alliances were not just pushed by a breaking coalition, but by an elderly king. King Willem II was now 78, and he time was near. For years he had been a symbol of liberalism throughout the Netherlands, and his death would end that liberal unity.

Yet, one member party of the coalition sees the ramifications for the break down. The National Liberals, the leading party, tremble at the thought of losing their majority, and know that a collapsed coalition means only one thing, emergency elections. The current Prime Minister, Haak de Klerk, has attempted several times to reunite his coalition, and his last attempt would be now. As the room was drowned in the sound of shouting, Haak stepped up the High Podium, the speakers station at the end of the Debate Hall. Haak was a short man, yet he cast a very large shadow as he stood on the tall podium. He looked down at the members in the hall, glaring at each and everyone of them personally. He opened his mouth, and soon the shouting was drowned by the great boom of his voice, "Members of the Liberal Coalition! I ask that you silence yourselves for one moment!" His fellow liberals turned to him, stopping their feeble arguments. "Please, my friends, be seated." The coalition members sat down quietly, and gave their attention to their Prime Minister, "Members of the Liberal Coalition, today is a sorrowful day, the day that I have to watch my fellow members of parliament be at each other's throats like rabid dogs, " he took a brief pause, and gathered his thoughts, "This alliance has stood for nearly two decades now, and to watch it crumble in such a manner is horrific. Parliament has been dominated by our coalition, and in just one year another election will start. Will we risk losing our majority over petty policies? Will we let the conservatives take our place? I say no!" Near half the room rose in agreement, yet Haak noticed that they were all members of the National Liberal Party. The other parties just weren't that enthusiastic. Haak sighed, and then he stepped down from the podium. He could do nothing to save his coalition, and if it wanted to survive it must save itself. Haak returned to his office and began to write several letters, as well as sign some of his last policies into law.

Parliamentary Assembly Building, circa 1881

To: The French Foreign Office

To whom it may concern,
The Kingdom of the United Provinces and Belgium feels it would be beneficial our countries to form an alliance, and establish closer relations between our peoples. We both share common enemies, the British and Germans, and alone we are no match, but together we can establish a new order of prosperity and security. The State of the Netherlands is also of the opinion that more laxed travel between our peoples would be beneficial as well. A Dutch delegation will arrive in Paris, and we hope to establish a new alliance that will stand the test of time.

To: The Offices of the Boer Government

To whom it may concern,
The Dutch East India Company, an extension of the Dutch Government, would be interested in investment trade with your great republic. The commercial might of the VoC is unmatched, and we would be honoured to expand our operations in your nation. Trade is the lifeblood of empires, and we feel that a new relationship between the VoC and the Boer Government would be most beneficial.
Last edited by Valentir on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 pm

The Dual Kingdom of Catalonia and Naples

El Dual Regne de Catalunya i Nàpols

We Shall Uphold!
Tripoli, Gramante | January 3 1881 Anno Domini

It was in the Gramante Colony where the ambitions of the Dual Kingdom lied. The Prime Minister was a strong advocate for both Catalan domination of the Mediterranean and the foundation of a colonial empire. The Dual Kingdom had never gotten into the colonial game and slowly maintained their grip over trade in the Mediterranean rather than colonize the new world. Besides, her neighbor and longtime ally, Portugal, had risen as one of the dominant colonial powers, and the Dual Kingdom did not wish to compete directly with their dearest of friends. Instead, the Catalans worked rigorously on assimilating the Sicilians into their empire during the colonial rush. Their work had paid off over the years, bringing the Catalan culture and language to the Italian Peninsula. The number of people who were ethnically Catalan now outnumbered those who were ethnically Italian, and the number of the Catalo-Sicilian ethnic group was even higher than the others combined.

Prime Minister Francesc Pi i Margall looked to the old Catalan policy of assimilation in Naples and Sicily, and slowly began to draft up his over version to apply in Tunis and Gramante. Tunis had been held by the Catalans for nearly one hundred and ninety years, and overtime assimilation and conversations just seemed to happen naturally. Initially, treatment of the native populace by the Dual Kingdom's government was abysmal, but overtime it was realized that violence would not change their ethnicity or their faith. Instead, the government implemented the Altres Fe Tax in 1756. Turning away from violence, the government simply collected an extra tax from people who were not Roman Catholic, especially those of Islamic origin. Over time this inspired many of the Muslims in Tunis to convert to Roman Catholicism, as it helped them save a decent amount of money and allowed them to freely rise up the socioeconomic ladder of the Dual Kingdom. Catalan culture was still not present in Tunis one hundred and ninety years later, but it was ever so slowly being incorporated into the native culture. Most people in the area could speak Catalan as a second language, if they were not themselves fluent in it.

The Prime Minister knew this worked in Tunis, and figured it would work in Gramante, where assimilation was largely untested. Gramanate was Incorporated into the Dual Kingdom first in 1715, but it was not a colony. The land was essentially occupied by the Catalan military and extorted by merchants from throughout the Dual Kingdom for nearly one hundred and twenty five years, when in 1839 the Catalan policy towards Gramante was altered. Instead of brutally subjugating the Gramantes, the Catalan government decided to instead give them colonial status. King Juane III appointed the first Viceroy of Tripoli, which was later called the Viceroy of Gramanate. Assimilation slowly began, but it was by no means a fast task. Conversations to Roman Catholicism did occur due to the Altres Fe Tax, but Catalan was no where close to being widely spoken, especially compared to its presence in neighboring Tunis.

Prime Minister Pi i Margall wanted to change this, and he believed in order to assimilate Gramante it must first be annexed by Tunis. He met with the King for formality, who agreed to the merger, and the Royal Assembly later overwhelming approved it. After all, the Liberals and the Christian Democrats dominated the Royal Assembly, leading a powerful coalition that outnumbered the Conservatives almost four to one. It was then that Joan Terès i Borrull, the Viceroy of Tunis, became the Viceroy of Tunis and Gramante. The Prime Minister still had more plans for North Africa, and slowly turned his attention east.
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fortunagen
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortunagen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 am

The Grand Boer Republic
Translated from Dutch
Factbook

Capital City of Pretoria

A growing city by any means, the capital of the young republic was lively as usual. The city was valued for it's universities and administrative power, and as a result many of the nation's brightest resided within a few kilometers of the Legislature. With electricity finally becoming a commonplace within the cities, the President could finally give the go ahead on numerous infrastructural projects. Including telegraph lines and street cars, the National Service was put to work, and the executive labor force of the President would once again become useful. The majority of the Boer nation consisted of farmers and miners, and while this was profitable, every President since the great Ulrich knew this was not sustainable. Following attempts to modernize educational systems and increase communication, the majority of the decision-makers in the country came to the simple conclusion that there was simply not enough capital inside of the nation for it to provide jobs for an educated middle class. Many had suggestions for the methods of which could be used to generate said capital, but few would reap much benefit. In order to generate some sort of revenue, an open borders policy was adopted for any ships looking to dock of refuel in the nation. Being situated in a strategically important location, this would hopefully create an incentive for foreign merchants to stop by during their voyages. The only problem with this was the lack of a naval infrastructure. In spite of this, trade was the original tool that was going to be used, but lacking and major harbors and/or shipbuilding capabilities meant the nation was limited to primitive caravans to the North and trade along the Swahili coast. This provided a modest income source a long period of time, but this could no longer support the expansive infrastructural projects that were being undertaken. A particularly wealthy senator left a considerable fortune to the state under the purpose of "developing a modern port city on the Cape of Good Hope". Now, 1880 had been a particularly good year for the treasury, and realizing the potential benefits from an actual port, the President had a bill before him that authorized the establishment of the city of Harbon(named after the senator) on the location of the small settlement of Cape Town already present in the area. Using generous eminent domain policies, the plan was authorized. A harbor outfit with drydocks and shipyards was constructed along with zoning for manufacturing and commercial sectors not far away. In an attempt the grow the city quickly, offers of investment were sent to all the nations the Grand Boer Republic had any diplomatic ties with. Hopefully news of the opportunities available would spread around the globe.
To all nations capable of receiving this letter,

On behalf of the Grand Boer Republic, the construction of a great port in the city of Harbon has presented you with the opportunity for investment in a nation rich in natural resources with a stable government and a sensible people. We are hoping to expand our industrial capabilities, and electrical needs will be provided for you upon arrival. The only reason we are letting the rest of the world take a piece of our profit is that we simply do not have the capital. With the help of your investment, we can all see the Republic achieve it's full economic potential.
Last edited by Fortunagen on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puzikas wrote:
Fortunagen wrote:Fortunagen is a non-nuclear state despite having vast reserves of uranium.

We couldn't POSSIBLY be stocking up for something.

Shutup, Iran! :p

Mistelemr wrote:With how many shootings that happen almost daily now, I find it hard to care.

Sure I hate myself for it, but fuck it, we invited this. It's sad, but at some point you just stop caring. People can scream and cry but nothing will ever get done about it. When was it last that a shooting incident like this (or any other) actually made people legitimately search for answers or try a new approach? None that I can think of, It's been the same people, shouting the same expletives with the same people dying.

I hear they have good internet over in Scandinavia.

One day, I'll make this sig cool again.

Sveltlana
Minister

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveltlana » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 am

KALMARUNIONEN SKANDINAVIEN

Chapter One: A Small Problem
4th of January, the year 1881.

-- THE ROYAL PALACE; STOCKHOLM --

The clatter of light soles on marble was the only sound that echoed through the hallways of the Royal Palace. The tea gown was a simple, dark thing, with lace ends and a modest neckline, obviously imported from Britain according to the latest Archibaldian fashion. The woman wore no jewels, no crown and, as a matter of fact, nothing to indicate that she was the rightfully-crowned Lady of Scandinavia. She was so informally-dressed that she did not even wear a hat upon her head. Our Lady was no longer young, but not yet old: one of those Swedish women who begin losing their health (and consequently, beauty) at a rather advanced age, although her body, devoid of youthful energy, clearly indicated the age and experience of the Kalmar Queen. Christine, god-knows-what of her name, of the House of Vasa, the oldest and proudest noble house of Scandinavia.

As she reached a bend in the hallway, she found a door on her way, but, perhaps more obstructively, a company of footmen outside the door.

"My lady!" cried the captain of the footmen as he laid eyes on his Queen (in an obnoxiously loud voice). The Queen extended her hand, and the captain rushed forth to kiss it. "I would respectfully advise you to remain outside. His Highness is very ill, but now he is delirious!" The Queen obviously knew all this, and his repeating it annoyed her incredibly.

"Then he will make more sense than he did at any stage of his life" answered the Queen. "Stand aside, Lord Captain. I wish to see my husband."

"It will be as you wish, my lady!" squealed the footman as he bowed and stood aside. Two of the company opened each of the twin doors and the Queen, adopting the most pleasant face she could muster, entered the room. This was the former master bedroom, which she had abandoned in favor of her rather large boudoir. At the far center of the room, the king lay alone on the enormous bed. A medicus sat at a table on one end of the room, and two assistants were brewing some concoction over the fireplace. Her soles again clattered on the floor as she walked up to the bed.

"Ah, c'est ma femme" said the King in french as he saw the familiar figure of his wife stooping over the bed. His eyes were wild and his mouth twitched involuntarily.

"Et c'est mon homme" she whispered in a shaken voice - their language was Spanish, not French. "How are you feeling?"

The King was about to reply with sarcasm, but somehow made use of his wits again and replied, honestly, "better than yesterday, ma femme." She kissed his hand. She smiled bitterly, spoke with him casually for as long as manners required, and then exchanged farewells with her husband at the bed, assuring him that she would return soon. Gathering her skirts, she briskly walked away. At the door, she was handed a note by the doctor, which she kept in her closed fist.

The mascarons on the marble hallway stared at her again as she walked back to her room. Paintings of animals being slaughtered by past monarchs, on horseback, attentively observed her. She shuddered as she passed the King's portrait. The wide windows let an enormous amount of light into the hallway, leting her observe every atom of the King's sharp features. It was with relief that the Queen opened the door to her study, closed the door shut, and opened her fist. She removed the gloves from her hands.

Your highness,

According to your request, I have examined his excellency thoroughly and have come to the conclusion that the health he has at the moment is brief, a final dash of life in him. I regretfully inform your highness that his lordship is estimated to live but for another few days. At most a week, but perhaps two with God's intercession.

Respectfully,
Dr. A.S. Malksvist

Four words caught her attention: "a week... perhaps two." She smiled. What a wife I am, she thought, and rang the bell.

The maid rushed in.

"Alva, darling, have the girls come in. We need to have a little chat."

There was a slight problem: one of these was to be crowned Queen of Scandinavia within the next few months, and all three were bachelorettes.
Last edited by Sveltlana on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
ASTURIAS STRONK

Now, mortal, you have made the mistake of opening Pandora's Box. What evils have you unleashed upon the Earth?

Me, Svet lol good one svet
Me, Svet
: ikr svet it was pretty good

-- Politics --
Fuck that.

Senka: [about me] "You are a deplorable reactionary fascist cockroach with no hope of redemption who should be condemned to burn with the rest of the plutocratic imperialist stooges in the cleansing atomic fire of the righteous."

The Khedive
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Part 1 - Ostalgie

Postby The Khedive » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 am

HRH Victoria of Hanover

The City of Berlin
Kingdom of Prussia
North German Confederation

31. Dezember. 1880

"10! 9!..."

Even here, the spectre of Prussian militarism pervaded, nay, paraded. A robotic jackboot of suffocating reaction and brutal efficiency wielded in both hands clenched, stamping upon the face of the last vestiges of liberty. In poised goosestep it marched out of eighteen eighty, and into eighteen eighty-one, where it would unfurl its infernal banners in defiance to the world.

And at the head of it all was that devil man, that Pied Piper, Herr Bismarck. Behind him all of Hohenzollern crawled, from grandfather to cradle, fallen under his spell or maybe, most likely, the victims of their own incantation of bloodlust and madness. They called it nationalism. She called it barbarism.

Meanwhile like vultures the great Concert of Europe circled the freshly arisen nation of North Germany, like Cadmean men sprung from dragon's teeth. Ruthenia nested in Prussia's ancestral lands. Bohemia withheld German Austria. Francia still smarted from its defeat ten years ago. The United Kingdom peered in suspicion. And across the Channel, Britannia growled.

"...4! 3! 2! 1!"

Another year, with no sight of freedom. And worse yet, her dear lord husband was not with her to share with her her hopes and fears. Theirs was a loving union, a happy marriage that challenged the pride of conservative monarchs, a coupling that had brought forth beautiful children. But he was far away, across distant seas, in Mongolia entreating foreign courts, or at least on his way. She knew the distance, and it would be long before his return.

She longed for him dearly.

But here, at home, that is to say the Stadtschloss, the Hohenzollerns had a little gathering of their own, and if anything one could appreciate their genuine gestures of goodwill. All the members were here, excepting the patriarch, King Wilhelm, who retired early on account of his age. From her chambers she could hear the hearty bawling of her uncles and cousins in law, and felt her sons listening, learning. It would be their turn to take the throne in time.

A knock at the door. A boy entered, barely twenty-two, back on leave from the army, far too young. Little Fritz, with his dashing officer's uniform and moustache. Almost too Prussian. Not too long ago he was learning to ride. Soon he would be king.

"Mother," he called. It was an accent too harsh and too strong, its source none other than that Bismarck on whose lap he had bounced on all his childhood.

"We are lonesome without your radiant presence. Come, join us in the festivities downstairs."

She turned from the revelling reverie of a thousand sparkling lights of fireworks at midnight over the smog-filled skies of Berlin -- the workers continued to toil unceasingly -- and into the gloom of Fritz's eyes. She was his mother, but it was Bismarck who stared back. The devil had raised him, and raised him too well at that. And yet...

He was her son. That much was clear.

HRH Friedrich Karl of Prussia

The City of Berlin
Kingdom of Prussia
North German Confederation

1. Januar 1881

"...2! 1!"

New Year came and passed, like the rest before it. The world remained the same, entrenched in its old way of thinking. Konigsberg remained in filthy Lechian hands. Germans everywhere grasped for a vision, a dream, some ancestral longing that tied all Germania together in a primordial blood rite of kinship. The intelligentsia were calling it volksturm.

Now the drinks had been overflowing, and as the more whimsical tales and subjects of the previous day and year had passed in rapid succession, the one that lay deep in their quivering bosoms burst forth to seek centre stage.

The voices blurred in his head until the Red Prince wasn't sure which one was his. Must've been the angry one.

"... War is imminent. Once the winter frost thaws so too will these feigned smiles."

"The question is not when. The question is not where."

"And the who is not even a question!"

"The question is how."

"The battle lines have been drawn long before our time. On one side we have Portugal."

"And Britannia!"

"Yes, Portugal and the Commonwealth."

"And on the other we have Francia."

"Who else?"

"Francia would not dare march alone."

"I'd wager they'll pull the United Kingdom into this fight."

"Yes, so they'll counterbalance the navies... Hic!"

"Two continental powers and two naval powers."

"Make that two continental powers and three naval powers."

"What do you mean?"

"Portugal's a continental power as well as a naval power."

"It's hardly balanced."

"They wouldn't dare if it was."

"Whatever the outcome, I dare say Francia will be left weak."

"Aye, and Amsterdam too!"

"Luxembourg and Limburg will be free at last."

"Why wait? I'm sure we have more to gain on the Portuguese side."

"And they need us."

"True! A land power!"

"We'll be back before spring!"

"And we could have the Dutch fleet at the negotiation table."

"If we still had a navy."

"It is too large for us to overcome."

"Better off Copenhagen-ing the Britons."

"What's a Copenhagen, eh?"

"It's where you take someone else's fleet."

"And, what, use it?"

"That's not very nice."

"Uncles, cousins, you're missing the big picture. The West is not our concern, except to make allies."

"That's a shame. We haven't had a war in ten years."

"You'll have your war. In the East."

"Konigsberg?"

"No. Prussia."

"Thought we already were Prussia?"

"In name."

"So we don't have Prussia?"

"Then why are we the Kingdom of Prussia?"

Silence. This time it was Friedrich the Younger's turn to speak.

"Because the matter hasn't been resolved."

TO: Foreign Office, Mongol Empire

Salutations,

The North German Confederation is greatly concerned with the happenings within the state of your most eternal empire. Our Government has despatched HRH Prince Friedrich of Prussia to discuss matters within your stately court and pursue more cordial ties, on behalf of the Confederation as a whole. We pray he may be granted an audience with His Imperial Majesty.

On behalf of His Royal Majesty,
King Wilhelm of Prussia
Last edited by The Khedive on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:08 am, edited 12 times in total.
A tug springs at the strings from Seljuq Kyiv.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 am

Les Etats-Unis de Nouvelle France
Ville de Quebec, Quebec, Nouvelle France

Chapter 1: To Divide a Continent,
1st of January, 1881 AD

President Leclerc adjusted his monocle ever so slightly whilst also squinting in his good eye, his left, as he examined the newspaper. He had barely touched his breakfast. Comforting strokes of steam rising into the air from his cup of tea were accompanied by the intoxicating bouquet of the sweet honey and jam upon warm toast, a favourite of the elderly gentleman. Leclerc had become heavily interested in the ideas of this Antarctic Expedition and would surely bring the matter up to the Senate once the meeting started earlier today. He frowned upon reading the other pieces of news; earthquakes in Corfu, cholera in parts of the Commonwealth's holdings in India and the strong demands of the Clergy in the CMA. He agreed with what the Clergy said, but the Government of the CMA, as far as Leclerc could recall, were not exactly the most willing to cooperate on demands of the populace - especially on matters such as National Conscription.

He took a sip of his tea, the warm, sweet liquid calming him down ever so slightly and warming him up on the cold January Morning. His least favourite day of the year the 1st of January was. This was because of the fact the previous evening he'd have been up late at family get togethers, business parties and whatnot and was still required to wake up rather early for duties. Still, he had managed the past 3 years and had no ideas on giving up his post nor his hobbies on the 31th of December either. Before long he had finished and his chauffeur, a man almost as old as he was, had entered the room. He bowed out of respect and held open the door. Leclerc got up and reached for his black umbrella. As he approached the door, he nodded to his chauffeur and proceeded to walk outside towards the wagon.

The rain was not heavy, but it still caused the president to open his umbrella to prevent his suit from getting wet. Pats upon the fabric became an orchestral symphony of the elements that was suddenly cut short as the closed the umbrella rapidly, placed it on an outside basket and sat within the red, velvety seats of his wagon. He knocked upon the opposite side of the wagon, alerting his chauffeur he was ready to leave. A flick of the reins was heard next and the wagon began its journey across the beautifully lit streets of Quebec. Hooves, wheels and rain were all that was heard, impacting the cobble stone streets with a comforting clack. The city was sleeping, many would remark. Only postmen and milkmen were often seen at this hour, with the other patrons of the morning being Representatives and Ministers all heading towards the Senate Building. It was an incredibly impressive structure, piercing the heavens her dome was and her spires too touched the clouds with grace. Made of marble and stone she could be seen from all across Quebec, a true testimony to the endurance of such a nation. (Little was mentioned on the fact it was previously the Colonial Governor's House.)

Chambre du Peuple, Ville de Quebec, Quebec, Nouvelle France

"Gentlemen, today we begin on a rather saddening note. Various affairs around the World have culminated in a great surge, especially within myself, in a belief that we must act in helping other nations on the World Stage. In accordance with the horrendous affects of the Earthquake in Corfu, I propose we are to send a sum of money to any afflicted nations as a sort of, relief fund. In response to the outbreak of Cholera in British Punjab, I would also like to volunteer, to send with the Commonwealth's consent, a team of Nouvelle Francais Scientists to help identify the water sources which are causing this problem." This was the opening statement of President Leclerc, earning many a cheer from the Liberal dominated house.

Prime Minister Dupont continued, standing up from his podium and dusting down his great, black silken suit. "On the home-front, so to speak, the following bills that were passed have shown great success. The Mandatory-Vaccinations Act, which as we all know was rather... a push forward, has seen great improvement in the public health of all. The housing act that we fought to push forward has also seen many a great success, as have the others including the lesser public oriented economic policies."

Panama, De Verenigde Provinciën van Megiko

Bouchard inhaled the cigar smoke heavily, watching the construction of the Panama Canal from the Bouchard-Tremblay Industries building. It was here, nearby the site, that the investors from his company, with the blessing of the Megiko Government, had set up shop. Here they made sure their funds were well used into construction efforts and gave an approving overwatch on the project itself as it was to be carried out. The Dutch too, if Bouchard's memory could recall it well, had also set up investors nearby but that wasn't his focus at the moment. He merely wished to continue his cigar, the faint red hue emanating from the burning end reflecting upon the ring on his index finger, and to watch the project continue. With it, the continent may have been split in two, but the relations between Nouvelle France and Megiko would come closer than ever.

To: The Foreign Office of the Commonwealth
From: Jean-Baptiste Leclerc, President of Les Etats-Unis de Nouvelle France

It has come to the attention of many here in Nouvelle France of the rather unfortunate and disastrous outbreak of the Cholera in your holdings in the Punjab. It is with this in mind and sentiment in our hearts that I offer, with your blessing of course, that the Government of Nouvelle France dispatches several scientists to aid in the search for the cause of the outbreak, to aide the people of your territory and to help out with the civilian populaces of all nations. I hope you are not offended by this request and do take it into consideration.

To: The Foreign Office of the Dual Kingdom
From: Jean-Baptiste Leclerc, President of Les Etats-Unis de Nouvelle France

Dearest Receiver of this Missive.
It is with great sadness in my heart that I find out of the dire situation in Albania and Corfu. Due to the dire situation in which the common people find themselves in, it is, henceforth, in my best interests to aid in the bettering of their lives to perhaps even better standard than prior to the disaster. Because of this, alongside this letter you will come across a Cheque for 10,000 Francs that may be redeemed for your own currency at any local bank.
God's Speed, my dearest compatriots!
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:06 am

The Second Finnish Republic

Chapter 1: God Save the Suomi

Turku, Republic of Finland, Anno Domini 1881

"So, what are you babbling about?" General Bahjo Kohjonen of the Western Corps, nephew of the now dead King of Finland Pahjo I. Thankfully, his loyalty to the republic, he saved his post and his life in Finland. However, he was not very liked amongst both the masses and the politics. He was impatient.

"The meeting of the Parliament has just now finished. They looked over the situation, signed the budget for 1881 and discussed the current political position." Harri Arhonen, Minister of Military, as well as Bahjo's close friend and brother-in-law, replied. He was the leader of the Finnish Socialist Party, which Bahjo was a member of. "It's quite interesting news."

"Why should I care? I am a soldier, not a politician." Bahjo was about to open the door and leave the small house for the streets of Turku, when Harri stopped him.

"Unlike quite a lot of people I know, you are both of them. And it is important not only for me, but also for you and the Socialist Party."

Bahjo slowly turned around. "What is it?"

"It seems that the Democrats have sought out our strategy. The Socialist Party has recently been banned from elections, and we both will become unemployed by January 31st."

Bahjo walked out to the streets. "Don't tell me they are reshuffling the entire military again."

"Yes, they are. The regiments will be reorganized and most of the bureaucracy will be removed. The military spending was also reduced. I don't get many glimpses on the work of Pahjo Vethonen, Minister of Foreign Policy, as well as the President, but I believe they are planning to sign a non-aggression pact with Sweden next month."

"Those Democrats believe they will get away from war by sucking up to others and sitting behind the Rovaniemi line."

"Exactly. In other news, a new paper factory has opened in Kemi. I believe they need experienced nanagers there. You can plan out your job already."

"I don't think Finland itself is a safe place for us anymore. I worked on making it a power, but we'd rather just sit in our fortress and wait until the Apocalypse comes, it seems."
Last edited by Finland SSR on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:35 am

Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland

Chapter 1 - Reign of Giants

City of Westminster, District Britannia
January 1st, 1881

The red hot sun ascended, ablaze, above the azure waters of the Thames. The Houses of Parliament in the City of Westminster - even in all their grandeur and majesty - were but a leaf in the wind when compared to the magnificence and beauty of the great sun above. Inside the largest of the Houses of Parliament - the House of Commons - a debate had been ongoing for many an hour. The issues were many, but the main was that of social welfare. For many a moon, the Liberal Party had been torn asunder by conflicting views on whether or not welfare should be distributed. The party - which made up a good 75% of the House - was split into two factions; the so-called 'Ritchites' or 'National Liberals' led by Charles Thomson Ritchie, and the aptly dubbed 'Bannermen' or 'Social Democratic Liberals' led by Henry Campbell-Bannerman. The former advocated free market capitalism whereby the lower classes should not be granted welfare, for it was undignified. The latter advocated social welfare that would redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, and would be able to provide for all. This long debate, however, had made it clear that reconciliation was not possible, and that the two factions would soon become independent parties. This was a huge event in the Commonwealth, as the party which previously dominated the House for the past three hundred or so years would finally come to an end. The Liberal Party was dead.

RH Henry Campbell-Bannerman and his 'Bannermen' were the first of the two factions to realise that the party was dead, and formally renounced their membership to the party. This sent shockwaves through Parliament, as hundreds of now-independent MPs roamed it's halls. The Ritchites quickly followed, and Charles Thomson Ritchie famously said "Liberalism is dead." The two opposing sects now moved quickly to found new parties and to redirect their monetary flow from the Liberal party to their own. Campbell-Bannerman registered the 'Party of Social Democratic Liberals' on the 2nd of January. Ritchie, on the 3rd, registered the 'Party of National Liberals'. The house was now more split than ever before, with the National Liberals comprising around 30% of the seats, the Social Democratic Liberals comprising around 50% of the seats, the Conservatives comprising around 15% of the seats and the High Tories comprising around 5% of the seats. The Bannermen had a majority; just. Quickly, Ritchie organised a 'Conservative and Nationalist Coalition' with the other two right-of-centre parties, and the house was divided; perfectly so. Luckily for the Social Democrats, however, the Lord Protector had remained true to the Liberal cause, and appointed Campbell-Bannerman as Prime Minister once more.
Last edited by Caltarania on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 am

The Globe Broadsheet

The First To Know

Cholera in British Punjab
1/2/1881
A major outbreak of cholera has occurred once again, this time in India, mainly within the city of Karachi and its surrounds. Though much of the world has much improved its hygiene and water supplies since the last outbreak several decades ago, resulting in regions of Europe and the Americas becoming largely insusceptible, the fear is that the major port city may soon spread a new epidemic across southern Asia, and perhaps, by virtue of its traffic of trade and the like, into other unprepared regions of the world.

At present, it is estimated that well over a thousand have become infected with the diarrhoea-inducing illness with a handful of recorded deaths already, natives and colonisers alike, a small enough number within the region itself, but certainly enough to transmit cholera about the world before a painful death if left untreated. Local authorities have only begun to take measures, and it appears that this strain may be particularly infectious. However, thankfully, many patients have reported less pain and easier recoveries where recovery has been possible.

Though, at this stage, which direction this plague will take, the characteristics of this strain and the effect this cholera outbreak will have on both British Asia, India and the world as a whole are unclear, and to depend on rapid action, regardless of the nature of the cholera. Cleanliness and carefulness are stressed, in dealing with the disease, currently confined to within several days' ride of Karachi, though further up along the Indus river, whose polluted state is thought to be linked to the outbreak at hand by those on scene.
Image A group of Commonwealth cholera researchers in Egypt who began to make their way to Karachi upon hearing of the outbreak there
Clergy Demand Conscription Exemptions in CMA
11/1/1881
Hot on the tails of their work during Christmas, the Catholic clergymen of the Andean nation have managed to arrange a petition, signed by thousands of both men of the cloth and their congregations, requesting exemption from mandatory military service for the church's employees and employees' immediate family, due to the spiritual nature of their work, more important than the army, they say. The largely Catholic nation currently has a compulsory system of universal military training that goes for three years starting from the age of 18, unless exempted by special circumstances that render one unfit to serve. The militaristic nation has tended to pull all the resources it can into its army for service, and generally, within recent history, the populace has not objected greatly. However, this is one movement that the population seems to have gotten behind.

Though the government has not responded yet, Archbishop Adrian Grifo Abel, an important figure in Cochabamba, has already been chosen by consensus to present the petition sometime during the month of January. Its specific wording calls for "all priests and their immediate family to be granted immunity from compulsory military service of any type, except as non combatant personnel or chaplains during wartime," in addition to the de-listing of all priests and their family from reserves lists.

It is unclear how the secular country's government plans to react at the time, especially as the movement has only come so recently to light, and also in light of the CMA's secular bent, despite the majority Catholic Christian population. The Pope, furthermore, has also not yet made clear a position on the issue, due to the distance of the See from the action in the Andes, but Rome is expected to issue some kind of public stance soon, owing to its relevance of the petition. In general, if accepted, the petition would remove thousands from the nation's manpower pool, and if denied, it would most likely trigger protests that might need to be suppressed, perhaps even damaging foreign relations with the Papal States.
Rioting in Mongol Hanoi
15/3/1881
An altercation with a tax official recently in the northern agricultural outskirts of Hanoi, allegedly over a pig and two chickens of undisclosed gender, has led to what is currently a state of anarchy within much of outer Hanoi, as well as disorder in the inner city. Though the instability might be easily rectified due to the disorganized and largely unarmed nature of the looters, its ramifications are notable, in spite of its humble start.

It is believed that a tax official of the Mongol Empire attempted to extract taxes from a farmer's wife while the farmer was not at home, regarding the keeping of livestock, specifically a large hog, but also with two chickens being part of the issue as well. It ended with the death of both chickens and the theft of their bodies by a dog, which the farmer's wife consequently cursed with a string of expletives commonly used against the racially Mongolian, and as the tax official objected, the farmer returned, the argument quickly escalating into a brawl. Passing soldiers quickly arrested the farmer and his friends who had come to help, but any hope of keeping things calm went up in flames when the farmer's house was torched by a drunkard soldier. The incarcerated were broken out of their restraints on their way to a local magistrate or officer who was to arbitrate and preside over judgement by sympathetic locals, finally the Vietnamese and anti-empire citizens starting a riot against the Mongols, who first attempted to resist within said provincial street but who instead inflamed them. The entire event escalated to looting and racial violence from that point on, eventually cover several large areas of Hanoi, predominantly poorer areas.

Order has not yet been re-established, and though it would not take many troops to get the wild frenzy of a mob, armed with the most rudimentary weapons, under control, it is notable for having escalated so quickly from something that appeared to be handled most unprofessionally. It may perhaps provoke international attention towards the larger issue of troubled Mongol rule, especially so far from its capital and so close to borders with French colonies in Indochina and the Portuguese protectorate of Siam. It does indeed, come at a time when the Kyrgyz revolts that began last year continue to have effect on the west, in the central Asian steppes, in ways that have reverberated all about the large empire; some perceive that the uprising helped in causing the atmosphere that resulted in the Hanoi Riots.
Earthquake Strikes Corfu
2/3/1881
Very recently, a powerful earthquake was reported to have hit the northern shore of Corfu, a Greek island in the Adriatic. Resulting in much destruction of properties, and deaths, from the preliminary reports, it has principally affected Catalonian-Neapolitan Albania and Hellenic Epirus & Corfu. Aftershocks have also been recorded, as well as a small tsunami that caused further havoc along Adriatic coast, much of it Italian. The largest and most noticeable earthquake within the past couple of years, it is to be hoped that the death, injury and destruction it has caused, already likely to amount to many fortunes and at least a handful of casualties, in addition to thousands affected in body and mind. It is supposed that relief efforts are being organised, but in any case, the area around the epicentre, just on the shoreline of Corfu, almost to within the line of sight, has been devastated. Thankfully, both the Hellenic Republic and the Dual Kingdom are quite capable of handling the catastrophe, though how efficiently they do so remains to be seen, especially considering their rivalry that may hamper cooperation and coordination in recovery efforts and rebuilding. The two nations, though not particularly friendly, may well be forced together in order to give their people the best treatment possible in the matter of the repair of Albania, Corfu and Epirus, and perhaps even some coastal areas of Naples.
Advertisement for Adventurous Readers
16/3/1881
An Antarctic expedition is set to begin in 1882, with explorer and prominent international personality Jean de Raffeteur looking to use his considerable wealth to hire a party of aspiring voyagers to accompany him on a trip to attempt to claim the South Pole. Though no governments have offered their support yet, he is confident that sponsorship will soon be found. Up to 10 applicants will be allowed into the party, which will be composed primarily of educated, fit young gentlemen. Those who are physically able and without defect, either in mind or body, should apply either to his office in London, or his current residence in countryside Pallasia. To acquire the addresses of the locations, find your nearest Globe Broadsheet office, which will direct you to either.
Last edited by Alleniana on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:49 am

Chapter 1: The Lion, The Prey, And The Hunters

January 1st of 1881

The sun rose on the top of the Presidential Palace as Rafael Nunez, President of Gran Colombia and the Supreme Commander of its glorious military stood out in the backyard of the Palace, stretched his body and did exercises to made his body healthier. Surely a good physical condition and mental condition is needed during this tense times. Hostility with Mexico and the growing tension between Colombia and its neighbors tend to be...not healthy.

On the other hand, Rafael also has problems domestically. Infrastructures must be improved to satisfy investors's needs to invest in Colombia. And that will also causes frictions with local Amerindian tribes and government. Which must be improved. To be seen, they are the Lions, its economy is the preys for the hunters, the investors. Lions that is weaker compared to its hunters.

In the meantime, he ordered the military to prepared itself for the worst and trained its body and mind to its peak, while also maintaining the navy and expanding the arms industry to be able to self-sufficient and to exports its arms to his smaller and weaker neighbors, like Uruguay.
Last edited by Altito Asmoro on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Sasutary Island
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sasutary Island » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 am

Chapter 1: The Wakening
The Kingdom of Afghanistan
خدا نجات پادشاه

Kabul, The Kingdom of Afghanistan
1 January 1881

The local market was abuzz, people selling goods imported or otherwise. The recent flood of foreign investment quickened Afghanistan's modernization. The fields were replaced by factories, the people increasingly find themselves above the poverty line, earning 27 shillings a month. Up from 10 Shillings a month. The people were content with life, and were splashing out money on furniture and entertainment in Opera Halls. The opulence of Kabul was unmatched in Asia. The paved sidewalks were lined with traders touting imported date-fruits, drinks and western products such as kitchenware. A license was needed for any man to own a gun, and there was a limit to how many guns a man could have. People on horseback were a common sight now, though Automobiles have yet to make a presence in Afghanistan. Off duty troops acted as policemen, ensuring that no violence or discontent was abound.

In the Royal Courtyard, sweepers were clearing the footpaths of fallen leaves and litter. Ceremonial guards stand guard and watch over the perimeter of the Palace grounds for any Radical Muslim Militants. The Palace garden was open to the public, and the numerous Gazebos of the park were always filled with families having picnics. All was fine and well in Kabul.

King Karzai Shah sat in his room, a fine palace it was. The smooth, velvety carpet, the fine interior and exterior of the Palace which had belonged to the previous, deposed, Imam of Afghanistan. He looked into his glass of Water, the water was rippling as he breathed. He felt a sense of unease, his Kingdom's location between the British and the Persians was a great threat to national security. Thankfully for him, the previous Imam had built 4 defensive lines on the border. Walled cities remained walled cities and the army was beginning to step up its military activity in the Hindu Kush as exercises. He had to find allies; Afghanistan's long standing isolationism was endangering the nation itself. He had sent forth messengers to the French a few months ago, though they still have yet to return. This was still not enough, in the King's mind. He had to buy the support of the Dutch, the Mongolians and probably the Portuguese as-well if he were to stand a chance against foreign aggression. Persians and British have long posed a threat, and with these allies King Shah hoped to cut them down to size.

Ahmad, come here please. I want you to send a delegation to each of these nations. I want to restart Afghanistan's diplomatic ties with the world. No Westerner or Persian will set foot on our soil.

"Yes your highness, what are the nations in question?"

The Dutch and the Mongolians. They are brave men, my father studied their ways. Send with the delegates a special something for their leaders. Opium Poppy should suffice.

"Yes your Highness, I shall have them notified and a train waiting for them right away. Anything else, your highness?"

I would like another string of Dates if you don't mind Ahmad.

Outskirts of Kabul, Kabul Train Central
The delegation boarded a train that ran from Kabul to Kandahar, before crossing the border into British Pakistan and then through Portuguese India, before reaching Dutch-controlled Bengal. The train was a regular passenger train, and the men hid their cases of legal documents, written in both English and Pashto, under a modified flooring, should any British or Portuguese customs officer check for their baggage. Accompanied by 2 bodyguards, the delegation set off. The train slowly chugged its way out of the station, leaving behind it a giant plume of steam. Railways had only recently been made in Afghanistan, even then only by foreign Investors. These machines revolutionized how the world traveled, and it was expected for the delegation to reach Bengal within 2 days.

Hindu Kush, a Telegraph Station
"Sir, sir! Telegraph from the King."

A tall man with a mustache was interrupted from his morning breakfast. Called Harim Kazani, he turned his head over his shoulders, and snatched the Telegram from him. It stated that he was to cross the border into Han Chinese lands, and be the official delegate for the Afghan people to ask for a military alliance from them. His skills in most of the Chinese dialects would help him, and with a few Sherpa guides and mountain horses, set off to the nearest Han settlement, taking with him a box of specially chosen Opium Poppies. His long and grueling journey over the Himalayan mountains and into Han controlled lands took its toll on Harim and his guides, but soon he would see it through. Soon.

Western Defensive Line, 2nd Charikar Fusiliers
The men lined up, single file above the trenches. The foreign officer checked each and everyone of them. Their guns, uniforms, trenches all had to be nice and tidy. The 2nd Charikar Fusiliers were a green batch of troops, who had been joined up as volunteers, though their training and equipment were not the best the army could have offered, they were trained by officers who were trained abroad, and at least their guns could shoot straight. The fusiliers went into the Western Defensive line to relieve the 1st Westerner Fusiliers. Their tour of duty was to last 12 months on the front line, guarding the border of Afghanistan from illegal smugglers, bandits and outside aggression. The Fusiliers were dismissed back to their trenches, and began their new daily routine of expanding the trenches, cleaning the trenches, and sleeping in the trenches. Every 2 hours, a few men are chosen to be able walk outside and stretch their legs, while the rest slept, were on sentry duty or huddled around the fireplace and eat or play cards. There were many other battalions along the Western Defensive line, the two closest to the 2nd Charikars were the 1st Balock Skirmish Battalion and the 2nd Royal Kandahar Line Battalion.

Though discouraged by their superiors, the men often mingled with these men and made friends, some of whom were as far afield as the Hindu Kush tribes. As part of their first month orientation to the Afghan border fortifications, they conducted test firings of their weapons against scarecrows and the best shots were picked out to be outfitted with better equipment. Earning roughly 60 Shillings a month, roughly 3 times the pay of a regular civilian, and they also received tax cuts and retirement benefits. As the sun set on the Western Fortifications, the men used oil lamps and began to enlarge and upgrading their defensive positions, digging dug-outs, and ensuring their trenches were pest free. The almost rain-less weather that was most of Afghanistan provided comfortable living conditions, and the men were supplied with thick sleeping bags made of yak or cattle hide. Surely there was to be no war anytime soon...
In sarcastic rememberance of the 13 people who got told off/warned/banned/DEAT'd in a thread about a gassed Furry Con. Never forget, Idiocy is everywhere.
I am an proud, independent nation of the Sovereignty Cooperation Pact!
Also a Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
I am an Ultra-Progressive, Open Minded, Skeptic towards Religion, laissez-faire capitalist and a Libetarian; a kind-hearted idealistic egalitarian with several strong convictions IRL.
GODDAMN IT RP CORRECTLY OR ELSE

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 am

De Verenigde Provinciën van Megiko

Chapter 1: A Canal To Die For,
1st of January, 1881 AD

Megiko City
January 1st, 1881 AD

Megiko city was the largest and the most industrialized city in the entirety united provinces something to be expected from the capital city. The city had been built on the ruins of the old Aztec capital from when the dutch first came and conquered the region in the name of their republic. It had since then only grown larger and larger while the architecture was made into the dutch style. For Stadtholder Holstege the city was the prize of years of political climbing before finally taking his place as leader of Megiko.

The parliament was currently divided into three main blocks. The liberal people's party lead by Holstege, the National Megikaaners party and finally the social Democratic Party. Currently the liberal party was the largest and had 46% of the seats while the NMP had 31% and e social democrats had 23%. Holstege had only one year of his term remaining however and much could change during one year, especially with how the politics of Germanic and Latin America worked.
Holstege had under his term increased the relations with the United States of Nouvelle France to heights it had never reached before while strengthening Megiko's stance of neutrality on the Uruguay question between Brazil and Argentina.

This had made him come in conflict with the NMP more than once as the NMP wanted action and to take side on the Uruguay question. Because of that the NMP was Holstege and his Liberal people's party greatest internal opponent despite their reluctant support for the Panama Canal. Holstege just hoped now that the people would have been satisfied with his industrialization reforms, the continuation of the Panama Canal construction and modernization could get him reelected and keep the NMP out of power while potentially dealing with the social democrats in different issues such as the relations with foreign powers.

Panama,
January 1st, 1881 AD

Daan Raithel was the overseer of the construction in the canal. A great honor and place to prove himself. Having lead the construction for over four years now he was an experienced man who had to contend with disease, fatigue, money and the bureaucracy in order to build the canal. The work was paying of though as increasing support from both the government and foreign companies and power had brought in much more money, workers and equipment for the construction. Sure some workers had died because of the fatigue and disease but something like this was never achieved without some sacrifices.

There was a greater problem though and that was the Colombians who made a security threat to the canal because of their close proximity. Many would say they where not going to risk having to fight through the thousands of Megikaaner soldiers and militias in a thick disease ridden jungle while under fire by enemy soldiers who are backed by New France and the dutch to reach the canal but one could never really trust those half-Portuguese bastards anyway now could one?
Last edited by Epraria on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me Easy-E or Eppie if you want but you can if you are really lazy call me Ep.
I am Spanish so don't ever expect me to have anything close to perfect grammar.
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
Myansaland wrote:
HorusLand wrote:How's the revolution going?

I will not pay my taxes this year :p

After all, I recieved a letter from the City of Warsaw recognizing me as an indepedent apartment.

Founding Member of LAVMEO
My proud anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5dSdxUGLc

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:33 am

January 1st, 1881
City of Bithynia (Constantinople's turkish side), Kingdom of Bithynia

The capital of the Pontian was lively as always with the markets filled with goods that ships brought everyday from all over the world. Spices from india, fruits from pontus, cloth from italy and more all filled the stalls of merchants. The greatest thing in the city was not the markets though but was the palace of Queen Helena II where she ruled the kingdom of Bithynia in vassalship of the kingdom of Pontus. The palace could be seen from almost any point in the city and its white walls gleamed in the sun as though Apollo himself approved of the palace.

Inside the palace was a flurry as the crown prince of Pontus was coming that day to visit the vassal state. Crown Prince Pontius Pontus or the Blue Lion as he was known by many was the heir of Pontus and the commander of her armies. The name Blue Lion was one he earned putting down a pretender rebellion in the south of Pontus where he was described to have a blue lion beside him protecting him during battle. It is widely believed to be a sign that he is favored by the gods though few actually saw the lion and the fact that his flag crest is a blue lion could have had people mistake the the large crest as an actual lion in the chaos of battle. The name stuck though and many people believe he is protected by a blue lion sent by the gods themselves.

It was noon when the carriage pulled up to the palace with the crown prince inside. He exited the carriage with his cloak of purple adorned with his crest of the blue lion standing an impressive 6'4. Bronzed skin, brown eyed, and black haired, the crown prince was a highly popular figure in the kingdom at only 24 years of age. Queen Helena II stood across from the crown prince and both entered the palace idly chatting before getting the throne room and discussing the true extent of the visit and that was the yearly discussion of the vassalship of Bithynia to Pontus.
Last edited by Paketo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:38 am

Sugarloaf Hill, State of the Ryukyus

*Sugarloaf Hill is the name given by American marines to the hill during the battle of Okinawa during WW2.

On Sugarloaf hill stands a grand Pagoda structure, it gives the impression of an ancient relic that has survived the harshest typhoons, landslides and calamities that have struck the Ryukyu Islands in their past. However, this is a lie - as the structure was built 25 years earlier out of the finest oak, specifically imported from North America and other advanced materials. The roof tiles are made from red clay that too is imported, and made in the Roman style - this increases the weather resistance that is so vital in Okinawa and all over the Ryukyus. The windows aren't paned but have shutters for all eight stories of the pagoda.

Inside... a meeting of pivotal importance was occurring.

"Thou art stupid" A Council member hissed at another of his brethren, who had suggested that they become vassals of the Mongols and their poisonous empire. The remaining 38 looked at them; some smiling at the childish quarrel between them and some scowling fiercely.
"Nay, ye is the stupid one-" he fired back, angered at his other member's refusal to listen to his plan of course being interrupted along the way.
"Perchance I wilt request thou dismissals from the Council..." an older, wiser and much more experienced voice scolded - reminding them at once of his 20 years as a member of the Council.

"...We shalt not go whither the Mongols go" he then continued, quickly shooting down the idea of becoming a vassal of them and ending another three hour meeting of the Council.
Last edited by The Emerald Dragon on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bujahla
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bujahla » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 am

Republic of Portugal
A World Affair | Chapter 1: Mapa Cor-de-rosa

A photo of the Cookian Geographical Society of the Commonwealth's meeting place.

January 14th | London, Britain

With the gaze of a zebra the man looked out over the field of men before him. Slowly each one turned into another blade of grass and the fields of the African land were back in his mind. From the fields of grass they morphed into a jungle and than into a river. It was as if Alexandre de Serpa Pinto was back in Africa once more. He could see the Victorian falls again before suddenly begin engulfed in a rush of water. He was out and back in Angola where the bright green leaves of the jungles sat within miles of the edges of Launda. He'd take a step forward and a lion would appear lunging at him. He huddled as the he feared for his life. The lion was in mid air, posed and striking, but the attack never came. "Mr. Pinto? Mr. Pinto?"

"Oh sim. My apologizes. I would like to take this moment to thank my partners, Lieutenant Commander Capelo and Lieutenant Ivens. The journey across the heart of darkness was a long and unforgiving voyage, and I wouldn't have made it without the support of my companheiros. I would also like to thank the Portuguese Government and all investors. The riches of Africa are still yet undiscovered but the voyage between Angola and Mozambique is a small step for the enlightenment of the world. Valueu and may the world one day be known in it's entirety!"

The audience gave a large round of applause for Sera Pinto, the explorer of Africa. He set out on a journey just a few years before and traveled over 500 miles in Africa. The exploration would set the tone and policy for future explorations and extortion by the Portuguese government. With this voyage, the Portuguese would start to lay claim to area between the two colonies and to make them one.

An old painting of Lisbon, Portugal

February 4th | Lisbon, Portugal

The smell of hardwood furniture, stacks of papers, and tired and sleepless assistants filled the nostrils of Adão de Castro. Without hesitation, he walked into the office with a powerful stride. His shoes clicked against the polished floor and the power vibrated through the room. The assistants briefly looked up as their boss, the leader of the Português Democrático Partido da Justiça, strode into his office. "Get back to work. This government isn't gonna run itself! To hell if it is even running now!"

The Portuguese government is currently ruled by a coalition of conservative parties. Known as the United Coalition Direito it is headed by Prime Minister João Chagas, a power-hungry man who has worked his way up the system and destroyed it with each step he's taken. Ruthless in his pursuit for power, he has pulled numerous strings to become where he is. Over his course in the Portuguese government he has given more power to the Prime Minister and has now taken the position for himself. What he has done to get there is rather secretive and not many know of the atrocious acts he's made. But one man knew. De Castro is the leader of the opposition party to the coalition. His party holds 23% of the seats in the Parliament's upper house and 22% in the lower. His party alone is the largest and has prevented the UCD from having an absolute majority in Congress. His party is strictly anti-corruption and has worked tirelessly to expose the truth about the UCD and its policies. It is his suspicion that Chagas has taken bribes from robber barons, eliminated opposition, broke rules, and more in his time. Yet, there is no evidence. De Castro's pursuit for the truth is relentless and many know about it, especially his enemies.

With a plop he sat down in his office desk. There was a lot to go over for the day. He had to make sure his party was all in line and that the other liberal parties were as well. There was an important bill coming up on child labor laws and putting an end to these atrocious acts. It was his bill and he was going to see it pass. All it would take is some of the more moderate parties in the UCD to vote for it, but that was doubtful. Chagas controlled the coalition like an octopus, with his tentacles in every party. Almost ever leader was loyal to him and many were prompted by such. It was going to be a hard battle, but perhaps if ... "Senhor? You have a visitor sir," interrupted the secretary.
"I don't recall this being on the schedule. He'll have to wait."
"But senhor, it's Ivo Felix."
Ivo Felix is the Attorney General of the government. By the constitution, the AG is suppose to be unaffiliated with the party system, but that never happens. Felix is an independent in name, but is paid under the counter by Chagas to side with his conservative interests. He has fought many major cases that have come about during the period of industrialization, but all have been secret victories for the robber barons. All things considered, he's a kind hearted guy, but he's been corrupted too much. "Ah. Well let him in."

Felix entered with a handkerchief in hand, dabbing at the sweat on his brow. He was biting his lip and fumbling his hands. Between them held a brief case that had seen the court rooms many time. "Senhor de Castro. It's a pleasure to meet you, though not under these circumstances."
"And what circumstances are these Senhor Felix."
"I don't have much time. In fact I have none. I was never here for this meeting."
"Senhor--"
"--Please. Take this folder." Felix opened his brief case and handed de Castro a white style folder filled with paper and photos. "This folder will help you take down Chagas. You have to. It's my dying wish."
"Dying wish? I don't understand. Why are you dying? What's happening? Why me?"
"I know too much. I may work with Chagas, but that doesn't mean I like the man. I was following a trail for a case, and then there was some tampering. I got too involved and now Chagas knows I know too much. Take the folder. It's all I found. You'll need it if you want to see justice in this country."
De Castro thanked Felix and the AG promptly left. The folder was too tempting not to look at, and with this he handed off the bill work to his deputy and began pondering over the array of evidence. The proof he needed.

The flag of Portuguese Canton, a colony that controls the cities of Hong Kong and Macau.

February 28th | Hong Kong, Portugal

The Portuguese colony of Canton was obtained during the Opium War with the Mongols. It is coveted by Lisbon as a war prize from the horrible excursion, but it is still short of the desires of the Portuguese in Mongolia. The colony consists of two cities, that of Hong Kong and Maccau. Both of these have been highly developed by the Portuguese with entire cities built on the swampy entrances to the Chinese wealth. Portuguese Canton is the wealthiest of the European colonies in Mongolia. In fact, it's one of the wealthiest of the cities in the Far East due to it being a center of trade between the European nations and Mongolia. It lies at the mouth of the Pearl River and is quite near to the historic trade center of Guangzhou. The two cities are severely disconnected and ferrying is the main way of transporting between the two of them. It is an annoyance though for the Governor-General Francisco Torres and the Resident-Secretary Hu Xiadon.

Torres and Xiadon are the leaders of the the colony. Torres comes from Porto, Portugal and is an appointed leader by the Congresso. Xiadon is a local native from Hong Kong and was voted in by the Colonial Executive Council (CEC). Together the two operate as the Head of Secretary and Head of Government for the colony respectively. Xiadon is a rutheless businessman who has traveled the world as a Cantonese-Portuguese merchant. His counterpart, Torres, is an excellent politician and administer who has worked his way up through the corrupt Portuguese government. Creating significant contacts in Canton, he took over a segment of his brother's rail business and made the Cantonese Rail Company. With Xiadon's local experience, the two were a horribly perfect combination for running the government and for business partners.

"This plan will have to work. We need it to work. The CEC has already approved it. We just send the plan to the government in Guangdong and presto. No worries."
"You seem pretty confident about this Fransico. I do hope it works."
"It will Hu. My company is powerful and I highly doubt they will deny this plan. We are helping the city and helping the colony. The revenue gained between the increased trade will prove entirely beneficial. Our wealth, power, and influence will increase."
"I know. I agree. It'll help Guangzhou too. The city will be wealthier and the people happier. I do hope they realize this."

To: {The mayor of Guangzhou, governor of Guangdong}*
From: Governor-General Francisco Torres of Portuguese Canton and CEO of Cantonese Rail Company
Subject: Maccau-Guangzhou-Hong Kong Rail line

Greetings,

Today marks the first of many possible divergences in the traditions of Portugese-Mongolian relations. It is within my sincerest intentions that I deliver this message to you, esteemed officials of Guangzhou/Guangdong. With this message should be a plethora of gifts from across the Portuguese empire. Luxury items and gold from India, relics from Thailand, antiques from Africa, and more are enclosed with these gifts and we hope you consider these cordial offerings.

It is my desire to establish a rail line between the two cities of Portuguese Canton, Maccau and Hong Kong. As it stands now, ferrying is the only way to connect the two trading hubs. While do-able, and considerably fast, it is annoying and doesn't allow for further connections to the mainland of China. It is our intent that a rail line that would connect the cities would also pass through the urban center of Guangzhou. This construction would be completely funded and operated by the CRC with no expenses on the part of the local government. A sizeable share of the profits will be given to the local government that are developed in the rail line. This project would expand the current Portuguese-Mongolian trade by a significant amount. It would allow for both passengers and cargo to transported in and out of the cities and into Guangzhou. It would provide for an even distribution and growth of wealthy and prosperity between our two nations. This entire rail system will be built pro bono under the condition that my company will be able to manage and operate the entire rail line, which, considering the CRC's experience with it, is not much to ask. We will hire local workers in order to help stimulate the economy as well. It is our intent that this railroad would provide the best form of cooperation between our nations and working from the local level will create the greatest and most appropriately placed distribution of wealth.

I thank you for your time and hope you sincerely consider this offer.

~ Francisco Torres, Governor-General of Portugese Canton, CEO of Cantonese Rail Company

Post Summary:
- Serpa Pinto was awarded for exploring and 'claiming' everything between Angola and Mozambique.
- Portugal will start laying claim to this area.
- PM Joao Chagas is corrupt and leader of the opposition party, Adao de Castro, was given information by the Attorney General that's incriminating to the PM.
- Governor-General Francisco Torres of Portuguese Canton is planning on making a rail line between Maccau and Hong Kong that'll connect with Guangzhou to unite the region and make it more wealthy.
Last edited by Bujahla on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
*Huzzah he lives!*

Nah, son. Britain was all like "yo, why my colonies be all uppity an' shit?!" And Lord Durham laid it straight: "they be wantin' legislation with representation, dawg."

Never Forget / My Best IC Posts
Never Forget / My Longest Running Series
Never Forget / My Best RP

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am

United Kingdom of Bulgaria

Sofia, Bulgaria
January 1, 1881

As the celebrations that celebrated the end of 1880 were over, the King and his cabinet met in the Parliament building to discuss what their plan would be for the year. "Well, gentlemen, another year for Bulgaria and another year of peace. This policy has worked since the 600s, but we haven't made any progress territorially and we aren't relevant politically." "If I may say so myself, your majesty, we don't need to change anything. Our economy has prospered, the arts and culture have flourished, and nobody's invaded us for over a thousand years." "As military technology improves, Minister, I'm afraid that won't be the case," the King said. "If we can't keep up with the rest of the world then we'll get pummeled into the Great Powers' spheres of influence."

The room remained silent for a minute before the discussion resumed. "If we just maintain our current policy of neutrality, we won't have that problem!" "I can think of plenty of countries around us that could potentially invade us right now and take the nation within a month." Pointing to a map of the Black Sea and surrounding area, King Alexander specifically pointed at Crimea. "Although we hold a portion of the sea's coastline, whoever controls Crimea will be in a position to possibly control it." "But your majesty, the Nestorians control that area." "I know they do. We must expand our military to deal with potential threats to our sovereignty. Including our navy."

"Our navy is one of the largest in the Balkans, we should not waste money on useless endeavors like this, with all due respect." Looking sharply at the Minister who said that, Alexander responded. "If we plan on taking the Nestorians on in a war then we must expand the military. There is no other choice." "Your majesty, our military is already one of the most professional in the continent." "So is the Portuguese Army, Minister. And their army is made up of 170,000 men. We have less."

Suddenly, during the middle of their discussion, the Prime Minister joined in. "Forgive me for being so late, but I had governmental business to take care of." Sitting down, the PM listened to the King and the cabinet continue to argue about what to do until he jumped in. "Excuse me, but I suggest that we take a different approach to global politics instead of invading a powerful nation. Instead, I say we pursue colonial interests in Africa." Everybody except the PM laughed. "Africa?! You expect us, Bulgaria, to try and colonize Africa?! That's simply just a waste of time and funds that could be used effectively elsewhere, Prime Minister."

The arguing still continued and only ended 20 minutes later when everyone in the room agreed it was time to expand the military.
Last edited by Marsisian on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Erich von Manstein on June 9, 1973, edited 24 times in total

MGSV: The Phantom Pain hype! Game of the decade!

Neo-Assyrian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Assyrian Empire » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:23 pm

The Republic of Francia
Chapter One: Une Nouvelle Année

Paris, Francia
January 1er, 1880

As a new year comes, and the old one goes, it still seemed like Paris hadn't changed in decades. Well, that's at least what Président Louis Baptiste thought. On this cold winter morning, he stood in his office, looking through large windows over the city. He gazed out at the city, which almost appeared to work like clockwork. Every morning, at 8:00, the streets would come alive as people went to work or wherever they needed to be that morning. He blew a cloud of black smoke out of his mouth, clutching his cigar in his right hand.

"Mr. Baptiste" The president turned around to see one of the many aides of the Frankish government. Baptiste turned around to see the man held a small message.

"Merci beaucoup," replied the leader as he took the message. It had Dutch markings. He stuck the cigar in his mouth, tore open the envelope, and looked at the letter. He slowly nodded. "So the Dutch wish to be our allies? So be it."

To: The Foreign Ministry of the Netherlands

Salut!
Cordial relations between our two nations is something that I believe will be beneficial for both parties. I welcome a Dutch delegation with open arms, and will be happy to supply anything they should request.
~Louis Baptiste
Last edited by Neo-Assyrian Empire on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Account may or may not be alive or dead. We'll see what happens
General Information
<G> Is the national currency. <G> 1 = $1.6
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.31
Veni, Vidi, Vici
|[=-=X|X=-=]|
Currently RPing As
Nobody
;~;

|[=-=X|X=-=]|

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Military Coalition of the Andes
Coalizão Militar dos Andes

Lima, Special Military District: 17th of January in the Year of Our Lord 1880

"I wouldn't call this a crisis, General Serna." Lord Admiral de Avis frowned. "It simply means we need to... Shift some men around. I'm sure the Army Corps of Chaplains, the Medical and Surgical Corps or any other of the supporting corps will be happy to have more personnel."

"That still means we have less forces on the front lines of any conflict, and it opens a dangerous floodgate. What if other segments of the population decide they should be exempt from service, for whatever reason?" Serna slammed a fist onto the table. "We cannot take a step back from our policies."

"May I propose a compromise?" General Sanchez interrupted, quietly lighting a cigar as he did so. "We agree to their demands. Any members of the Church currently serving with the Armed Forces or in the reserve pool shall be listed solely for non-combat roles."

"But not their immediate families." Serna finished. "That reduces the issue, but it does not solve the manpower losses."

"We can shift some personnel from non-combat roles to second-line units, and then shift men from second-line units forwards." Sanchez replied. "If we still don't have enough manpower, then I suggest forming a Marine Corps from naval personnel to make up the difference." He turned de Avis. "Your opinion, Lord Admiral?"

"The populace may not be entirely satisfied, but I believe it will keep them placated. After all, this is the same populace our military defends and recruits from, is it not?" De Avis glanced around the room, gauging support from his fellow General's faces. "I see you agree with me on that. Very well. I will begin drafting up the law to be issued tomorrow."

Military-Church Relations Act of 1880

Following popular demand for the clergy to be granted immunity from the 3 years of national service and being called up in the reserve pool in combat roles, the Preservação Nacional Conselho has decided to pass the following Act to be enacted from the 5th of February 1880 until it is repealed, should that ever be deemed necessary.

1: Service of the Clergy within the Armed Forces
  • Any members of the Clergy currently in the reserve pool with a front-line unit shall be reassigned to a non-combat unit unless they request otherwise.
  • Any member of the Clergy currently undertaking their national service shall be placed into a non-combat reserve unit upon completing their national service, unless they request otherwise.
  • Any members of the Clergy currently performing their national service shall be reassigned to a non-combat unit for the remainder of their national service unless they request otherwise.

2: Members of the Clergy and National Service
  • Members of the Clergy will still have to perform the same 3 years of national service.
  • Members of the Clergy will be placed with a non-combat unit whilst performing their national service unless they request otherwise.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Amsterdam, Holland, Kingdom of the United Provinces and Belgium

Chapter 1: The Winds of Change
4th of March, the Year of our Lord, 1881

It was a tragic day for the people of the Netherlands. On May the 4th, 1881, King Willem III died at the age of 89. After ruling the Netherlands for 66 years, the old king's heart gave out. He died quietly in his bed, alone and at peace. Willem was a celebrated monarch, loved by his people for his reforms and leadership. He was crowned the King of the United Provinces and Belgium in 1815, right after the Napoleonic Wars. Willem lead the country through many hardships, such as the Famine of 1820, and the Rotterdam Fire of 1832. He say the first industrial revolution within the country, and presided over an extensive period of growth and expansion. He created the Liberal Coalition in 1870, and guided them along, helping shape policy and reform the country's healthcare and pension systems. Despite all of this he also pushed for the demilitarization of the Empire, and his interventionist policies harmed the economy. That being the case, he would be missed by all, liberal or conservative.

Prime Minister Haak de Klerk gave a speech at Parliament, speaking on behalf of all the parties. "Today, King Willem II passed away, peacefully in his bed. It is a tragedy for this nation. Willem was a celebrated monarch, loved by his people. He earned the respect of his adversaries and reformed the nation's decaying social programs. Willem was a brave man, honourable and true to his word. His leadership united a country that was torn after the Napoleonic Wars, and helped forge our new identity. Whether he was a liberal, a socialist, or a conservative, his people respected him for his diligence and the humility he brought to us. We only hope that his successor can live up to his legacy. Long Live the King!" The rest of Parliament rose and shouted, "Long Live the King!" Despite this face of sorrow, many of the liberals were worried now. The King was dead, and his conservative successor, a committed conservative and imperialist, was keen on supporting the conservative parties in the coming election. Not only that, but the Progressives were further drawn away from the coalition with the King's death, and the Socialists wanted to form a new alliance with the Republicans. The King would be missed, and his death had just sparked a political crisis.

His Majesty King Willem II, circa 1849
Last edited by Valentir on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 pm

The Dual Kingdom of Catalonia and Naples

El Dual Regne de Catalunya i Nàpols

An Earthquake not Just in Name
Barcelona, Catalonia| March 5 (I think not super sure on the date now???) 1881 Anno Domini

"We must send aid to the Albanians at once! It is what God would want!" a prominent deputy from the Christian Democrats shouted on the floor of the Chamber of Deputies.

"What God wants is right, I do not disagree with you, Santiago. But the fact of the matter is this is no place for the government to waste its money! We must seek investment from private individuals and industries to rebuild Albania. Unless the land is directly owned by our government, we have no business rebuilding the structures that sit on it!" a Liberal deputy shouted back.

It was the one issue both sides could not see eye to eye on. While both supported a free market approach to economics, humanitarian issues were handled differently. The Christian Democrats believed the government of the Dual Kingdom should pay to rebuild Albania in light of the recent earthquake that shattered the island of Corfu and largely devastated southern Albania, which was part of the Region of Naples. The debate now rocked the Chamber of Deputies, and was expected to have a similar affect on the Senate. As the men continued to bicker on the floor, the Prime Minister sat and listened. He knew this was an opportunity to bring investments into the Dual Kingdom, and not use government funds that would be needed in order to enact his intended policy for North Africa.

He stood up, and quickly the room fell silent. "Gentlemen." he said with a booming tone. "The recent events in Albania are truly horrific, and have brought great harm and distress to our Albanian brothers and sisters. It is not right for us to sit here idly and waste precious time that could be used to bring relief to Albania. However, it is not our government that should bring relief. Rather, we should advocate for aid from private individuals and institutions. I am going to personally petition the King and ask him to request aid from His Holiness and the Church in order to rebuild ecclesiastical properties and provide shelter and good for the poor. I will also be sending a letter to the world asking for investment to rebuild Albania. Our government will be repairing the infrastructure and buildings we own, and will act as a middleman for any Albanian who needs the financing to recover from this terrible event. Now, is that agreeable, gentleman?"

The Christian Democrats were now split on the issue. Some felt the government needed to do more, but others believed that the Prime Minister's position was the best option for the Dual Kingdom. The Conservatives were opposed to the measure, largely because they were opposed to anything the Liberals proposed. A motion was made and a vote taken, the government was now the middleman between the Albanian people and those who wish to aid them. The motion was also passed in the Senate, formally declaring the governments position.

Vlorë, Albania | March 6 (I dunno tbh) 1881 Anno Domini

Albania was an autonomous sub-region of Naples. It was one of the Dual Kingdom's latest additions and was incorporated in order to ensure the Greeks would not be able to control the land crucial to the entry of the Adriatic Sea. Much of the southern half of the region was left devastated by the earthquake, which flattened more than half of the city of Vlorë and left even more of the city next to useless. Most of the cities population was killed in the earthquake and the rest was left homeless. This was the case everywhere in southern Albania, as cities, towns, and villages alike were all crushed by the devastating earthquake.

In order to ensure stability in the region, the Prime Minister mobilized the Royal Army of Naples and the Royal Army of Romagna. He ordered them to begin pouring into Albania in order to secure the border with Greece and ensure that stability continued to exist. 15,000 men from the Royal Army of Naples were in the initial wave heading for Albania, and 7,500 men from the Royal Army of Romagna were also given orders to board the transports and sail for Albania. The navy was also ordered to patrol Albania's coastline.

As the armies arrived, tent cities popped up across the empty Albanian fields. The High Command was established outside Vlorë to oversee the entire operation. The borders were also flooded with Catalan soldiers, sending a clear and strong message to the government of Greece. Soldiers were also on call from the Royal Catalan Army and the Royal Army of the Isles, along with those who remained in Naples and Romagna. Many were surprised, as it did not look like the nation was running a relief effort, but was instead preparing for war.

AN OPEN LETTER FROM THE DUAL KINGDOM
To all civilized nations and investors of the world.

Recently, an earthquake on the Greek Island of Corfu devastated much of Southern Albania. Industry, infrastructure, homes, business, and churches were all flattened alike, utterly shattering much of the region. It is for that reason that I write to you today. On behalf of my Albanian brothers and sisters, who are slowly trying to recover, I ask you to invest in Albania and the Dual Kingdom. The return of industry to the region will aid in the process of rebuilding lives, shattered by an earthquake that the Albanians had no control over.

I implore that you consider my request, as it would be an act of kindness commendable by God himself should you aid my Albanian brothers and sisters rebuild their lives.

Thank you, and my God bless you.

TO HIS HOLINESS POPE INNOCENT XIV
From the King Ferdinand IV of the Dual Kingdom

Dearest Holy Father,

I am sure you are well aware of the recent earthquake that has devastated the Albanian region. Thousands are dead, and many more are without a roof over their own head. Many can no longer provide for their family, as their places of work were flattened by this horrific earthquake.

I must ask you, dear Holy Father, to allocate some funds to help us rebuild Albania. Should the churches that were devastated by this earthquake return, my Albanian brothers and sisters will be able to worship our Lord and find a moment of comfort in what has been an utter tragedy.

Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 pm

The Confederate States of America

Richmond, Virginia
January 1st, 1881

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the Confederate States." The ballroom opened into a rolling applause as President Hampton and his wife Mary entered. It was the New Year's Ball, a gathering of the political elite in Richmond for general jibber-jabber. The women showed up to gossip about the other women, and the men showed up to gossip about the other men. It was a typical high-brow community gathering, except these were the powers that be. Their headmaster was President Wade Hampton III, a South Carolinian who had risen to fame as commander of Lee's cavalry in the Revolution and, afterwards, commanded the Army and served one term as a senator.

Wade and his wife made their way through the crowd, shaking hands and making nice with the governors and senators and generals and judges that he had selectively invited. Indeed, to be in this ball was to be in Hampton's personal favorite circle. To not be wither meant you were in the opposition, or you were green, new in leadership. Eventually, the two Hamptons stopped in the presence of Wade's friend, Alabama governor Rufus Cobb and his wife.

"Mr. President," Cobb began, "it is so nice to see you again. I give you my sincerest congratulations for your reelection."

"And I yours, Mr. Cobb," Hampton replied. "It seems as though this nation can still find some good for two old stalwarts like you and I. How goes things in the great state of Alabama?"

"Quite well, I've just consolidated the railroad overseers into a state corporation, and we've been on a steady surplus for some time. Oh, Mr. Hampton, where is the Vice President? He usually arrives before you."

"Mr. Wood has taken the Secretary of the Navy to Norfolk to organize a report he has commissioned on the state of the Norfolk Naval Yard. It's a pity, that man has buried himself in government work ever since Mrs. Wood passed."

"I feel he is guilty, spending so much time away from Lola. First, spending his youth at sea, sometimes all the way in Africa, then serving as a politician? I'm certain the poor woman died from a lonely heart more than the measles."

"Indeed. The man has been in mourning for nearly two years. His heart is broken, the poor lamb, but he finds his way. Perhaps his son's graduation from the Virginia Military Institute this coming June will bring some light to him. It'd be quite a joy to see young Zachary rouse his men into battle, much like his great-grandfather," Hampton stated. The two and their wives continued their chattered for some time, danced with each other, and then went home. Mary went to bed. Wade slept with his mistress. It was a Gilded Age.

February 4, 1881
Richmond, VA

Everyone gathered today. Whereas the New Year's Ball was a time for the upper class to celebrate and revel, today was a day for a common, mournful reflection. It was the twentieth anniversary of the declaration of the Confederacy, and the twentieth anniversary to the beginning of the costly war that gave this great nation its independence from tyranny and favoritism. It was Independence Day.

The main gathering was at the Civil War Unknowns Monument, located near Arlington House, where President Lee had 2,000 Unknown Remains buried. President Hampton, who operated as Commander-in-Chief and also as a veteran of the war, wore his officer dress and a red sash. He placed a single red carnation in front of the monument, signifying the blood shed. At exactly noon, all forts and batteries in the nation, including one that accompanied the President to Arlington that day, performed a national salute of 13 guns signifying the 13 states of the Confederacy. Silence was held for one minute, before Hampton turned to the crowd to give his speech.

"Twenty years ago today, this nation was came into existence. Born in blood, it was conceived in liberty, in the ideals of righteousness and freedom. Today, we celebrate its birthday. Perhaps it is ironic that the commemoration of our triumph is made today across the Potomac from those we called brother, and still do, though they wish us abandoned and orphaned. We must look upon those who, twenty years ago and twenty years ahead, wage the ultimate sacrifice for our cause, and see that they encourage us and embolden us with the responsibility of carrying this nation on for their children and ours. We must look to those who gamble their fate so honorably with respect and admiration, and assure that the dead today did not die in vain. We must see that this nation, so very much in the hands of the People, remains on this earth, forever and always. God save the Confederacy."

Excerpt from Frederick Douglass' A Negro in the Confederacy

"And so I stayed in Nashville for some time in the company of a scholar at Fisk University, lecturing on African-American relations. I had found the condition of the many Negroes quite different than the few who lived in Quebec or London. As a highly educated man, I was exempted from much of the segregation of the colored and the white, so long as a politician was around. On every street in Nashville is a water pump, one labelled "Colored" and one "White Only." I talked to the city's commissioner, who revealed that the water had come from the same place, but the "Colored" pumps were 20 years old at their youngest and serviced once a month, when the "White" pumps were five years old at their oldest and saw cleaning twice a week.
As I walked the streets, often with a representative of the Governor of Tennessee, I came to witness another disgusting phenomenon. I came across a shoe shining stand and took a seat, watching the ambitious young Negro child scrub away at my shoe, with some sense of admiration. Whether it was for his job or for me I knew not, but I digress. His friend, another colored boy, worked a few feet away on a "Whites Only" scrubbing seat. I was there a considerable while, as my man had gone inside a post office to manage correspondence and my shoes were dusty from a long walk. Many of the whites wanted a superficial scrub up to impress the gentlemen of the town. I can tell you, out of perhaps four customers, not a single one called him by his name. It was a sight I soon saw all across the city. It is more likely that a black man's first name here is "Nigra," his last name "boy," no matter his age, and only his middle name his own. I feared being called "Nigra Frederick," during my stay..."

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:18 pm

State of the Ryukyu

...In that three hour meeting in that refined, wealthy and excellently crafted pagoda on the hill that barely measured 50 feet and 300 feet across... things had been discussed, like the constitution...

Section I-A

This is a binding legal document that signifies of the rights, privileges and responsibilities of the Ryukyuan people, nation and spirit. This document will attempt to provide a steady basis and clear up the confusion regarding citizens and their rights in the Republic and areas under Ryukyuan control. Furthermore, this document can be amended at any point from here until the day of this World's demise in case of major changes in the future that render this document invalid or partially so. Any citizen who proposes a change to the Ryukyuan Constitution must present a case with clear advantages over the original form of the Constitution.

Section I-B

The official religion of the State of the Ryukyu is Ryukyuan Animism - it has legal protection afforded to no other group within the Ryukyu Islands. In return, Priests are obliged to set up schools that teach the faith in its truest form and teach said students of that school a basic standard of education in regards to writing and reading. Planning from the Government is required if a person wishes to build, renovate or demolish a temple found within the borders of the nation. Punishments for not doing so include hard labour, a fine of 600 Ryukyuan Rubles (200$) or imprisonment for three months.

However, the citizenry are free to pursue any religion that captivates their attention and do not have to worship the gods' of the Ryukyu if they do not feel it necessary. To build a foreign religious institute on Ryukyuan soil requires an official vote from the population of the nation. The Priests of these institutions must hold Ryukyuan citizenship and be free of criminalities and inhibiting factors. Failure to be of these and be a Priest incurs a fine of 60 Ryukyuan Rubles. (20$) Missionaries from foreign nations must also inform the immigration authorities of their arrival.

Section I-C

People who aren't Ryukyuan citizens but desire it, may immigrate if they meet several requirements. These include, but aren't limited to, being free of criminal influences, are educated and hold a degree from a valid education establishment and being mentally and physically sound. All requests are officially handled by the Ministry of Immigration and Emigration, whose decisions on the matter are final. Failure to enforce this law properly will cause an official around 3 years of hard labour or imprisonment and a further 600 Ryukyuan Ruble fine.

Ryukyuan Diaspora, those married to a Ryukyuan or those who have lived legally within the Ryukyuan borders for five years and have spent less than 90 days out of it will automatically receive full citizenship. This can be revoked if a person wishes, which'll cause the lose of privileges and rights afforded to that person also. If a citizen wishes to regain it, they may apply through correspondence sent to the Ministry of Immigration and Emigration's Headquarters at 6 Shinobi Avenue, Naha, Okinawa, State of the Ryukyu. Then said person will be put through the same checks as non-Ryukyuans seeking to immigrate.

Section II-A

Anyone born within the borders of Ryukyu, to at least one parent with Ryukyuan blood has the right to Ryukyuan citizenship. This may be acquired with no detrimental affects if they have a second nationality. Parents can apply for their offspring to not receive Ryukyuan citizenship if they do not wish it or from a nation which doesn't recognise Ryukyu/refuse dual nationality. However, once said offspring reaches the age of majority in whatever state they reside, they'll receive a piece of correspondence that allows them to say in their own words whether they'd like to be recognised and receive Ryukyuan citizenship.

If they agree, they'll receive a ticket for a voyage to the Ryukyu Islands and basic materials about the Ryukyuan nation, language and a map. They'll also receive a 1,500 Ryukyuan Ruble cheque (500$) which will be deposited in a bank account when they choose to open it. In addition, they'll receive an identity card with their name, nationality(s), photo and age. Finally, they receive instructions to head to one of the many dojos that teaches the Ryukyuan language, in an attempt to allow them to integrate faster.

Section II-B

All citizens are entitled to free education until the age of 17 in any state school or religious school. These schools must protect the children and nurture them until old enough to function within society, teachers are forbidden to beat pupils, but may strike them once if pupils disrespect the rules of the school. The school must also be respective of said pupil's religion, gender, age, or nationality or face sanctions from the education board. Schools must also provide at least two hours of exercise a week, in order to avoid damaging their pupil's health. Teacher's salaries are stuck at a minimum of 60 Ryukyuan Rubles (20$) a month, with their payment at the discretion of the school. Teachers may complain anonymously about their school through the education board

Citizenry are also entitled to free healthcare, in any valid state run hospital. The National Medical Board assesses doctors on training and cleanliness, along with practical knowledge. Any doctor who fails twice is banned from the profession and may not reapply for a period of five years, and they must also attend a state run medical school. Doctor's wages are set at a minimum of 60 Ryukyuan Rubles (20$) a month. But any pay above this is at the discretion of the hospital, doctors may complain about their hospital by sending an anonymous request to the Nation Medical Board.

Section II-C

All male citizens are liable to be conscripted into the military reserve's upon their eighteenth birthday, and be liable to be called upon by the government in the event of war. Citizens may be exempted if they suffer from a medical condition, are of poor mental or physical character, ot have a criminal record. They can also request exemption if they are going to begin a university or higher educational degree which'll be cut short because of their conscription. Female citizens can enlist as nurses, suppliers, or engineers in the military units for eighteen months. Male citizens have to serve two years in the military.

Citizenry who are in the clergy, doctors, teachers and police or fire departments are exempted if they choose to be so. However, doctors of excellent skill, along with teachers can only serve in non-combat units. All conscripts are paid 15 Ryukyuan Rubles ($5) a month, citizens who joined as regulars receive 30 Ryukyuan Rubles a month. Soldiers will live in the Barracks and can request leave if any of their relatives are killed, maimed or wounded. National Holidays are leave days in the military.

Section III-A

All Ryukyuan citizens may own and use any weapons that they can afford to upkeep, a special tax on these weapons will be applied every year during tax collection season. They're permitted to shoot any intruders that enter their properties with the intent to harm, if not then they'll face beheading for murder. Citizenry are also prevented from carrying their weapons in public, except with the exception of hunting or transporting. Any citizenry who disregards this rule with receive a fine of 30 Ryukyuan Rubles.

Citizenry can buy weaponry from either the Ryukyu Islands or foreign nations that are further afield. Tariffs on these imported goods remain the same as all other items however, along ammunition that citizenry will require for their weapons. Failure to declare that weapons that a citizen owns were imported will lead to a fine of 60 Ryukyuan Rubles for each undeclared weapon and a year of hard labour. Furthermore wounding or killing a fellow citizen, police officer, firefighter, doctor, nurse, teacher and soldier will lead to execution.

Section III-B

A citizen must declare if they open a business that they've opened it. They must also declare when they're purchasing foreign goods and how much money they've earned throughout the year. Then a suitable amount will then be taxed and used on education, maintaining public areas and other such things. Citizens must also require government officials to check their business if they decide to build a headquarters for it, and whether any materials will be imported. Failure to do so will cause a person to receive a fine of 90 Ryukyuan Rubles. (30$)

Some areas of imports aren't taxed such as medicines, government-acquired weaponry and crop fertiliser. That said, these and other non taxed areas aren't open to the public for exploitation and commercial opportunities. Any citizen who attempts to abuse this law will receive a sentence of six months of hard labour. They may also receive a fine of around 90 Ryukyuan Rubles, a second offence will cause a person to receive around a three year prison sentence.

Section III-C

It is forbidden to discriminate against citizenry based on age, sex, ethnicity, nationality or religion. Anyone found guilty of doing so will receive a fine of 30 Ryukyuan Rubles, or a month of hard labour. This law cannot be repealed even if the populace desire it, because of its relative importance in preventing sectarian, ethnic or other forms of violence and conflict throughout the nation. Furthermore, if any person or organisation attempts to create a group that would advance the cause of these, then they shall face three years of hard labour.

It is also forbidden to attempt to segregate the populace, and any local government that attempts this will be impeached. The members of said government will also be prevented from standing for elections for another five years after these events. No appeals will be accepted by the courts and will be ruled as invalid if a court attempts to bypass the rules set out in this specific section of the Ryukyuan Constitution and it's resulting principles and phrases.

Section IV-A

The Official Language of the Ryukyuan State is the Okinawan language - itself one of the many Ryukyuan Languages. This language shall be taught in schools across the nation, and it will be wrote using the Hiragana script, the other Ryukyuan languages and Japanese language shall have protected status in this constitution. Said languages can be used, taught, wrote in schools, etc if they wish with no repercussions. Impeding a person's usage of their native language, or any Ryukyuan language or the Japanese language will fall under the discrimination section of the constitution.

Private schools are exempt from the curriculum and may teach any language and use it as the means of instruction. However, Okinawan is still a legal requirement, even if the rest of the constitution doesn't apply. Adding another language to the Constitution will require at least 25% of the populace speak it and write using its alphabet before a vote can be carried out and utilised. Before this, no vote can take this, as it would be a futile and pointless waste of time to organise such a vote.

Section IV-B

Diplomatic Relations with foreign nations are permitted, but the Ryukyuan nation officially takes no part in conflicts that don't directly threaten itself. Diplomats and foreign nationals aren't immune to the law of the land, and will be arrested and charged if suspected of any crime. The full punishment for their crime, irrespective of nationality will be carried out as if it is a Ryukyuan national who committed said crime. Failure to respect such laws will result in thr severance of ties with the offending nation.

If a foreign national is proven innocent, they will receive an official letter of apology and compensation for the time spent in the nation. Said foreign national will then be released, and the compensation and apology given, unless it is suspected they know who committed the original crime they were accused for. They will be questioned by Ryukyuan Police, and then kept in lodgings in Naha, under police guard if considered in danger. Foreign nations cannot intervene in the constitution of the nation.

Section IV-C

The importation of opium, or other narcotics will result in the execution of any suppliers that are within the Ryukyu Islands. Opium and other drugs are also illegal and anyone with knowledge of the suppliers will be taken into police custody, where they'll be questioned and photographed and have a police record filled in. Any foreigners who export opium will face execution along with the ones they are selling the drugs to and in turn are distributing it to the unfortunate addicts of the drug. This law is to combat the dangerous levels of opium that threaten the Ryukyuan borders and people within.

Alcohol is legal within the settlements, however, public drunkenness is a crime. The crime will be punished with a fine and a notice to all settlements that contain an alcohol-serving service that said person is to be refused any alcohol for a period set by a court judge. This time can range from one week to around three months depending on the severity of the crime and amount of times that the person has previously been drunken in public. Citizens may also buy alcohol licenses to allow them to consume alcohol in their own homes.

Section V-A

Owing to diverse culture and traditions of the Ryukyu Islands, the constitution hereby declares that the National Sport of the nation is Okinawan Kempo. This is seen as fitting because the majority of the populace live on Okinawa Island, however, it has only the status of national sport and no legal protections or advantages over the other varieties. In addition, any school, dojo or other place of learning can teach any Ryukyuan Martial art without repercussions. However, every year a national competition to find the best practitioners of Okinawan Kempo shall be held in Naha. Citizens with criminal records will be forbidden from learning the martial arts at any dojo, school or other place of learning.

It is up to the discretion of the teacher whether a student may learn to handle the weapons that can be used with each martial art, exceptional teachers will receive these weapons for free from the respective Governmental ministry. The price of the weapons is at a minimum at 15 Ryukyuan Rubles (5$) and it can be raised depending on the seller of such weapons, more importantly, the seller must hold a valid permit to sell such weapons and must be background checked. Selling these weapons without permits will result in three months of hard labour. Further more, a permit can be applied for from Naha, and a person must have sufficient knowledge of the weapons to receive one.

Section V-B

The Citizenry are allowed to form militias in defence of their property, rights or the nation. Said militias must individually contain less than 500 people. Furthermore, the military cannot breakup said militias, and any attempt to do so will result in these militias being given a free hand to remove the military's leaders. Militias must wear uniforms with a dark shade of grey mixed with light brown to distinguish them as Ryukyuan militias and not foreign soldiers. However, they're allowed to distinguish themselves with an emblem that must be less than 4 cm across and 4 cm wide. Said emblem can be worn on the sleeve and tunic area of the uniform.

The Militias however must work with Police units to catch criminals that have attacked their property, apprehend criminals within the militia's structure and cannot abscond from these responsibilities. The militias must be unpaid, but can be formed and kept all year round, on the condition that they train, assist in building works and fight any foreign invasion of the state. More importantly, women and men can both join militias, with no repercussions for either citizen grouping. Failure to respect this will result in a 30 Ryukyuan Ruble fine.

Section V-C

The Nation of the Ryukyu peoples cannot be turned into a vassal by any plebiscite by the people. No matter the vote's turnout or result, it can only turned into a vassal if forcibly coerced by a foreign nation. Said foreign nation will have to ensure that the Ryukyuan customs are preserved or face revolts from within the territories commanded by the constitution. This constitution can be printed for educational purposes and in satirical parody, as while it is important, it is not a sacred deity that deserves reverence. Citizens can oppose this view, but they cannot force it upon other citizens of the nation.

The Constitution also calls upon the military to prevent laws that would violate said constitution to protect any and all parts of it. Regardless of opinion or political view upon it. If any member of the military violates this, they shall be dishonourably discharged and face a military court for disregarding the military's role in the constitution and protection of it. They can appeal to the Supreme Court of the nation if they are acquitted or found not guilty.

Section VI-A

The State of Ryukyu's maritime borders extend for fifteen miles from the coastline in all directions, no foreign fishing vessels shall be permitted to fish within the area and will be towed back to Naha if found. However, nations with a history of good relations with the state can apply for a fishing permit which'll prevent their ships being towed back to port. Ryukyuan owned fishing vessels can fish freely within the waters of the area for a period of seven months of the year; for the remaining five months they must let the fishing stocks repopulate. Any ships attempting to fish during this time will be towed back to a port and the crew arrested.

Inside these fifteen miles of sea is Ryukyu's jurisdiction, and thus the Ryukyuan nation will attempt to apprehend any escaping criminals and if from a foreign nation - return them. The Ryukyuan nation won't give precedence to any nation's criminals and will capture and return or execute them as it wishes. Foreign nations have no power to prevent this and if an attempt is made to, then diplomatic relations with the offending nation will be severed until a later period of time. The Ryukyuan nation may choose who it executes with impunity.

Section VI-B

Telegraph operators and companies have a duty to report any criminal activities or potential subversive activities to the Government. They will be permitted to anonymously report as to avoid any potential assassins or attacks against their family or property. Attacks on the nation's telegraph infrastructure will be met with two and half years of hard labour and a 150 Ryukyuan Ruble (50$) fine. Telegraph operators are forbidden from divulging the content of the telegrams entrusted for them to send.

Foreign telegraph companies may request for themselves to build telegraph lines on the Ryukyu Islands if they believe it'll bring benefits to the nation. It is a similar procedure for any Ryukyuan telegraph companies that may wish to expand the use of such technology outside of Naha, where it is prevalent within the city. Although the telegraph allows quick messages to be communicated, the government officially has no laws against citizens using codes except when these codes may appear to subversive in nature. Police Officers and code-checkers have a responsibility to make sure the codes being sent aren't subversive.

Section VI-C

In times of war or extreme instability, to the Council has the right to remove the populace's voting privileges and remove control of the military from the citizenry. It can also implement martial law if it is believed that a citizen militia has become hostile towards the Ryukyuan State and people. Only once the threat has been defeated or abandoned creating the threat that is causing martial law will the Council return powers to the civilian populace. The Council reserves the rights to not return the powers if they believe the citizenry would use these negligently.

At any time, the individual islands of the Ryukyu Islands may break away from the nation with no repercussions. However, troops will be sent in if it is considered that the Islands are in danger of severe internal threats from their governments. The Ryukyuan State reserves the rights to prevent a breakaway if it is considered to be detrimental to the living standards of the citizens of the nation. This clause cannot be modified or removed from the Constitution unless a newer one is written and utilised by the citizenry.

Section VII-A

All citizens and humans that find themselves upon the Ryukyu Islands, accident or not are entitled to a collective system of rights and privileges that directly correspond to their personal wellbeing. These can't be taken from them at any point, and any attempts to do so will result in the impeaching of the appropriate government officials. All citizens and non citizens have the right to food, an integral chain in human survival which shall not be denied to any citizen. They also have the rights to shelter, healthcare and protection from abuse by any powers that be. No citizen of the Ryukyu nation will be tortured on lands guarded by the Ryukyuan flag or who hold diplomatic relations with the State.

Protection from religion as well as the freedom to embrace it are core tenets of the rights and privileges of the Ryukyuan people. A citizen or permanent resident cannot be forced to believe in the Okinawan Gods or any of the foreign religions that have been recently introduced to the populace. A citizen also has the right to a fair and untouched trial in a court of law; a trial isn't legally valid unless it is fair and free from the demonic hands of the corrupt. At any time, if any of these rights cannot be met, then the citizenry and permanent residents are permitted to head to any of the centres that'll protect them.

Section VII-B

All citizens are to receive travel documents that state themselves to be Ryukyuan citizens if they need to travel outside the nation. These documents are legally recognised by the Supreme Court of the nation and are to be treated as such. In the unfortunate event that being recognised as a Ryukyuan Citizen is a detrimental factor to a citizen's survival, than they can request from the Government that they receive a travel pass stating they are stateless citizenry and hold no citizenship. This will then be issued accordingly.

Further more, diplomats and officials will receive special travel documents that state their diplomatic position within the Government. These passports are also issued by the Ryukyuan Supreme Court and cannot be sold or tampered with. People who do so face around a year of hard labour and may face a further year of imprisonment depending on the severity of it and whether it impeded the diplomat in any way. Refusal to abide by this from other nations will result in the severance of diplomatic ties.

Section VII-C

A citizen in trouble in a foreign nation can expect limited help from the Consulate that the Ryukyu State operates out of. It will try as hard as it can to remove a person from the prisons or cells, but will only do so once informed of the charges and their severity. Expect little assistance if a citizen is discovered to have smuggled or attempted to smuggle opium or other such narcotics through another nation's borders. Of course, the State will provide a lawyer for the citizen and will try and make their stay in prison as comfortable as possible.

Any expenses will be partially subsidised by the State, with the person in prison paying half of the charges for the lawyer and any additional costs. However, a citizen can request help from any of the major banks if they need it. To receive this help, the person's past history with the banks must be checked and verified for any damages and outstanding debts. A person's family can also assist if they have the means, or they can attempt to fundraise the money through several means such as building public works etc.

Section VIII-A

All unemployed citizens and permanent residents that currently reside in the Ryukyu Islands are entitled to benefits should they find themselves unemployed, sick or elderly. These benefits will roughly translate to around 45 Ryukyuan Rubles (15$) a month and are intended to cover the costs of food, shelter and clothing for each citizen. Benefits can be applied for from the local government of a citizen's town, then they will be assessed, have a medical record filled and a questionnaire filled on their reasons. Lying about reasoning can cause a citizen to receive six months of hard labour.

These benefits aren't tax deductible and last until a person is declared fit to work, can find work or dies. When they die their immediate relatives are to be informed and they will receive any benefits that were stored by the deceased. These benefits still aren't tax deductible and can be spent as the person wishes. Any local government that implies these benefits are tax deductible is lying.

Section VIII-B

Citizenry who can speak a language that originates from a Great Power will receive increased payment in their professions and may be requested to take a more appropriate career. They may receive up to 300 Ryukyuan Rubles a month if they can speak three languages and will receive extra retirement benefits from the government once they retire. Citizenry that have these skills are in high demand with the government and are encouraged to set up language schools to further the number of citizenry who can speak these languages. The teachers at this school will receive a monetary reward for every student who can speak these languages fluently.

Schools like this will be subsidised by the government, with the government completely financing the most successful schools and dojos. Further more, the teachers will receive an invitation to Naha to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of their career. Their relatives will also be cared for and left in good condition, and any monetary costs that were needed to reach the capital will be refunded by the government. Finally, any non-citizen who wishes to immigrate will be far more likely if they can speak one of these languages.

Section VIII-C

Buildings in Naha must be made from stone that is of good condition and not prone to breakages. This is to reduce the risk of fires and prevent some damage from typhoons that may end up striking the Ryukyu Islands. The buildings may not exceed three stories in height unless it is a historical location that was created before the formation of the Ryukyu Nation. All citizens also require a building permit for the land they're building on, and will be charged with a crime if they do not request one and build anyway.

In other villages, it is preferential that the buildings be made from stone, but the government understands that these materials may be hard to acquire. Thus, they permit making houses out of wood of any kind, it doesn't matter. However, it must be of good condition and be proven to have come from a tree of reasonable strength. Citizenry still require a building permit for these structures, and may request one from their local government office. Failure to request one, like in the capital is a crime.
Last edited by The Emerald Dragon on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse