NATION

PASSWORD

Another mass kidnapping by Boko Haram

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Another mass kidnapping by Boko Haram

Postby Benuty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am

Boko Haram unrest: Nigerian militants 'kidnap 200 villagers'

Militants have stormed a remote village in north-eastern Nigeria, killing at least 33 people and kidnapping about 200, a survivor has told the BBC.

He said that suspected Boko Haram militants had seized young men, women and children from Gumsuri village.

The attack happened on Sunday but news has only just emerged, after survivors reached the city of Maiduguri.

Meanwhile, Cameroon's army says it has killed 116 Nigerian militants who had attacked one of its bases, AFP reports.

“After killing our youths, the insurgents have taken away our wives and daughters”

The state of Borno has seen at least two militant attacks over the past few days.

Residents told the BBC that armed militants attacked the border town of Amchide on Wednesday, arriving in two vehicles with many others on foot.

They raided the market area, setting fire to shops and more than 50 houses.

No group has said it carried out either attack but officials have blamed Boko Haram militants.

More than 2,000 people have been killed in militant violence this year alone, mostly in north-eastern Nigeria, near the border with Cameroon.

Analysis: Will Ross, BBC News, Lagos
This is yet another abduction on a staggering scale - one of the worst since the Chibok girls were seized in April.

It might seem surprising that it has taken four days for news of the killings and abductions to break.

That points to just how dangerous that area of north-east Nigeria still is despite promises of a massive military deployment there.

Gumsuri is about 70km (43 miles) from Maiduguri, the state capital, but survivors had to travel hundreds of kilometres via a circuitous route to avoid areas overrun with jihadists in order to reach the city and alert people to the horrors they had witnessed.

The vigilantes in the same village had reportedly fought off Boko Haram before but this time they were overpowered.

There has been no word from the military or the government and you have to wonder whether in any other country in the world such a horrific event could take place without a single word from the authorities.

The villagers who were kidnapped on Sunday were from Gumsuri, not Bintiri, as was earlier reported by the BBC.

The survivor of the Gumsuri attack said that he returned to the village and helped bury 33 bodies after the violence.

He said he went from house-to-house to ascertain how many people were missing.

While initial reports put the number of kidnapped at 100, it was actually double that, the survivor said.

His testimony was confirmed to BBC Hausa by a local official. Neither person wanted their names published.

Meanwhile, Reuters and AFP news agencies quoted residents as saying that at least 185 people had been abducted.

'Wives and daughters' taken
A vigilante group that had protected the village from previous attacks was overpowered by the militants, AFP reported.

"After killing our youths, the insurgents have taken away our wives and daughters," a resident who fled to Maiduguri was quoted as saying.

In Cameroon, the army said vehicles from its elite battalion had been caught in an ambush on Wednesday.

"At the same time... the Amchide military base was attacked by hundreds of fighters from the sect, but the response from our defence forces was instant and appropriate," the army said, according to AFP.

One Cameroonian soldier was killed and an officer is missing, it added.

Who are Boko Haram?

1)Founded in 2002
2)Initially focused on opposing Western education - Boko Haram means "Western education is forbidden" in the Hausa language
3)Launched military operations in 2009 to create an Islamic state
4)Thousands killed, mostly in north-eastern Nigeria - also attacked police and UN headquarters in the capital, Abuja
5)Some three million people are affected
6)Declared a terrorist group by the US in 2013

Death penalty
On Wednesday a Nigerian court martial handed down death sentences to 54 soldiers who had refused to take part in an operation last August to recapture three towns overrun by the militants.

The soldiers, who were found guilty of mutiny, had complained that they did not have the weapons needed to take on the jihadists.

The soldiers appeared before a court martial in Abuja
Boko Haram has been waging an insurgency since 2009 and is seeking to create an Islamic state in north-eastern Nigeria.

Attacks have increased since three states - Borno, Adamawa and Yobe - were put under emergency rule more than 18 months ago.

The kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in Borno state in April sparked international outrage.

Despite military assistance from countries such as China, France, the UK and the US, the girls have not yet been rescued.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30529178

Opinion: Honestly given the constant activity by this disgrace to humanity. You would think we would already have a megathread. I suppose it slipped moderation's list of important reminders to do so. Either way, as Nigeria struggles to contain this I just hope their next government steps up from the rather snail like approach by "Goodluck" Johnathan. So what say you oh NSG's unleavened, and leavened masses?
Last edited by Benuty on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:16 am

In my language; "bok" simply means "shit". Suits them perfect.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:18 am

Gezi Park wrote:In my language; "bok" simply means "shit". Suits them perfect.

What language is that?
Formerly Burleson: August 8, 2014-December 8, 2014
Permanent sig coming soon
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:18 am

Burleson 2 wrote:
Gezi Park wrote:In my language; "bok" simply means "shit". Suits them perfect.

What language is that?

Turkish.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Friesland Confederancy
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Friesland Confederancy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:19 am

what happens in Africa.....
will still happen in Africa. best to stop caring.
Look yonder at my field where I grow my excrement

and see

that it is blocked.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:20 am

Friesland Confederancy wrote:what happens in Africa.....

Then explain why Senegal is so successful?
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 am

Ah yes, the racism comes quick.
password scrambled

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:26 am

Benuty wrote:

It isn't that successful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegal#Sharia_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index#Low_human_development
http://www.unesco.org/eri/cp/factsheets_ed/SN_EDFactSheet.pdf
You could have said Ghana or Botswana, I don't know why you didn't.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

Geilinor wrote:
Benuty wrote:Then explain why Senegal is so successful?

It isn't that successful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegal#Sharia_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index#Low_human_development
http://www.unesco.org/eri/cp/factsheets_ed/SN_EDFactSheet.pdf
You could have said Ghana or Botswana, I don't know why you didn't.

I should have specifically stated their AIDs program ( a lot more successful than other nations).

Of-course the media typically glosses over everything else conveniently.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29 am

Nevertheless the racist trying to threadjack is adorable, and should probably get off the Libraries computer to go back to class now.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:31 am

The problem is that it seems that that area, which is located in the North, has no oil so the government is dragging its feet. Northern Nigeria is Islamic while the South of Nigeria is not. But when the South, Biafra, wanted to separate from Islamic Nigeria they sent the entire military to crush it. So why do then not do the same thing today in the North. I forgot to mention that Biafra is where Nigeria gets its oil.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:32 am

As much an indictment on the continued failure of the government to take them down, as it is an indictment of Boko Haram themselves.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

Rio Cana wrote:The problem is that it seems that that area, which is located in the North, has no oil so the government is dragging its feet. Northern Nigeria is Islamic while the South of Nigeria is not. But when the South, Biafra, wanted to separate from Islamic Nigeria they sent the entire military to crush it. So why do then not do the same thing today in the North. I forgot to mention that Biafra is where Nigeria gets its oil.

I don't know how they're going to crush Boko Haram's tactics. Biafra was a state trying to break away and so sending the military did the job.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:44 am

Geilinor wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:The problem is that it seems that that area, which is located in the North, has no oil so the government is dragging its feet. Northern Nigeria is Islamic while the South of Nigeria is not. But when the South, Biafra, wanted to separate from Islamic Nigeria they sent the entire military to crush it. So why do then not do the same thing today in the North. I forgot to mention that Biafra is where Nigeria gets its oil.

I don't know how they're going to crush Boko Haram's tactics. Biafra was a state trying to break away and so sending the military did the job.

That's the point, If they managed to crush a major rebellion why cannot they defeat this small group of fighters. Cameroon has better tactics against them. A thin long thin strip of Northern Cameroon borders Nigeria. One thing, unlike Nigeria, Cameroon has ties and is dependent on the French military. Could explain why the West looks the other way when it comes to there President who has managed to stay in power for many years.

Found this. Seems a five nation military force is being set up to fight this group.

http://www.cameroonjournal.com/cameroon ... hin-weeks/
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:46 am

Rio Cana wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I don't know how they're going to crush Boko Haram's tactics. Biafra was a state trying to break away and so sending the military did the job.

That's the point, If they managed to crush a major rebellion why cannot they defeat this small group of fighters.

Because they're guerilla fighters. If the US managed to crush Imperial Japan why couldn't they defeat the Vietcong or the Taliban?

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 am

For fucks sake, again? Boko Haram and other similar groups both deeply sadden be and piss me off to a great extent. Boko Haram has committed grotesque, heinous crimes, and I feel horrible for the Nigerian people who have to put up with them.
Last edited by Fortschritte on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 am

Your lack of empathy and racism isn't appreciated.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:53 am

Fortschritte wrote:For fucks sake, again? Boko Haram and other similar groups both deeply sadden be and piss me off to a great extent. Boko Haram has committed grotesque, heinous crimes, and I feel horrible for the Nigerian people who have to put up with them.

Seconded, i wish Boko Haram and other similar groups would just fuck off and stop ruining peoples lives.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 am

I hope that the UN will organize a mercenary army that will deal with scum like these on a global basis.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Sereina
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sereina » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am

Benuty wrote:

Although Senegal has a more stable economy, poverty and unemployment is very widespread.
Check out Wattana, a tiny and new realistic roleplaying region!
Sereina is an influential nation which constitutes the Serein Pennisula. Their coastal location means a mild, windy climate. The nation has stunning hilly, rocky, and rugged natural scenery. There are many natural resources which contribute to its wealth but Sereina's economy is very diverse. Their culture is one of principles which originate from their native religion, Confucianism. Its fascinating customs are still found all over Sereina. More information in Factbook.

I'm a conservative-ish centrist who loves languages, cultures (especially South Korea's), and composing music. I live in a nice little suburb in Idaho's panhandle. I'm in the sixth grade so forgive me for my lack of experience.

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Well if you wanted to be let me say this in a polite way insensitive, than why did you care to post ?

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Benuty wrote:

You know, as much as I don't like the 'durr Africa dum dum' arguments. It is the first time I've heard 'Senegal' and 'Successful' in the same sentence. You got better regional examples. Far better even.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:04 pm

I understand in Europe, Africa and Asia are propobaly looked at with contempt but that is not the topic of this thread can we discuss this some other day ?

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Nigeria's neighbors really ought to help them combat these jackasses.
Insert trite farewell here

Al Nahar
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Nahar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:28 pm

There are two problems, one being the most obvious that is the Islamist Fundamentalism and Boko Haram in Nigeria. The other is the inability of the Nigerian government and army to successfully defeat this garbage. They need to go through some changes if they want to see these thugs dead forever. Corruption, Military reorganization, ect...lets face it the majority not ALL of African armies are ineffective, lets not even begin with their counter-insurgency tactics.
Missiles are our signature
تحيا الأمة العربية
Long Live Free Syria, Long Live Free Libya, Long Live the Arab Nation
Pro-Arab Nationalism, Secularism, Fatah Al Sisi, General Haftar, FSA Secular Rebels
Anti-Iran, Anti-Hezbollah, Anti-Muslim Brotherhood, Anti-Wahabist/Salafi, Anti-Zionist.

Celebration
Founding member of the League of Arab States https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=320477

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General