NATION

PASSWORD

Should foreigners have 4th amendment protections OUTSIDE US?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Should foreigners have 4th amendment protections OUTSIDE US?

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 pm

This is something I'm not entirely sure about. At the moment I'm inclined to believe that foreigners on foreign soil have no 4th amendment rights when it comes to NSA spying (on American soil is a different story). And if so should the government get a warrant?

So NSG, what say you?

Edit: This discussion will possibly involve Executive Order 12333 (What little we know of it).
Last edited by Amacia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Prezelly
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prezelly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Hmmm.
Legal foreigners yes, illegals no.
Also nice OP
All opinions are accepted as long as they are the right one
Political Compass
Economic Right: 2.0
Social Authoritarian: 0.7

ISTP personality type

Espresso and Insanity
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Espresso and Insanity » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Why shouldn't they? All residents of the US, whether they were born here or elsewhere, should have equal rights. It's not only rational, fair, but it's constitutional.
Last edited by Espresso and Insanity on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caffeine Addict, Bisexual, Moderate Social Democrat/Progressive, Atheist.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Prezelly wrote:Hmmm.
Also nice OP

Are you talking about illegal immigrants? I'm talking about foreigners in their own countries (possibly excluding fellow "Five Eyes" nations).
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Espresso and Insanity wrote:Why shouldn't they? All residents of the US, whether they were born here or elsewhere, should have equal rights. It's not only rational, fair, but it's constitutional.

If by legal residents you mean green card holders, then yes, they should have 4th amendment rights wherever they are. That's not what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Amacia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prezelly
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prezelly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Amacia wrote:
Prezelly wrote:Hmmm.
Also nice OP

Are you talking about illegal immigrants? I'm talking about foreigners in their own countries (possibly excluding fellow "Five Eyes" nations).

Ah I see, I misread.
Yes everybody should have the rights. But not everyone ever will
All opinions are accepted as long as they are the right one
Political Compass
Economic Right: 2.0
Social Authoritarian: 0.7

ISTP personality type

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm

On foreign soil? Not our jurisdiction, it seems like. Which means it's probably illegal for us to be spying on them anyways, so it's kind of a moot point, ain't it?
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 pm

My reasoning is that in warfare, if you shoot at our soldiers, you don't get trials, you get shot. Also, I think it's a little cumbersome to have warrants for spying on foreigners in foreign soil.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Amacia wrote:My reasoning is that in warfare, if you shoot at our soldiers, you don't get trials, you get shot. Also, I think it's a little cumbersome to have warrants for spying on foreigners in foreign soil.

So your talking about the NSA spying on citizens of foreign nations in their nation? Like a Brit in the UK?

If so, I'm afraid you're mistaken. The CIA spies on foreign soil, the NSA is domestic.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Amacia wrote:My reasoning is that in warfare, if you shoot at our soldiers, you don't get trials, you get shot. Also, I think it's a little cumbersome to have warrants for spying on foreigners in foreign soil.

So your talking about the NSA spying on citizens of foreign nations in their nation? Like a Brit in the UK?

If so, I'm afraid you're mistaken. The CIA spies on foreign soil, the NSA is domestic.

For the most part, the US doesn't spy on the UK as it's "Five Eyes" nation. CIA is human intelligence. NSA is signals intelligence.
But I'm mostly talking about the 4th amendment and warrants.
Last edited by Amacia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Everyone in this nation should have 4th Amendment protections.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:Everyone in this nation should have 4th Amendment protections.

Not the topic. This is about foreigners OUTSIDE THE US.

Milku Ugariti
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Milku Ugariti » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 pm

No one in America has rights, just temporary privileges.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Milku Ugariti wrote:No one in America has rights, just temporary privileges.

Did anyone read the OP?

Greater Weselton
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Amacia wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Everyone in this nation should have 4th Amendment protections.

I still think they should when it deals with the government.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:
Amacia wrote:Not the topic. This is about foreigners OUTSIDE THE US.

I still think they should when it deals with the government.

Should the gov. need to get a warrant first?

Greater Weselton
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Amacia wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:I still think they should when it deals with the government.

Should the gov. need to get a warrant first?

They should.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Amacia wrote:

US law ends at the border. The citizen is afforded the rights and protections of their country, no other. which still ends up with a high probability that espionage by American agents without approval from the foreign government is illegal.

Amacia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

For the most part, the US doesn't spy on the UK as it's "Five Eyes" nation. CIA is human intelligence. NSA is signals intelligence.

The US dosen't have CIA in the UK, right..... :eyebrow:

Are you referring to digital espionage? as that's a whole different subject.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:15 pm

No...Because they're not in the country. Laws are specific to countries.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Amacia wrote:Not the topic. This is about foreigners OUTSIDE THE US.

US law ends at the border. The citizen is afforded the rights and protections of their country, no other. which still ends up with a high probability that espionage by American agents without approval from the foreign government is illegal.

Amacia wrote:For the most part, the US doesn't spy on the UK as it's "Five Eyes" nation. CIA is human intelligence. NSA is signals intelligence.

The US dosen't have CIA in the UK, right..... :eyebrow:

Are you referring to digital espionage? as that's a whole different subject.

Didn't think about the foreign government approval aspect, though if we were spying on a foreign government, I'm not sure how we'd get their approval (my guess: we don't).

It's my understanding of the Five Eyes agreement that the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand share intelligence and don't spy on each other (whether they follow this is a different story).

And yes, I do mean digital espionage (surveillance).

Edit: Of interest to the foreign government permission question.
Last edited by Amacia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm a massive anti-nationalistic liberal, so I think that rights enforced by 4th amendment apply to everyone in the world as human rights.

I need to find more precise words to describe my weird political ideologies.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:I'm a massive anti-nationalistic liberal, so I think that rights enforced by 4th amendment apply to everyone in the world as human rights.

I feel like holding up the U.S constitution as world-wide law is essentially having America rule the world. Which a lot of people would complain about (at the very least).
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:48 am

Salus Maior wrote:
The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:I'm a massive anti-nationalistic liberal, so I think that rights enforced by 4th amendment apply to everyone in the world as human rights.

I feel like holding up the U.S constitution as world-wide law is essentially having America rule the world. Which a lot of people would complain about (at the very least).

Do you think that some people don't have a right to privacy without due process of law? That's all the 4th amendment says. Lots of things about the united states and its Constitution suck, but the 4th amendment is not one of those things. Also, check my wording. the rights are important, not where they are written down.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:53 am

Amacia wrote:This is something I'm not entirely sure about. At the moment I'm inclined to believe that foreigners on foreign soil have no 4th amendment rights when it comes to NSA spying (on American soil is a different story). And if so should the government get a warrant?

So NSG, what say you?

Edit: This discussion will possibly involve Executive Order 12333 (What little we know of it).

No.

The Fourth Amendment only applies to American citizens on American soil or American citizens on foreign soil in dealings with the American government.

Foreigners do not get American rights, certainly not on foreign soil; it's just as strange as saying British citizens in the UK have Australian constitutional protection.

This being the status quo, I see no reason to change it.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:55 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote: The CIA spies on foreign soil, the NSA is domestic.

Then the NSA are a very naughty agency.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General