NATION

PASSWORD

The Word "Ally"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Word "Ally"

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 pm

I am a bit picky about words. It bugs me when people use 'monkey' to describe apes, or 'rodent' to describe small furry mammals regardless of whether they are rodents or not. (like say, raccoons or bats).

But lately I find what bugs me is when LGBT people and feminists use the word 'ally' to mean "someone who claims to be on our side."

Generally being an ally means joining with, uniting with, and the definition I feel sums it up best is this one: a person, group, or nation that is associated with another or others for some common cause or purpose

So it has come to be increasingly common for people to talk about 'being a good ally' yet there is intense defensiveness about even the notion of constructive criticism given to LGBT or feminist activists about the same. What do others think of this? Should this not change so that there can be constructive talk about mutual benefits of being an ally?
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm

A good ally doesn't self-identify as an ally or asked to be acknowledged as one, they simply are because of their actions.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:08 pm

... So you're upset that a word has a non-standard definition - something that, as a pedant, you intensely dislike because it differs from your chosen dictionary of choice?

Why does the fact that words have meanings independent of what you, specifically, want them to have worthy of a thread?

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Avenio wrote:... So you're upset that a word has a non-standard definition - something that, as a pedant, you intensely dislike because it differs from your chosen dictionary of choice?

Why does the fact that words have meanings independent of what you, specifically, want them to have worthy of a thread?

Well, for a start it's misleading. Why not say 'supporter' which is an already existing and perfectly good word? After all, politicians don't ask people to become their allies when they mean supporters--they will say things like "will you support our campaign by putting up our banners/signs, putting on our buttons." And in fact, the White Ribbon Campaign, a campaign which is about ending violence against women, asks for people's support. I have no problem with the use of the word support. It is more accurate.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm

New Edom wrote:
Avenio wrote:... So you're upset that a word has a non-standard definition - something that, as a pedant, you intensely dislike because it differs from your chosen dictionary of choice?

Well, for a start it's misleading. Why not say 'supporter' which is an already existing and perfectly good word? After all, politicians don't ask people to become their allies when they mean supporters--they will say things like "will you support our campaign by putting up our banners/signs, putting on our buttons." And in fact, the White Ribbon Campaign, a campaign which is about ending violence against women, asks for people's support. I have no problem with the use of the word support. It is more accurate.

Let me put it this way. I'm a supporter of a sovereign, Kurdish state. I'm not Kurdish nor do I know any Kurds personally, but from what I've read and learned about the world, in my judgment I think they deserve a country of their own.

But then with say, trans issues, there are people close to me who mean a lot to me who are trans and so that cause is more personal. I don't just support trans peoples' rights out of principle but because I've been personally exposed to their struggle even though I haven't lived it myself.

So the two positions are different; they both relate to my opinions about a matter but they come from different places.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 pm

New Edom wrote:Well, for a start it's misleading. Why not say 'supporter' which is an already existing and perfectly good word?

I dunno, because it's not the right word? We're talking about people who actively (note that; nice, strong and motive word, that) participate in the movement, but aren't LGTB or a woman. 'Ally' is a perfectly good word.

New Edom wrote:After all, politicians don't ask people to become their allies when they mean supporters--they will say things like "will you support our campaign by putting up our banners/signs, putting on our buttons."

They will, however, talk about other politicians and active participants using the word 'ally'. Since, again, we're talking about active participants not people who chip in to buy a bumper sticker.

And in fact, the White Ribbon Campaign, a campaign which is about ending violence against women, asks for people's support. I have no problem with the use of the word support. It is more accurate.

Again, your opinion about word usage as an amateur pedant on the internet is not nearly important enough to warrant changing the terminology.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 pm

New Edom wrote:I am a bit picky about words. It bugs me when people use 'monkey' to describe apes, or 'rodent' to describe small furry mammals regardless of whether they are rodents or not. (like say, raccoons or bats).

But lately I find what bugs me is when LGBT people and feminists use the word 'ally' to mean "someone who claims to be on our side."

Generally being an ally means joining with, uniting with, and the definition I feel sums it up best is this one: a person, group, or nation that is associated with another or others for some common cause or purpose

So it has come to be increasingly common for people to talk about 'being a good ally' yet there is intense defensiveness about even the notion of constructive criticism given to LGBT or feminist activists about the same. What do others think of this? Should this not change so that there can be constructive talk about mutual benefits of being an ally?

I got into a heated debate about whether apes are monkeys with someone once. The argument ended when he asserted that apes is the term used to describe specific species, but ultimately they are still monkeys in a very broad sense. I didn't know enough about monkeys to continue.

The arguments people get into huh.

Neu-Pommern
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu-Pommern » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 pm

I couldn't careless, but misused words are a diamond dozen.
Social Attitude Test Result
In-Game information non-canon unless otherwise stated. No warranties express or implied. No purchase neccesary. Side effects may includes upset stomach, nausea, and rarely may lead to internal bleeding or death. See store for details.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 pm

You just out pedantried me.

Impossible.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm

You should go like play a video game or something. Splitting hairs over the casual use of one word isn't worth wasting time over.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Alright, let's try this then: I think it's just another way for politically correct people to try to control others' words and behaviour, and claim a high position for people who can claim being victims.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:27 pm

New Edom wrote:Alright, let's try this then: I think it's just another way for politically correct people to try to control others' words and behaviour, and claim a high position for people who can claim being victims.

Yes, it is a plot involving the Gays and Liberals to ultimately control the world through political correctness and all that, etc. etc..
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Why is it never possible to discuss issues of courtesy and clarity about these issues?

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 pm

A question I've asked in many swastika, confederate flag, and "it's unfair that white people can't use the n word" threads/discussions.
OP, what exactly are you trying to acquire the gays' help with? I don't imagine it's that you need signatures on a petition to start a straight club.
I imagine they would be helping if there was some pressing issue that applied specifically to heterosexuals, but the fact that there's a large group of people who think being gay is wrong and will do quite a lot to have this view become a social norm again, (and a distinct lack of 30-40% of the population doing the same with straights,) is kind of why there's a homosexuality "issue" in the first place.
Most of them are involved in politics in other matters, where they try to address, for example, the issues of the poor. They just don't bring up the fact that they're gay in the process because why would they?
Last edited by Margno on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I see threads in forums, blog posts, youtube clips showing people talking about 'being a good ally' which seems to consist of simply accepting whatever line of thought is proposed, shutting up and listening, and being told that any input offered independently of established conventions of thought are essentially arrogant and inappropriate. Disagreeing with this--regardless of what aid, activism or donations have been made--is sufficient to be accused of not really caring about the supporting cause at all. This is why I have raised this concern.

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Yes, it is a plot involving the Gays and Liberals to ultimately control the world through political correctness and all that, etc. etc..
The struggles are real.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Skeckoa wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Yes, it is a plot involving the Gays and Liberals to ultimately control the world through political correctness and all that, etc. etc..
The struggles are real.

lol

Skeckoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:17 pm

New Edom wrote:I see threads in forums, blog posts, youtube clips showing people talking about 'being a good ally' which seems to consist of simply accepting whatever line of thought is proposed, shutting up and listening, and being told that any input offered independently of established conventions of thought are essentially arrogant and inappropriate. Disagreeing with this--regardless of what aid, activism or donations have been made--is sufficient to be accused of not really caring about the supporting cause at all. This is why I have raised this concern.
The idea is that if you are a straight ally, great. Be an ally and support people with less provelage than you in public spaces, don't interrupt. It's pretty given that any LGBTQ person has loads of people to choose from if they wanted to hear the opinion of a cis-het dude.

Or worst yet, getting attention and seeking some sort of reward for the fact that you treat people like human beings. You don't have to accept what they say, but the debate as to what must go on is something that should be done by members of the community as opposed to an outsider.

EX: Assuming you are cisgendered, there is little that we can input as to an issue like if a certain word is offensive or not. BUT I DON"T MEAN IT IN A MEAN WAY, don't change the facts.

You sound like you may of had a bad run-in.
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:19 pm

The way the LGBT group uses the word "ally" is kind of correct. But what bugs me is how the definitions of racism and sexism have been changed so fucking much. Like where the fuck did this whole "blacks can't be racist, because racism requires power" spiel come from?
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Skeckoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Anglo-California wrote:The way the LGBT group uses the word "ally" is kind of correct. But what bugs me is how the definitions of racism and sexism have been changed so fucking much. Like where the fuck did this whole "blacks can't be racist, because racism requires power" spiel come from?
I always took it as saying that a White being racist to a black, even casually, held much larger repercussions than if the role was reversed since one person in that group is going to hold much more power than the other.

How they morphed the word... have you tried asking? :p
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Neu-Pommern wrote:I couldn't careless, but misused words are a diamond dozen.

Well put. :)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Either people want equality or they don't. Either people want fairness or they don't. The above example about "Blacks cannot be bigots" is a very good example. Anyone can have unfair prejudices.

In a similar way, it is possible to be sexist towards men and unfair towards heterosexual people. It is possible for general teachings to lean that way.

And furthermore--why should people not get recognition for good deeds? Why is there this odd perspective that people should simply be punished for wrongdoing and expect no reward or recognition for the good that they do? There is a difference between getting a reward just for a few words spoken and being recognized for instance for consistent charity.

My grandmother received a government award for twenty five years of helping organize charity drives for the children's hospital in our city. Should she NOT have been given that recognition?

Let's take it down a step--someone speaks up on my behalf when I am treated unfairly for racist reasons. Should I NOT thank them for speaking up? Since when is it bad to encourage and reward decency?

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

New Edom wrote:Alright, let's try this then: I think it's just another way for politically correct people to try to control others' words and behaviour, and claim a high position for people who can claim being victims.

That's a little rich considering that's exactly what you're doing in this thread. I mean, you basically admitted it here;

In a similar way, it is possible to be sexist towards men and unfair towards heterosexual people.

You're upset that the LGTB/feminist movement isn't being sufficiently deferential to you, the cis-heterosexual male.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:02 pm

New Edom wrote:Either people want equality or they don't. Either people want fairness or they don't. The above example about "Blacks cannot be bigots" is a very good example. Anyone can have unfair prejudices.

In a similar way, it is possible to be sexist towards men and unfair towards heterosexual people. It is possible for general teachings to lean that way.

And furthermore--why should people not get recognition for good deeds? Why is there this odd perspective that people should simply be punished for wrongdoing and expect no reward or recognition for the good that they do? There is a difference between getting a reward just for a few words spoken and being recognized for instance for consistent charity.

My grandmother received a government award for twenty five years of helping organize charity drives for the children's hospital in our city. Should she NOT have been given that recognition?

Let's take it down a step--someone speaks up on my behalf when I am treated unfairly for racist reasons. Should I NOT thank them for speaking up? Since when is it bad to encourage and reward decency?

Undoubtedly, the fight for egalitarianism has been taken a bit too far. As you just mentioned the groups which have been previously marginalised and/or historically oppressed are now held in a pedestal by Western society (this happens in a similar way in Europe -- especially the Nordic countries) in which we believe them to be incapable of instituting the same forms of discrimination or ancestors and predecessors instituted on their ancestors and predecessors. We believe they need to be put above us because of historic events we aren't responsible for.

I am as frustrated as you are with the current political correctness. I am fed-up with the man-hating Feminists (just the man-hating ones) and the fact that saying anything about blacks or whatever group perceived to be marginalised is now considered racist.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm

No. What I'm proposing is that the word is not being used properly and it is being used in a way that is divisive and ineffective.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General