NATION

PASSWORD

The Inevitable Independence(OOC THREAD)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Agusia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

The Inevitable Independence(OOC THREAD)

Postby Agusia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:54 am

THE RP/IC THREAD
->Click Here<-

Note
The RP is ongoing and is open for more RPers, inquire here or via telegram.

:lol:
Hello to those who are reading this and that has taken interest of my role-play idea.

I am looking for a great power who would be the decaying colonial power still in grasping control of my country after a century of rapid progress, revolutions and changes in world society and politics; an R.P shall be held subsequently for my country's consequent independence. There will be no criteria or application but I would like to ask you to provide me of what would be my country's history and situation under your country.

But first, let me provide you of my country's history before being discovered and settled by, possibly, you. Let this serve as a guide:

Agusia is a continent consisting of a 3,676,216 square mile mainland, 1,447 continental islands first inhabited by nomadic peoples called the "Heileafoltushans" who came across the Continent. Several years after the Nomadic People settled, they eventually stayed and had grown accustomed to the land. The Nomads however have split into groups, settling across and further into the Continent.

The Heileafoltushans have developed their own ideals, cultures, way of life, and devices to improve such, then they began to worship many deities of different and for separate kinds and purposes, too many that most of them were not recorded due to causes varying and unknown and was forgotten. There are however three notable divine beings: Lu Zios lo Wenera Egron ("The God of Eternal Green", a divine being who gives people, having collective minds of good intent, prosperity in agriculture); Lu Zios lo Wonora Ronara ("The God of Peaceful Beginnings", who gives new mothers' children a guaranteed rich and colourful life in their early ages until they enter adulthood); Lu Zios lo Wonora Xohora ("The God of Peaceful Ends", who grants dying peoples' last moments to be at near absolute peace).

The Heileafoltushans flourished and, at the same time, grew more distinct from one another as a consequence of living separately and away from each other, that even interaction between all was almost rare. Civilization started to take form, slowly yet surely, with the sudden rise of Ciuelodestos (City-States). Each Ciuelodestos had its own government, arts, religions, and social standards and understanding. The City-States which sought peace and coexistence tried to encourage trade and economic exchanges between others. This however has evidently failed and later, the City-States commenced building their own armies to either wage war against one another for riches, resources, and personal interests or to simply defend themselves from being conquered and, sometimes, annihilated.

:p

Please excuse me if there are any typos or anything else that should be done there, I am though an experienced role-player and have recently joined N.S once again. Thank you very, very much for your attentiveness and having the time reading this and the RP thread.
Last edited by Agusia on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Albion-Normandy
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Albion-Normandy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 am

They there, I would be interested in taking part. The Empress of my nation recently passed away and an new emperor was crown we could maybe use the transition of power to give the colony the vacuum to demand independence. What do you think?

Latonar
Attaché

Founded: Oct 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Latonar » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 am

Agusia wrote:Hello to those who are reading this and that has taken interest of my role-play idea.

I am looking for a great power who would be the decaying colonial power still in grasping control of my country after a century of rapid progress, revolutions and changes in world society and politics; an R.P shall be held subsequently for my country's consequent independence. There will be no criteria or application but I would like to ask you to provide me of what would be my country's history and situation under your country.

But first, let me provide you of my country's history before being discovered and settled by, possibly, you. Let this serve as a guide:

Agusia is a continent consisting of a 3,676,216 square mile mainland, 1,447 continental islands first inhabited by nomadic peoples called the "Heileafoltushans" who came across the Continent. Several years after the Nomadic People settled, they eventually stayed and had grown accustomed to the land. The Nomads however have split into groups, settling across and further into the Continent.

The Heileafoltushans have developed their own ideals, cultures, way of life, and devices to improve such, then they began to worship many deities of different and for separate kinds and purposes, too many that most of them were not recorded due to causes varying and unknown and was forgotten. There are however three notable divine beings: Lu Zios lo Wenera Egron ("The God of Eternal Green", a divine being who gives people, having collective minds of good intent, prosperity in agriculture); Lu Zios lo Wonora Ronara ("The God of Peaceful Beginnings", who gives new mothers' children a guaranteed rich and colourful life in their early ages until they enter adulthood); Lu Zios lo Wonora Xohora ("The God of Peaceful Ends", who grants dying peoples' last moments to be at near absolute peace).

The Heileafoltushans flourished and, at the same time, grew more distinct from one another as a consequence of living separately and away from each other, that even interaction between all was almost rare. Civilization started to take form, slowly yet surely, with the sudden rise of Ciuelodestos (City-States). Each Ciuelodestos had its own government, arts, religions, and social standards and understanding. The City-States which sought peace and coexistence tried to encourage trade and economic exchanges between others. This however has evidently failed and later, the City-States commenced building their own armies to either wage war against one another for riches, resources, and personal interests or to simply defend themselves from being conquered and, sometimes, annihilated.

Please excuse me if there are any typos or anything else that should be done there, I am though an experienced role-player and have recently joined N.S once again. Thank you very, very much for your attentiveness and having the time reading this.

We are willing accept you, but not as colony bbut as almost independent part of our united kingdom.

The king and council of Latonar.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 am

Albion-Normandy wrote:They there, I would be interested in taking part. The Empress of my nation recently passed away and an new emperor was crown we could maybe use the transition of power to give the colony the vacuum to demand independence. What do you think?

Do you suggest a power vacuum to be the main cause why my country, if ever, raised the question of your country's rule over mine?

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:56 am

Latonar wrote:
Agusia wrote:Hello to those who are reading this and that has taken interest of my role-play idea.

Please excuse me if there are any typos or anything else that should be done there, I am though an experienced role-player and have recently joined N.S once again. Thank you very, very much for your attentiveness and having the time reading this.

We are willing accept you, but not as colony bbut as almost independent part of our united kingdom.

The king and council of Latonar.

What are you trying to say, is this meant ICly or OOCly?

Albion-Normandy
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Albion-Normandy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 am

Agusia wrote:
Albion-Normandy wrote:They there, I would be interested in taking part. The Empress of my nation recently passed away and an new emperor was crown we could maybe use the transition of power to give the colony the vacuum to demand independence. What do you think?

Do you suggest a power vacuum to be the main cause why my country, if ever, raised the question of your country's rule over mine?

The reasons for independence are totally up to you as you develop the RP story line. The power vaccum can be seen as an opportunity to act on the desire of those seeking independence.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 am

Albion-Normandy wrote:
Agusia wrote:Do you suggest a power vacuum to be the main cause why my country, if ever, raised the question of your country's rule over mine?

The reasons for independence are totally up to you as you develop the RP story line. The power vaccum can be seen as an opportunity to act on the desire of those seeking independence.

That is why I am asking you as I am not you, how could I develop one without the knowledge of your country's history?

Why would there be a power vacuum when your head of state, the Empress, just died. Is executive power solely vested on her and that nobody else can take over her duties temporarily until a new sovereign is crowned?
Last edited by Agusia on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 am

(I realize you're talking to someone else already, but as this is still listed as "Open" and as it's a very interesting idea, I'm going to make my pitch too.)

Suggested history

Once Schutzenphalia had annexed Ruhntuhnkuhnland to gain a permanent warm water port, it began developing a genuine blue water navy to befit its new status as a sea power: the previously landlocked mountain state's power had hitherto come rather from its control of key Alpine passes and the strategically and economically important Ruhntuhnkuhn river. The first wave began with a largely peaceful encroachment of outlying Agusian islands, but the lure of the mainland's natural treasures proved too strong. Under a guise of bringing missionary faith and offering to "protect" the Agusian people - from whom, it was never made entirely clear - a full colonisation began.

Suggested political situation in Agusia

Agusia is currently administered as a Crown Dependency. This situation grants its government some levels of local autonomy, while denying it complete independence; key political figures are either Schutzenphalian, or stooges appointed by the home government. There is an ongoing Schutzenphalian military presence on Agusian soil, and private industry continues to operate, extracting valuable natural resources. However, in general the treatment of the Agusian people is paternalistic, rather than oppressive. In particular, the Church's role has drastically changed: attempts to forcibly convert locals from their cult beliefs have long since died away, and now if anything the few remaining missionaries are more likely to support local causes.

Suggested political situation in Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland is a modernising, liberalising country, with a new generation for whom its colonial history is a profound embarrassment, speaking to racial, religious and political cultures that are long out of date. There may even be more support for complete independence among Schutzenphalian youths than Agusians. However, the establishment is uneasy about the path of decolonisation, primarily because it fears that should Agusia be granted independence, Schutzenphalian colonists will be expelled and business interests nationalised. Furthermore, the military is concerned about losing the force projection offered by the foreign military bases.

Suggested themes for ongoing story

Schutzenphalian interests were advanced by exploiting a "divide and rule" strategy, pitting City-States against one another and then profiting from their mutual demise. As Schutzenphalian interests start to wain, internal conflicts could start to resurface. The extensive plundering of Agusian natural resources has also been accompanied by a similarly pecunious attitude to cultural treasures. Schutzenphalian colonies have been established and their political status now lies in jeopardy.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:09 am

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland wrote:(I realize you're talking to someone else already, but as this is still listed as "Open" and as it's a very interesting idea, I'm going to make my pitch too.)

Suggested history

Once Schutzenphalia had annexed Ruhntuhnkuhnland to gain a permanent warm water port, it began developing a genuine blue water navy to befit its new status as a sea power: the previously landlocked mountain state's power had hitherto come rather from its control of key Alpine passes and the strategically and economically important Ruhntuhnkuhn river. The first wave began with a largely peaceful encroachment of outlying Agusian islands, but the lure of the mainland's natural treasures proved too strong. Under a guise of bringing missionary faith and offering to "protect" the Agusian people - from whom, it was never made entirely clear - a full colonisation began.

Suggested political situation in Agusia

Agusia is currently administered as a Crown Dependency. This situation grants its government some levels of local autonomy, while denying it complete independence; key political figures are either Schutzenphalian, or stooges appointed by the home government. There is an ongoing Schutzenphalian military presence on Agusian soil, and private industry continues to operate, extracting valuable natural resources. However, in general the treatment of the Agusian people is paternalistic, rather than oppressive. In particular, the Church's role has drastically changed: attempts to forcibly convert locals from their cult beliefs have long since died away, and now if anything the few remaining missionaries are more likely to support local causes.

Suggested political situation in Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland is a modernising, liberalising country, with a new generation for whom its colonial history is a profound embarrassment, speaking to racial, religious and political cultures that are long out of date. There may even be more support for complete independence among Schutzenphalian youths than Agusians. However, the establishment is uneasy about the path of decolonisation, primarily because it fears that should Agusia be granted independence, Schutzenphalian colonists will be expelled and business interests nationalised. Furthermore, the military is concerned about losing the force projection offered by the foreign military bases.

Suggested themes for ongoing story

Schutzenphalian interests were advanced by exploiting a "divide and rule" strategy, pitting City-States against one another and then profiting from their mutual demise. As Schutzenphalian interests start to wain, internal conflicts could start to resurface. The extensive plundering of Agusian natural resources has also been accompanied by a similarly pecunious attitude to cultural treasures. Schutzenphalian colonies have been established and their political status now lies in jeopardy.

I am interested with what you have provided. Will you please elaborate further the political situation in my country and further information regarding other fields of relevance to finally shape my country's history under your country's rule?
Last edited by Agusia on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:39 am

Agusia wrote:I am interested with what you have provided. Will you please elaborate further the political situation in my country and further information regarding other fields of relevance to finally shape my country's history under yours?

Of course. Understand that at this stage it's very much provisional and open to negotiation on specific details:

Government of Agusia

At present, Agusia is defined as a "Crown Dependency". This means that it is not an independent, sovereign state, but that it is somewhat self-governing. The Head of State is the Crown Prince and the Head of Government is a Governor, a Schutzenphalian official appointed by the Schutzenphalian government. Agusia does not have any representation in the Schutzenphalian Diet. It does have its own bicameral legislature. The lower house, elected by Agusians, has very limited law-making ability: while there are often fiery speeches in favour of independence, their powers are mostly limited to things like changing road signage and voting on subsidies for marine reservations. The upper house is appointed on a regional basis, representing the various bases of power of the old City-States, and while it has much more power to set policy, it is mostly populated by Schutzenphalian minor nobility or the "old generation" of pro-Schutzenphalian Agusians, who are happy to collaborate with their colonial overlords in exchange for their favourable position. The Governor retains final veto over all laws, which means in pracical terms the Schutzenphalian Crown sets the direction of policy.

Politics of Agusia

As such, the mood for political change mostly comes from a grass roots level. Depending on the direction you want to take this, this could involve a single charismatic leader of a National Liberation Front, a collective group based on political or religious or even ethnic activism, or a more generalised resentment against ongoing limited decolonisation while the rest of the world embraces independence of former colonial subjects. In a cruel irony, many of the institutions established by Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland have come to be hotbeds of agitation against the homeland, such as the military, police force, Church, universities and labour unions. The presence of Schutzenphalian private businesses is a particularly sore spot, as they are seen as harvesting Agusian resources and returning the profits to the metropolis instead of enhancing the colony.

Key historical points

The conquest of Agusia by Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland was not peaceful, but neither was it especially brutal: there was no organized genocide or campaign of deliberate civilian massacre. Still, outrages were committed and there are occasional breaches of the peace, resulting in military crackdowns on civil liberties. As mentioned, the attitude of the colonial government is profoundly paternalistic, treating the Agusians more as children unready for freedom rather than as savages unworthy of it. Given the homeland's mountainous nature, they have always treated their fertile colony as something of a breadbasket, developing intensive agricultural practices in products such as coffee, rice and fruit not available domestically. Similarly, while the homeland is a pristine natural beauty, Schutzenphalian business interests abroad have been less discriminating, leading to destruction of natural resources, population transfer as locals are forced from their homes as part of massive earthworks projects, and heavy pollution of some coastal areas.

Suggested ideas

These aren't firm ideas, but are possibilities depending on how the independence is planned out.
Criminal enterprise - The "divide and rule" strategy advanced by Schutzenphalian governors has had unfortunate consequences of the social order of Agusia, finding it profitable to fall in with whomever can deliver the most profits with the least fuss. As such, criminality is rife beneath the surface.
Energy - Perhaps the most crucial natural resource of all, and the one that would be hardest to give up, would be significant deposits of oil, natural gas, or uranium.
Foreign affairs - There could also be a secondary power involved in all this, either as pro-independence backers of Agusians, or as a looming threat about which the Schutzenphalians are concerned a newly independent Agusia would fall to.
Narcoterrorism - Coffee isn't the only thing that can be grown in those lush hillsides, and the idea could be that certain local leaders have amassed vast fortunes making them virtual potentates in waiting.
Religion - A thoroughly Catholic country that brought missionaries and bibles along with its rifles and bayonets, Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland has since liberalised, leading to a more liberation-theology oriented clergy.
Last edited by Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 am

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland wrote:
Agusia wrote:I am interested with what you have provided. Will you please elaborate further the political situation in my country and further information regarding other fields of relevance to finally shape my country's history under yours?

Of course. Understand that at this stage it's very much provisional and open to negotiation on specific details:

Government of Agusia

At present, Agusia is defined as a "Crown Dependency". This means that it is not an independent, sovereign state, but that it is somewhat self-governing. The Head of State is the Crown Prince and the Head of Government is a Governor, a Schutzenphalian official appointed by the Schutzenphalian government. Agusia does not have any representation in the Schutzenphalian Diet. It does have its own bicameral legislature. The lower house, elected by Agusians, has very limited law-making ability: while there are often fiery speeches in favour of independence, their powers are mostly limited to things like changing road signage and voting on subsidies for marine reservations. The upper house is appointed on a regional basis, representing the various bases of power of the old City-States, and while it has much more power to set policy, it is mostly populated by Schutzenphalian minor nobility or the "old generation" of pro-Schutzenphalian Agusians, who are happy to collaborate with their colonial overlords in exchange for their favourable position. The Governor retains final veto over all laws, which means in pracical terms the Schutzenphalian Crown sets the direction of policy.

Politics of Agusia

As such, the mood for political change mostly comes from a grass roots level. Depending on the direction you want to take this, this could involve a single charismatic leader of a National Liberation Front, a collective group based on political or religious or even ethnic activism, or a more generalised resentment against ongoing limited decolonisation while the rest of the world embraces independence of former colonial subjects. In a cruel irony, many of the institutions established by Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland have come to be hotbeds of agitation against the homeland, such as the military, police force, Church, universities and labour unions. The presence of Schutzenphalian private businesses is a particularly sore spot, as they are seen as harvesting Agusian resources and returning the profits to the metropolis instead of enhancing the colony.

Key historical points

The conquest of Agusia by Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland was not peaceful, but neither was it especially brutal: there was no organized genocide or campaign of deliberate civilian massacre. Still, outrages were committed and there are occasional breaches of the peace, resulting in military crackdowns on civil liberties. As mentioned, the attitude of the colonial government is profoundly paternalistic, treating the Agusians more as children unready for freedom rather than as savages unworthy of it. Given the homeland's mountainous nature, they have always treated their fertile colony as something of a breadbasket, developing intensive agricultural practices in products such as coffee, rice and fruit not available domestically. Similarly, while the homeland is a pristine natural beauty, Schutzenphalian business interests abroad have been less discriminating, leading to destruction of natural resources, population transfer as locals are forced from their homes as part of massive earthworks projects, and heavy pollution of some coastal areas.

Suggested ideas

These aren't firm ideas, but are possibilities depending on how the independence is planned out.
Criminal enterprise - The "divide and rule" strategy advanced by Schutzenphalian governors has had unfortunate consequences of the social order of Agusia, finding it profitable to fall in with whomever can deliver the most profits with the least fuss. As such, criminality is rife beneath the surface.
Energy - Perhaps the most crucial natural resource of all, and the one that would be hardest to give up, would be significant deposits of oil, natural gas, or uranium.
Foreign affairs - There could also be a secondary power involved in all this, either as pro-independence backers of Agusians, or as a looming threat about which the Schutzenphalians are concerned a newly independent Agusia would fall to.
Narcoterrorism - Coffee isn't the only thing that can be grown in those lush hillsides, and the idea could be that certain local leaders have amassed vast fortunes making them virtual potentates in waiting.
Religion - A thoroughly Catholic country that brought missionaries and bibles along with its rifles and bayonets, Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland has since liberalised, leading to a more liberation-theology oriented clergy.

On Government

Schutzenphalian Agusia's Government shall have a bicameral legislature to be known as the "Confederation Legislature" consisting of the "Crown Council", the upper house, and the "Crown Assembly", the lower house. The Upper House shall consist of representatives appointed by the 38 member states, the Lower House however will consist of representatives elected by the people, and suffrage will be based on the population. What are the titles of the Crown Prince and how is he addressed?

On Politics

"Lu Benema Eruna Tuhan" (The National Freedom Front) shall be a nationalistic-liberal militaristic rebel group backed by the Agusian Lower Classes and the ideals of the American Revolution, they plan to arouse the Agusian people to unite and act violently against you, our colonial masters, and to disrupt economic activities and weaken the Schutzenphalian military. The Front also seeks to scare Pro-Schutzenphalian Agusians and force them to renounce their allegiances to the Schutzenphalian Prince as an act of rebellion.

"Lu Benema Jikloa Valao" (The National Reformist Movement) shall be a reformist movement supported by intellectuals, liberals and moderates, the Agusian Middle Class and several of those in the Agusian Upper Class, the Landed Elite, and the Nobility with the agenda that Agusia be made as a Schutzenphalian national subdivision, a part of Schutzenphalia; representation in the Schutzenphalian Diet, and freedom of speech and assembly.

On History

*Right On!*

On the Cause of Independence

The people's want for sovereignty is rooted from either because of foreign intervention or the Schutzenphalian Overexploitation of Agusian natural resources, affecting the surrounding ecosystems.
Last edited by Agusia on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:52 am

This is a really interesting idea you have, and I'm hooked. One thing I'd like to suggest, is perhaps this be set in the 1950s or 1960s?

Similar to the Portugese Colonial Wars?
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:58 am

Organized States wrote:This is a really interesting idea you have, and I'm hooked. One thing I'd like to suggest, is perhaps this be set in the 1950s or 1960s?

Similar to the Portugese Colonial Wars?

Thank you for your interest; I plan to have it set in the present time but, I am considering this.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:15 am

Agusia wrote:What are the titles of the Crown Prince and how is he addressed?

The Crown Prince, His Highness Kronprinz Torsten III, is the heir to the Schutzenphalian throne. Officially, his status as Head of the Agusian State is to prepare him to rule Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland, but less officially, it's more simply to give him something to do while he waits around. Historically, it was rooted in a desire to prevent internecine strife by rewarding the heir with a rich sinecure, but today things are more civilized. He enjoys many titles, but three relate specifically to Agusia: Protector of Agusia in his capacity as Head of State, Lord Protector of the Archipelagic Grand Duchy in his role overseeing the islands not part of the mainland continent, and Knight Grand Commander of the Order of Sankt Margrethe, a formal recognition of his status from the oldest religious order, which played an active role in colonising Agusia. (In case you hadn't guessed, Schutzenphalians are pretty pompous and fond of long words and fancy titles, when they really should be concentrating on more practical matters.) He would normally be addressed as "Your Highness".
Agusia wrote:"Lu Benema Eruna Tuhan"..."Lu Benema Jikloa Valao"

I really like this idea, as I think it very accurately encapsulates divisions possible within decolonisation movements. I see there being a tension: LBET engaging in industrial sabotage of Schutzenphalian business interests, while LBJV urges peaceful demonstration and engagement. Of course, the activities of LBET are more likely to bring a military response from the homeland, but at the same time the presence of LBJV will give cause for restraint, for fear of emboldening them too much.

Timewise, I am willing to be flexible, but I do want to establish a set date period so as to avoid having to later retcon details elsewhere. Obviously setting it further back in time would see the Schutzenphalian state be less progressive.

An additional thing I was thinking about was geography. Thus far, I've been working on the idea that Agusia is somewhere reasonably warm, whether in the equatorial region or tropics. This is to make it an attractive piece of land for colonisation - no one wants a frozen rock - and also to create a contrast with the mountainous, Alpine homeland climate. It's a tourist destination, too, meaning that as the independence movement stirs there would be Schutzenphalian citizens abroad in Agusia, creating a security concern.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 am

This seems interesting. Let me give my two cents to this.

I have two proposals.

One, Agusia was conquered by Abanhfleft during its early days of expansion and attempts at regional dominance. Since the Fleftics eventually found it too hard to totally subjugate the peoples of the recently conquered country, they decided to merely just keep the land as a colony, with trustworthy Fleftics ruling over the natives. Fast forward to the present. The present government of the now-Democratic Republic has decided that the expenditures of maintaining the colony in Agusia is too much of a drain to the economy, and decides to start up the decolonization process. The plan is to establish a federation, most probably made up of some of the more prominent city-states in the area's history, and hand over the power to a new, handpicked ruling elite after a few years of pullouts and whatnot. Of course, some Fleftic interests would have to remain, like businesses, and quite possibly a military base or two. Of course some (all right, maybe most) of the natives would resent the way the Fleftics set up their new independent government, and some soon grow to believe that they wouldn't actually be independent at all, just a Fleftic client state. That could be the start of an attempt (or many) to overthrow the Fleftic-appointed leader and replace him/her with a real Agusian leader.

Now, if your prefer some of the other scenarios presented here, I can always play a third party: Abanhfleft wants a resource or two that Aguia produces in abundance, but cannot get due to the colonizer's monopoly on Agusian exports. Now that Agusia is abot to become independent/be decolonized, Abanhfleft will covertly support an independence movement in exchange for access to Agusia's resources. Some of the independence supporters might feel that to do this would only mean giving up one colonial master for another, and therefore are inclined to fight back against Abanhfleft's attempts to neocolonize them.

Anyway, whatever you choose, it's your choice.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 am

Agusia wrote:What are the titles of the Crown Prince and how is he addressed?

The Crown Prince, His Highness Kronprinz Torsten III, is the heir to the Schutzenphalian throne. Officially, his status as Head of the Agusian State is to prepare him to rule Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland, but less officially, it's more simply to give him something to do while he waits around. Historically, it was rooted in a desire to prevent internecine strife by rewarding the heir with a rich sinecure, but today things are more civilized. He enjoys many titles, but three relate specifically to Agusia: Protector of Agusia in his capacity as Head of State, Lord Protector of the Archipelagic Grand Duchy in his role overseeing the islands not part of the mainland continent, and Knight Grand Commander of the Order of Sankt Margrethe, a formal recognition of his status from the oldest religious order, which played an active role in colonising Agusia. (In case you hadn't guessed, Schutzenphalians are pretty pompous and fond of long words and fancy titles, when they really should be concentrating on more practical matters.) He would normally be addressed as "Your Highness".
Agusia wrote:"Lu Benema Eruna Tuhan"..."Lu Benema Jikloa Valao"

I really like this idea, as I think it very accurately encapsulates divisions possible within decolonisation movements. I see there being a tension: LBET engaging in industrial sabotage of Schutzenphalian business interests, while LBJV urges peaceful demonstration and engagement. Of course, the activities of LBET are more likely to bring a military response from the homeland, but at the same time the presence of LBJV will give cause for restraint, for fear of emboldening them too much.

Timewise, I am willing to be flexible, but I do want to establish a set date period so as to avoid having to later retcon details elsewhere. Obviously setting it further back in time would see the Schutzenphalian state be less progressive.

An additional thing I was thinking about was geography. Thus far, I've been working on the idea that Agusia is somewhere reasonably warm, whether in the equatorial region or tropics. This is to make it an attractive piece of land for colonisation - no one wants a frozen rock - and also to create a contrast with the mountainous, Alpine homeland climate. It's a tourist destination, too, meaning that as the independence movement stirs there would be Schutzenphalian citizens abroad in Agusia, creating a security concern.

I presume that the Crown of Schutzenphalia is separate from that of Agusia as Crown Prince Torsten is the Agusian Chief of State. I would like to ask of a clarification to this; description of his prerogatives and duties in the Agusia and if the Sovereign of Schutzenphalia shares the same position with his or her son, the Crown Prince, in the Agusian Dependency.

The rest is set for the RP on my count.
Last edited by Agusia on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:03 am

Abanhfleft wrote:This seems interesting. Let me give my two cents to this.

I have two proposals.

One, Agusia was conquered by Abanhfleft during its early days of expansion and attempts at regional dominance. Since the Fleftics eventually found it too hard to totally subjugate the peoples of the recently conquered country, they decided to merely just keep the land as a colony, with trustworthy Fleftics ruling over the natives. Fast forward to the present. The present government of the now-Democratic Republic has decided that the expenditures of maintaining the colony in Agusia is too much of a drain to the economy, and decides to start up the decolonization process. The plan is to establish a federation, most probably made up of some of the more prominent city-states in the area's history, and hand over the power to a new, handpicked ruling elite after a few years of pullouts and whatnot. Of course, some Fleftic interests would have to remain, like businesses, and quite possibly a military base or two. Of course some (all right, maybe most) of the natives would resent the way the Fleftics set up their new independent government, and some soon grow to believe that they wouldn't actually be independent at all, just a Fleftic client state. That could be the start of an attempt (or many) to overthrow the Fleftic-appointed leader and replace him/her with a real Agusian leader.

Now, if your prefer some of the other scenarios presented here, I can always play a third party: Abanhfleft wants a resource or two that Aguia produces in abundance, but cannot get due to the colonizer's monopoly on Agusian exports. Now that Agusia is abot to become independent/be decolonized, Abanhfleft will covertly support an independence movement in exchange for access to Agusia's resources. Some of the independence supporters might feel that to do this would only mean giving up one colonial master for another, and therefore are inclined to fight back against Abanhfleft's attempts to neocolonize them.

Anyway, whatever you choose, it's your choice.

Your first proposal to be involved in the RP might still be considered. The Second however I have found interesting, would you be willing to be the Third Party in the RP?
Last edited by Agusia on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:59 am

Agusia wrote:I presume that the Crown of Schutzenphalia is separate from that of Agusia as Crown Prince Torsten is the Agusian Chief of State. I would like to ask of a clarification to this; description of his prerogatives and duties in the Agusia and if the Sovereign of Schutzenphalia shares the same position with his or her son, the Crown Prince, in the Agusian Dependency.

The idea is that historically, the Großprinz of Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland was the Head of State of the homeland of the Agusian dependency. However, he granted it to his heir, the Kronprinz, as a political gesture. Since then, by tradition the Kronprinz(ess) has been the Head of State of Agusia. Obviously, in practical terms the Kronprinz is not going to go against the wishes of the Schutzenphalian Crown, but as his role is mainly ceremonial it doesn't really matter. His role is mostly limited to things like having new buildings named after him, appearing in public and giving speeches, and attending galas and ceremonies. The day to day running of the country falls to the Governor, the Crown Council, and the Crown Assembly. For example, the Kronprinz is officially the head of the Agusian military. But in practical terms, their orders from civilian command come from the Governor's office.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:53 am

Agusia wrote:I presume that the Crown of Schutzenphalia is separate from that of Agusia as Crown Prince Torsten is the Agusian Chief of State. I would like to ask of a clarification to this; description of his prerogatives and duties in the Agusia and if the Sovereign of Schutzenphalia shares the same position with his or her son, the Crown Prince, in the Agusian Dependency.

The idea is that historically, the Großprinz of Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland was the Head of State of the homeland of the Agusian dependency. However, he granted it to his heir, the Kronprinz, as a political gesture. Since then, by tradition the Kronprinz(ess) has been the Head of State of Agusia. Obviously, in practical terms the Kronprinz is not going to go against the wishes of the Schutzenphalian Crown, but as his role is mainly ceremonial it doesn't really matter. His role is mostly limited to things like having new buildings named after him, appearing in public and giving speeches, and attending galas and ceremonies. The day to day running of the country falls to the Governor, the Crown Council, and the Crown Assembly. For example, the Kronprinz is officially the head of the Agusian military. But in practical terms, their orders from civilian command come from the Governor's office.

Well then, a personal union of some sorts is in order between Schutzenphalia and Agusia.

Now, let us discuss the date when all of Agusia was conquered by you. Who and how many great princes, crown princes and princesses, and governors have passed since then?

Also, regarding the Office of Governor: Does the Office report to the Office of the Great Prince of Schutzenphalia or to the Office of the Prince of Agusia, does the Governor rule on the Great Prince's behalf and in his name or on the Crown Prince's?

To add the question of what will be the Colonial Administration, will it be only composed of the Crown Prince and the Governor?
Last edited by Agusia on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am

Given that our expansion would only really have been possible from the 18th century onwards, my preference would be that it would be late 18th century to early 19th century. Given the size of Agusia, complete conquest could have taken anything from a generation to a century. In terms of how many successive royal generations that adds up to, that's maybe not the best measure as there's no guarantee of a fixed length of term, but it would be safe to say there would be no one left alive who would remember Agusia not being a subject of Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland.

And I too would be interested in Abanhfleft playing the foreign influence on the independence movement.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:16 am

I've just thought of a better idea. When Agusia turns independent, Abanhfleft can covertly fund a separatist movement in a region in the country where a particularly valuable resource, such as gold, diamonds, or oil, is abundant. Just like what the Belgians did with the Katanga rebels back in the sixties. I will probably be doing something like that in this RP. Do you have any areas that are both located in a resource-abundant area, and in which there are separatist sentiments?
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Arredia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arredia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 am

It would seem that you guys have this mostly sorted out, but I was wondering if you might like to have me role play as a nation willing to moderately support Agusia's independence. Perhaps similar to France during the American Revolution?
My personal favorite of the wars I've been in, The Story of how Hjornis Came to be:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166861

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 am

The question of foreign influences is something I'm going to leave Agusia to decide as it affects his nation much more than mine, but I'm completely fine with it and I think it lends the whole affair a more realistic tone.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:36 am

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland wrote:Given that our expansion would only really have been possible from the 18th century onwards, my preference would be that it would be late 18th century to early 19th century. Given the size of Agusia, complete conquest could have taken anything from a generation to a century. In terms of how many successive royal generations that adds up to, that's maybe not the best measure as there's no guarantee of a fixed length of term, but it would be safe to say there would be no one left alive who would remember Agusia not being a subject of Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland.

And I too would be interested in Abanhfleft playing the foreign influence on the independence movement.

I see. Agusia will be then was conquered by you in November 2, 1708; confederation comes later after the 18th Century - My Fact-book for what information has been written so far, tell me if there are anything wrong or incompatible with your history.

Abanhfleft so far is the only RPer to perfectly fit the Third Party Role.
Last edited by Agusia on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Agusia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agusia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 am

Abanhfleft wrote:I've just thought of a better idea. When Agusia turns independent, Abanhfleft can covertly fund a separatist movement in a region in the country where a particularly valuable resource, such as gold, diamonds, or oil, is abundant. Just like what the Belgians did with the Katanga rebels back in the sixties. I will probably be doing something like that in this RP. Do you have any areas that are both located in a resource-abundant area, and in which there are separatist sentiments?

Yes, several member states are. Communities who live and are committed to labour in mines, quarries, farms, mills, and factories.
Last edited by Agusia on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents