NATION

PASSWORD

Countries and their greatest strengths

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Which nations have the greatest sociocultural gift (and why)?

1. Germany
15%
2. Italy (Rome)
10%
3. England
16%
4. China
7%
5. USA
22%
6. Scotland
3%
7. Ireland
4%
8. Egypt
3%
9. I disagree with your list in some ways (please specify)
12%
10. I disagree with your list in ALL ways (discuss)
6%

Total votes : 67

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Countries and their greatest strengths

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 am

In an effort to stem the tide of negativism, let us nominate countries according to their strengths, as we perceive them.

I am sure many will disagree with my choices, but here they are:

Germany: organized thought, in science, philosophy, theology (so few great treatises have yet to be translated!) and engineering.

Israel: monotheism

Italy: Political administration (credits to the Romans). Also, opera and sports cars.

Spain: flamenco, and guitars.

France: poetry

Netherlands: tolerance, and cheese :)

England: corporate teamwork. The great Companies of India and Hudson 's Bay were fine examples not of individualism but of cooperation. Also, to a more limited extent than they claim, civil freedoms (Magna Carta etc).

Scotland: Single malt whiskey, and some wonderful innovators in science and social science. http://www.edinburghsciencetriangle.com ... ators.aspx

Japan: the concept of kami, and appreciation for spirit as an essence of all things.

China: social order, and cuisine

India: early philosophy and theoretical insight

Egypt: Writing (with help from Phoenicia), national planning.

Greece: drama

Czechs and Hungary (Bohemia): alchemy and a free spirit

Argentina: the tango, an emblem of the national spirit. Also, with Uruguay, the gaucho; dashing, daring, apt to the work.

Brazil: samba (like tango, a derivative from Africa). The three great nations which have a deeply engrained pioneer spirit are Brazil, Canada, and the USA.

Cuba: cigars; no others can compare. They also have the best boxers and baseball players. Also, Castro defied the international hegemony and the nation survived. Imagine how much better they would be without decades of senseless embargo.

Canada: outstanding product quality. Their milk products are the finest in the world. Surprisingly successful bilingual experiment.

USA: Pop culture, entrepreneurship, Constitutional freedoms, and a better effort at engaging diverse populations than we see in most other countries.

Denmark: cooperatives.

Kenya: legal emphasis on families rather than individuals (this includes criminal law).

Ireland: bards, and the vision of an other world which is not heavenly but very real.

My three favorites are Germany, Ireland and Scotland, although I hope it is clear that I appreciate all of them.

What are yours? Where do you differ with my list, and how strongly, and why?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 am

Also, Castro defied the international hegemony...

By being a Soviet satellite state?

Anyways, I'd have to say its a three-way between the U.K-Israel-and the USA. Then again, one could credit Zoroaster in Persia with Monotheism first, but, eh.

Honorable mentions: China and India.
Last edited by Murkwood on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 am

Wow. Canada is there milk... You know that we have done more than make milk, such as make syrup, become a nation known for politeness and pacifism. Even if it is not always true. It is entirely multicultural as well as bilingual (kind of).
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:39 am

Canada: outstanding product quality. Their milk products are the finest in the world.

LIES AND SLANDER! EVERYONE KNOWS NEW ZEALAND DAIRY PRODUCTS ARE SUPERIOR.

Also, you missed Greece for giving the world (an albeit flawed idea of) democracy.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 am

You forgot Russia.

Russian driving videos are the best.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:08 am

Finland SSR wrote:You forgot Russia.

Some of the stuff you see happening over there in those videos is just so random. I saw one video last year of a fricking battle tank crashing its way through a mound of snow and onto a highway. Then everyone just drove on as if nothing happened, it must be a common occurrence or something.

though a serious answer for russia would be all the science related stuff they have done, periodic table, space program, all that good stuff.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Gyrenaica
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gyrenaica » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 am

Top 3 are German, Scotland and the United States of America.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:10 am

Drama is the only thing you could associate with Greece? And poetry with France? Also, you credit Italy (the country which had 60 governments in 60 years) with political administration?
Meh, I don't like your list.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

East Westmore
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby East Westmore » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 am

You forgot about America being the best at being the best

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:13 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:You forgot Russia.

Some of the stuff you see happening over there in those videos is just so random. I saw one video last year of a fricking battle tank crashing its way through a mound of snow and onto a highway. Then everyone just drove on as if nothing happened, it must be a common occurrence or something.

though a serious answer for russia would be all the science related stuff they have done, periodic table, space program, all that good stuff.

I would have thought something about defending their country from large invasions (since they have done that a lot throughout history).
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Canada: outstanding product quality. Their milk products are the finest in the world.

LIES AND SLANDER! EVERYONE KNOWS NEW ZEALAND DAIRY PRODUCTS ARE SUPERIOR.

Also, you missed Greece for giving the world (an albeit flawed idea of) democracy.

True. I should change the poll, but fear destroying it or spoiling the current votes. So just consider this reply to constitute and emendation.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Some of the stuff you see happening over there in those videos is just so random. I saw one video last year of a fricking battle tank crashing its way through a mound of snow and onto a highway. Then everyone just drove on as if nothing happened, it must be a common occurrence or something.

I would have thought something about defending their country from large invasions (since they have done that a lot throughout history).

Yeah but so have a lot of countries, and one of the first things i think of when i look at Russia is all of the Academic and Scientific research and inventions they have done throughout history.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Rebellious Fishermen
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rebellious Fishermen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

I like England, China, and Egypt.

I based it more off of history then anything else with culture wrapped in.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:17 am

Baltenstein wrote:Drama is the only thing you could associate with Greece? And poetry with France? Also, you credit Italy (the country which had 60 governments in 60 years) with political administration?
Meh, I don't like your list.

So come up with your own, but my rule of thumb to which I attempted to adhere was to find THE ONE thing per country that stood out to me.

If I listed more than one, the first would still constitute that ONE.

So go ahead, name other singular strengths.

See, we spend so much time and effort tearing things down and ignoring truly positive accomplishments.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 am

You didn't say that you wanted THE ONE most important thing the respective country contributed to world. In that case, I'd say Automotor technology for Germany, the Age of Enlightment for France, the Rennaissance for Italy, State institutions for Rome, Classical philosophy for Greece, papyrus for Egypt, gunpowder for China, space flight for Russia, aviation for America and natural science for England.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am

We owe a ton to Japan, India, and China in terms of culture, to the Arabic world in terms of mathematics, and Europe for science.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 am

The best things the United States has contributed:

1) Military support for Europe, Japan, and South Korea (disregarding engagements in other parts of the world).
2) Scientific Innovations
3) Being a main player in creating the Internet.
4) Many actors, authors, poets, etc.
5) Cultural Influence

If I had to pick one, it would be point one or point three.
Born again free market capitalist.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:13 am

Pope Joan wrote:

Please explain why/how we are tolerant? Slavery until 1873. Pillarisation until the 1960s (pillarisation is the segregation of the dutch society along religious / social-economic base: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarisation).

I'm not seeing it that much, unfortunately.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:22 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Please explain why/how we are tolerant? Slavery until 1873. Pillarisation until the 1960s (pillarisation is the segregation of the dutch society along religious / social-economic base: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarisation).

Well, at least you guys had the Republic to your credit.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 am

Russia should be credited with one of the most definitive inventions of the 20th century: rebar.

If it weren't for that, skyscrapers that make up cities like New York wouldn't exist.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 am

Czechanada wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Well, at least you guys had the Republic to your credit.

Fuck the Dutch Republic.

Half my family, and also where I was born, was nothing but a buffer zone against Spain/France. We had nothing to say in how we were governed.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:32 am

I think the Aviation base in the US is probably one of our greatest strengths.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 am

Before people think "Blaat does not like his country", nah, it's fine.

Here's an invention of great importance:

The stock exchange.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:36 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Before people think "Blaat does not like his country", nah, it's fine.

The stock exchange.

Well, the Dutch were the most difficult country to start as in Sid Meier's Pirates.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:39 am

Czechanada wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Before people think "Blaat does not like his country", nah, it's fine.

The stock exchange.

Well, the Dutch were the most difficult country to start as in Sid Meier's Pirates.

I always found them quite easy. Merchantman 8)

The french on the other hand...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General