NATION

PASSWORD

Our Own Devices (Alt History, New World) OOC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Uragarr
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Our Own Devices (Alt History, New World) OOC

Postby Uragarr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Our Own Devices

Prologue
In the Old World a new war rages, alliances shift and change on a monthly basis. But you don't get to be part of that, while you may have concerns for Europe, Europe has no concerns for you. Poor insignificant colonies, your parents don't care about you anymore. The great powers withdrew all warships and most of their troops from America to aid in the conflict. Then one day, the supply shipments stopped coming, another few months past. And that's when you realised, you were all alone. But perhaps you're not a colony that has had to adapt quickly to this change, perhaps you are a tribe of the true people. Ready to take back the lands those the interlopers stole from you. Well go on, whatever you are, make the New World your own!

Intro
So in case you didn't realise, this RP will be centred around what occurs in North and South America when the colonies and Native Americans are left by the European powers. It is up to you to decide the path your nation will take.

Historical Accuracy
Firstly the "great war" going on in Europe, is not based on reality and has no particular cause or logic. The jist of it is that the European powers no longer have the capacity nor will to maintain the governance of their American colonies. And for the purposes of this RP, the nations in Europe are the same as reality but not the colonies. Spain and Portugal still got out there first, but they could have empires in New England or Canada. So it is perfectly allowable for your colonial nation to be a kingdom of Frenchmen living in Brazil.

Resources
Due to the fact that the colonies have been abandoned by the European powers, your resources (especially things like gunpowder and metals) will be very limited. The war also makes it difficult to for merchant ships to cross the Atlantic. At the start, each colony will have enough gunpowder for around 2 major wars using it. It is up to you whether you decide to save it for the late game, or use it up on early expansion. But once it's used up, it'll be very hard to get some more unless you trade. This goes for all major resources that are difficult to produce locally. Occasionally one ship may slink across the Atlantic, but that is completely up to me, don't expect any help from mummy Europe.

Contact
You will have little to no contact with Europe, this means the colonists of your nation will have only a shadowy idea about the progress of the war. Occasionally a merchant ship might arrive bringing news, but that is also up to me.

Populations=Very Small
Nation Size=Very Small

Note, at some point if we go on far enough, the war might finish and the Europeans will return to reclaim their possessions.

Colonist App
Name of Colony:
Population:
Government Form:
Leader/s:
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc):
Dominant Ethnicity:
Minor Ethnicities:
Does your nation still hope to obey the motherland:
Military Size and Makeup:
Religion:
Navy(No Warships!):
Primary Industries:
History:
Land Claimed(preferably map):

Native American App
Name:
Population:
Government Form:
Leader/s:
Population:
Military Size and Makeup:
Religion:
Does your tribe cooperate with Europeans:
Primary Trading Goods:
History:

My App
Colonist App
Name of Colony: The New Dublin Republic
Population: 50,000
Government Form: Unicameral Representative Democracy
Leader/s: Grand Chairman Peter McCarmical
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc): England
Dominant Ethnicity: Irish
Minor Ethnicities: Scottish, Welsh, English
Does your nation still hope to obey the motherland: No
Military Size (5% of pop) and Makeup: 25,000, mostly militia men trained in the use of muskets, swords and pikes
Religion:Roman Catholic
Navy(No Warships!):40 converted merchant ships
Primary Industries:Fishing, backed up by a reasonable agricultural sector
History:
New Dublin began as a small colonial venture backed by the English government. The Crown, at this point unable to find willing colonists from its provinces, decided to turn to it's Irish possessions. This attracted a wealth of destitute Irish catholics, searching for a better life. Sadly for the English rulers of New Dublin, they failed to realise the damages these ethnic and religious differences would cause. Overtime, New Dublin grew into a successful colony, still dominated predominately by a celtic population that was slowly being crushed under the burden of harsh taxation and foreign rule. These tensions came to a head, when the English withdrew the majority of their troops to join the war, leaving only a token force in the hands of the incompetent governor. As soon as this was realised by the population, a quick rebellion was all that was needed to seize control of the colony. The rebels even managed to conquer neighbouring territories as well, driving away the English. Overtime a primitive legislature was erected, and New Dublin prepared to begin a life of its own.

Land Claimed(preferably map):Already on Map

Map: http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/NikoS ... 8.png.html
IC: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=312568
Last edited by Uragarr on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:15 pm

Bump
Political Compass

Austro Hungarian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austro Hungarian » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:30 pm

looks cool im tag and work on a bio
Click here to join my role plays:
None at this moment.

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 am

Austro Hungarian wrote:looks cool im tag and work on a bio

Thanks for interest
Political Compass

The Eastern Antarctic State
Minister

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 am

Tag, is it possible to make new Netherland?
This ensues
The Republic of Eastern Antarctica is a country located on the Eastern portion of the Antarctic Continent, Has leftist policies, but is still capitalist.

NOTE: I am an Australian.
I enjoy playing/watching Cricket and Rugby League every now and then. Love me some history and paradox games. Studying at University. Catholic. You can call me TEAS or EAS

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 am

The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Tag, is it possible to make new Netherland?

Yup, completely possible
Political Compass

Free Brisbane
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Brisbane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 am

Colonist App
Name of Colony: Campos Verdes
Population: 30 000
Government Form: Absolute Monarchy; Kingdom
Leader/s: Carlos De Nueva
Founding Country (France, Spain Etc): Spain
Dominant Ethnicity: Spanish
Minor Ethnicities: Portuguese, French, English, Native, Other Catholic
Military Size and Makeup: Hastly armed militia, mainly armed with farming equipment, daggers and primitive muskets
Religion: Roman Catholic
Navy (No Warships!): 30 ships that were considered outdated by the Spanish fleet and abandoned, left to rot, in the beginnings of simple ports.
Primary Industries: Agriculture and beef farming, silver mining and small fishing communities.
History: Campos Verdes (Spanish: Green Fields) was founded when conquistadors landed in the Northern Patagonian region, they braved the harsh Southern Hemisphere winter in search of riches such as gold and silver. Campos Verdes was originally designated to be a temporary base camp while more fertile land was conquered, however after silver was discovered in a near by mountain, Europeans hoping to find a fortune flocked to the site. As more colonists arrived they were attacked the natives of the area, the Spanish monarchy send a small amount of trained soldiers to exterminate the threat. The natives had a choice join the colony or be killed, so most packed up their goods and travelled Campos Verdes. As the seasons changed to spring, the ground thawed to reveal fertile grassland, perfect for the breeding and management of cattle, the beasts that survived the original voyage to the new world flourished. However Spain decided to withdraw its military from Campos Verdes with the rising tensions in Europe, leaving the colonists with no protection, it is now up them to defy a now eminent native opposition with left over supplies and harness the tough soil to wield crops if they wish to survive the next winter.
Land claimed: The lower teal coloured nation
Last edited by Free Brisbane on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am an Australian, 15 years old, liberal catholic, Labour Party Supporter and Asthmatic. Apparently I'm smart and have been getting straight A's in high school so far. My ancestors are from the British Isles but mainly from Ireland
Official Member of The International Whaling Commission
"We are committed to stopping cruelty to those who cannot speak the peace!"
They say friendship is the only ship that can't sink. Well here is PROOF that it has already sunk

AUSTRALIAN AND PROUD, MATE!

Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 am

Uragarr wrote:
The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Tag, is it possible to make new Netherland?

Yup, completely possible

Actually I'll make some Dutch Guianas

My app will be up tomorrow.
Last edited by The Eastern Antarctic State on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
This ensues
The Republic of Eastern Antarctica is a country located on the Eastern portion of the Antarctic Continent, Has leftist policies, but is still capitalist.

I enjoy playing/watching Cricket and Rugby League every now and then. Love me some history and paradox games. Studying at University. Catholic. You can call me TEAS or EAS

Austro Hungarian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Austro Hungarian » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 am

Colonist App
Name of Colony: The Independent State of FalconHolt
Population: 40,000
Government Form: Dictatorship
Leader/s: Supreme Commander Walter Frederick
Dominant Ethnicity: English
Minor Ethnicities: Welsh
Military Size (5% of pop) and Makeup: 17,000, Mostly made up of everyday men ready to serve as a militia if needed to they are trained to use halberd, short sword, and musket rifles
Religion: Religious Freedom
Navy(No Warships!):20 Merchants shipped that have cannons equipped to them.
Primary Industries: Fishing, Tobacco, and Sugar Cane plantation

History:
The Independent State of FalconHolt started as a small colonial its origins began when the English Crown wanted to expand its empire into the new world. They advertise heavily about new riches discovered in a unexplored world claiming that you can make a better life for your self overseas. Over the years the FalconHolt became a thriving colony filled with much wealth and life, rebellion was soon to be when the English Crown began to heavily tax every export and import that was begin sent to England. The heavy taxing on FalconHolt made the citizens angry and they rised up to the soldiers that were stationed by the crown and forced them into banishment thus forming the Independent State of FalconHolt. The leader of this rebellion Walter Frederick, is named the leader of the newly independent colony and under his rule his words is the law.

Land Claimed: The Purple

If I need to change anything let me know.
Last edited by Austro Hungarian on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
None at this moment.

Martian Priesthood
Secretary

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Martian Priesthood » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 am

OCC: I will try this tomorrow!
-------+Incoming Transmission+----------
Archmagos: Augustus-Maximus-Bastion
Lord of the Martian Priesthood of the Arcadian Forgeworld
Citizen of The Pacific
Subject of Emperor Pierconium
--------
Hammer of the Cog
Child of Mars
-----
"All praise the Omessiah"
"Vengeance for the Fallen"
-------+Transmission Ending+-----------

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:32 am

Name of Colony: The Republic of Mississippi
Population: 12,432
Government Form: Senatorial Republic (Run by Democratically Elected Senators)
Leader/s: The Mississippi Senate
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc): Colonists from numerous nations
Dominant Ethnicity: Caucasians (French, Spanish and English)
Minor Ethnicities: Native Americans, Africans
Military Size and Makeup: 1,500 Militiamen run by local governments, armament ranges from high-end muskets to farm equipment. There is a small formal military of 250 men, but they are mainly stationed in the Capital of Strongrock.
Religion: Christianity, although other religions are tolerated
Navy(No Warships!): 25 Galleons to patrol the waters
Primary Industries: Cotton, Firearms and Poultry
History: The year was 1672, and many were tired of the oppressiveness of the mother nations of the colonies, decentralized groups wanting a freer society, free from the chains of authoritarianism and religious control appeared, and soon discreetly convened in the Colony of Virginia and decided that moving to a new place would be a better option for freedom than a costly rebellion. They chose Mississippi as the place to start a new Republic. 1,000 people went on their trek south to Mississippi, and 763 survived, but still settled in Mississippi and built the Republic. Soon, rumors were flying around of a Republic like the old Roman Republic, and by 1700, Mississippi had almost 12,500 people, and around half of them came directly from Europe. Currently, Native Americans and minority religions tend to be tolerated, whilst Africans are slaves and indentured servants. The economy heavily runs off of agriculture and firearms while many more people hear the rumors of a free Republic.
http://i58.tinypic.com/518rx0.jpg
Last edited by Republic of Coldwater on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Colonist App
Name of Colony: Suriname
Population: 34000
Government Form: Elective governorship
Leader/s: Governor William Rejiak
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc): The Netherlands
Dominant Ethnicity: European (60%)
Minor Ethnicities: African, (slaves), Native Population, Mezito
Does your nation still hope to obey the motherland: yes
Military Size and Makeup: 10,000 Standing Armed forces.
The majority (8000) is Lightly trained militia armed with swords and Spears.
Around 1250 trained guards are equipped with muskets left by Dutch infantry that stayed behind. There is a small cavalry force of 750 units which mainly are not used. Cannons are stationed around the capital () which are used for defence.
Religion: Calvinistic Christianity
Navy(No Warships!): 25 converted fishing and merchant ships.
Primary Industries:
Suriname produces large amounts of Sugar, Tobacco, Cotton and coffee. These are valuable good with the ability to produce large amounts of money.
History:1667, Britain and The Netherlands sign a treaty transferring all control of New Amsterdam to the British and the Guianas (Suriname) to the Dutch. 1687, Profits start to come out of Suriname due to the valuable crops produced. Money created by the Colony is re-invested into the plantations allowing for better machines to process crops and defences.
In 1690, the Dutch government was worried about the amount of Africans and natives in Suriname, thinking that they would stir up rebellion and overthrow the colonial administrators. As away to counteract this, the government subsidised for free settlers to come to Suriname to increase the white population and to make them work until they paid off there fare. This is why the European population is so high. When the Netherlands withdrew, the colonists made an agreement to stay loyal to the Dutch government and to rejoin once they returned.
Land Claimed(preferably map): This
This ensues

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Free Brisbane wrote:Colonist App
Name of Colony: Campos Verdes
Population: 30 000
Government Form: Absolute Monarchy; Kingdom
Leader/s: Carlos De Nueva
Founding Country (France, Spain Etc): Spain
Dominant Ethnicity: Spanish
Minor Ethnicities: Portuguese, French, English, Native, Other Catholic
Military Size and Makeup: Hastly armed militia, mainly armed with farming equipment, daggers and primitive muskets
Religion: Roman Catholic
Navy (No Warships!): 30 ships that were considered outdated by the Spanish fleet and abandoned, left to rot, in the beginnings of simple ports.
Primary Industries: Agriculture and beef farming, silver mining and small fishing communities.
History: Campos Verdes (Spanish: Green Fields) was founded when conquistadors landed in the Northern Patagonian region, they braved the harsh Southern Hemisphere winter in search of riches such as gold and silver. Campos Verdes was originally designated to be a temporary base camp while more fertile land was conquered, however after silver was discovered in a near by mountain, Europeans hoping to find a fortune flocked to the site. As more colonists arrived they were attacked the natives of the area, the Spanish monarchy send a small amount of trained soldiers to exterminate the threat. The natives had a choice join the colony or be killed, so most packed up their goods and travelled Campos Verdes. As the seasons changed to spring, the ground thawed to reveal fertile grassland, perfect for the breeding and management of cattle, the beasts that survived the original voyage to the new world flourished. However Spain decided to withdraw its military from Campos Verdes with the rising tensions in Europe, leaving the colonists with no protection, it is now up them to defy a now eminent native opposition with left over supplies and harness the tough soil to wield crops if they wish to survive the next winter.
Land claimed: The lower teal coloured nation

Accepted
Political Compass

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Austro Hungarian wrote:Colonist App
Name of Colony: The Independent State of FalconHolt
Population: 40,000
Government Form: Dictatorship
Leader/s: Supreme Commander Walter Frederick
Dominant Ethnicity: English
Minor Ethnicities: Welsh
Military Size (5% of pop) and Makeup: 17,000, Mostly made up of everyday men ready to serve as a militia if needed to they are trained to use halberd, short sword, and musket rifles
Religion: Religious Freedom
Navy(No Warships!):20 Merchants shipped that have cannons equipped to them.
Primary Industries: Fishing, Tobacco, and Sugar Cane plantation

History:
The Independent State of FalconHolt started as a small colonial its origins began when the English Crown wanted to expand its empire into the new world. They advertise heavily about new riches discovered in a unexplored world claiming that you can make a better life for your self overseas. Over the years the FalconHolt became a thriving colony filled with much wealth and life, rebellion was soon to be when the English Crown began to heavily tax every export and import that was begin sent to England. The heavy taxing on FalconHolt made the citizens angry and they rised up to the soldiers that were stationed by the crown and forced them into banishment thus forming the Independent State of FalconHolt. The leader of this rebellion Walter Frederick, is named the leader of the newly independent colony and under his rule his words is the law.

Land Claimed: The Purple

If I need to change anything let me know.

Accepted
Political Compass

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Name of Colony: The Republic of Mississippi
Population: 12,432
Government Form: Senatorial Republic (Run by Democratically Elected Senators)
Leader/s: The Mississippi Senate
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc): Colonists from numerous nations
Dominant Ethnicity: Caucasians (French, Spanish and English)
Minor Ethnicities: Native Americans, Africans
Military Size and Makeup: 1,500 Militiamen run by local governments, armament ranges from high-end muskets to farm equipment. There is a small formal military of 250 men, but they are mainly stationed in the Capital of Strongrock.
Religion: Christianity, although other religions are tolerated
Navy(No Warships!): 25 Galleons to patrol the waters
Primary Industries: Cotton, Firearms and Poultry
History: The year was 1672, and many were tired of the oppressiveness of the mother nations of the colonies, decentralized groups wanting a freer society, free from the chains of authoritarianism and religious control appeared, and soon discreetly convened in the Colony of Virginia and decided that moving to a new place would be a better option for freedom than a costly rebellion. They chose Mississippi as the place to start a new Republic. 1,000 people went on their trek south to Mississippi, and 763 survived, but still settled in Mississippi and built the Republic. Soon, rumors were flying around of a Republic like the old Roman Republic, and by 1700, Mississippi had almost 12,500 people, and around half of them came directly from Europe. Currently, Native Americans and minority religions tend to be tolerated, whilst Africans are slaves and indentured servants. The economy heavily runs off of agriculture and firearms while many more people hear the rumors of a free Republic.
http://i58.tinypic.com/518rx0.jpg

Accepted
Political Compass

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 pm

The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Colonist App
Name of Colony: Suriname
Population: 34000
Government Form: Elective governorship
Leader/s: Governor William Rejiak
Founding Country(France, Spain Etc): The Netherlands
Dominant Ethnicity: European (60%)
Minor Ethnicities: African, (slaves), Native Population, Mezito
Does your nation still hope to obey the motherland: yes
Military Size and Makeup: 10,000 Standing Armed forces.
The majority (8000) is Lightly trained militia armed with swords and Spears.
Around 1250 trained guards are equipped with muskets left by Dutch infantry that stayed behind. There is a small cavalry force of 750 units which mainly are not used. Cannons are stationed around the capital () which are used for defence.
Religion: Calvinistic Christianity
Navy(No Warships!): 25 converted fishing and merchant ships.
Primary Industries:
Suriname produces large amounts of Sugar, Tobacco, Cotton and coffee. These are valuable good with the ability to produce large amounts of money.
History:1667, Britain and The Netherlands sign a treaty transferring all control of New Amsterdam to the British and the Guianas (Suriname) to the Dutch. 1687, Profits start to come out of Suriname due to the valuable crops produced. Money created by the Colony is re-invested into the plantations allowing for better machines to process crops and defences.
In 1690, the Dutch government was worried about the amount of Africans and natives in Suriname, thinking that they would stir up rebellion and overthrow the colonial administrators. As away to counteract this, the government subsidised for free settlers to come to Suriname to increase the white population and to make them work until they paid off there fare. This is why the European population is so high. When the Netherlands withdrew, the colonists made an agreement to stay loyal to the Dutch government and to rejoin once they returned.
Land Claimed(preferably map): This

Accepted
Political Compass

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:49 pm

I'll get ic up soon
Political Compass

Free Brisbane
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Brisbane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Can't wait
I am an Australian, 15 years old, liberal catholic, Labour Party Supporter and Asthmatic. Apparently I'm smart and have been getting straight A's in high school so far. My ancestors are from the British Isles but mainly from Ireland
They say friendship is the only ship that can't sink. Well here is PROOF that it has already sunk

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Political Compass

Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Writing mine up now! Also, could you update the map?
This ensues

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 pm

The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Writing mine up now! Also, could you update the map?

I'll try but i'll get my post up first
Political Compass

Free Brisbane
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Brisbane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Done my first post

Uragarr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Uragarr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Map Update: http://imgur.com/NBHxd7N

Notes: I've made the borders of Mississippi a bit bigger so it fits with this model of map.

I've also changed everyones colours

A note on NPC's, please consider most unclaimed land to be filled with ether abandoned colonies, or native Americans.
Last edited by Uragarr on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass

Austro Hungarian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Austro Hungarian » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:01 am

Free Brisbane wrote:Done my first post

I read your post about sending ships up north how about you come into contact with my colony?

I have picked Cuba as my starting place so looking at the map I would say wait a few months until the contact that's if you want to do that
None at this moment.

Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:03 am

Uragarr wrote:Map Update: http://imgur.com/NBHxd7N

Notes: I've made the borders of Mississippi a bit bigger so it fits with this model of map.

I've also changed everyones colours

A note on NPC's, please consider most unclaimed land to be filled with ether abandoned colonies, or native Americans.

Looks good!

Any query about my posts?
This ensues

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse