NATION

PASSWORD

The Ft. Emmerson Incident OOC/Discussion (Civil War Zombies)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

The Ft. Emmerson Incident OOC/Discussion (Civil War Zombies)

Postby SaintB » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 pm

IC: IC

I'm not going to pretend like its never been done before but I want to start an RP with Zombies during the American Civil War where the Union and Confederacy work together to eliminate the undead menace before returning to their attempts at mutual elimination. I'll admit its currently just a half baked idea. I'll also admit that since I'm really busy and at work I can't make the plot for this until later.

But darnit! Zombies and the bloodiest conflict in American history! The more I think about it the more I like it so if I get what I feel is sufficient interest I'll bang out a real plot and start an actual RP about this. So P2TM, y'all interested?

Plot!
Unknown Confederate Colonel to General PGT Beauregard - July 23, 1861 wrote:Ft. Emmerson is a small hamlet of roughly 200 souls nestled in the Shenandoah River Valley of the State of Virginia somewhat less than five miles South of the Maryland border. In the years immediately proceeding the War of 1812 there was some buildup of American Military Forces which included a chain of small forts in the Shenandoah Valley to protect what was seen as a vital agricultural resource of the burgeoning young democracy and among those forts was Fort Emmerson. The original red brick fort was completed in 1818 and housed some 500 American soldiers and a village grew up inside the protective shadow of the fort that was originally settled by the workmen who helped build it. By 1824 the town had reached the height of its population with nearly 1,200 souls (including the compliment of soldiers) and the locals mainly made their living by farming cotton, tobacco, and corn but by 1829 the fort had been shut down and many of the town's folk along with it.
Now General I would personally find the history of this town irrelevant if not for the strategic boon that a revitalized Ft. Emmerson may provide us in the conflict we now find ourselves embroiled in with the Federalists to our North. After your victory at Manassas Junction I believe it is best to advise you that we use our current initiative to send my regiment as a detachment to rebuild the old fortification post haste to ensure our hold over this most important region in the coming trials.
- Sincerely Yours
*Illegible*

Since it was 'reconstructed' by the CSA in September of 1861 Ft. Emmerson has changed hands almost a dozen times since the war began though it has never fallen under direct attack. The occupying force tends to withdraw as enemy forces approach and the new occupants move in. It is the 19 of June in the year 1863 and the fort which is a kind of ramshackle affair of wood and dirt filling in the holes in the original brick and mortar construction is currently occupied by the Union but is chronically understaffed with less than a company's worth of soldiers currently manning it. Recently a regiment of rugged veterans numbering about 460 men was detached from The Army of Northern Virginia to reclaim the fort for the Confederacy after being victorious against the Union garrison in Winchester two days ago, they should have arrived already...
Locals have always told stories of the curses lain down a century ago by the Rickohocken Indian tribes that once lived here on their sacred burial mounds before they left the land to the white man... the 67th Alabama Volunteers' route would have taken them right through the heart of that supposed cursed sight. That's just superstition right? I'm sure them Alabama boys will be showing up in Emmerson real soon and then there will be hell to pay.

Character Sign Up
Just copy and paste the form below into a post and delete everything in parenthesis while your typing.

Code: Select all
[b]Player: [/b](Nation name)
[b]Character:[/b] (Character name)
[b]Concept:[/b] (Are you a soldier for the Union or Confederacy? A local farmer? A Spy? A politician? A bushwhacker? Whatever you did before the undead came goes here.)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Description, picture, or both)
[b]Bio:[/b] (Some back story for your character)
[b]Possessions:[/b] (Your important stuff, make sure its period appropriate)

My App/Sample Character
Player: SaintB
Character: Major Kermit M. Quimby
Concept: Union Officer
Appearance:

Bio: Kermit M. Quimby was born in Lebanon, KY on April 27 of the year 1837. His father was a newspaper editor and Kermit's early life was comfortable enough that his parents could afford to send him to boarding school where he did well in academia but was found to be truly gifted as an athlete. At the age of 18 Kermit applied to the West Point Military Academy and was accepted. He graduated in the middle of his class but his skill as a horseman helped him gain a coveted position in the cavalry and spent most of the subsequent years (1859-1861) securing the western frontier from the Sioux Indians.
After the attack on Fort Sumter Lt. Quimby's unit was recalled to the east but he did not arrive in time to take part in the early part of the war and missed most of the important battles of that period. After participating in several raids and reconnaissance missions he was promoted to Captain just in time to take command of his company before the Battle of Gaine's Mills. Gaine's Mills would prove to be Captain Quimby's first and only taste of action when a mini ball struck his left arm at the elbow while his company tried to destroy a footbridge the Confederates could use to cross a ravine. If he had not seen his mission through his arm may have been saved but he lead his company in the demolition while under fire for the better part of an hour and the damage from continued use of his injured arm necessitated that a surgeon had to amputate the entire forearm - Kermit's career as a battlefield commander was over. After recovering from surgery Kermit was awarded with a brevet promotion to Major and now serves in the Telegraph Corps where he oversees efforts to construct and maintain telegraph the lines that have become so vital to the Union's War effort.
Major Kermit Quimby has earned a reputation as a hard drinker and rumors have spread about a possible opium addiction that he developed after losing his arm but he is still widely regarded as a good officer who completes his assignments on time and his subordinates respect him for being fair and concise with his orders. He makes it no secret that he still believes that he would be a greater boon to the war effort on the front lines even with one arm and has practiced firing, reloading, and even cleaning his service revolver until he is nearly as fast at using it as able bodied man. He dreams of being assigned back to the front and so keeps his saddle oiled, his revolver clean, and his saber ready to cut the flesh of traitors to the Union.
Possessions:US Model 1840 Cavalry Sabre with scabbard, Remington-Beals Army Model Revolver with three extra cylinders.

Guidelines for The Undead
Being bitten or wounded by one of them does not equate to a guarantee of death.
They are fast, capable of sprinting and moving with human like dexterity.
Unless another source of food presents itself the first thing they do is chew off their own lips and tongue.
They will attack any living thing but prefer humans.
Destroying their heart or decapitating them kills them again. Major head wounds seem to make them become inactive but they soon recover.

More will be revealed as the IC moves on.

Please try to follow these in your IC posts.

Q/A
I always forget things in my rush to get my OPs done and new things always come up so I will put questions and answers here after answering them in a post.

Accepted Apps
Major Kermit M. Quimby - SaintB
Elizabeth Lorraine "Bloody Liz" Delacroix - Rudaslavia
Corporal Leroy Fortis - Fiery Armageddon
Major Malcolm Walker - Cylarn
Sean "Tecumseh" McKinley - Krajstali
Arezu Atiyah - The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Albert von Saxen-Gotha - GCCS
Nicolas H. O'Leinster - Alouite
Last edited by SaintB on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Anybody?
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm down! But only if the "zombies" are not actually undead, but instead living people infected with some sort of rabid-like virus (such as those seen in the movie World War Z...because those running bastards were lethal). That would make everything waaay more crazy and entertaining. :)
Friends call me "Rud."

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:12 pm

It would also be cool if the Union and Confederacy were still fighting, perhaps they also have a type of "Cold War" for a Vaccine/Cure to the zombie virus/whatever.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Pandeeria wrote:It would also be cool if the Union and Confederacy were still fighting, perhaps they also have a type of "Cold War" for a Vaccine/Cure to the zombie virus/whatever.

Agreed. That would be cool.
Friends call me "Rud."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Rudaslavia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:It would also be cool if the Union and Confederacy were still fighting, perhaps they also have a type of "Cold War" for a Vaccine/Cure to the zombie virus/whatever.

Agreed. That would be cool.

Except that vaccines were not often public funded at the time, the only country that actively worked to create vaccines (To my knowledge) was the French Republic, in fact, the majority of people didn't believe in vaccines, they would probably assume that god was punishing them from the civil war and just barricade themselves in a church. In fact, a disease like this couldn't even remotely have a chance of being cured until 1951 when Henrietta Lacks's cancer tumor was successfully grown in a scientific environment, the only way you could cure a disease like a zombie virus. After all, you'd need to test cures on cell samples and test the virus's weaknesses by implanting the disease in cells to see how it behaves. Thus the only way to defeat the zombies in this situation is extermination. Not a far fetched and impossible idea like searching for a vaccine and cure.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Skaldia
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaldia » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Alouite wrote:
Rudaslavia wrote:Agreed. That would be cool.

Except that vaccines were not often public funded at the time, the only country that actively worked to create vaccines (To my knowledge) was the French Republic, in fact, the majority of people didn't believe in vaccines, they would probably assume that god was punishing them from the civil war and just barricade themselves in a church. In fact, a disease like this couldn't even remotely have a chance of being cured until 1951 when Henrietta Lacks's cancer tumor was successfully grown in a scientific environment, the only way you could cure a disease like a zombie virus. After all, you'd need to test cures on cell samples and test the virus's weaknesses by implanting the disease in cells to see how it behaves. Thus the only way to defeat the zombies in this situation is extermination. Not a far fetched and impossible idea like searching for a vaccine and cure.

I agree with your assessment and believe that the best way to approach this RP is if the zombies were more closely akin to the original Walking Dead instead of the runners seen in movies such as World War Z (which in the novel they were not runners). If you have runners they will quickly overrun a country where the best weapon at the time is single-shot rifles.
||Empty||
||“The lesson of history is that no one learns.”
||Empty||
||“Witness.”||
||“Chaos needs no allies, for it dwells like a poison in every one of us.”

TG for Discord

KAS SRD
Attaché

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KAS SRD » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Zombies plus civil war? Why not! For that matter, lets make also make the CSA Werewolves and the Union Vampires? Three way monster showdown!

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Skaldia wrote:
Alouite wrote:Except that vaccines were not often public funded at the time, the only country that actively worked to create vaccines (To my knowledge) was the French Republic, in fact, the majority of people didn't believe in vaccines, they would probably assume that god was punishing them from the civil war and just barricade themselves in a church. In fact, a disease like this couldn't even remotely have a chance of being cured until 1951 when Henrietta Lacks's cancer tumor was successfully grown in a scientific environment, the only way you could cure a disease like a zombie virus. After all, you'd need to test cures on cell samples and test the virus's weaknesses by implanting the disease in cells to see how it behaves. Thus the only way to defeat the zombies in this situation is extermination. Not a far fetched and impossible idea like searching for a vaccine and cure.

I agree with your assessment and believe that the best way to approach this RP is if the zombies were more closely akin to the original Walking Dead instead of the runners seen in movies such as World War Z (which in the novel they were not runners). If you have runners they will quickly overrun a country where the best weapon at the time is single-shot rifles.

True, good point.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 pm

KAS SRD wrote:Zombies plus civil war? Why not! For that matter, lets make also make the CSA Werewolves and the Union Vampires? Three way monster showdown!

Knock off your darn trolling.
Hyman Minsky

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Skaldia wrote:I agree with your assessment and believe that the best way to approach this RP is if the zombies were more closely akin to the original Walking Dead instead of the runners seen in movies such as World War Z (which in the novel they were not runners). If you have runners they will quickly overrun a country where the best weapon at the time is single-shot rifles.

But, in a time period in which much of the population was armed and the United States was split into two highly militarized nations, walking zombies would be exterminated quicker than one could imagine. Runners are the bringers of an imminent apocalypse. They're harder to kill and rapidly multiply. That's true danger.
Friends call me "Rud."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 am

Rudaslavia wrote:
Skaldia wrote:I agree with your assessment and believe that the best way to approach this RP is if the zombies were more closely akin to the original Walking Dead instead of the runners seen in movies such as World War Z (which in the novel they were not runners). If you have runners they will quickly overrun a country where the best weapon at the time is single-shot rifles.

But, in a time period in which much of the population was armed and the United States was split into two highly militarized nations, walking zombies would be exterminated quicker than one could imagine. Runners are the bringers of an imminent apocalypse. They're harder to kill and rapidly multiply. That's true danger.

Not really, if we're going Walking Dead style then even if not bitten, you become a walker when you die. So, those who are dying of fevers, colds, common flus, and war all end up adding to the population. If the battle of gettysburg happened then there will be a horde in pennsylvania alone.
Hyman Minsky

Blobovia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blobovia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 am

I might be interested, but I'm going on vacation next week, plus, like you I have a lot at work, plus other RP:s, so I may not join right away. Reseve a spot though.

Personally, I prefer cursed zombies, like in "Dead Snow" or classic voodoo. Given the setting, I don't find it unlikely that a black witch doctor originally unleashes the plague to punish slave owners and slave traders, and then things get out of hand and turns ugly.
Last edited by Blobovia on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 am

Definitely interested. In regards to the whole debate; if we have runners we won't stand a chance. The rifles at this time could get off about 3 rounds a minute, and that's only if the operator is skilled. Fighting walkers is going to be difficult enough.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:13 am

Blobovia wrote:I might be interested, but I'm going on vacation next week, plus, like you I have a lot at work, plus other RP:s, so I may not join right away. Reseve a spot though.

Personally, I prefer cursed zombies, like in "Dead Snow" or classic voodoo. Given the setting, I don't find it unlikely that a black witch doctor originally unleashes the plague to punish slave owners and slave traders, and then things get out of hand and turns ugly.

Please no. Im fine with Walking Dead Zombies or Runner Zombies, but please don't have Black Magic zombies please.

Alouite wrote:
Rudaslavia wrote:But, in a time period in which much of the population was armed and the United States was split into two highly militarized nations, walking zombies would be exterminated quicker than one could imagine. Runners are the bringers of an imminent apocalypse. They're harder to kill and rapidly multiply. That's true danger.

Not really, if we're going Walking Dead style then even if not bitten, you become a walker when you die. So, those who are dying of fevers, colds, common flus, and war all end up adding to the population. If the battle of gettysburg happened then there will be a horde in pennsylvania alone.

Then you literally just defeat yourself with your own argument. You said if you have runners where the best weapon available is a single-shot rifle they'll overrun the country, but you ignore that if everyone that dies turns they'll bulldoze through the country.

I think fast running zombies would be the best. They're far more interesting, especially with the limited technology of the time, the humans would have a chance at winning (if everyone that dies turns, during the civil war, the humans would be screwed), and would be more fun to post about in my opinion (would posting about a bunch of guys shooting slow walking fools in the head be more fun then posting about a bunch of guys desperately fleeing as they slowly try to hold off a horde of quick running maniacs trying to jump and dodge their gun shots)?

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Krajstali
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Krajstali » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:16 am

Virus Zombies are indeed the best choice.

How-about we stick to the Era and do a sort of Oregon Trail with Zombies? :)
It will probably be Last of Us-ish but giving it a shot wouldn't hurt.
forgive me god it's time to go back to the old me

Blobovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blobovia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:20 am

Pandeeria wrote:
Blobovia wrote:I might be interested, but I'm going on vacation next week, plus, like you I have a lot at work, plus other RP:s, so I may not join right away. Reseve a spot though.

Please no. Im fine with Walking Dead Zombies or Runner Zombies, but please don't have Black Magic zombies please.

Alouite wrote:Not really, if we're going Walking Dead style then even if not bitten, you become a walker when you die. So, those who are dying of fevers, colds, common flus, and war all end up adding to the population. If the battle of gettysburg happened then there will be a horde in pennsylvania alone.

Then you literally just defeat yourself with your own argument. You said if you have runners where the best weapon available is a single-shot rifle they'll overrun the country, but you ignore that if everyone that dies turns they'll bulldoze through the country.

I think fast running zombies would be the best. They're far more interesting, especially with the limited technology of the time, the humans would have a chance at winning (if everyone that dies turns, during the civil war, the humans would be screwed), and would be more fun to post about in my opinion (would posting about a bunch of guys shooting slow walking fools in the head be more fun then posting about a bunch of guys desperately fleeing as they slowly try to hold off a horde of quick running maniacs trying to jump and dodge their gun shots)?

It would still be the same as runners, in most aspects, then just the cliche of an erupting virus. Cursed, undead, zombies is what I meant, not hypnotized regular humans. That'd be super boring. But intelligent, fast, zombies would also suit well with the native American legends about Wendigo.

KAS SRD
Attaché

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KAS SRD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am

I have to agree with runners. Walkers would be too east to kill.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Alouite wrote:Not really, if we're going Walking Dead style then even if not bitten, you become a walker when you die. So, those who are dying of fevers, colds, common flus, and war all end up adding to the population. If the battle of gettysburg happened then there will be a horde in pennsylvania alone.

So your argument is that it is hard enough with Walker Zombies, so lets just take a next step from hard to impossible? Besides, the virus doesn't cause you to zombify until you die, it doesn't kill you unless you're directly bitten. You could've done some research by assume you knew what I meant, if you looked up 'Walking Dead Virus' you'd find a result with the answer.
Hyman Minsky

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Krajstali wrote:Virus Zombies are indeed the best choice.

How-about we stick to the Era and do a sort of Oregon Trail with Zombies? :)
It will probably be Last of Us-ish but giving it a shot wouldn't hurt.

Oregon trail is fifty years preceding this. A whole different era. Though Virus Zombies are indeed indeed the best choice ;) .
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm interested and agree with virus zombies; it could even have strategic value as both sides could infect enemy civilians/ POW's with the virus in attempt to win the war.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I'm interested and agree with virus zombies; it could even have strategic value as both sides could infect enemy civilians/ POW's with the virus in attempt to win the war.

Only the south would likely practice such an endeavor, after all, the North still saw southerners as part of their nation.
Hyman Minsky

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Alouite wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I'm interested and agree with virus zombies; it could even have strategic value as both sides could infect enemy civilians/ POW's with the virus in attempt to win the war.

Only the south would likely practice such an endeavor, after all, the North still saw southerners as part of their nation.

At first most likely but once North starts to loose significant ground/ if it is discovered that south were behind increase in infection, support by some generals (or even presidential authorization latter on) for such action might not be too far off.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blobovia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blobovia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:26 pm

How would either side perform biological warfare succesfully during that era? And were would the virus come from? Reaearch for such in military use didn't come until at least the late 19th century, and it wasn't really until World War One it became widespread, thanks to research and use of chemical weapons.

Sure, the Mongols threw infected bodies at their enemies by catapults, but I doubt that work here.

I apologize if I sound naggy. :)

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Alouite wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

So your argument is that it is hard enough with Walker Zombies, so lets just take a next step from hard to impossible? Besides, the virus doesn't cause you to zombify until you die, it doesn't kill you unless you're directly bitten. You could've done some research by assume you knew what I meant, if you looked up 'Walking Dead Virus' you'd find a result with the answer.

I know what you mean.

If a civil is happening/just happened, there's going to be lots of dead people. Dead people would overrun the nation due to their numbers.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse