NATION

PASSWORD

California's Drought

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

California's Drought

Postby Skappola » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm

The above map tells you a lot about the drought in California. This summer, more than 4 counties had their water supply fall below a 120 day supply, with a couple falling below 60 days. This drought is one of if not the worst drought ever faced by California, and it's only getting worse.

Bureacracy and environmentalists aren't exactly helping with the shortages, either. Los Angeles is unable to take full advantage of nearby lakes due to environmental concerns (Lake Mono is a good example), and attempts at expanding Desalination continues to be stonewalled by environmental concerns and endless bureacracy.

The below article details one of the few plants to make it through the endless permits. After 6 years of permits and countless lawsuits, the plant has finally been approved. Opposition to the plant won environmentalists 14 lawsuits and an agreement for the company to restore 66 acres of wetlands to make up for the environmental damage. However, the desalination plant construction has slowed considerably after the California environmental agency has requested that the company launch an investigation into whether the pipes can be built underground to minimize environmental impact. Knowing California, the Carlsbad plant will never be built.
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_2 ... es-up-near
Desalination, of course, is by no means a clean process - but transporting water for human use is always problematic for the environment, whether it be by purification, desalination, or the variety of other methods. The environmental impact of Desalination generally consists of the destruction of fish eggs and larvae, and the leaking of brine into the environment.

It doesn't entirely matter. Most Californian counties (And the state itself) are deep in debt, unable to afford the expensive process of desalination. So what is the solution to California's Water Woes?
Last edited by Skappola on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Hmm...so everything is bigger in Texas...except in California.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Benuty wrote:Hmm...so everything is bigger in Texas...except in California.

The drought is also pretty bad in Texas, but environmentalists fled from there years ago. :lol:
Last edited by Skappola on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:30 pm

And this, California, is why you shouldn't secede.

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Have strict water conservation, drastically increase regulation of groundwater, recycle water, and levy heavier fines for using more water that is needed.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:31 pm

District XIV wrote:And this, California, is why you shouldn't secede.

This was a serious possibility?

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Not at all - it was directed at those who think CA should leave the union.

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Stop letting people move into California. Being a fifth-generation Californian, I know that California has always had droughts, there's nothing new about that. What makes this one so severe is that there is so much demand for water, because of the exorbitant number of people living here. If we want to have enough water in California, we have to stop letting more people move in. Place an indefinite ban on all immigration into California, that way we can preserve what water resources we still have. If we keep letting more people into the state, eventually our water will run out, even in times when there is no drought.
From the desk of:
Ambassador Sir Thomas Chapman, CD, KG
His Majesty's Ambassador to the WA for Kiribati-Tarawa
Office # 22, Floor 5 of the General Assembly building

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

To the disunionist factions it was a serious proposition.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Kiribati-Tarawa wrote:Stop letting people move into California. Being a fifth-generation Californian, I know that California has always had droughts, there's nothing new about that. What makes this one so severe is that there is so much demand for water, because of the exorbitant number of people living here. If we want to have enough water in California, we have to stop letting more people move in. Place an indefinite ban on all immigration into California, that way we can preserve what water resources we still have. If we keep letting more people into the state, eventually our water will run out, even in times when there is no drought.

That'll essentially isolate California from the rest of the United States and will possibly have negative economic effects.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Aeken wrote:Have strict water conservation, drastically increase regulation of groundwater, recycle water, and levy heavier fines for using more water that is needed.

Already being done. It's been policy in California for years to only serve water in restaurants when specifically asked for, rather than automatically. Regulation of groundwater is about as major as it can get in California, parts of Northern California are running massive water recycling efforts (Many of them simply because they are unable to afford desalination - even when recycling might not be enough in the future), and California has heavy fines for everything.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Ever heard of the Republic of Cascadia, the Republic of Jefferson and the recreation of the California Republic?
Last edited by Skappola on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:36 pm

It'll come too late to help immediately, but there's this. I hope they build more of them, desalination plants could really help California.

Especially since they've decided to build cities of twenty million in an area as close to desert as you can get. And also grow fucking rice, and almonds there.
It takes 1-2 gallons of water per almond, and they grow something like 80% of the world's almonds.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 pm

District XIV wrote:
Kiribati-Tarawa wrote:Stop letting people move into California. Being a fifth-generation Californian, I know that California has always had droughts, there's nothing new about that. What makes this one so severe is that there is so much demand for water, because of the exorbitant number of people living here. If we want to have enough water in California, we have to stop letting more people move in. Place an indefinite ban on all immigration into California, that way we can preserve what water resources we still have. If we keep letting more people into the state, eventually our water will run out, even in times when there is no drought.

That'll essentially isolate California from the rest of the United States and will possibly have negative economic effects.

Not really. The population of California will continue to grow, even if we stop letting people move here. It's not like we have any shortage of talent (Silicon Valley). The problem facing California is that everybody wants to live here. As a result, our natural spaces are being filled with housing developments and our water resources are being drained. This drought simply proves how overpopulated this state is. Sure, if we had as much rain as say, Normandy, it wouldn't be a problem, but the fact of that matter is, we don't. California is largely a desert. Most of the LA area and Southern California wouldn't even be habitable if it weren't for irrigation. California simply cannot sustain the huge population that it has.
From the desk of:

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm

You remind me of the guy from GTA Vice City on the public radio channel who wanted to cut Florida off from the main land think they would float out to see.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

You remind me of the guy from GTA Vice City on the public radio channel who wanted to cut Florida off from the main land think they would float out to see.

Florida is one thing, California is another.
From the desk of:

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Remember when environmentalism was specifically aimed at preventing stuff like this? I miss that.
Do you happen to know the scale of a human rights issue we're dealing with here, OP? Are there, like, thousands of people going without food or something, or is it just damaging the economy?
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Do we not have the technology to desalinate ocean water? It's not hard. Boil water, capture the steam, you have water vapor in one place, slowly condensing back into liquid, then over there you have salt.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Senkaku wrote:It'll come too late to help immediately, but there's this. I hope they build more of them, desalination plants could really help California.

Especially since they've decided to build cities of twenty million in an area as close to desert as you can get. And also grow fucking rice, and almonds there.
It takes 1-2 gallons of water per almond, and they grow something like 80% of the world's almonds.

I thought they grew 80% of the world's walnuts?

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:Do we not have the technology to desalinate ocean water? It's not hard. Boil water, capture the steam, you have water vapor in one place, slowly condensing back into liquid, then over there you have salt.

IIRC not at a massive scale.

Skappola
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:
Senkaku wrote:It'll come too late to help immediately, but there's this. I hope they build more of them, desalination plants could really help California.

I thought they grew 80% of the world's walnuts?

I always knew the Californians were nutty.

*Cue Laugh-track*

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

District XIV wrote:
The Fascist American Empire wrote:Do we not have the technology to desalinate ocean water? It's not hard. Boil water, capture the steam, you have water vapor in one place, slowly condensing back into liquid, then over there you have salt.

IIRC not at a massive scale.

Oh. Well then why not several small-to-medium scale operations?

RIP Eli Waller

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Margno wrote:Remember when environmentalism was specifically aimed at preventing stuff like this? I miss that.
Do you happen to know the scale of a human rights issue we're dealing with here, OP? Are there, like, thousands of people going without food or something, or is it just damaging the economy?

The problem is, there isn't enough water to sustain the entire population of California. Water is being rationed and appropriated by the government to various interest groups, such as farmers, etc. In some areas, they have almost no water, whereas in others, it wouldn't be as big a problem, except the government is taking their water and giving it to other people. This is not an environmental issue; CA has had droughts throughout its existence. The problem is that CA's population has grown dramatically since the last drought, and as a result, so has the demand for water.
From the desk of:

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:43 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:
District XIV wrote:IIRC not at a massive scale.

Oh. Well then why not several small-to-medium scale operations?

Because that would cost moneeey :P

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Skappola wrote:
Aeken wrote:Have strict water conservation, drastically increase regulation of groundwater, recycle water, and levy heavier fines for using more water that is needed.

Already being done. It's been policy in California for years to only serve water in restaurants when specifically asked for, rather than automatically. Regulation of groundwater is about as major as it can get in California, parts of Northern California are running massive water recycling efforts (Many of them simply because they are unable to afford desalination - even when recycling might not be enough in the future), and California has heavy fines for everything.

Hardly. The only time conservation comes into play is when we're in a drought. Groundwater regulation is nonexistent here. People are allowed to pump as much as they want without consequence. They just keep building deeper and deeper wells because they've pumped so much water they can't get any more. Recycling obviously can't supply all the water, but it can reduce usage of water sources.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General