NATION

PASSWORD

Man Stops "Pay it Forward" Line.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Man Stops "Pay it Forward" Line.

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:21 pm

A man in Florida is being criticized for deliberately ending a "Pay it Forward" line at a local Starbuck's.

Florida Man Deliberately Scuttles 'Pay It Forward' Starbucks Line
By YAZHOU SUN 2 hours ago Good Morning America

A Florida man put an end to a “pay it forward” streak at a local Starbucks because he said he thinks people were participating out of “guilt,” not “generosity.”

Peter Schorsch, a blogger, drove to the Starbucks drive-thru in St. Petersburg, Florida, on Thursday after hearing about the pay it forward phenomenon there that ended with customer No. 458. After he ordered two Venti Mocha Frappuccinos, the barista told him his first drink had been paid for by the previous customer and asked if he would like to pay for the next customer.

“I told him no,” Schorsch, of St. Petersburg, told ABC News. “When the barista asks you to pay it forward, it is no longer spontaneous.”

Though Schorsch didn't pay for the next customer at the drive-thru, he said he tipped the barista $100.

“I’m really not trying to be a Grinch,” Schorsch said. “I know things are hard for baristas and I am willing to help people.”

“I just don’t want to be forced into doing something,” said Schorsch, who is also a part-time political consultant. “This is turning into a social phenomenon and I had to put an end to it.”

When baristas ask customers to pay for the next customer, some patrons simply oblige out of guilt, not generosity, he said.

“Although I can’t prove it, I think this has become an organic marketing ploy for Starbucks,” Schorsch said. “I love Starbucks. I have nothing against them. But this takes away the genuineness.”

Schorsch said some patrons are driving to this particular store after they heard about the pay it forward streak.

“This is turning into something ridiculous and cheesy,” Schorsch said.

“It just seems like a First World problem to me. Middle-class people sitting in their cars at a drive-thru, sipping a $5 drink and worry about someone breaking the ranks,” Schorsch said.

“There is a little humor being a contrarian, but I think if you really want to help, find someone that obviously needs help, like the homeless,” Schorsch said.

"Also, I got a $6 Venti Frappuccino. Someone might just get a $2 coffee," Schorsch said. "This is unfair to that person who paid for me."

An employee at this Starbucks location referred ABC News to the company’s corporate media relations hotline this morning.

Linda Mills, Starbucks’ spokeswoman, did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for a comment.

This store’s pay it forward chain lasted for 10 hours on Wednesday, with 457 customers following the practice, until customer No. 458 refused.

https://gma.yahoo.com/florida-man-delib ... .html?vp=1

IMO, this guy was being more than a little dickish. It says in the article that he went to the Starbucks in question after hearing about the "Pay it Forward" line; which implies that he went there specifically to end it, rather than being confronted with an unexpected line and simply refusing once there to go along. It implies he sought out that particular Starbuck's (one assumes there are more than one in the Tampa- St. Petersburg area) which may or may not have been the closest one to him (it doesn't say in the article). He claims he did it because "he said he thinks people were participating out of 'guilt,' not 'generosity.'", but how would he know why others were doing it? And even if he were right, wouldn't that be for them do live with, not him? I rather strongly suspect that this smacks of a publicity stunt on his part, but TBH, there's no direct proof of that. So, what says NSG? Was he right to do this?
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Your only source is Yahoo. Besides, this occur all across the world whenever these things occur: since at some point, the line ends and someone either can't afford to pay or behaves like him.

So yeah, it's not really newsworthy.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm

A wanker who wishes he had more attention. Wishes he was more then he is.

His pathetic existence will be forgotten when this story is forgotten.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:28 pm

I agree that going there to deliberately end the streak is dickish. I suppose that if my coffee was paid for by the person ahead of me, I might be willing to pay for the coffee of the next person in line, to the amount I was going to pay to begin with. I do question the appropriateness of this in a coffee shop, though. There are better ways to benefit one's fellow humans than to buy them caffeine, after all. Do something good for a person in need and encourage them to pay it forward when they can.

And the original idea in the novel and movie was doing something good for someone that they can't do for themselves. I daresay the people in line at Starbucks can afford the coffee.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 pm

you know there's not much to say really...

Florida man strikes again. :/
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Sunarctica
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunarctica » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Why is this in the news? I mean honestly, this isn't exactly newsworthy.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:32 pm

"I'm not trying to be a grinch,"

Ahahaha...AHAHAHAHAAH. No, the blogger defiantly is. Ever heard of being kind? I mean, his drink was paid for. I don't think paying a little sum of money for the next driver is going to hurt.

I'm guessing this is rather just an attempt to get his name some attention, which will last for a whole five seconds. Or he genuinely thinks he's doing something right when in reality he is just being a fun-killer that that's too cool to participate.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:33 pm

It does seem cheesy.

There must be better ways to be charitable.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:I agree that going there to deliberately end the streak is dickish. I suppose that if my coffee was paid for by the person ahead of me, I might be willing to pay for the coffee of the next person in line, to the amount I was going to pay to begin with. I do question the appropriateness of this in a coffee shop, though. There are better ways to benefit one's fellow humans than to buy them caffeine, after all. Do something good for a person in need and encourage them to pay it forward when they can.

A good point, Farn. Perhaps it would have been better if Starbuck's hadn't been encouraging their customers to do it; considering how much money they have themselves. But still, to seek it out with the intention of ending it was uncalled-for in my opinion.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
add 6,928 to post count

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
"I'm not trying to be a grinch,"

Ahahaha...AHAHAHAHAAH. No, the blogger defiantly is. Ever heard of being kind? I mean, his drink was paid for. I don't think paying a little sum of money for the next driver is going to hurt.

I'm guessing this is rather just an attempt to get his name some attention, which will last for a whole five seconds. Or he genuinely thinks he's doing something right when in reality he is just being a fun-killer that that's too cool to participate.

He's definitely a grinch but really, charitable works in Starbucks? Surely people can find better ways to "pay it forward."
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I agree that going there to deliberately end the streak is dickish. I suppose that if my coffee was paid for by the person ahead of me, I might be willing to pay for the coffee of the next person in line, to the amount I was going to pay to begin with. I do question the appropriateness of this in a coffee shop, though. There are better ways to benefit one's fellow humans than to buy them caffeine, after all. Do something good for a person in need and encourage them to pay it forward when they can.

A good point, Farn. Perhaps it would have been better if Starbuck's hadn't been encouraging their customers to do it; considering how much money they have themselves. But still, to seek it out with the intention of ending it was uncalled-for in my opinion.

I agree about the guy being a prat, yes.

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 pm

1) Try to be noticed by others by doing something annoying, yet not totally despicable.
2) Get reported by internet news.
3) Succeed in task.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:36 pm

He's not a grinch because he's tipped the barista $100. It's clearly not an issue of being stingy.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

He's definitely a grinch but really, charitable works in Starbucks? Surely people can find better ways to "pay it forward."

Of course.

Though it's just being a buzzkill to go there to end it. Sure, you can spend money for more charitable things, but it's just a nice thing to do.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:1) Try to be noticed by others by doing something annoying, yet not totally despicable.
3) Succeed in task.

Touché.
add 6,928 to post count

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Meh. Most people wouldn't even tip the server. Especially if they refused to pay forward. Granted, if there's nobody behind them then most people won't, and who can blame them, but it's just common courtesy if somebody paid forward for you.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

He has a point. If the Barista is asking you to pay it forward, it stops being something out of generosity and starts being something done because you feel like you have to. It's not really generosity anymore.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:He has a point. If the Barista is asking you to pay it forward, it stops being something out of generosity and starts being something done because you feel like you have to. It's not really generosity anymore.

But why seek it out, as he did? Who is he to determine that for others?
add 6,928 to post count

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:1) Try to be noticed by others by doing something annoying, yet not totally despicable.
3) Succeed in task.

it's a man in florida, it's literally the dumbest thing that has came out of online news. Hell "Florida man" has it's own reddit.
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Allanea wrote:He's not a grinch because he's tipped the barista $100. It's clearly not an issue of being stingy.

Well? He claims he did.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:He has a point. If the Barista is asking you to pay it forward, it stops being something out of generosity and starts being something done because you feel like you have to. It's not really generosity anymore.

Seek out what? He just didn't want to pay extra.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:He's definitely a grinch but really, charitable works in Starbucks? Surely people can find better ways to "pay it forward."

Of course.

Though it's just being a buzzkill to go there to end it. Sure, you can spend money for more charitable things, but it's just a nice thing to do.

Yes, it's a nice thing to do but when it becomes a tacit store policy - I imagine the request is accompanied by a look that says "And you're an asshole if you say no" - it's too much. Catherine Ryan Hyde's novel and the movie made of it envisioned "Pay It Forward" as actually helping people, not encouraging hipster back-patting.

I need to stay away from this thread. *looks coldly at Maineiacs and makes a note on a hand-held device*

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Allanea wrote:He's not a grinch because he's tipped the barista $100. It's clearly not an issue of being stingy.

No, he did it to prove a point at other peoples' expense. That makes him a dick.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

Seek out what? He just didn't want to pay extra.

He intentionally drove to it to be an ass.

It would be one thing, if he happened to be in the line......

Vozt Yurkova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vozt Yurkova » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:45 pm

I don't really get it. If someone buys you a coffee and you then buy somebody else a coffee you're effectively buying your own coffee. I don't get what's charitable about giving money to Starbucks in someone else's stead. It's false charity to allow people to pat themselves on the back for paying to drink a Starbucks.
'z' before a vowel = zh
'z' before a consonant = sh

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General