NATION

PASSWORD

Riots in St. Louis after Police kill Teen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Riots in St. Louis after Police kill Teen

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:10 pm

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/8/10/cops-shoot-teen.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/michael-brown-shooting-rioting-looting-erupts-after-peaceful-vigil-1.2732591
Rioting and looting erupted in Ferguson, Missouri, late on Sunday as protests over the killing of a black teenager by a police officer turned violent, law enforcement officials and media reports said. Crowds broke the windows of cars and stores following a day of demonstrations over the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old shot dead on Saturday by a Ferguson police officer.

"We are currently experiencing a riot," a Ferguson police dispatcher said.

About 150 officers in riot gear from throughout St. Louis County, along with canine units, were sent to the area, a dispatcher for the St. Louis County Police Department said.

There was no immediate word on injuries.

Police said Brown was shot after a struggle over a gun in a police car. It was not immediately clear why Brown as in the car. At least one shot was fired during the struggle, and then the officer fired more shots before leaving the car.

So, NSG, your thoughts on this? Personally, I think we need more details before we can make a judgement on the shooting, though it's despicable that they left his body lying there for 4 hours after he was killed. As for the riots, do you think they will escalate further, or die down soon? Will this be another nationwide debate, like the death of Trayvon Martin?

Other Thafoo
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Other Thafoo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:13 pm

good job on being proactive and creating the thread, proud of you

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Other Thafoo wrote:good job on being proactive and creating the thread, proud of you

Yay me. :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 pm

I think tomorrow morning a call is warranted to my brother-in-law. He lives in St. Louis.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Yep, some reports about officers being shot at, bunch of robberies and store lootings.

"Hey guys, I know how we can deal with a perceived racial issue, let's burn down our own people's businesses!"
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 pm

That's sad. I think it's a bit preemptive to reach conclusions about the teen being killed. But, I will say that this is a natural result of people being tired of police brutality in general, and this demonstrates that it's something that needs to be addressed. I don't condone the rioting either.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Mavorpen wrote:That's sad. I think it's a bit preemptive to reach conclusions about the teen being killed. But, I will say that this is a natural result of people being tired of police brutality in general, and this demonstrates that it's something that needs to be addressed. I don't condone the rioting either.

Indeed, it's the product of police brutality.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Mavorpen wrote:That's sad. I think it's a bit preemptive to reach conclusions about the teen being killed. But, I will say that this is a natural result of people being tired of police brutality in general, and this demonstrates that it's something that needs to be addressed. I don't condone the rioting either.

^Exactly this.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pm

And for some reason, police brutality isn't being talked about at all in Washington. I don't get it. Why the resistance to discussing an important issue?

-Arabiyah-
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Arabiyah- » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 pm

This is a tragedy I hope the Shaheedah(Martyrdom) of this teen may be taken by Allah(SWT) this isn't riot worthy though
¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*.¸¸...¸.¤*\
\¸.........I Love ALLAH........,,\
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*.¸¸...¸.¤*\
..\
...\
Jihad Fi Sabaillah.
ProJihad,Islamism,Shiriah,Death Penelty,Arma,Guns,Al-Qeada,Northern Alliance,Hizb ul Mujahideen,ISIL,Muhammad Nasruddin Al-Albani,Qadiriyyah wa Naqdhabndiyyah
AgainstHuman Rights,Communism,Liberals,Secularism,FSA,Saudi Arabia,Israel,Zionism,LGBT Rights

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 pm

If you look at the twitter feeds of people involved in this (what a time to be alive) it's easily apparent this isn't about police brutality, but about stealing shit. Or about beating on white people.
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Saruhan wrote:

If you look at the twitter feeds of people involved in this (what a time to be alive) it's easily apparent this isn't about police brutality, but about stealing shit. Or about beating on white people.

Then we need more information before we can pass some sort of judgment on this.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Merizoc wrote:

And for some reason, police brutality isn't being talked about at all in Washington. I don't get it. Why the resistance to discussing an important issue?

Why would DC want to discuss anything important?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:And for some reason, police brutality isn't being talked about at all in Washington. I don't get it. Why the resistance to discussing an important issue?

Touché.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Saruhan wrote:

Which is why I don't condone this. Riots like these BEGIN as strong reactions to issues that people want to be addressed but aren't. They then devolve into bigger problems like looting.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:And for some reason, police brutality isn't being talked about at all in Washington. I don't get it. Why the resistance to discussing an important issue?

Ah, nope... they don't give a rat's tail about it!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Saruhan wrote:If you look at the twitter feeds of people involved in this (what a time to be alive) it's easily apparent this isn't about police brutality, but about stealing shit. Or about beating on white people.

ImageImage

That's quite a lot of information, and from the source, too.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Saruhan wrote:If you look at the twitter feeds of people involved in this (what a time to be alive) it's easily apparent this isn't about police brutality, but about stealing shit. Or about beating on white people.

Which is why I don't condone this. Riots like these BEGIN as strong reactions to issues that people want to be addressed but aren't. They then devolve into bigger problems like looting.

Sort of reminds you of the 2011 England riots.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

I will say the same thing I say about the riots I saw in response to drawing of Muhammad in the middle East. Riots will only make people distrust you more, refuse to listen to you, and possibly turn against you. It is among the worst ways to respond to something as the riot itself becomes the issue, rather than the issue that caused the riot.
Just A Little though

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

ImageImage

That's quite a lot of information, and from the source, too.

I'm mostly talking about the death of the teenager, which seems to have been used as an excuse to loot...
Slava Ukraini

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which is why I don't condone this. Riots like these BEGIN as strong reactions to issues that people want to be addressed but aren't. They then devolve into bigger problems like looting.

There will always be people who latch on to legitimate concerns and use them as an excuse to do bad shit.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which is why I don't condone this. Riots like these BEGIN as strong reactions to issues that people want to be addressed but aren't. They then devolve into bigger problems like looting.

I will say the same thing I say about the riots I saw in response to drawing of Muhammad in the middle East. Riots will only make people distrust you more, refuse to listen to you, and possibly turn against you. It is among the worst ways to respond to something as the riot itself becomes the issue, rather than the issue that caused the riot.

Pretty much this.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Merizoc wrote:

Nah, England had less of a spark to it. I mean the dude had a machete. But yes because there's a riot it means that any concerns that come out of this are either going to be drown out by the noise of the looting, or because by taking up the cause, people can fling mud and say that their opponents support rioting and looting

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Sort of reminds you of the 2011 England riots.

There will always be people who latch on to legitimate concerns and use them as an excuse to do bad shit.

Even the most peaceful demonstrations will attract a nasty element looking to start something. When a demonstration starts in anger, it will often end in rioting.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:There will always be people who latch on to legitimate concerns and use them as an excuse to do bad shit.

Even the most peaceful demonstrations will attract a nasty element looking to start something. When a demonstration starts in anger, it will often end in rioting.

The police had better be very careful how they handle this. They don't have a particularly good record and image right now.
Just A Little though

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General