NATION

PASSWORD

Alcohol Prohobition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Peoples Federal Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Alcohol Prohobition

Postby The Peoples Federal Empire » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Alcohol is a wildly abused drug that is addictive and could lead to death. On the other hand, alcohol supports many economies, and without it, many nations could go into poverty? What do you think? Should alcohol be banned? Should it be limited? Should the WA do something about it? Leave your comments and ideas below! :bow:

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:46 pm

No to prohibition, tried it, didn't work, total waste of time and money.

The whole temperance movement that picked up steam after the civil war should have been nipped in the bud.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:49 pm

The Peoples Federal Empire wrote:Should the WA do something about it?

I'm sorry, but this is NSG. Asking questions in regard to things done or to be done by the WA do not belong here.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Booze is your friend.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm against it in both the WA and real life.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Intelectual Atheists
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Intelectual Atheists » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but some time, soemone tried to ban achool, but it ended up worse than it started, people buying illegal achool more often than legal achool.
I believe in the separation of church and planet.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:58 pm

The Peoples Federal Empire wrote:Alcohol is a wildly abused drug that is addictive and could lead to death. On the other hand, alcohol supports many economies, and without it, many nations could go into poverty? What do you think? Should alcohol be banned? Should it be limited? Should the WA do something about it? Leave your comments and ideas below! :bow:

Key word is addictive. People are going to buy it if it's legal or not, because it's addictive, so why prohibit it?
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Can we do the equivalent of what always happens in gun threads and start talking about our favorite mixed drinks? :p
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Fireye
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fireye » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Silent Majority wrote:Can we do the equivalent of what always happens in gun threads and start talking about our favorite mixed drinks? :p

And craft beers.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/235745/

Proud Member of the National Canine Association. We Defend Dogs and Dog Owners Alike

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm against it.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Silent Majority wrote:Can we do the equivalent of what always happens in gun threads and start talking about our favorite mixed drinks? :p

I'll start mixing a drink right now.
Go Vikings.

Dragonia Re Xzua
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonia Re Xzua » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Prohibition of just about ANYTHING doesn't work in the long term. Here are just a few examples. Banning alcohol will simply make the creation of moonshine that much more urgent, with the only way to stop that from happening is to make everything too expensive to afford. Banning drugs will only open more opportunities for things called "smugglers" and "black markets" or will simply lead to the creation of homemade drugs, which sadly cannot be completely prevented. Banning guns will have similar effects to banning drugs; more opportunities for firearms smugglers and the black market to thrive. The only way to even come CLOSE to outright banning these things is to make America a surveillance camera-addicted, anti-privacy police state. As you can imagine, not that many people will be thrilled about living in a place like that.
Humans are monsters, we will never change, we will always want to claw out the throats of those with a difference in opinion, we will never be in an age of peace because of our lust for war, poverty will continue to exist as long as monetary needs exist. We rape, enslave, and conquer with no regards to others. We live by the sword, and we will, justifiably, die by the sword.

Hope is for unrealistic idealists. Pessimism is your friend.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Dragonia Re Xzua wrote:Prohibition of just about ANYTHING doesn't work in the long term. Here are just a few examples. Banning alcohol will simply make the creation of moonshine that much more urgent, with the only way to stop that from happening is to make everything too expensive to afford. Banning drugs will only open more opportunities for things called "smugglers" and "black markets" or will simply lead to the creation of homemade drugs, which sadly cannot be completely prevented. Banning guns will have similar effects to banning drugs; more opportunities for firearms smugglers and the black market to thrive. The only way to even come CLOSE to outright banning these things is to make America a surveillance camera-addicted, anti-privacy police state. As you can imagine, not that many people will be thrilled about living in a place like that.

Actually banning guns will lead to a lower number of guns, because guns aren't addictive i.e their demand curve isn't as inelastic as drugs.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)

Getting the Guillotine

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Dragonia Re Xzua wrote:Prohibition of just about ANYTHING doesn't work in the long term. Here are just a few examples. Banning alcohol will simply make the creation of moonshine that much more urgent, with the only way to stop that from happening is to make everything too expensive to afford. Banning drugs will only open more opportunities for things called "smugglers" and "black markets" or will simply lead to the creation of homemade drugs, which sadly cannot be completely prevented. Banning guns will have similar effects to banning drugs; more opportunities for firearms smugglers and the black market to thrive. The only way to even come CLOSE to outright banning these things is to make America a surveillance camera-addicted, anti-privacy police state. As you can imagine, not that many people will be thrilled about living in a place like that.

Actually banning guns will lead to a lower number of guns, because guns aren't addictive i.e their demand curve isn't as inelastic as drugs.

No, but guns will always have a demand.
Go Vikings.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Chestaan wrote:

Oh they certainly will, but a price rise, such as the additional costs incurred from smuggling, will have a much greater effect on demand for guns than it will have on drugs.
Council Communist

Getting the Guillotine

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Prohibition was by far one of the stupidest decisions to ever hit the Americas. The Temperance campaigners thought they were going to liberate everyone, but instead they resulted in an ultra-powerful mafia whose effects are still being felt today. Hell, prohibition doesn't even work in Muslim countries, where it's actually believed to be proscribed by God. I mean, if even the Almighty can't get people to stop drinking, then how the Hell are we?
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

NUMBER ONE ON KARINZISTAN'S NATION STATES LIST. HELLS YEAH.
Official recipient of Cu Math's "Let's Be Civil" Potato
How physicists I've met seem to function.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Oh they certainly will, but a price rise, such as the additional costs incurred from smuggling, will have a much greater effect on demand for guns than it will have on drugs.

Not really. In the end criminals will still have them, you will have only made them impossible for people without black market connections to get a hold of.
Go Vikings.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Because prohibition worked so well before, eh? We need to educate people on the dangers of alcohol, but we shouldn't prohibit them from using it.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Chestaan wrote:

Not really. In the end criminals will still have them, you will have only made them impossible for people without black market connections to get a hold of.

I'm not arguing for or against making guns illegal, I'm just pointing out that the demand curve for guns is more elastic than drugs.
Council Communist

Getting the Guillotine

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

I'm not arguing for or against making guns illegal, I'm just pointing out that the demand curve for guns is more elastic than drugs.

Although, if 3D printers become more common, this will stop being an issue.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:47 pm

It's like Communism. People thought it was a good idea, it was tried, and it failed miserably, only benefiting crooked politicians. People who want it back don't seem to remember history.
Last edited by Murkwood on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Murkwood wrote:It's like Communism. People thought it was a good idea, it was tried, and it failed miserably, only benefiting crooked politicians.

And the Mafia, don't forget the mafia.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Murkwood wrote:It's like Communism. People thought it was a good idea, it was tried, and it failed miserably, only benefiting crooked politicians.

Did the Mafia benefit from Communism? :p
Last edited by Murkwood on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Did the Mafia benefit from Communism? :p

The Russian Mob did.
Go Vikings.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:No to prohibition, tried it, didn't work, total waste of time and money.

The whole temperance movement that picked up steam after the civil war should have been nipped in the bud.

Oh it, did work. It did exactly what is was supposed to do. It reduced alcohol related deaths, arrests and rates of drinking.

People just decided they wanted alcohol legalized again.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General