NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Greysteel War (ALL GREYSTEEL AND INVITED, OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Free Republic of Akan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

The Great Greysteel War (ALL GREYSTEEL AND INVITED, OOC)

Postby The Free Republic of Akan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:50 pm

A Storm is Coming.

Ok, so this is the OOC thread of the planned Greysteel war which will change the region.

Here, make ideas, discuss, chat and talk about the RP in general. When the IC starts, talk about others posts and do OOC things.

Sides?:
Alex: Nero, Me
GVH: Zammora
Last edited by The Free Republic of Akan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The correct way to say the people in my country is Akanian.
Our motto is translated in latin to "The people have the power"
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate

Alexiandra
Senator

Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks.
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:55 pm

To avoid future argument, I think we should perhaps post a total summary of our militaries here.

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

I think someone (me) suggested that each aside dropped down to two major allies. These war-blocs could interact with third parties, but the actual war between Diol and Alex would be limited to direct involvement from major allies
big chungus, small among us

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:57 pm

I'd say 2 allies from outside the region.

Because one of my allies would be Zammora (in the region) and one of Alex' allies would be Nerotysia (also in the region.) It would be totally ridiculous to imagine those 2 nations not getting involved.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Sardian republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardian republic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

so how this even gonna start off territorial expansion ,Assassination, forced annexation, Invasion, Border dispute, ETC.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I'd say 2 allies from outside the region.

Because one of my allies would be Zammora (in the region) and one of Alex' allies would be Nerotysia (also in the region.) It would be totally ridiculous to imagine those 2 nations not getting involved.

I could agree to this. Alex?

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 pm

In anticipation of Gothic and other pre-2005 nation involvement, upon being invited by Alex and in contemplation of Vakolicci's tradition of launching massed WMD first strikes, I have extended general invitations to all of Nova, all of Greater Dienstad, and additional specific invitations to (in no particular order) United States of PA, Falkasia, Santheres, Wagdog, Lamoni, Whiskeasy, Oseato and Yohannes.

I have no sympathy for anyone that has a problem with that. Don't flaunt Gothic involvement if you can't handle their involvement being taken seriously.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Heiraeth
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Heiraeth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm

As someone new to roleplaying, especially roleplaying wars, I'm unclear on how to attempt to protect my nation.

I realize there are no set-in-stone rules involved besides common sense and good roleplay, but I assume there must be some guidelines involved.

All I've pieced together so far is that armies should (depending on who is talking) be from .1% to 5% of one's population, and you can "purchase" Modern Technology military equipment from Lyran Arms and Royal Beaufort based on your defense budget on NS Economy

The two most important things I don't understand are:
    How the outcomes of a conflict are determined when the only hard numbers available are quite abstact and
    How I should best "spend" my defense budget if I'm interested solely in defense

If anyone could give me a quick rundown on some of this, I would be really grateful.

Finium
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Salzland wrote:In anticipation of Gothic and other pre-2005 nation involvement, upon being invited by Alex and in contemplation of Vakolicci's tradition of launching massed WMD first strikes, I have extended general invitations to all of Nova, all of Greater Dienstad, and additional specific invitations to (in no particular order) United States of PA, Falkasia, Santheres, Wagdog, Lamoni, Whiskeasy, Oseato and Yohannes.

I have no sympathy for anyone that has a problem with that. Don't flaunt Gothic involvement if you can't handle their involvement being taken seriously.

We're actually coming to the agreement that we'd like this RP to be much more private, if you rescind the public invitations you've made, that would be appreciated.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Heiraeth wrote:As someone new to roleplaying, especially roleplaying wars, I'm unclear on how to attempt to protect my nation.

I realize there are no set-in-stone rules involved besides common sense and good roleplay, but I assume there must be some guidelines involved.

All I've pieced together so far is that armies should (depending on who is talking) be from .1% to 5% of one's population, and you can "purchase" Modern Technology military equipment from Lyran Arms and Royal Beaufort based on your defense budget on NS Economy

How the outcomes of a conflict are determined when the only hard numbers available are quite abstact and

If anyone could give me a quick rundown on some of this, I would be really grateful.

Well, as for military equipment, many people also simply use RL equipment (MiGs, Abrams tanks, etc.)

1. Well, the numbers aren't really that abstract. Its fairly easy to predict the losses in each battle.
2. I'd say you should ignore naval prowess and focus on your army and air force. Also build lots of fortifications.

Though, to be honest, don't be worried about an attack for now. You have the protection of Alex, me, and perhaps even most of the Compact.

Alexiandra
Senator

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 pm

Salzland wrote:In anticipation of Gothic and other pre-2005 nation involvement, upon being invited by Alex and in contemplation of Vakolicci's tradition of launching massed WMD first strikes, I have extended general invitations to all of Nova, all of Greater Dienstad, and additional specific invitations to (in no particular order) United States of PA, Falkasia, Santheres, Wagdog, Lamoni, Whiskeasy, Oseato and Yohannes.

This. There's absolutely no way I'm going to agree to an ally-cap. Diol is just pitching a fit because his bullying tactics have met with serious, organised resistance this time around.
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Salzland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Heiraeth wrote:As someone new to roleplaying, especially roleplaying wars, I'm unclear on how to attempt to protect my nation.

Outcomes can be either decided between the participants before or during the roleplay (a preplanned ending) or reached through the natural progression of the roleplay. For example, someone dramatically out maneuvered on a strategic level might elect to sue for peace, rather than continue fighting.

As for how to spend a defense budget, the best way I've found for a new nation is to pick a real life nation that mimics your strategy and capabilities (i.e. Israel or North Korea for smaller or underdeveloped countries, then progressing from there as your nation grows)
    Proud ODECON Member
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Akiwealth Member

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Finium
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Alexiandra wrote:

This. There's absolutely no way I'm going to agree to an ally-cap. Diol is just pitching a fit because his bullying tactics have met with serious, organised resistance this time around.

There is no way that the two of you are going to be able to organize an RP of any quality at this scale. Your are both vying for hegemony over a relatively small region; there is no reason to involve the number of players that you are.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Finium wrote:
Alexiandra wrote:This. There's absolutely no way I'm going to agree to an ally-cap. Diol is just pitching a fit because his bullying tactics have met with serious, organised resistance this time around.

There is no way that the two of you are going to be able to organize an RP of any quality at this scale. Your are both vying for hegemony over a relatively small region; there is no reason to involve the number of players that you are.

I would happily tone down my numbers if Alex wouldn't involve whole regions (x2), plus one massive alliance. I'm not rping with that.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Alexiandra
Senator

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Finium wrote:
Alexiandra wrote:This. There's absolutely no way I'm going to agree to an ally-cap. Diol is just pitching a fit because his bullying tactics have met with serious, organised resistance this time around.

Larger wars have been successfully orchestrated in the past. Nobody had a problem with introducing allies when Diol had the upper hand.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Finium wrote:There is no way that the two of you are going to be able to organize an RP of any quality at this scale. Your are both vying for hegemony over a relatively small region; there is no reason to involve the number of players that you are.

I would happily tone down my numbers if Alex wouldn't involve whole regions (x2), plus one massive alliance. I'm not rping with that.

Diol, tell your 20-billions that they can't be involved. Then perhaps Alex will be more willing to negotiate.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Alexiandra wrote:
Finium wrote:There is no way that the two of you are going to be able to organize an RP of any quality at this scale. Your are both vying for hegemony over a relatively small region; there is no reason to involve the number of players that you are.

Larger wars have been successfully orchestrated in the past. Nobody had a problem with introducing allies when Diol had the upper hand.

Exactly. I kept my numbers reasonable.

Alexiandra
Senator

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Alexiandra wrote:Larger wars have been successfully orchestrated in the past. Nobody had a problem with introducing allies when Diol had the upper hand.

Exactly. I kept my numbers reasonable.

Reasonable? The first ally you involved had a population of over twenty billion.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Alexiandra wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Exactly. I kept my numbers reasonable.

Reasonable? The first ally you involved had a population of over twenty billion.

Who asked if I needed help.

The Free Republic of Akan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Republic of Akan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Nerotysia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I would happily tone down my numbers if Alex wouldn't involve whole regions (x2), plus one massive alliance. I'm not rping with that.

Diol, tell your 20-billions that they can't be involved. Then perhaps Alex will be more willing to negotiate.

Or tell them to have an RP pop of 2 billion.
The correct way to say the people in my country is Akanian.
Our motto is translated in latin to "The people have the power"
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate

Salzland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Respectfully, where was the call for a cap or restraint when the nations claimed on Diol's side mustered over 60 billion citizens, across multiple regions including one of the premier roleplaying regions in the game, against an alliance half that size, that by no means is guaranteed to participate 100% on the receiving end of a beatdown?

I'm sorry that this didn't turn into the curb stomp some people seem to have wanted, but I'm not responsible for doing other peoples' research regarding who they're attacking. Diol's been after Alex for 3 years now, he knew what would happen here because it happened every other time he took a swing at Alex.

Again, given Vak/Diol's propensity for WMD strikes, and the roleplaying regions that would be impacted by same, there's no invitations to rescind. My neighbors and allies, who would be dramatically impacted by my country's potential destruction, which I am risking here, have every right to be here.
    Proud ODECON Member
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Akiwealth Member

Alexiandra
Senator

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

This is my final word.

Diol thought he knew exactly what he was letting himself in for. He was perfectly fine with a mismatch when it favoured him. Now that the tables have turned, he's whining about injustice and unfairness.

We will not limit our strength so that Diol can win and continue to feed his ego. We fight at full strength, or not at all.

It's Diol's choice.

Finium
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Salzland wrote:Respectfully, where was the call for a cap or restraint when the nations claimed on Diol's side mustered over 60 billion citizens, across multiple regions including one of the premier roleplaying regions in the game, against an alliance half that size, that by no means is guaranteed to participate 100% on the receiving end of a beatdown?

I think Diol's actions are equally inappropriate and I think Alex would have been better off calling for a cap then. Alex's "solution" is a horrid idea and I'm surprised that you would encourage an RP on this scale that is almost certainly guaranteed to fail miserably.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Salzland wrote:Respectfully, where was the call for a cap or restraint when the nations claimed on Diol's side mustered over 60 billion citizens, across multiple regions including one of the premier roleplaying regions in the game, against an alliance half that size, that by no means is guaranteed to participate 100% on the receiving end of a beatdown?

I'm sorry that this didn't turn into the curb stomp some people seem to have wanted, but I'm not responsible for doing other peoples' research regarding who they're attacking. Diol's been after Alex for 3 years now, he knew what would happen here because it happened every other time he took a swing at Alex.

Again, given Vak/Diol's propensity for WMD strikes, and the roleplaying regions that would be impacted by same, there's no invitations to rescind. My neighbors and allies, who would be dramatically impacted by my country's potential destruction, which I am risking here, have every right to be here.

Actually, I have started precisely 1 agressive war against Alexiandra (in partnership with Nitom.)
The first war involving both myself and Alex, which you also started getting involved in, was rightfully retconned as it was a training rp for my ICT teacher who knew nothing about NationStates, which you happily dragged out of all proportions.

Now, I don't know if you enjoy rping against 2 rp regions and some miscelanious nations, but I certainly don't.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents