NATION

PASSWORD

Increasing Spending Doesn't Cure Bad Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Increasing Spending Doesn't Cure Bad Schools?

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:30 pm

This topic has long been an interest of mine as I have long suspected that policies of social democrats and other leftists tend to push for increased government spending in hopes of improving education in particular. But does it work? However, I found this societal experiment in a shocking form in Kansas City, Missouri. It would be useful to try an experiment: Take one of the most underfunded and worst-performing big-city educational systems, pour lots of resources into it, build the best schools imagination can create and then watch what happens.

But what happened there would be shocking. Student performance didn't increase one iota, even if it did stem the exodus of white students from Kansas City to the outlying suburbs. The dropout rate, depending on how it's measured, has remained the same or risen since 1985. About 60 percent of the kids who start high school in Kansas City never finish. Daily attendance rates have fallen, while they have been stable in the rest of Missouri.

As a result, I have a few questions to ask NSG. If it didn't work in this experiment of attempting to both desegregate and improve the performances of an underperforming urban school does that mean that school infrastructure doesn't matter as much as the student's backgrounds in the terms of performance? And what does it mean for other government spending if it failed to work in schools will it work elsewhere?

I believe that infrastructure is clearly worthless in the terms of getting students to desire education. They see it as little more than a gilded prison in a state of the art facility when compared to more rudimentary structures. Secondly, it makes me believe that government spending may not be nearly as fruitless in producing returns, but better buildings doesn't always equal better results whether it's a government building to house offices or a school.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Again, you need to make education more about quality, not quantity. Standardised testing is more of an exercise in mass production than a true measure of intellect and skill. Boost a child's skill by increasing collaboration, learning not just how to solve a problem, but how to find problems, start with real world examples, expose a child to culture, and make the schooling environment more geared towards symbolical analytics.

DEC-LAND
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DEC-LAND » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Schools in KC are so bad that they are run by the court system. My mother grew up going to private school(She lived in KC) because no one in their right mind would send their child to public school there.
Join region: AELDORIN DEFCON=4

Any questions? TG me!

HUMAN AND FOUNDER OF THE NS PURITY ALLIANCE
Member of the Geofictional Works Society!
"My posts are like the movie The Shawshank Redemption: They're really good."
Путин - хуйло

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Again, you need to make education more about quality, not quantity. Standardised testing is more of an exercise in mass production than a true measure of intellect and skill. Boost a child's skill by increasing collaboration, learning not just how to solve a problem, but how to find problems, start with real world examples, expose a child to culture, and make the schooling environment more geared towards symbolical analytics.

It is actually also a fascinating thing as the US wasn't fully rabid on standardized tests for every single grade during the 1980s and early 1990s and thus used the dropout rate as a measure of success.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Again, you need to make education more about quality, not quantity. Standardised testing is more of an exercise in mass production than a true measure of intellect and skill. Boost a child's skill by increasing collaboration, learning not just how to solve a problem, but how to find problems, start with real world examples, expose a child to culture, and make the schooling environment more geared towards symbolical analytics.

^This.

There has to be more examinations of the reasons something happens, and not just that it happens. This is true of a wide range of subjects, from science, to math, to history.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:51 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

^This.

There has to be more examinations of the reasons something happens, and not just that it happens. This is true of a wide range of subjects, from science, to math, to history.

I believe it's likely that the lack of performance increase says that the students backgrounds probably mean far more. There's no draining blood out of a turnip for example.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:^This.

I believe it's likely that the lack of performance increase says that the students backgrounds probably mean far more. There's no draining blood out of a turnip for example.

Well, that two, but I don't think we'd be able to do much about that without fundamentally changing the economic forces.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I believe it's likely that the lack of performance increase says that the students backgrounds probably mean far more. There's no draining blood out of a turnip for example.

Well, that two, but I don't think we'd be able to do much about that without fundamentally changing the economic forces.

The problem is does this suggest that money that could be aimed at improving school infrastructure could be better spent in some other form.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 pm

This just illustrates that above a certain level of funding you get diminishing returns. It doesn't discredit the idea that underfunding can cause problems.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:This just illustrates that above a certain level of funding you get diminishing returns. It doesn't discredit the idea that underfunding can cause problems.

I suspect the US for the most part has been overfunding to the point that much of the budget is spent on administration instead of education.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:This just illustrates that above a certain level of funding you get diminishing returns. It doesn't discredit the idea that underfunding can cause problems.

I suspect the US for the most part has been overfunding to the point that much of the budget is spent on administration instead of education.

Based on...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Oh yeah, there are probably more administrators than are necessary, yet several teachers at my school were let go, most likely as a result of funding.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Student performance didn't increase one iota,

Because school is boring and nobody actually wants to be there, it's just a bunch of bureaucrats in the government that made school compulsory. A lot of my friends didn't even listen in school.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 pm

I have yet to find a teacher that actually thinks that a bureaucrat with no teaching experience can do a better job than they can in the classroom. Funding more bureaucrats isn't going to help the school, obviously. I'd rather see the same money going to paying for free, universal education in chosen private schools optionally.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I suspect the US for the most part has been overfunding to the point that much of the budget is spent on administration instead of education.

Based on...

The lack of performance increase in Kansas City after that experiment. The school district went from not being able to pay it's bills on time to having a bloated bureaucracy. Many other large school districts also followed suit in expanding their administration in hopes of avoiding lawsuits.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Arkolon wrote:I have yet to find a teacher that actually thinks that a bureaucrat with no teaching experience can do a better job than they can in the classroom. Funding more bureaucrats isn't going to help the school, obviously. I'd rather see the same money going to paying for free, universal education in chosen private schools optionally.

Yet, the politicians and judges believe that they can do a better job.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Based on...

The lack of performance increase in Kansas City after that experiment. The school district went from not being able to pay it's bills on time to having a bloated bureaucracy. Many other large school districts also followed suit in expanding their administration in hopes of avoiding lawsuits.

And this single experiment somehow let you know that overfunding is the problem nationwide? That's some leapy-logic.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Arkolon wrote:I have yet to find a teacher that actually thinks that a bureaucrat with no teaching experience can do a better job than they can in the classroom. Funding more bureaucrats isn't going to help the school, obviously. I'd rather see the same money going to paying for free, universal education in chosen private schools optionally.

Yet, the politicians and judges believe that they can do a better job.

Monetary policy, product regulation, marriage, law, taxation, justice.. what do politicians and judges think they can't do better than everyone else?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:38 pm

That's not overfunding so much as poor management.

There are a few places where underfunding is an actual problem and schools close early because they don't have the funding to keep them open for a normal length school day. Other places have adequate funding and just need to be organized more effectively. And some schools are actually decent. The US education system varies dramatically from state to state and county to county, so it doesn't make much sense to generalize about the country as a whole.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Couasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Couasia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:38 pm

How about take a page from Finland, and encourage highly-performing students to join the teaching profession?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:The lack of performance increase in Kansas City after that experiment. The school district went from not being able to pay it's bills on time to having a bloated bureaucracy. Many other large school districts also followed suit in expanding their administration in hopes of avoiding lawsuits.

And this single experiment somehow let you know that overfunding is the problem nationwide? That's some leapy-logic.

Remember, the other schools weren't being shoveled money like the KC district did but the administration still grew. The source may be questionable, but the fact the student and teacher funds grew at a far slower rate than the administration budget did.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Essentially this. The states need better educators, not more administrators to administrate the school while the system goes to shit.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Obviously investing just in schools isn't going to fix the underlying socioeconomic problems plaguing the US education system. The state needs to provide investment in many areas, so that the "background" of these students, as OP described, will be improved.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:
Student performance didn't increase one iota,

Because school is boring and nobody actually wants to be there

Speak for yourself.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:
Because school is boring and nobody actually wants to be there

Speak for yourself.

I can legally leave school in a few months. Looking forward to it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General