NATION

PASSWORD

Relax gun laws

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Relax gun laws

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Chicago police face overwhelming gun crime as 45 people shot over weekend

Police officials point to need for stricter gun laws after city suffers bloody Easter weekend in which nine people were killed

Link

His remarks came as Chicago suffered its bloodiest weekend of the year. Dozens of residents were shot in a series of separate incidents. On the city’s south side, five children aged between 11 and 15 were shot while walking home from a park on Sunday evening.

The four girls and one boy were asked if they were affiliated with a gang, and then shots were fired from a light-coloured sedan, a police spokesman said. An 11-year-old girl was in a critical condition in hospital after being shot in the neck. A 14-year-old girl was in a serious condition after suffering a shot to her abdomen. A 14-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl were stable after being shot in the left leg and right arm respectively. Another 14-year-old girl suffered a grazed buttock.

The shootings occurred less than a mile from the south-side porch where Gakirah Barnes, a 17-year-old girl, died after being shot nine times the previous weekend. “We are looking at whether this could have been a retaliation for previous shootings,” Andrew Holmes, a community organiser, said on Monday morning.

About two hours after the five children were shot on Sunday evening, a 15-year-old girl was shot in the back while sitting in a car at a traffic light in the north-west of the city. Police said that a group of three men had flashed gang signs before one opened fire.

At least nine people were killed around the city over the Easter weekend, including 16-year-old Jordan Means, who, along with 18-year-old Anthony Bankhead, was found shot dead in an apartment on the south side on Saturday morning.

Surely we should be allowing kids to own guns so they can defend themselves and therefore reduce violence overall?

Means’s mother, Camille Cochran, told local media that the pair were shot over a dispute that had been raging on Facebook.

..oh, and ban Facebook.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 pm

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a kindergartener with a gun who still has yet to learn basic multiplication.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Thafoo wrote:The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a kindergartener with a gun who still has yet to learn basic multiplication.

Wrong. A kindergartner with a thermonuclear missile will do it too. Therefore, we should allow children to own nuclear weapons for personal use. Not adults, of course. Just children.
piss

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Chicago PD should probably focus more on combating gangs (which, to be fair, are only problems that are exacerbated by state and federal policy, so they're a problem that's really big for them to try and combat effectively without structural reforms) rather than scapegoating firearm laws.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Chicago police face overwhelming gun crime as 45 people shot over weekend

Police officials point to need for stricter gun laws after city suffers bloody Easter weekend in which nine people were killed

Link

His remarks came as Chicago suffered its bloodiest weekend of the year. Dozens of residents were shot in a series of separate incidents. On the city’s south side, five children aged between 11 and 15 were shot while walking home from a park on Sunday evening.

The four girls and one boy were asked if they were affiliated with a gang, and then shots were fired from a light-coloured sedan, a police spokesman said. An 11-year-old girl was in a critical condition in hospital after being shot in the neck. A 14-year-old girl was in a serious condition after suffering a shot to her abdomen. A 14-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl were stable after being shot in the left leg and right arm respectively. Another 14-year-old girl suffered a grazed buttock.

The shootings occurred less than a mile from the south-side porch where Gakirah Barnes, a 17-year-old girl, died after being shot nine times the previous weekend. “We are looking at whether this could have been a retaliation for previous shootings,” Andrew Holmes, a community organiser, said on Monday morning.

About two hours after the five children were shot on Sunday evening, a 15-year-old girl was shot in the back while sitting in a car at a traffic light in the north-west of the city. Police said that a group of three men had flashed gang signs before one opened fire.

At least nine people were killed around the city over the Easter weekend, including 16-year-old Jordan Means, who, along with 18-year-old Anthony Bankhead, was found shot dead in an apartment on the south side on Saturday morning.

Surely we should be allowing kids to own guns so they can defend themselves and therefore reduce violence overall?

Means’s mother, Camille Cochran, told local media that the pair were shot over a dispute that had been raging on Facebook.

..oh, and ban Facebook.

no all guns should be banned.

We should make sure gangs don't have them either.

A country is never safe if any kid could shoot up a whole neighborhood any time.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

That's really saddening.

The Chicago Police did a great job in the 90's cracking down on gangs, and they lowered the violent crime rate significantly through increased spending to alleviate poverty, and increased spending on police forces and drug prevention programs. They need to do that again.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Link

..oh, and ban Facebook.

A country is never safe if any kid could shoot up a whole neighborhood any time.[gun here.te]

And how do you plan to ensure that gangs don't have guns? Make them illegal? Because guess what - criminals don't obey the law. I mean, the UK has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world, and gangs still get hold of guns here...
Last edited by New Aerios on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

New Aerios wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

A country is never safe if any kid could shoot up a whole neighborhood any time.[gun here.te]

And how do you plan to ensure that gangs don't have guns? Make them illegal? Because guess what - criminals don't obey the law. I mean, the UK has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world, and gangs still get hold of guns here...[/quote]

The UK has a significantly lower violent crime rate than America because of it's gun laws.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

New Aerios
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
The UK has a significantly lower violent crime rate than America because of it's gun laws.

In raw numbers, yes, as the UK has a smaller population.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

When you look at percentages, though, we have over double the assaults, over double the rapes...
Last edited by New Aerios on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

New Aerios wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

And how do you plan to ensure that gangs don't have guns? Make them illegal? Because guess what - criminals don't obey the law. I mean, the UK has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world, and gangs still get hold of guns here...

You would use the police to stop them.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

The Scientific States wrote:The UK has a significantly lower violent crime rate than America because of it's gun laws.

*Violent crime rate between UK and USA experiences difficulties in comparison due to differing definitions. UK actually has a significantly larger violent crime rate if I remember correctly. But it doesn't account for the same crimes.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

New Aerios wrote:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

When you look at percentages, though, we have over double the assaults, over double the rapes...

You seem to be ignoring the murder by firearms section...
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

New Aerios
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
New Aerios wrote:

Because they're doing a great job so far, aren't they...

New Aerios
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm

New Aerios wrote:

Which doesn't differentiate between legally and illegally acquired firearms being used. I'd hazard a guess that the rate of illegally acquired firearms in murders is pretty much the same in both countries, although I'll go have a look for some evidence now.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:The UK has a significantly lower violent crime rate than America because of it's gun laws.

*Violent crime rate between UK and USA experiences difficulties in comparison due to differing definitions. UK actually has a significantly larger violent crime rate if I remember correctly. But it doesn't account for the same crimes.

If you look at the source New Aerios provided, you'll see that the murder by firearms in the US is ridiculous compared to the small number of firearm deaths in Britain. I'm not going to deny that rape and assaults are actually more common in Britain, since those claims were sourced, and are true, but it seems that we have a much bigger gun problem in the US then in Britain.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

New Aerios wrote:

Which doesn't differentiate between legally and illegally acquired firearms being used. I'd hazard a guess that the rate of illegally acquired firearms in murders is pretty much the same in both countries, although I'll go have a look for some evidence now.

If that was the case, that doesn't help your point. A murder is a murder, whether done with a legally required firearm or an illegally required one. You're saying that we clearly have a problem with people murdering others with their legally owned guns, so wouldn't it make sense to put some restrictions on legally owned guns to reduce gun deaths? I'm not saying we should be as restrictive as Britain, but we need some restrictions.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

New Aerios
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm

The Scientificstates wrote:
New Aerios wrote:

If that was the case, that doesn't help your point. A murder is a murder, whether done with a legally required firearm or an illegally required one. You're saying that we clearly have a problem with people murdering others with their legally owned guns, so wouldn't it make sense to put some restrictions on legally owned guns to reduce gun deaths? I'm not saying we should be as restrictive as Britain, but we need some restrictions.

My original point was to do with gun control being unable to prevent criminals from acquiring guns. Besides, other crime rates in Britain are much higher than the US. Maybe (speculation, again I'll go look for evidence) that's because only the criminals are armed.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/aug/30/ukcrime1

And I'm back:
- Criminal use of handguns rose 40% after ban:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm
- Article on increase in UK violent crime after gun ban:
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/12/11/gun-crime-soars-in-england-where-guns-are-banned-n1464528
- This one seems to be mainly anecdotal, but there's an interesting little fact in there about the guy responsible for the Dunblane massacre and subsequent handgun ban. He simply lied to the police to get his gun licence...:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1366463/Dunblane-gun-law-has-been-failure-says-marksman.html
Last edited by New Aerios on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm

New Aerios wrote:

..and for both rapes and assaults, it's like 2x the amount of a pretty low figure, whereas guns and murders are significantly different.

However, the UK kicking ass on the drugs front.
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm

New Aerios wrote:

My original point was to do with gun control being unable to prevent criminals from acquiring guns. Besides, other crime rates in Britain are much higher than the US. Maybe (speculation, again I'll go look for evidence) that's because only the criminals are armed.

All I'm saying is, that because we have a problem with legal guns, which you acknowledged, shouldn't we do something about it.a, instead of assuming "well, then we'll have an illegal gun problem?"
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 pm

If you outlaw laws, only outlaws will have laws...

Icatus
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Icatus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
New Aerios wrote:

Not that simple.

EDIT: I'd go on a rant and explanation why it isn't that simple, but I'll restrain myself because I'm sleepy and I probably type incoherent gibberish, and/or make myself look like a moron.
Last edited by Icatus on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Population: 217 Million
Military: 684,315
Tech: Modern

Factbook, lists most military and other fairly-important information.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm

New Aerios wrote:

All I'm saying is, that because we have a problem with legal guns, which you acknowledged, shouldn't we do something about it.a, instead of assuming "well, then we'll have an illegal gun problem?"

As gun control opponents love to point out, the vast majority of illegal firearms were once legal firearms. We of course have a problem with legal firearms, namely we're really bad at stopping them from becoming illegal firearms.
Yes.

New Aerios
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

New Aerios wrote:

US gun homicide stats are measured in a rather strange manner. They don't go on whether a person is found guilty of murder, but on whether a person was killed. This means that even if a person is found not guilty - like in the case of self defence - they will still be a little number on a homicide rate graph. US gun homicide rate is an unreliable statistic, as it is bloated by lawful killings - those in defence of self or others. Therefore, the " problem" is almost certainly nowhere near as bad as it seems from looking at the numbers.

Ooh, and I've put a couple more sources and articles in a previous post.
Last edited by New Aerios on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Thafoo wrote:If you outlaw laws, only outlaws will have laws...

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.. but I think guns help.

Eddie Izzard

十年

United Martains
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Martains » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

I've just been looking in to gun laws, so might as well discuss it here. Where on earth is the logic to say that more guns stop gun violence? If anyone actually looked into the statistics (like I have been doing), you will find that countries which allow the use of firearms have higher firearm related deaths, and countries with more restrictive gun laws have lower firearm related deaths. So why on earth do people suggest that restrictive gun laws don't stop gun violence?
"The best attack is a good defense... wait, what?"
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General