NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal Commend The NationStates Community

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Venico wrote:This however is about an April Fools day event. I'm glad Max had fun as many people did but Commendations are for changing the world for the better. This got passed in the hype of a celebration. But we wouldn't commend someone for Zombies would we? Or how about we commend TEP for the Bytecoin? No? How about Bach? Look at all the cooperation that was behind Bach becoming so great on that day? It wouldn't be a commendation for him...it'd be a commendation for them! Yes yes! Oh goody let's do that.

:roll: I respect your decision but I hope this esteemed council has higher standards than that.

Already beat you to it, bruh. :lol:
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Venico wrote: :roll: I respect your decision but I hope this esteemed council has higher standards than that.

So commending for 'serious purposes' is a higher standard than commending fun?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:So commending for 'serious purposes' is a higher standard than commending fun?

Yes.
Just some weeb.

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Writing down something in the history books and saying "This nation has done so much work. They defended these regions, they helped develop a thriving culture, they helped new nations who struggled to understand the world. They were truly one of the best nations to grace this land. And next we have a nation that won April Fools day..."

Those two should not be on the same level. A commendation is raising a nation up due to their unique characteristics and impact they had on the world at large. I'll commend a defender who does it for fun, I don't care. My issue is that this commendation lowers the standard for what a commendation is given out for.
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Venico wrote:Writing down something in the history books and saying "This nation has done so much work. [...] They were truly one of the best nations to grace this land. And next we have a nation that won April Fools day..."

Those two should not be on the same level.

Indeed they are not the same. The first type of nation is one among hundreds. The second is a representation of one very unusual time when thousands of nations came together to make fun. And that uniqueness is what made it so special. If you want to commend unique nations, why do you want to repeal one of the most unusual commendations we've ever passed?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Zanestre
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Waste of time?

Postby Zanestre » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

I think the point of the repeal is that the original commendation was a self-righteous waste of time. But the repeal is also a waste of time. Aren't there better things to be working on than repealing bs laws that don't effect the lives of anyone anyway? Instead, maybe we should make a resolution banning ridiculous legislation.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:56 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
Venico wrote:Writing down something in the history books and saying "This nation has done so much work. [...] They were truly one of the best nations to grace this land. And next we have a nation that won April Fools day..."

Those two should not be on the same level.

Indeed they are not the same. The first type of nation is one among hundreds. The second is a representation of one very unusual time when thousands of nations came together to make fun. And that uniqueness is what made it so special. If you want to commend unique nations, why do you want to repeal one of the most unusual commendations we've ever passed?

Except it's not unique. It happens every April Fools day and there are multiple groups doing it every time. Just because a small clique harasses people into giving up their part in the day doesn't mean they deserve commendation.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 am

Zanestre wrote:I think the point of the repeal is that the original commendation was a self-righteous waste of time. But the repeal is also a waste of time. Aren't there better things to be working on than repealing bs laws that don't effect the lives of anyone anyway? Instead, maybe we should make a resolution banning ridiculous legislation.

Sounds like a GA matter =P I can either Commend, Condemn, or Repeal. Your choice bub.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:41 am

Venico is on pace to match Rachel's first SC attempt as far as overall approval goes.
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:04 am

SkyDip wrote:Venico is on pace to match Rachel's first SC attempt as far as overall approval goes.

Do I get a cookie if I beat that? =P
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Venico wrote:
SkyDip wrote:Venico is on pace to match Rachel's first SC attempt as far as overall approval goes.

Do I get a cookie if I beat that? =P

You get my admiration, which is waaaaaay better than a cookie. :P

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 am

Eist wrote:I am FOR this although I do not think you will get it passed.

Yikes...
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

Venico wrote:Eist, you help me make it better and I'll handle getting it passed. =P

=P How about we pursue this deal a little further next time eh? ;)
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

The United States of France
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United States of France » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

Venico wrote:
APPROVE HERE

Repeal “Commend The NationStates Community”

Category: Repeal | Resolution: SC#86 | Proposed by: Venico

The Security Council,

ACKNOWLEDGING that a number of nations worked together on April 1 2012 in order to compile a majority of shares in the company NationStates,

APPLAUDING that these nations could cooperate in such a way,

Good luck with that.

POINTING OUT that The NationStates Community was commended for a singular event,

CONCERNED that this nation has not done much of note beyond this event,

ASSERTING that The NationStates Community has not performed any world changing activities, nor have the actions of this nation affected the world or World Assembly at large,

APPALLED that the nations supporting The NationStates Community attacked regions and nations who held out from contributing their shares, most notably the attacks on Texas,

BELIEVING this nation performed no great service with their actions nor were they unique in their endeavor of consolidating and gathering stocks,

FINDING the merits of SC#86 entirely lacking and The NationStates Community not worthy of being commended by this council,

HEREBY REPEALS SC#86

I'd like to thank SkyDip for helping me edit this before posting it, and for allowing me to use a clause from one of his past resolutions as a base for one of my lines. Give me your thoughts folks. :)

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 am

The United States of France wrote:<snip>

Did...did you just copy the entire OP with no other commentary?

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

The United States of France wrote:snip

Well said good sir. The way you speak reminds me of a highly intelligent being but with class and charm.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:02 pm

It was the words what done it.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:34 pm

You did in fact improve this resolution's wordiness. =P
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Nolgaria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolgaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:57 pm

AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM THE NOLGARIAN EMBASSY TO THE WORLD ASSEMBLY REGARDING "REPEAL 'COMMEND THE NATIONSTATES COMMUNITY'"

Ambassador Vaska Markovic wrote:Based on the arguments presented forward in this resolution and having seen no real affect by the NationStates Community on the world or international affairs in general, it is my decision to vote IN FAVOR of this resolution

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:46 pm

With a smile on his face the Night Father finished reading the response from Nolgaria. "Valtarre, bring me some ink." he beckoned at the second in command. Ven truly enjoyed getting messages like these and brought out some crisp papyrus. He wrote:

Dearest Ambassador Markovic,

The Brotherhood is delighted to hear of your approval and would like to thank you for your support. We hope in future resolutions that you will continue to support us and if you have issues that you will lodge them. I personally would like to ask about how you're enjoying your WA participation and if you're finding it to your liking. I know it was very hard for me to immerse myself in it, but after watching enough I decided to join in.

If you have any questions or ever find yourself in Romule, please contact one of my men so we can meet. I have some brandy that I've been looking to pour for awhile and I think we'd enjoy our time together. Take care and don't be shy of writing me.

-The Night Father

Venico took the saucer of wax and held it over his candle for a minute or two. I've sent too many letters like this the past week he thought to himself as he waited. Once the wax was hot Ven drew his knife and use the pommel to seal the letter with the sigil of Malice. He handed it to Valtarre and leaned back in his chair, knowing that soon victory would be at hand.
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Congrats, Venico.
Just some weeb.

Venico
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks Ram. :) And thank you to everyone who made it possible. Stay tuned for more VeniRes's. :D
Priest of Raider Unity

Malice Never Dies...

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Venico wrote:Thanks Ram. :) And thank you to everyone who made it possible. Stay tuned for more VeniRes's. :D

^_^ It'll be nice to have more than three active SC authors. :P
Just some weeb.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives