NATION

PASSWORD

Why only two sets?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Why only two sets?

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 pm

So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?
What say you, NS? ( :lol: That was the first time I've ever said that!).

User avatar
Pope Joan
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13521
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I know someone who has grown multiple rows of teeth, like a shark.

It is cumbersome and uncomfortable.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

User avatar
Salandriagado
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7471
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

User avatar
Alyekra
Minister
 
Posts: 2792
Founded: May 03, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alyekra » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 pm

I know some people who get really old sometimes get a third set.

EDIT: Or maybe not.
Last edited by Alyekra on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---V O L U N T A R I S T---C O N S E R V A T I V E---
Pro:
Mark 12:31
Philosophy
Idealism*
Property Rights
Moral Objectivism
G.K. Chesterton
Anti:
Authoritarianism
Unexamined lives
Materialism*
Relativism
Postmodernism
Apathy
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem,
it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
"
~ David Friedman (Allegedly)
Feel free to send me a telegram for any reason.
- -

User avatar
Avenio
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10744
Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Avenio » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Because the jaw and the skull both evolved from highly-modified tissue associated with the vertebrae. Bilateral symmetry applies.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 20058
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Check out my newest memes! https://imgflip.com/user/Looonatic

User avatar
Shaluach
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 397
Founded: Feb 03, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby Shaluach » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(

Sounds rather painful.
Last edited by Ronald Reagan on January 20, 1989, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reagan criticisms shot down
Pretentious, no. Prog rock, yes!
PRO:I like certain things.
AGAINST: I also dislike certain things.
Bezombia wrote:
Shaluach wrote:Urgh. I never really liked Reddit. But, I only want to start using it because they have a couple good progressive rock subreddits.


You can just ignore all the bad parts. Just like NS.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.

But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.
Also, because its uncomfortable shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Survival's survival.

User avatar
Sun Wukong
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6198
Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

User avatar
Shaluach
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 397
Founded: Feb 03, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby Shaluach » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Etha wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.

But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.
Also, because its uncomfortable shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Survival's survival.

The problem here is that we can actually survive without more than a second set of teeth.
Last edited by Ronald Reagan on January 20, 1989, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reagan criticisms shot down
Pretentious, no. Prog rock, yes!
PRO:I like certain things.
AGAINST: I also dislike certain things.
Bezombia wrote:
Shaluach wrote:Urgh. I never really liked Reddit. But, I only want to start using it because they have a couple good progressive rock subreddits.


You can just ignore all the bad parts. Just like NS.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.

...?
Suck it Shaluach! You can't do Squat on here! MWAHAHAHA!!!

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Shaluach wrote:
Etha wrote:But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.
Also, because its uncomfortable shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Survival's survival.

The problem here is that we can actually survive without more than a second set of teeth.

But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

User avatar
Goeiehoopland
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 124
Founded: Mar 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Goeiehoopland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Etha wrote:But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?
Followup question: is it the same universe where meat is cooked, greens are smoked, and food is artificially processed?
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.
Praise the almighty Helix Fossil.
Defy democracy and mod worship.

User avatar
Ailiailia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18518
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ailiailia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Etha wrote:So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?
What say you, NS? ( :lol: That was the first time I've ever said that!).


Evolutionarily, chewing things like grain came along too late to change something so basic. That's my guess, but there is considerable doubt about what the "neolithic" diet actually was.

I really wish it was possible to grow more teeth. My last set are pretty bad. Hopefully science can come up with something better than dentures before that's my only option.
Also, oloroso.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.
Enadail wrote:So wait, if I started calling my friend Mike's golfing "illegal golfing", it'd be illegal even without violating any laws? AWESOME!

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"

I stood outside for a while, but I could still hear the band.
Just one more dance then ...

My current thread: Come Haiku fighting.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Goeiehoopland wrote:
Etha wrote:But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?
Followup question: is it the same universe where meat is cooked, greens are smoked, and food is artificially processed?

The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

User avatar
Ailiailia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18518
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ailiailia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.


:lol:
Very bad for their industry if just anyone could grow teeth.
Also, oloroso.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.
Enadail wrote:So wait, if I started calling my friend Mike's golfing "illegal golfing", it'd be illegal even without violating any laws? AWESOME!

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"

I stood outside for a while, but I could still hear the band.
Just one more dance then ...

My current thread: Come Haiku fighting.

User avatar
Sun Wukong
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6198
Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Etha wrote:
Goeiehoopland wrote:In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?
Followup question: is it the same universe where meat is cooked, greens are smoked, and food is artificially processed?

The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Etha wrote:So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?
What say you, NS? ( :lol: That was the first time I've ever said that!).


Evolutionarily, chewing things like grain came along too late to change something so basic. That's my guess, but there is considerable doubt about what the "neolithic" diet actually was.

I really wish it was possible to grow more teeth. My last set are pretty bad. Hopefully science can come up with something better than dentures before that's my only option.

Well, in places where this possibly could occur, it's probably prevented due to the Whole world's gene pool being mixed together due to Global travel and the such. But if you could put Boundary Bubbles around certain areas around the world, it might start to occur.

User avatar
Big Jim P
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39474
Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(


Brother, I hear you.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara. The first RL NS marriage!
Satanist~NRA member~D.A.C.A.~Educate Yourself~Assian~Gun Control~Assault Rifles
Son of Nana and Gallo, Proud Papa of Gidgetisms, Chatty and Cill, Uncle of Hath.
R.I.P. to my Arch-nemesis, New Maldorania

How gun-friendly is your state?
If you do not like private gun ownership in America, amend the constitution. The blood will be on your hands.

A Texan stuck in New York and hating every single minute of it. It is the festering, oozing, disease-filled rectum of the U.S.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Etha wrote:The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.

Well, those deaths would not account for a large percentage of the pop., and as such would be mostly irrelevant.

User avatar
Sun Wukong
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6198
Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Etha wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.

Well, those deaths would not account for a large percentage of the pop., and as such would be mostly irrelevant.

The same is true for people who die on account of loosing all their teeth.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

User avatar
Sun Wukong
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6198
Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(


Brother, I hear you.

I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Chiropractor Union is a powerful lobby.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

User avatar
Ailiailia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18518
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ailiailia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Etha wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:
Evolutionarily, chewing things like grain came along too late to change something so basic. That's my guess, but there is considerable doubt about what the "neolithic" diet actually was.

I really wish it was possible to grow more teeth. My last set are pretty bad. Hopefully science can come up with something better than dentures before that's my only option.

Well, in places where this possibly could occur, it's probably prevented due to the Whole world's gene pool being mixed together due to Global travel and the such. But if you could put Boundary Bubbles around certain areas around the world, it might start to occur.


Considering wisdom teeth, evolution seems to have taken us towards fewer teeth rather than more.

Sun Wukong wrote:
Etha wrote:The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.


Good point. A mutation which provides a third set of teeth is more likely to kill (before breeding age even) than to provide any individual benefit.

We're looking for family or tribe benefit in older people still being able to chew, and that necessarily takes a lot longer to evolve than an individual advantage.
Also, oloroso.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.
Enadail wrote:So wait, if I started calling my friend Mike's golfing "illegal golfing", it'd be illegal even without violating any laws? AWESOME!

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"

I stood outside for a while, but I could still hear the band.
Just one more dance then ...

My current thread: Come Haiku fighting.

User avatar
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(


Brother, I hear you.

Big Jim P
Post Czar

Posts: 34687
Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State
? That's...An odd Founding date...

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 20058
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Etha wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Brother, I hear you.

Big Jim P
Post Czar

Posts: 34687
Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State
? That's...An odd Founding date...


He's been around longer than SARS. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Check out my newest memes! https://imgflip.com/user/Looonatic

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Ebola-, -Louisistan-, Alistan, Allanea, Anarcosyndiclic Peons, Antagonizt, Arkinesia, Blasted Craigs, Celritannia, Conserative Morality, Constantinopolis, DesAnges, Elejamie, Ethel mermania, Exabot [Bot], Fascist Empire of Great Britain, Fascist Republic Of Bermuda, Felix Dote, Gallade, Google [Bot], Hickory smoke, Holy Empire of Avalon, Hurdegaryp, Ifreann, Imperializt Russia, Insaeldor, Jamzmania, Jinwoy, Kiruri, KwaDai, Lemanrussland, Lewis Armistead, Lindenholt, Lordieth, Males, Napkiraly, Neurotic Pandas, New Edom, Ninta, Pope Joan, Psuedopolis, Reverend Norv, Rhodisia, Sovereign the Reaper, Sumarma, Sun Wukong, Tagmatium, Tgs, The balkens, The New Age Republic, The UK in Exile, The United Districts of Wanderers, The Yorkshire Commonwealth, Ursidae Imperium, Washington Resistance Army, Wolfenia

Remove ads