NATION

PASSWORD

Camels in Genesis not historically accurate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Does the carbon dating evidence have any meaning for evaluating the Bible in a different way?

Yes, it shows historical distance
44%
No, it's not important
21%
I prefer alpacas
35%

Total votes : 120

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Camels in Genesis not historically accurate?

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:36 am

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ca ... 42100.html

TL;DR: New carbon dating evidence suggests camels were not domesticated until the 10th century B.C. As they are mentioned in the Bible at a time supposedly earlier than that, some say the discovery is a sign of the authors' distance from history. Others say it's inconsequential.

Biblical scholars have long been aware many of the stories and accounts in the sacred book were not written by eyewitnesses, and according to new research, further evidence of that historical distance has appeared in the form of a hump-backed camel.

New research using radioactive-carbon dating techniques shows the animals weren't domesticated until hundreds of years after the events documented in the Book of Genesis. The research was published by Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen, archaeologists from Tel Aviv University in Israel. They believe camels were not domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean until the 10th century B.C.

And yet, the hump-backed creatures are mentioned repeatedly alongside Abraham, Jacob and Isaac, indicating the Bible's writers and editors were portraying what they saw in their present as how things looked in the past, says a New York Times article by John Noble Wilford:

These anachronisms are telling evidence that the Bible was written or edited long after the events it narrates and is not always reliable as verifiable history. These camel stories "do not encapsulate memories from the second millennium," said Noam Mizrahi, an Israeli biblical scholar, "but should be viewed as back-projections from a much later period."

Via National Geographic:

While there are conflicting theories about when the Bible was composed, the recent research suggests it was written much later than the events it describes. This supports earlier studies that have challenged the Bible's veracity as a historic document.

The biblical angle wasn't the focus of the recent research, though, just an after-the-fact observation.

The question over "phantom camels" is not new one, according to TIME magazine. Biblical scholar William Foxwell Albright "argued in the mid-1900s that camels were an anachronism."

In an opinion piece for CNN, Joel Baden writes that there was no deception intended on the part of the Bible's authors.

"Biblical authors," Baden writes, "simply transplanted the nomadic standards of their time into the distant past. There is nothing deceptive about this. They weren’t trying to trick anyone. They imagined, quite reasonably, that the past was, fundamentally, like their present."

A similar conclusion was reached by Smithsonian.com author Colin Schultz, who wrote, "these findings don't necessarily disprove all the stories of the Bible. Rather, knowing that there are camels where there definitely shouldn't be shows that the Bible's authors, working thousands of years after the events they were describing were supposed to take place, took a modern lens to these ancient tales."

To me, this isn't anything super surprising, so I'd be inclined to say it's just evidence of the authors' transplanting standards of past time. If it proves anything, it may just be that the Bible isn't an accurate judge of biological history, but I suspect many people guessed that already. What say you?
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 am

Carbon dating is B.S.

New Echo
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Echo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:Carbon dating is B.S.

I googled your sentence and the first page was results from christian websites. I think that makes your claim illegitimate.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 am

Carbon dating is not B.S and the New Testament also doesn't make a mention of the sacking of Jerusalem by Rome. So make what you want of that.

But I don't think that camels and the Bible being non-mutual or historically inaccurate is really kind of ambiguous in the sense that different parts of the Bible were written at different times, much of it after the presumed death of Jesus Christ. So I'd agree with the idea that it's inconsequential, as most camels in Arabia are imported from Australia anyway (at least for racing).
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Ecumene
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ecumene » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:52 am

Yeah...no

Nation Name: The Ecumene
Home World: Erde-Tyrene
Capital City: Eden
Form Of Government: Constitutional Democratic Theocracy
Head Of State: First Councilor Clear Storms Of Distant Stars
Legislature: Ecumene Council
Judicial Court: The Mantles Court
Military Size (Organic): 13 Trillion
Military Size (Synthetics): 6 Septillion
Territory (Planets, Moons, Stations): 500
Shield Worlds: 500
% For Civilian Population: 900
% For Industry: 100
% For Military: 10
Halo Arrays: 7
Galaxies Under Control: 0, because it is unneeded to do so and is unnecessary.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:52 am

Got any proof?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Imperial Montagne
Civilian

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Montagne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 am

There are a lot of historical inaccuracies in the bible, especially the English versions. I presume it was just another mixup somewhere along translation, ya know?

I'm too lazy to actually read the article, so it may be brought to my attention otherwise.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:

Got any proof?

Unless they test every camel fossil in the world they cant prove how old the oldest camel is. By their logic if they tested a human corpse from the 50's they could say that humans did not exist in the 40's.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:04 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

Carbon dating is not B.S and the New Testament also doesn't make a mention of the sacking of Jerusalem by Rome. So make what you want of that.

But I don't think that camels and the Bible being non-mutual or historically inaccurate is really kind of ambiguous in the sense that different parts of the Bible were written at different times, much of it after the presumed death of Jesus Christ. So I'd agree with the idea that it's inconsequential, as most camels in Arabia are imported from Australia anyway (at least for racing).

Most of the New Testament can be dated before the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple. Only 1 John through 3 John, and Revelation, have been dated after 70 AD/CE, and all of those were written by the same author, who was probably in the Ephesus area. Furthermore, the letters were probably written more than a decade after the siege, and are much shorter and succinct than Paul's writings.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 am

Imperial Montagne wrote:There are a lot of historical inaccuracies in the bible, especially the English versions. I presume it was just another mixup somewhere along translation, ya know?

It is. Most of it really cannot be translated into modern English due to the substantial differences not only between the different languages themselves but also because the changes in words and how they are used.

Empire of Narnia wrote:Unless they test every camel fossil in the world they cant prove how old the oldest camel is. By their logic if they tested a human corpse from the 50's they could say that humans did not exist in the 40's.

Oh for the love of Christ. It's not about proving how old a camel is but about when it was first domesticated, i.e when certain animals stopped being "wild" and became tame and accepted the touch and responded to commands said by humans. Radio carbon dating is the most effective tool scientists have to determine the age of rocks and fossils up until 1950. Because the atomic age has released so much radiation into the atmosphere that surface rocks and bones buried today would not be identifiable.

That is not to say that it doesn't work for older rocks that haven't absorbed radiation i.e the fossils the scientists were studying.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Most of the New Testament can be dated before the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple. Only 1 John through 3 John, and Revelation, have been dated after 70 AD/CE, and all of those were written by the same author, who was probably in the Ephesus area. Furthermore, the letters were probably written more than a decade after the siege, and are much shorter and succinct than Paul's writings.

But does it mention it?

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:07 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Imperial Montagne wrote:There are a lot of historical inaccuracies in the bible, especially the English versions. I presume it was just another mixup somewhere along translation, ya know?

It is. Most of it really cannot be translated into modern English due to the substantial differences not only between the different languages themselves but also because the changes in words and how they are used.

Empire of Narnia wrote:Unless they test every camel fossil in the world they cant prove how old the oldest camel is. By their logic if they tested a human corpse from the 50's they could say that humans did not exist in the 40's.

Oh for the love of Christ. It's not about proving how old a camel is but about when it was first domesticated, i.e when certain animals stopped being "wild" and became tame and accepted the touch and responded to commands said by humans. Radio carbon dating is the most effective tool scientists have to determine the age of rocks and fossils up until 1950. Because the atomic age has released so much radiation into the atmosphere that surface rocks and bones buried today would not be identifiable.

That is not to say that it doesn't work for older rocks that haven't absorbed radiation i.e the fossils the scientists were studying.

Unless they have the bones of every camel t have ever existed they can't find out when it was first domesticated. If all they had was a camel bone from 1800 they would think the camel was first domesticated in the 1800's.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Most of the New Testament can be dated before the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple. Only 1 John through 3 John, and Revelation, have been dated after 70 AD/CE, and all of those were written by the same author, who was probably in the Ephesus area. Furthermore, the letters were probably written more than a decade after the siege, and are much shorter and succinct than Paul's writings.

But does it mention it?

Uh, no. Though, again, all but those books were written before Jerusalem ever came under attack, and the only author still alive and writing was in Turkey and "would rather not use paper and ink" when communicating with fellow believers.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Unless they have the bones of every camel t have ever existed they can't find out when it was first domesticated. If all they had was a camel bone from 1800 they would think the camel was first domesticated in the 1800's.

Still a better alternative then saying "God did it"

Just my two cents....
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:Unless they have the bones of every camel t have ever existed they can't find out when it was first domesticated.

They can. Firstly, they look in areas where humans were known or perceived to have made permanent settlements i.e the Fertile Crescent in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) and look through the bones of animals present if they find any. If they do, they dig them up or take samples from them and send them to laboratories to date them and come up with a time period. They don't need all camel fossils in order to do this because camels were not domesticated at the same time. Finding fossils in areas known for the earliest signs of civilization or areas where early civilizations were already established and examining and dating the bones there is the best way of establishing what animals were domesticated and when. Of course, this is always subject to change, as the only constant within science is uncertainty. It's only ever considered fact until new evidence or discoveries are made.

If all they had was a camel bone from 1800 they would think the camel was first domesticated in the 1800's.

Of course. And until new evidence is unearthed proving this wrong, it would be considered fact. Take the recent discovery of fossilized footprints in the UK for example. Originally, archaeologists would have concluded that the first humans appeared on the British isles at a much later date but this proves that assumption to be false. But that assumption itself was only made based on the evidence that archaeologists had discovered at that point in time.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:20 am

The person copying the Mesopotamian stories slipped in some contemporary detail.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:20 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Uh, no. Though, again, all but those books were written before Jerusalem ever came under attack, and the only author still alive and writing was in Turkey and "would rather not use paper and ink" when communicating with fellow believers.

Thank you for reaffirming my point.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Unless they have the bones of every camel t have ever existed they can't find out when it was first domesticated.

They can. Firstly, they look in areas where humans were known or perceived to have made permanent settlements i.e the Fertile Crescent in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) and look through the bones of animals present if they find any. If they do, they dig them up or take samples from them and send them to laboratories to date them and come up with a time period. They don't need all camel fossils in order to do this because camels were not domesticated at the same time. Finding fossils in areas known for the earliest signs of civilization or areas where early civilizations were already established and examining and dating the bones there is the best way of establishing what animals were domesticated and when. Of course, this is always subject to change, as the only constant within science is uncertainty. It's only ever considered fact until new evidence or discoveries are made.

If all they had was a camel bone from 1800 they would think the camel was first domesticated in the 1800's.

Of course. And until new evidence is unearthed proving this wrong, it would be considered fact. Take the recent discovery of fossilized footprints in the UK for example. Originally, archaeologists would have concluded that the first humans appeared on the British isles at a much later date but this proves that assumption to be false. But that assumption itself was only made based on the evidence that archaeologists had discovered at that point in time.

They still can't find it out because older bones could just have not been found yet. All this means is the oldest camel fossil they have yet found was not as old as the Bible. Until they find every camel fossil in the world and test them they can't prove that their were older camels than the one they tested.

Greater Mlytoria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mlytoria » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

They still can't find it out because older bones could just have not been found yet. All this means is the oldest camel fossil they have yet found was not as old as the Bible. Until they find every camel fossil in the world and test them they can't prove that their were older camels than the one they tested.
Begone, vile incarnation of fallaciousness! *waves lint brush in Narnia's general direction*
Evil is; I live!

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 am

Oral Tradition -> Turned into literary tradition starting circa 1000 B.C. -> oral tradition being the highly adaptable, changing medium it is, used contemporary material culture as a reference point -> Chronologically nonsensical camels in stories that have been shown to be ahistorical for a long, long time already (Basically, everything up until after Joshua is nonsense).

I'm not really clear on what's supposed to be so special about this? We've similar examples in Greek myths - the Myceaneans covered by Homer using Iron weapons when it should be Bronze -, so... Yeah.

Girls und Nation
Attaché

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Girls und Nation » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:34 am

Alpaca's rock.
"You can say what you want, but you'll do as I say!"
We are a nation of mostly female Little bit Beastly people with a government system founded on the principle of "If you think you can do better, fight your way to the top."

Orennana
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Orennana » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:36 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

No, they can't. But equally, they can't prove there weren't camels at that time. Of the two, proving there weren't camels is the one that's not possible ever. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absense.
IMO, as a Christian with a strong basis in science (and currently studying archaeology so I know a lot about radiocarbon dating) there is no doubt that the Bible, while not 100% true, contains truth throughout. For example, God didn't create the world in six days. That story was made up to demonstrate the truth of God as creator. I do believe, however, that anything mentioned after the flood actually happened. So if it says there were camels in Biblical times, there were camels in Biblical times. The fact that the Bible is currently the only evidence we have does not mean it's not true.
As for the sacking of Jerusalem, as mentioned above only a very small number of New Testament books were written after the event, and it wasn't mentioned because it simply wasn't relevant to the recipients of the letters or the story the author was trying to tell.
Male, with strong feminine tendencies. Use whichever personal pronoun you fancy.
Puppet Master of Manchardas and Falupia. This nation more or less follows my political ideals. | Factbook
Sportswire
Official trigram: ORN
IBS V finalists!

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 am

Well, the Bible is really a compilation of multiple sources, many of which are in turn translations of earlier sources. So it's nothing unusual for a later author/editor to project aspects of life familiar to his society onto his work. In the times when the Bible was composed, the intended message mattered more than historical accuracy.

By analogy, look at illustrations of Medieval Bibles. The images show Biblical kings dressed in contemporary royal attire, the Roman legionnaires present at the crucifixion of Christ are depicted as Medieval knights with contemporary armor and weapons, the Jews are likewise shown in contemporary Jewish attire with their distinctive pointed hats. Images in a book pertaining to the Baltic Crusades depict the Nordic heathens of the Baltic region as dark-skinned Saracens. The goal of these illustrations was to convey a message that the reader could readily understand without having extensive knowledge in the history and culture of foreign lands, an understandable approach considering the scarcity of first-hand sources in a time when literacy and books were precious luxuries. To a Medieval European without exposure to Mongols and their ways, a culture-specific term like khan would mean nothing, so a book pertaining to Mongols would simply call a khan "king of the Mongols". The author would not go into detail when depicting or describing specific Mongol equipment like the short compound bows or distinct armor - even if he had first-hand knowledge of it, his readers most likely wouldn't, so he simply would proceed to depict Mongol warriors as his European contemporaries, knights and men-at-arms wearing plate or mail armor and shooting ordinary longbows, at most depicting them as scimitar-wielding Saracens in appearance to emphasize their difference.

The same is likely true for the author of this particular passage in the Bible - he lived in a period when camels were commonplace in his region, and simply couldn't imagine a world without them.

Of course, there's always another possibility that camels were domesticated earlier than thought. If so, it wouldn't be the first time that new discoveries push back the domestication date of a common domestic animal. The Old Testament is generally a reliable source on ancient Near Eastern history, although it is obviously heavily entwined with legend and later additions, as was common back in the day when people weren't yet concerned with altering a historical source.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 am

geez of course there were camels.

what they are saying is that there were no DOMESTICATED camels before 1000bc. that is a harder thing to pinpoint but anthropologists/archeologists can probably be pretty sure about it within 1000 years. (just a guess, im neither of those things)
whatever

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 am

HOLY SHET SOMTHIN IN TEH BIBEL IS WRONG EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!

In a more serious note, Genesis is pretty much one big parable.
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads