NATION

PASSWORD

Bill Maher calls Special Needs Child Retarded

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Lerodan Chinamerica
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1884
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Bill Maher calls Special Needs Child Retarded

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 am

Let me straighten this out: I don't like Sarah Palin. I think she's an embarrasment and a misrepresentation of what the Republican Party should be. (She's hot, though.) But I found it absolutely disgusting when comedian Bill Maher called Sarah Palin's son Trig, who has Down syndrome, "retarded".

Some of you will say 'it was just a joke, get over it'. But I find it abhorrable when anyone mocks a handicapped person, especially if they're a child. It was also a pathetic shot at Palin. If he wants to attack a politician, he should do it directly, not insult their child. That's just low.

What do you think, NSG?
In the ideological wilderness between Minarchist and Voluntaryist.

Alter-ego: President of Libertatem. Join our region for pizza, raids and debates!

Mozria wrote:You, sir, have officially derailed the Reagan haters.

The Rich Port wrote:I find Chinamerica's description of Mitt Romney as an "interesting fellow" baffling and makes me wonder if he is also an android.

Brocwika wrote:Oh my god I fucking love you.

Tubbsalot wrote:I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is? Are you a robot?

Viritica wrote:You are the best person who's ever lived.

80 arguments statists make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 am

it was just a joke, get over it.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10191
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:13 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Lerodan Chinamerica
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1884
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.

Typical liberal.
In the ideological wilderness between Minarchist and Voluntaryist.

Alter-ego: President of Libertatem. Join our region for pizza, raids and debates!

Mozria wrote:You, sir, have officially derailed the Reagan haters.

The Rich Port wrote:I find Chinamerica's description of Mitt Romney as an "interesting fellow" baffling and makes me wonder if he is also an android.

Brocwika wrote:Oh my god I fucking love you.

Tubbsalot wrote:I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is? Are you a robot?

Viritica wrote:You are the best person who's ever lived.

80 arguments statists make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 am

Suprisingly, Handicapped people (by and large) don't appreciate your attitude of "Well we musn't make fun of them."
They are handicapped, not delicate little flowers.
So Bill Maher made a joke and it was in poor taste.
Ok. So what? He's paid to make jokes. He made thousands before this one that weren't like this. I think it's safe to say that in an attempt to ride the line between funny and insulting, he staggered onto one side.
Thats to be expected.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21905
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.


More like Maher just trying to be an unfunny ass like always.
Wonder what the reaction would've been if it had been one of Obama's precious little ones that Mayer mocked.
War Gears Academy a rp about cute, psychologically unstable girls in mechanized battle armor based on Cold War Military Craft.

If you have any questions, embarassing confessions, or just want to waste some time, my tg box is always open.

User avatar
Lerodan Chinamerica
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1884
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Suprisingly, Handicapped people (by and large) don't appreciate your attitude of "Well we musn't make fun of them."
They are handicapped, not delicate little flowers.

Trig is barely five years old. You're simply looking for an excuse to try and justify the 'joke'. Partisanship like that is completely deplorable; I would show the same reaction if it was a conservative mocking a Dem's child.

Disgusting.
In the ideological wilderness between Minarchist and Voluntaryist.

Alter-ego: President of Libertatem. Join our region for pizza, raids and debates!

Mozria wrote:You, sir, have officially derailed the Reagan haters.

The Rich Port wrote:I find Chinamerica's description of Mitt Romney as an "interesting fellow" baffling and makes me wonder if he is also an android.

Brocwika wrote:Oh my god I fucking love you.

Tubbsalot wrote:I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is? Are you a robot?

Viritica wrote:You are the best person who's ever lived.

80 arguments statists make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Suprisingly, Handicapped people (by and large) don't appreciate your attitude of "Well we musn't make fun of them."
They are handicapped, not delicate little flowers.

Trig is barely five years old. You're simply looking for an excuse to try and justify the 'joke'. Partisanship like that is completely deplorable; I would show the same reaction if it was a conservative mocking a Dem's child.

Disgusting.


Trust me, I'd be making this same argument if it was a conservative mocking a dems child.
He made a bad joke. Get over it.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21905
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:17 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Suprisingly, Handicapped people (by and large) don't appreciate your attitude of "Well we musn't make fun of them."
They are handicapped, not delicate little flowers.
So Bill Maher made a joke and it was in poor taste.
Ok. So what? He's paid to make jokes. He made thousands before this one that weren't like this. I think it's safe to say that in an attempt to ride the line between funny and insulting, he staggered onto one side.
Thats to be expected.


Calling a handicapped kid "retarded" is not "making fun of them." It's just being malicious.
War Gears Academy a rp about cute, psychologically unstable girls in mechanized battle armor based on Cold War Military Craft.

If you have any questions, embarassing confessions, or just want to waste some time, my tg box is always open.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Suprisingly, Handicapped people (by and large) don't appreciate your attitude of "Well we musn't make fun of them."
They are handicapped, not delicate little flowers.
So Bill Maher made a joke and it was in poor taste.
Ok. So what? He's paid to make jokes. He made thousands before this one that weren't like this. I think it's safe to say that in an attempt to ride the line between funny and insulting, he staggered onto one side.
Thats to be expected.


Calling a handicapped kid "retarded" is not "making fun of them." It's just being malicious.


If he called Sarah Palin retarded, would you care?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21905
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Calling a handicapped kid "retarded" is not "making fun of them." It's just being malicious.


If he called Sarah Palin retarded, would you care?


I'd be mildly indignant but I wouldn't care much. Maher always sprouts off vile at Republicans.
War Gears Academy a rp about cute, psychologically unstable girls in mechanized battle armor based on Cold War Military Craft.

If you have any questions, embarassing confessions, or just want to waste some time, my tg box is always open.

User avatar
The Cookish States
Minister
 
Posts: 2478
Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Cookish States » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Trig is barely five years old. You're simply looking for an excuse to try and justify the 'joke'. Partisanship like that is completely deplorable; I would show the same reaction if it was a conservative mocking a Dem's child.

Disgusting.


Trust me, I'd be making this same argument if it was a conservative mocking a dems child.
He made a bad joke. Get over it.

Honestly, I don't believe that Ostro. I generally just defend conservatives in situations like this because I know that liberals tend to be better at defending eachother and causing a shitstorm.
Oh, is this sig supposed to make you laugh?

User avatar
TaQud
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15959
Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.

but, just like Bill Maher, they both weren't funny even though he was trying to make a joke.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

User avatar
Lerodan Chinamerica
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1884
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Calling a handicapped kid "retarded" is not "making fun of them." It's just being malicious.


If he called Sarah Palin retarded, would you care?

That's irrelevant, because she's not technically retarded. It would be a more obvious joke than deliberating taking a potshot at a politician's disabled child.
In the ideological wilderness between Minarchist and Voluntaryist.

Alter-ego: President of Libertatem. Join our region for pizza, raids and debates!

Mozria wrote:You, sir, have officially derailed the Reagan haters.

The Rich Port wrote:I find Chinamerica's description of Mitt Romney as an "interesting fellow" baffling and makes me wonder if he is also an android.

Brocwika wrote:Oh my god I fucking love you.

Tubbsalot wrote:I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is? Are you a robot?

Viritica wrote:You are the best person who's ever lived.

80 arguments statists make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
If he called Sarah Palin retarded, would you care?


I'd be mildly indignant but I wouldn't care much. Maher always sprouts off vile at Republicans.


What do you think Retarded means?
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:22 am

TaQud wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.

but, just like Bill Maher, they both weren't funny even though he was trying to make a joke.


So you don't find him funny. Neither do I, most of the time. Fact is, enough people do to pay his salary.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
If he called Sarah Palin retarded, would you care?

That's irrelevant, because she's not technically retarded. It would be a more obvious joke than deliberating taking a potshot at a politician's disabled child.


So, don't watch the show. Seems simple enough. If it's as offensive as you say, surely Maher will lose audience over it.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21905
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
TaQud wrote:but, just like Bill Maher, they both weren't funny even though he was trying to make a joke.


So you don't find him funny. Neither do I, most of the time. Fact is, enough people do to pay his salary.


Irrelevant. Just because people find him funny doesn't justify mocking a five year old little boy just because of his disability. Mayer is supposed to be an adult.
War Gears Academy a rp about cute, psychologically unstable girls in mechanized battle armor based on Cold War Military Craft.

If you have any questions, embarassing confessions, or just want to waste some time, my tg box is always open.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
So you don't find him funny. Neither do I, most of the time. Fact is, enough people do to pay his salary.


Irrelevant. Just because people find him funny doesn't justify mocking a five year old little boy just because of his disability. Mayer is supposed to be an adult.


He already has paid the price. People who think he sucks don't watch him.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
Lerodan Chinamerica
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1884
Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:That's irrelevant, because she's not technically retarded. It would be a more obvious joke than deliberating taking a potshot at a politician's disabled child.


So, don't watch the show. Seems simple enough. If it's as offensive as you say, surely Maher will lose audience over it.

That's like saying 'a politician stated he doesn't like black people the other day, but I don't care because I didn't see him say it'. People have the right to criticise stuff.
In the ideological wilderness between Minarchist and Voluntaryist.

Alter-ego: President of Libertatem. Join our region for pizza, raids and debates!

Mozria wrote:You, sir, have officially derailed the Reagan haters.

The Rich Port wrote:I find Chinamerica's description of Mitt Romney as an "interesting fellow" baffling and makes me wonder if he is also an android.

Brocwika wrote:Oh my god I fucking love you.

Tubbsalot wrote:I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is? Are you a robot?

Viritica wrote:You are the best person who's ever lived.

80 arguments statists make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21905
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Irrelevant. Just because people find him funny doesn't justify mocking a five year old little boy just because of his disability. Mayer is supposed to be an adult.


He already has paid the price. People who think he sucks don't watch him.


No, not really. People probably still love him.
War Gears Academy a rp about cute, psychologically unstable girls in mechanized battle armor based on Cold War Military Craft.

If you have any questions, embarassing confessions, or just want to waste some time, my tg box is always open.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21993
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
So, don't watch the show. Seems simple enough. If it's as offensive as you say, surely Maher will lose audience over it.

That's like saying 'a politician stated he doesn't like black people the other day, but I don't care because I didn't see him say it'. People have the right to criticise stuff.


Sure.
And if you decided not to vote for the guy, that's fine too.
But don't act like it's suprising that a comedian will tell an offensive joke. It happens all the time. A politician saying that would be extra-ordinary.
A comedian telling a bad joke? Very ordinary.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Special Snowflake Syndrome
A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9914
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Herrebrugh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:29 am

He sounds like a dumb Hans Teeuwen...

User avatar
Tubbsalot
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8973
Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:29 am

I have no idea who this is, but if he's a comedian, what did you expect? Have you ever seen a comedian before? Do you know what comedy is?

Are you a robot?

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:it was just a joke, get over it.

Typical liberal.

LOL more like LIEberals am i right??? more like LIE-COMMIES ROFL!!! GOOD ONE HA HA HAHA AH
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

User avatar
Tubbsalot
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8973
Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:31 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:Wonder what the reaction would've been if it had been one of Obama's precious little ones that Mayer mocked.

Someone call the air ambulance, I'm suffocating under all this fucking persecution, shit.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alternaterealityethiopia, Ashmoria, Bing [Bot], Creative Vikings, Duvniask, European Socialist Republic, Exabot [Bot], Gallade, Germanic Templars, Hallo Island, Hladgos, Holochrome, Ifreann, Kannap, Lemanrussland, Liberonscien, Londsdale, Mighty Asgard, Morphius, Murkwood, NorthEast Alliance, Scholmeria, Tavistock, Teufelvolk, Thafoo, The Grand Duchy of Muscovy, The Picti, The Republic of Pantalleria, The United Brony Armies, Yahoo [Bot]

Remove ads