NATION

PASSWORD

The Roleplayers Union (OOC Organization)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

The Roleplayers Union (OOC Organization)

Postby The Grand World Order » Tue May 15, 2012 3:48 pm

The Roleplayers Union

indentIt's no secret. The quality of roleplay on the International Incident forums has been decreasing ever since the transfer from Jolt Forums- some would say exponentially. While organizations such as the NationStates Trainers and Mentors are making an admirable effort at making many see the light of roleplay, we still see a forum with huge amounts of room for improvement regarding the quality of roleplay.

Thus, it has become necessary for those of us who legitimately feel a passion about roleplaying to band together. Our time and effort is valuable, and too often, it has been utterly ruined by one-liner posts and godmoding. The Moderators can not, and should not, enforce roleplay. Instead, we are told to simply ignore those who would ruin our roleplays- but what if we've never had an experience with an RPer? The chance for them to destroy something beautiful is very much present.

Attempts to directly assist in the clearly losing battle to improve the quality of the forums- a struggle which WAS recognized by the administration when it created the Mentors/Trainers- have been struck down by the Mods on multiple accounts. We will take their advice; we shall refrain from cluttering threads with OOC chatter.

The Roleplayers Union is a direct-democratic organization to promote good roleplaying conduct and block out those who can and will ruin their hard work. It is not a cabal of social elitists- anyone is free to apply to join, and all that is required for acceptance is a simple majority vote. We simply seek to band together to protect our work, and maybe help contribute to improving overall RP quality here in the International Incidents forum.

The Union shall primarily operate via the "Union/Invite" tag, although Union members are not restricted to Union-tagged RPs.

The only factor which is to be considered in regards to accepting a new member is the quality of their writing and behavior towards other players. Social status, in-character conflicts, size, RL, or ideals should not be considered.

There is no "leader" of the Union, only administrators to maintain the forums and keep the Union organized.

Members of this group are NOT to assume that we have any actual authority over non-members. This is a user-created group, and as such, has no official authority within this website.

FORUM LINK

For further information, feel free to contact me (The Grand World Order) via TG or Skype (preferably the latter, since real-time chat and voice are more convenient). DO NOT CLUTTER THIS THREAD WITH QUESTIONS. Quick contact with other members is highly preferred for reasons of coordination and convenience, but is not necessary.

My Skype name is mrflylice, and I'm usually online.

APPLICATION FORM:

* marks an optional slot.

Account Name:
Techs RPed in:
RP Example 1:
RP Example 2:
RP Example 3:
*RP Examples 4-10: (Please move down a line with each link)
Roleplaying Organizations (regions, alliances, etc.):
Any offsite RP experience?:
Puppets?:
Languages spoken:

Members (8):
-The Grand World Order
-Aquitayne
-Monavia
-Harkonna
-New Hayesalia
-Birkaine
-The Black Plains
-Izzyshipper
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm

I greatly agree with all of your points, and would be happy to help create such an organization for the growth of great RPers and RPs throughout II.

Account Name: Aquitayne
Techs RPed in: MT, rarely FT
RP Example 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=160802
RP Example 2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138076& (Earlier posts may be crappy, check towards after p. 5, more towards the end of the RP)
RP Example 3: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=161829
Roleplaying Organizations (regions, alliances, etc.): UEN, TLIN
Any offsite RP experience?: Some, not exponential or mentionable, though.
Puppets?: None.
Languages spoken: English
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Spooty
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spooty » Tue May 15, 2012 4:31 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:It's no secret. The quality of roleplay on the International Incident forums has been decreasing ever since the transfer from Jolt Forums-

Urm... nope.

Also you should check out the Writing Project, it's very similar, though less outright hostile, to what you're doing.

Okay, so the complaint you highlighted, the one I quoted up top, is not a new nor shocking discovery, about every half a year some purported veteran decides to run the bandwagon of either "Help the newbies!" or "Get rid of the Newbies!" Sometimes this has been a small thing, you're able to brush it aside like it doesn't matter, but sometimes it clogs up the forums so bad you can't see the good RPers cos they're all busy running round an invisible problem.

I'm gonna make a pretty large assumption but it's only a hypothesis, your ego got bruised. I saw what happened on the Orson Civil War thread, and I even kept up with the moderation thread, your approach of thread-jacking and bullying didn't work and got you warned, when you know what might have helped? Letting two friends play out their game in peace, they'll make mistakes, pick each-other up, learn, go back, re-write, edit and understand and over time they'll become valuable contributing members of II. I'm gonna ask ye two questions: When you were a kid did you ever play, like, Cowboys and Indians, or Cops and Robbers, or anything else like that, I'm gonna bet that if you did the writing was pretty terrible, did you give up? Or did your inability to form cohesive and complex narratives at that time in any way inhibit your abilities now? Second question, do you think there's anyone here who's not embarrassed by their first few posts, maybe not on NS but in any other open roleplaying setting? Schglee, the first RP I made featured three puppets duking it out, it lasted two pages, much to the annoyance of other players and had an over insistence upon Ninjas and Clowns.

My suggestion for all this, have fun, and let people have fun, there's nothing that others are doing which is in any way harming your own abilities to RP.
Last edited by Spooty on Tue May 15, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the worlds largest Pineapple Pie

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Spooty wrote:
Urm... nope.

That's an interesting interpretation.

Spooty wrote:Also you should check out the Writing Project, it's very similar, though less outright hostile, to what you're doing.

Hostile? I fail to see how making a universal thread application is hostile.

Spooty wrote:I'm gonna make a pretty large assumption but it's only a hypothesis, your ego got bruised. I saw what happened on the Orson Civil War thread, and I even kept up with the moderation thread, your approach of thread-jacking and bullying didn't work and got you warned, when you know what might have helped?

Not at all. Roleplayers Union was something I've been pondering on for a while. You can ask folks in the IRC I used to frequent, or those who I have been in correspondence with.

Spooty wrote:My suggestion for all this, have fun, and let people have fun, there's nothing that others are doing which is in any way harming your own abilities to RP.

Once again, you've an interesting interpretation.

However, this is not a discussion thread, so please don't bother replying, lest you be "bullying" and "threadjacking" like you claim we were. Thanks.

Aquitayne, at a vote of 1-0 (seeing as I'm the only member), you are now a Unionized Roleplayer.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

Cabickstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabickstan » Tue May 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Account Name: Cabickstan

Techs RPed in: PT, MT

RP Example 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=161738&p=8374431#p8374431 Rather Fun RP I have to Admit
RP Example 2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151248&p=7671453#p7671453
RP Example 3: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138982&p=7077282#p7077282
RP Example 4-10: ....
Organizations, alliances: IC Council of Advisers doesn't want any "Entangling Alliances"
Any offsite RP experience: Nope
Puppets: Calablan
Languages Spoken: English
Allies: Paddy O Fernature, New Hayesalia, Calablan, The Colonized Union

Note: ICly, Cabickstan is an Inoffensive Centist Democracy

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Tue May 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Sorry, this won't work. It will be locked soon.
Formerly Wellboneland, add 1982 posts.
I use the stats of my old nation. I have 2 billion people and 4 million soldiers.
Tulija wrote:Immature; good comic relief.
Our Tech Level is MT, and call us Wellboneland.
Our military

I am not a likable person at first, but it always comes back to this.
My Little Nutella
Bacon Tacos with Alekcandor!
99% of our people ICly act like this.
WE ARE NOT PONYISTS OMG IF YOU CALL US PONIES ONE MORE TIME...

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Spooty wrote:My suggestion for all this, have fun, and let people have fun, there's nothing that others are doing which is in any way harming your own abilities to RP.

It's great that this is how you concluded your post, in which you attacked GWO for making a group that does not in any way harm your own ability to RP.

(I will delete this post if GWO wants me to, it is plainly off-topic)
Last edited by Leistung on Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed May 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Cabickstan wrote:Account Name: Cabickstan

RP Example 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=161738&p=8374431#p8374431 Rather Fun RP I have to Admit
Organizations, alliances: IC Council of Advisers doesn't want any "Entangling Alliances"

At a vote of 0-2, you have been denied entry into the Union. Apologies.
Basque American

Cabickstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabickstan » Wed May 16, 2012 4:02 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Cabickstan wrote:Account Name: Cabickstan

At a vote of 0-2, you have been denied entry into the Union. Apologies.

Very Well.

Jeez I thought my RPing Was Decent...
Allies: Paddy O Fernature, New Hayesalia, Calablan, The Colonized Union

Note: ICly, Cabickstan is an Inoffensive Centist Democracy

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Monavia's Application

Postby The State of Monavia » Wed May 16, 2012 9:31 pm

After joining the Writing Project, I thought that I might be able to do some good here as well. Here's my application:

APPLICATION FORM:

* marks an optional slot.

Account Name: The State of Monavia. I roleplay under the name "Imperial Federation of the Monavian Empire."
Techs RPed in: MT at present; I have considered doing FT for the last year or two but never had enough ideas for that yet.

Most of these threads should be in chronological order.

RP Example 1: Internal Tensions: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64683 (character-driven internal politicking)
RP Example 2 : Smoke on the Water: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17968 (enough good reading material to keep you occupied for days)
• Beiraqi naval war: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20286
• Beiraqi Theater: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39304
• Peace treaty negotiations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45070
• End of war: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51992
RP Example 3: Hostile Takeover Bid: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54366 (intervention in the Prevanian Civil War)

4. Tailville, DR International Antislavery Conference Part I: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82213
5. Tailville, DR International Antislavery Conference Part II: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101623
6. Operation Nemesis: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=155807 (international drug war waged by the FUPF)
7. Invitations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152694 (conflict in my region)

I have a much longer listing that includes good threads that died due to the inactivity of others, OOC flaming by other parties, abandonment, or worse.

Roleplaying Organizations (regions, alliances, etc.): Nova (region), Delian league (multilateral alliance), Fegosian Union, multilateral alliance), bilateral pacts with the Holy Empire of Zaheran and the Free Republic of Lamoni, signatory to the Protocol on Territorial Integrity and Independent Self-Governance, signatory to the Kázmér Doctrine on Patriation of Liberated Slaves.
Any offsite RP experience?: Negligible, unless you count the old Jolt forums as offsite.
Puppets?: None at present.
Languages spoken: Fluent in English; some rudimentary knowledge of Serbian.

I realize that I have taken some liberties with the formatting of the application. Hopefully these will not be bothersome.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

NewtGingrich
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby NewtGingrich » Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 pm

You have my support...

But now I gotta ask. When you say application for RP you do mean for certain threads, and not all of them right?

Also I do feel bad for the newbs that just don't fully understand the process. It took me a long time of RPing with pro's to watch and learn from my mistakes. And I'm still learning.

Harkonna
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkonna » Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 am

Account Name: Harkonna (The Unified Federation of)
Techs RPed in: Early Post-Modern Tech (EPMT)
RP Example 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=167588
RP Example 2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166917
RP Example 3: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158722
Roleplaying Organizations (regions, alliances, etc.): Akkadia (Region).
Any offsite RP experience?: Considerable. I've been in several RP communities such as Discovery Freelancer, for example, and participated in a wide variety of Pen and Paper RPGs.
Puppets?: None.
Languages spoken: English (Quite Eloquently), and Google Translate.

EDIT; Mild RP sample of a work-in-progress post.

'The vast influx of sheer data that flowed through the Harkonnan National Intelligence Division was incredible to say the least. With the mind numbing multitude of nations that blanketed the great expanse of Terra, a single agency, no matter how capable, could not be expected to process every last scrap of data that passed through it. Instead, a comprehensive system of keywords and negations would sift through the massive flow of information 'sewage,' and pluck out what really mattered- relaying the information to varied departments within the HNID. At a desk, in a rather facetless, but functional office complex, a sharply uniformed HNID technician pored over a fresh set of data that the central processing core had dumped into his 'to analyse' folders, noting that he had marked the last batch as analyzed.

Among these myriad documents, was a rather briefly named audio file. "Jin-Gao-Plea-Genocide." The system named the various files it received based on the predominant, relevant keywords. Harkonna itself, particularly the HNID had been poring into the Joeson Dynasty for some time, a scant few field agents infiltrating the landscape to provide certain subtle tabs and provide sattelite reference points within the colonies- gathering information and relaying it covertly back to Harkonna proper. The agent's brow furrowed as he clicked on the file, opening it, and listening to the desperate, heartfelt plea.

There was no sense of sickness, or revulsion in the eyes of the Agent, as he listened. He simply ... Hardened. His teeth grit, and his eyes took on a blunted sheen. He immediately copied the file, and sent it to his division chief, marked high priority. With that, the Agent continued his work with a smouldering air. He almost hoped that the HCAF would order an extermination of those who had committed such a disgusting act. He mused on that bitterly, wondering tacitly if genocide was ever really justified. He shook his head, dismissing it with a dark grin, muttering to himself idly; "As long as the least Harkonnan blood is shed for the greatest advantage to Harkonna ..."'
Last edited by Harkonna on Thu May 17, 2012 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Great and Mighty Frances Callahan, Glorious Leader of Callahan's Wild Cards, Loyal TR Soldier, and a Potato Aficionado. (Also a woman.)

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 am

I'll join for, because whyever not.

Account Name: New Hayesalia
Techs RPed in: MT, light PMT, light FT
RP Example 1: I've RPed with you many times. But here: viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=5&t=174070
RP Example 2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=178394
RP Example 3: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=178386
Roleplaying Organizations (regions, alliances, etc.):
Any offsite RP experience?: Not massively.
Puppets?: East New Hayesalia, Montmaray
Languages spoken: English
Last edited by New Hayesalia on Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu May 17, 2012 1:22 am

NewtGingrich wrote:It took me a long time of RPing with pro's to watch and learn from my mistakes. And I'm still learning.

Even the best of the best make mistakes, and even still learn. No one is perfect. All you can do is do your best, and have fun, so long as you do not impede others from having fun in the process.

The ideal NS roleplayer should be someone not just with writing talent, but who can have fun with his or her fellow players. Reading the stickies is something I always encourage any newbie to do, but it is in the end their choice to do so or not. I have always been willing to help newbies get adjusted to the way things work around NationStates, but recently my methods were a tad too zealous. I wasn't in the right set of mind, then.

I'm not too particularly fond of my actions, but this is not the thread to make some spiel about how I regret those. (no, Fris, it wouldn't be a non-apology apology).

All I can say to you, Newt, is simple. Have fun, but try to have fun in a way that makes other players feel like they can have fun too.

Spooty wrote:Letting two friends play out their game in peace, they'll make mistakes, pick each-other up, learn, go back, re-write, edit and understand and over time they'll become valuable contributing members of II.

My suggestion for all this, have fun, and let people have fun.

Hopefully that will be the case. I will say, though, that until that is the case, that their form of "fun," is kept out of my threads.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Thu May 17, 2012 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Birkaine
Minister

Founded: Jan 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Birkaine » Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 pm

ECON (Engagement Condition):-3
-1. Total nuclear war -2. Total war -3. Large-scale war -4. Major war -5. Medium-sized conflict -6. Small conflict -7. Skirmish -8. War by proxy/economical war -9. International crisis -10. Peacetime

"When the cavalry needs cavalry someone f' up."
-Estainia

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:application

Harkonna wrote:application

New Hayesalia wrote:application

Birkaine wrote:application

I'm voting Aye on all of these, waiting on Aquitayne.
Basque American

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:application

Harkonna wrote:application

New Hayesalia wrote:application

Birkaine wrote:application

I'm voting Aye on all of these, waiting on Aquitayne.
Basque American

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Thu May 17, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm making the Terribl R-peers cluub.
I use the stats of my old nation. I have 2 billion people and 4 million soldiers.
Our military

My Little Nutella

Williamson
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Williamson » Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm

can't you some of you have a little more panicence with your fellow players. Some of them just not that good at rp. It takes a long time for people to learn how to role play. I'm not that good at roleplaying because i just started not to long ago. Try and help people who need it not reject them

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Thu May 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Williamson wrote:can't you some of you have a little more panicence with your fellow players. Some of them just not that good at rp. It takes a long time for people to learn how to role play. I'm not that good at roleplaying because i just started not to long ago. Try and help people who need it not reject them

"Oh, why dear, work on your horrible grammar first and then we can say you suck more."
Our military

My Little Nutella

Williamson
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Williamson » Thu May 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Former Wellboneland wrote:
Williamson wrote:can't you some of you have a little more panicence with your fellow players. Some of them just not that good at rp. It takes a long time for people to learn how to role play. I'm not that good at roleplaying because i just started not to long ago. Try and help people who need it not reject them

"Oh, why dear, work on your horrible grammar first and then we can say you suck more."

You do not need be so negative because anyone can say something behind i computer but i bet if we knew each other in real live you would say anything

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu May 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Williamson wrote:Try and help people who need it not reject them

The Moderators explicitly told us that our assistance is unwelcome. Therefore, we're taking their advice and rejecting those who do not meet the standards instead of directly trying to help them.

Once again, please TG questions/concerns to me or add me on Skype.

Former Wellboneland wrote:"Oh, why dear, work on your horrible grammar first and then we can say you suck more."

Unless you plan on participating in a constructive manner, stop posting here. Thanks.
Basque American

Former Wellboneland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Former Wellboneland » Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Williamson wrote:
Former Wellboneland wrote:"Oh, why dear, work on your horrible grammar first and then we can say you suck more."

You do not need be so negative because anyone can say something behind i computer but i bet if we knew each other in real live you would say anything

Calm down i'm being sarcastic.
Our military

My Little Nutella

Williamson
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Williamson » Thu May 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Former Wellboneland wrote:
Williamson wrote:You do not need be so negative because anyone can say something behind i computer but i bet if we knew each other in real live you would say anything

Calm down i'm being sarcastic.

Okay i just forget about this and move on if you do

Harkonna
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkonna » Thu May 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for the affirmative vote, GWO. It's appreciated.
The Great and Mighty Frances Callahan, Glorious Leader of Callahan's Wild Cards, Loyal TR Soldier, and a Potato Aficionado. (Also a woman.)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents