NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Double Jeopardy Prohibition"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Full support from Knootoss. Congratulations on quorum!

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm

We are highly pleased by this repeal's progress thusfar and will support it with all our available resources when it reaches the floor. Our most sincere congratulations and thanks to the honourable delegations from Mousebumples and Mallorea and Riva.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 pm

My sincere thanks to all of the delegates who have approved this measure and also to all of those ambassadors here on the forums who have supported this repeal from it's original inception.

As is slowly becoming a tradition around here, I shall yield the floor to a very skilled amphibian that is native to Mousebumples to lead us all in a Quorum!Dance ...

Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Gatchina Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gatchina Ministry of Foreign Affairs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm

His Majesty wishes to convey Congratulations to Ambassador Eberhart on achieving quorum to this most pleasing piece of legisltation! Kudos! It is obvious that His Majesty's Government supports this 100%! Keep up the good work!

-Col. George Hentzau
Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Supreme & Exalted Empire of Gatchina
The Holy Moosean Empire
Colonel George Hentzau
Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Supreme & Exalted Empire of Gatchina
Head of Government: Emperor Matthew XIV
National Anthem: https://sites.google.com/site/empireofg ... f-gatchina

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Our Republic extends our congratulations to Ambassador Eberhart and applauds this attempt. The full force of our government is in your support.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:45 am

Early At Vote bump! (OOC: I won't be around when this goes to vote in 3-ish hours.)

I'd like to begin by thanking those who have supported this repeal attempt so far - both in this thread and also those WA Delegates who have been supportive enough to approve the proposal during its submission stage.

Further, I know that the Ambassador from Alqania had started a replacement draft, but as she has not returned the chambers as of late, I'd like to thank The Lion for starting up a similar draft that could serve as a replacement for this legislation here, for your consideration and critique.

As always, the support of YOU and every ambassador here would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador from the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 am

As you may know, we support the repeal of this resolution given the flaws of the current resolution.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 am

We've voted in favor. Good Luck! :lol:
Ambassador Mitchell Ferris,
Plenipotentiary and Ambassador-at-large of Sciongrad

Knootoss
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 am

Voted FOR this resolution. The early popular vote is very much in favour too.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 am

I've voted FOR, but this may only be temporary, depending on the regional vote of my region which I have to abide by.

But at least I'm stacking in your favour. You can thank me later! ;)
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

New Mazovia
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Mazovia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

I voted AGAINST.

It's not true that existing Double Jeopardy Prohibition Resolution doesn't allow prosecution to appeal if the case ends without prejudice. It forbids new trial and make defendant guilty instead of not guilty.

Collecting of evidence shall not go on forever. Prosecution shall have time to collect it and shouldn't go with indictment to the court till enough evidences is collected to convict.

Prosecution shall act against judge or jury bias or tampering with evidence during the original proceedings.

Only if final verdict was forged or is a result of a crime, the original proceedings shall be admitted as never existing and only then second trial is possible.

In my opinion on the ground of existing Double Jeopardy Prohibition Resolution states can run their judicial systems in a just and reasonable manner as explained above. Any exceptions from the double jeopardy prohibition rule can lead to stalinisation of the world in the name of populist voices to fight the crime.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am

Friends, Romans, and Countrymen, lend me your ears. I have come to bury Alex Trebek, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives on beyond them, like the idea of doubling the scores on the second half of a game. Nay I insist that only regular Jepoardy be allowed, although Final Jepoardy might be permissible. But Double Jepoardy is right out. It sould remain prohibited in all nations of the WA.

(PAUSES TO SEE BLANK STARES)

You mean that is not the "Double Jeopardy" we are talking about here? Oh, nevemind.
Last edited by Retired WerePenguins on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 am

New Mazovia wrote:I voted AGAINST.

It's not true that existing Double Jeopardy Prohibition Resolution doesn't allow prosecution to appeal if the case ends without prejudice.

Except that it is true and it does.

It forbids new trial and make defendant guilty instead of not guilty.

Which immediately contradicts with your first statement.

Collecting of evidence shall not go on forever. Prosecution shall have time to collect it and shouldn't go with indictment to the court till enough evidences is collected to convict.

So after how long does your police force abandon a case? Since you obviously feel that if they haven't got a conviction within an acceptable time-limit then they should give up.

Only if final verdict was forged or is a result of a crime, the original proceedings shall be admitted as never existing and only then second trial is possible.

Which again, you can't do under the current resolution.

Effectively everything you have said is a reason to support the repeal, yet you choose to vote against it, perhaps reviewing your own evidence would be in order sir?

Deputy Ambassador Saunders
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:38 am

Support can be expected from The NationStates Community.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Datavia
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm

As usual, Datavia votes AGAINST the WA bureaucracy that requires repeal of reasonable rights in order to "improve" them thereafter. I would most gladly vote for such a repeal if it actually included some draft of the proposal to be later put at vote.

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Datavia wrote:I would most gladly vote for such a repeal if it actually included some draft of the proposal to be later put at vote.

So the author linking to one such draft of a proposal doesn't qualify in your books? (OOC: check the OP.)

Deputy Ambassador Saunders
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Datavia wrote:I would most gladly vote for such a repeal if it actually included some draft of the proposal to be later put at vote.

Which is impossible, the Secretariat would consider any such inclusion to be new legislation which according to The Proposal Rules can not be in a repeal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Happily voting for. Time to reclaim some modicum of sense.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

We rise in support of the World Assembly's continued efforts to clean house, ridding this body of poor legislation so that better may take its place. Keep up the good work, ladies and gentlemen.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Tibberiria
Attaché

Founded: Nov 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tibberiria » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

AverageBob wrote:Cannot support anything that reopens case if found not guilty in court. Too much room for abuse.

Agreed with this, but it doesn't look like it matters at this point. I just hope we can keep the replacement on the books a little longer.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Tibberiria wrote:
AverageBob wrote:Cannot support anything that reopens case if found not guilty in court. Too much room for abuse.

Agreed with this, but it doesn't look like it matters at this point. I just hope we can keep the replacement on the books a little longer.

If the replacement is well-written, which I am confident it will be, I am not planning to repeal it. I can't speak for others, of course, but it was the shortcomings of this resolution that drove me to assist and later take point on this repeal process.

I'm not opposed to prohibiting Double Jeopardy within WA member nations, overall. However, I feel that there are certain exceptions, which should be allowed, which the current resolution forbids.

Otherwise, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many MANY WA voters and WA delegates who have voted in favor to this point. Your support is greatly appreciated! :D
Proud Member of UNOG

Peoples Empire
Attaché

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Double Jeopardy Prohibition

Postby Peoples Empire » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 pm

my nation has voted in favor of the repeal and hopes it passes

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Needless to say, I am voting for. However, I will change my original stance of not supporting any replacement: I will only support a replacement if it allows nations to choose whether to allow double jeopardy in their borders, along, of course, with some barriers to prevent abuse of this allowance. But another blanket prohibition will be voted down by my delegation.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

The ShinRa Company 7
Civilian

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The ShinRa Company 7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 am

The ShinRa Company 7 denies the passage of this bill. For we believe that once you are acquitted of a said crime, you cannot be retried. It would be quite possible, if this legislation was reversed, to sway other people or nations to alter a previous verdict.

Therefore, I deny passage and will pray that my fellow WA members choose to do the same. However, at the end of the day--no matter the decision--I hope we are able to cast our differences aside no matter the outcome.
Last edited by The ShinRa Company 7 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:15 am

We support this repeal
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives