NATION

PASSWORD

Here We Go Again

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Here We Go Again

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=147219

The Eternal Thread of NationStates General seems to be experiencing the same difficulties that the original Flaming Wombat was towards the end of it's lifespan. That is to say, certain users (i.e. me) are experiencing issues with posting. After posting on the thread, it would normally take you to the "This message has been successfully posted" page. However, recently, whenever I post on the page, it simply takes me to a white screen. The URLs are akin to this: posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&t=147219&p=8935215 though I do not know if that really means anything. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened, it had something to do with the web browser.

Or am I wrong and this is an isolated issue?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:33 pm

As it happens, the mods are discussing forum performance and long threads right now. The logical solution at this point would be to lock those massive threads and start them over, this time with a page limit of some sort. None of us know for certain the technical underpinnings that might cause long threads to cause forum slowdowns, so if anyone has technical insight into the way phpBB threads are stored within the forum database, we'd welcome the information.

Edit: a quick search of phpBB forums shows that others have reported the issue, including a cache issue. Restarting long chat threads can't hurt, might help.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:As it happens, the mods are discussing forum performance and long threads right now. The logical solution at this point would be to lock those massive threads and start them over, this time with a page limit of some sort. None of us know for certain the technical underpinnings that might cause long threads to cause forum slowdowns, so if anyone has technical insight into the way phpBB threads are stored within the forum database, we'd welcome the information.

I don't knwo if this helps. But Fanfiction implements a 10,000 Post limit for a single topic and it works well. It auto locks after the 10,000th post. And the forums are never slowed unless they are updating (In which case they dont work at all)
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 pm

It is almost certainly due to load problems we're experiencing in very long threads. We probably need to break some of the larger ones into Part 1, Part 2, etc.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 pm

To be honest, I'm rather surprised that Eternal has gotten this big... DLN warned us that it would be randomly archived and replaced from time to time, and, well, that was October. This is April.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:42 pm

[violet] wrote:It is almost certainly due to load problems we're experiencing in very long threads. We probably need to break some of the larger ones into Part 1, Part 2, etc.

Well, if I remember correctly, the Wombat started experiencing these problems around 7000 pages.

Is there any reason Eternal is getting them earlier?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Return to Technical