NATION

PASSWORD

The Native Story Index [Open; All Techs]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zypra
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zypra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:55 pm

[ MT ]

[ Mature ]

Down The Drain

Constructed in his deep subconsciousness was a brilliant plan that had to be executed with tenacity, no matter what distraction may lay ahead. Even so, I couldn't help but wonder what secrets lay deep in my father, and if I could really acknowledge the bitter silence that he chose to envelop himself in, he wouldn't bother making it obvious. So I asked.

"Who's this friend you're meeting first?" I inquired with deep consideration. I wouldn't want my persistence to get in the way of father's cryptic thoughts. No response. Maybe he's brain dead after all, but in respect to his very own opinions, he had no choice but to reply. Surely, he could just ignore the young girl's questions and go on with his business, but he has been through that before.

"He's a good friend I've met a few decades ago," came the short yet narcissist reply. I stared at him for a moment, before continuing. Hopefully I wasn't pestering him, but a curious mind can kill itself over time. "Who?" Without a doubt it could've been one of his friends from college, but this wasn't the case at all. In fact, I was extremely curious as to who we were going to meet. He continued to ignore the little child I am, even though I was only a few months away from legally becoming an adult.

It's half past seven as the sun, which was out of view and shrouded by fog, slowly rose from the horizon, desperate to illuminate the land across Zypra. It was more like a "Fuck you sun", as the fog continued it's usual business in delaying most the flights. One flight that did make it through however, was the Royal Zyprian Airlines flight 522 from Dastin City.

Terminal 1 appeared as dead as the weather outside since it was practically empty. Its architecture was simply banal, to say the least. The 70s brought about development in Zypra, yet the government never bothered to update it's old architecture from those days. Nevertheless, the only living objects that did appear inside terminal were a few flight attendants, irate vacationers and a couple of janitors.

I produced a stick from the Salem pack Dad bought for me earlier today. Looking around, I noticed that no one seemed to care at all; I was only going to see if I could smoke inside this metal cage. Apparently I could. Definitely no fucks were given as I lighted up, only to gain attention from Dad, who seemed to be in a care-free mood. He took one from the pack, demanded for the lighter, and gave a few flicks before a majestic flame arose from the metal casing. I knew Dad well; he hasn't smoked in fifteen years, but looking at him sharing this father-daughter moment was intense. Dad seemed much more relaxed after he had finished that first cigarette. I clapped randomly, producing a smile on his face that was priceless.

Dad had a sleek body, which compliments his tall figure. 5' 7", last time I checked. What's more convincing was the dark brown overcoat he wore that extended down to his shin, which made him look like the Eiffel Tower. His pale face made her look quite photogenic, in which his messy unkempt hair fit the shape of his head quite well. Dad recently lost a fair portion of shares from his company, which ultimately led to the dissolution of the entire conglomerate that he had so desperately sought for financial assistance. The board's arrogance had found itself in a situation following the collapse of United Holdings, the corporation Dad set up a decade ago; he was forced to step down from office and sell his shares. Nonetheless, he never bothered to keep himself looking presentable, other than dressing himself quaintly in a fashion similar to his heyday.

Reclining backwards, I rested my head on the seat, but it was too late. I couldn't enjoy the lazy Sunday morning taking a nap without getting up once more just to shake hands with this kind gentleman Dad was going to meet.

"And who is this young lady accompanying you, Arterius?" he asked, batting his eyes in a conformist way. My stomach lurched. He must've thought I was a call-girl, one of Dad's discreet partners he shared amongst members of his company. One thing about Dad though, was that he never brought home a lady, not in mum's house, ever. I guessed it was his way of respecting her, and I also believe he had never slept with them, not once. He knew that he had a family of his own now, and screwing the order of things now was going to add further problems to his list.

"She's my daughter; Azure, meet Craig, Craig, Azure," he introduced, waving his hands around like a computer salesman showing off new hardware.

Snow. Just never-ending snow. An entire country engulfed in what had seemed the most worst storm of the century, was practically nothing but a regular winter shower for the residents here. I freezed. I freezed in the snow. I couldn't think, couldn't move, couldn't release a single word. I just freezed myself over. I mean, clearly i'm not from this part of the country, nor did I adapt myself to it. My lips, face, my entire body was shaking. I laid naked in the snow, awaiting death. Perhaps it could be the most appropriate way of committing suicide.

I opened my eyes. I could already recognise the bitter cold. A window was open in the room; I realised I was still in Rayne's room. She disappeared elsewhere. I wondered where she could've gone besides the kitchen, but it didn't matter. I could not grasp the moment; nothing in my environment seemed to make sense. Everything surrounding me, even internally, was a big lie. Even the cat sleeping soundly on the mattress adjacent to the door was a lie. The photos gave off a miserable aura that dulled my conciousness further. I couldn't help but think that this was the last day on earth, and everything that I had hoped for was lost. Everything, even the soft staccato crackle of twigs outside to the persistence of the droplets of water emanating from the tap in the bathroom.

I searched for clues as to where she had gone off to; discovering an envelope on the end table next to me, I retrieved a letter-opener from under the bed and tore it apart. It was handwritten, something that Rayne had trademarked all these years that she kept as a social perk.

Two months, and I expected you to completely forget about me. Believe me, I was that expectant. Was it predicatable? I said to myself, "Like, she'll forget me in two weeks."

It was a month after your breakup, and I came around just like that. She was with you for one year, did you ever think of that? I don't know what you two did before, and you never talked about it. Ever.

I couldn't understand completely how you completely forgot about her. How did four months of me, become two months of missing me? If I didn't come around, would you still be thinking about her?

As for my honest opinion of what we had, It felt one-sided at times. How many times did we fight with each other, how many times have we apologized, and lived through regret and loss each time?

We both know the answer.

It's the week after I got through with us. I got laced in sick, and I told myself: "I'm not going through this again."

And I never will.

Whether the right guy or girl will lead you somewhere, or on your own, I'm never the right person for you. You need someone who loves and likes you. I'm not that person for you. I will never have a serious relationship in my life, so you should be happy that you still want one.

Days, weeks, months, years, it will probably be decades before I'll ever love someone again.

Whenever the tears seemed to abate, it would start afresh. The flow was constant, like a broken pipe in the suburbs, but I couldn't feel it. I couldn't feel the sadness that delved within. Was it an natural response that my body took upon receiving letters like these? Maybe it was. I seemed to cry almost often when receiving letters, be it saddening or enthusiastic. Whenever a family member sent me a card for Christmas, everyone knew that I would be in the loo, trying to cease the sobbing, but I couldn't. It would never end, at least until I fell asleep.

The city came alive, its jazz clubs and enumerable cafés dotted the streets, the dizzying lamps and cold pavement that gave a unique flavour to the city itself. Snowfall doubled, tripled overnight as the sun began to slowly illuminate the vast land. Father was still asleep, and the penthouse became a silent retreat. I booted my laptop, recovering a few of my files that sat neatly in stack on the shelf, before producing a pen needed to complete my history assignment. And so I began.

Explain the actions of the ALA and how they contributed to the Alsagan war in no less than one hundred words.

I slowly traced my hand across the motionpad, clicking on a few links before reaching a page that was a goldmine of information about the War in Alsager. Just what I needed. But wait, what's this? A 404 error? Fuck this question then.

The inflow of substantial revenue from both the tertiary sector and the industrial sector itself prompted deregulation, particularly in the financial sector, in order to prepare the country for globalisation. What were the new changes in government policies from 2011 onwards?

Fuck this shit.

Who was the first Zyprian Prime Minister and what was his immediate role after the civil war?

Oh, that one would be easy. Liam Hadsell. He's definitely the only politician that's still hot after all these years. And he did... wait, what did he do?

The Durden Treaty concluded the civil war, an agreement which heavily favoured Garimidia. State two possible outcomes should the Garimidian foreign policy alter the terms of the treaty and who it could've influen-

I gave my folder a nice shove to the floor as I angrily tossed my pen across the room. Perhaps it would be a good time to rest after such a tiresome all-nighter.. but I could use a small session on the laptop and the last cigarette for the day. And so I did.

Checking my inbox, I found a number of emails that were unread over the week. Surprisingly, only a few were entertaining enough for my consumption. One from Allyssa, and a few from Jonathan Hart, my history teacher. Fuck, I was going to fail History class this semester, but who am I kidding? Azure, the History major that would probably end up working a low wage job at the local supermarket.. in her forties with five children and a stay-at-home husband.. while living lavishly in her Dad's apartment as he works around the clock setting up his one thousandth company that would probably fail in the future. But no, I wouldn't want to go that way, or at least I could prevent the stay-at-home part. Maybe I could make it as a call-girl.

Hi, it's me, Allyssa, I'm just dropping in to say hello and everything. I want to ask about something though.

Did you fuck my boyfriend last night? Because I can totally forgive you if you didn't, I mean, that was a wild party last night and he's just too nice and everything, and I'm not jealous : )

Good girl Allyssa? That's new. Unless this is one of her tactics on trying to catch whoever her boyfriend cheated on. Best to defuse the situation with the truth then.

Lol no, sorry, it wasn't me Ally. I'm like, totally gay, unless you haven't noticed why I never hand with guys often. And for my alibi, you can ask my dad. I was doing my history assignment all night, so yeah. I miss you! xoxo

It wasn't long before I received another message from her that really began annoying the shit out of me.

Uhm yeah, okay, that's fine, thank you : ) And you stayed up all night at home? omg forever alone

Indeed I was. I shut my laptop down, forgetting that conversation ever happened, before emerging out of bed. This was probably the best time to retry the assignment once more. All I needed to do was answer one final question before I could get some shut-eye. I hope I could do this one right, and so I randomly chose.

What parties were assigned to the Joint Task Force and where did they serve?

This one would be easy. I read about it on one of the portfolios Dad kept in his office of one of those secretaries he kept under his wing. God, she was a hottie. I started to read aloud as I carefully wrote it down word by word.

"The Zyprian military served in the Alsagan War as part of the Joint Task Force alongside the Garimidian Armed Forces from 1994-1995. Carrying out neutral peacekeeping operations, Zyprian air units were known to be patrolling the skies over Vasaari on weekends alongside-

Wait, what the fuck did I just write?

"Carrying out neutral peacekeeping operations, Zypra withdrew from the war as the JRF was disbanded a year after deployment."

I guess that should be simple enough. Now, time to get out of bed.

Smoke begets more smoke. The sun rose majestically over the horizon, slowly but painfully melting away the sheet of ice that built-up on the balcony floor, forming miniature pools of water. It was the first time in years, and yet I instantly recognized the landscape before. I haven't seen Port Vale at this time of day before, mostly during the night where it was more seductive and charming. Perhaps the sunrise was indeed romantic after all. I could not help but imagine if Rayne slept over for the night and helped me with my assignment. It would be a beautiful sight to take in with her, but it has been long since we've seen each other.

Rayne had always been there for me. I remembered a particular day where we decided to visit the park. Albury was much more intoxicating at that time of the year, especially with her, who seemed to be much more happier than before. We both felt the same: deep in love, lost in the scent of daisies and roses; it was like an opiate wonderland. Pain was a stranger to us, physically and emotionally, and not a fuck in the world would change that. No one could. Until it got boring. Until the fights began to build, until the pain became the substitute, until she finally gave up.

Horrors akin to those inside me greeted her, though she became gradually more violent. She saw me as a scapegoat to all her problems, and yet it seemed to fit naturally in her opinion. She blamed me for everything. I threw my first butt of the day off the balcony, and lighted a fresh one. A few more wouldn't hurt.

It got worse after her vacation in Westling. I couldn't believe my eyes when I heard she was sneaking out of her dorm room for poker night, and it grew intense after I found her trying to leave bed. She was quickly expelled from college the following day, and opted to stay at home until she could find a new college; the opportunity never came to her, the opportunity to continue her studies. But she was fine with that.

The sliding door behind me have a slight 'woosh' sound; I turned to find my dad approaching me from behind, carrying a pack of Absolute cigarettes. He lighted the first one by mistake - instead of lighting the usual end, he mistakenly lit the filter, prompting him to fetch another stick from his pack. His face turned sour as he had wasted a perfectly well-cut cigarette. He reclined in his seat, letting out a quick stream of translucent smoke.

"Awake?" I asked, pulling a chair for myself. I tugged the ashtray closer to my body, depositing the ashes safely into the bowl.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I was busy thinking about today's interview.. Is there a way to make me sleep?" he asked, his eyes meeting mine. His eyes reflected my image; a young woman in her early-twenties with a dying passion for history and a disgruntled hobby of bashing the drums, which lasted for a year before dropping out of music for a little while. I wondered what music kids today are listening to. My half-dead brain finally reacted to his question, almost absorbing itself into the omnipresent scene before me.

"It could be that drink you had last night," I suggested. He thought about it for a moment, before shaking his head. "Yesterday's movie?" I continued, hoping to achieve a positive response, but he again shook his head. "Pre-interview jitters, dad." I concluded, which finally received an appropriate response. He was too nervous for this interview with the board of directors of this conglomerate he was going to start working for. He needed this day to be perfect, starting from the morning.

And it was the only time me and dad ever spoke this way again. Most of the time, we were engrossed in conversations about life and the knots on the rope along the way, the milestones we've achieved. Dad never seemed to be a fatherly figure to me; he was more like a friend who looked out. After the conversation we had that day, I continued my prospecting into Dastin State University, ending up in the Historical Department on a work pass from the Zyprian government. A few years later, I had my first apartment, my first promotion, and my first tax filing. Dad refused to give up on me, so he continued to fund my efforts on continuing to study and work in journalism, a passion I had withheld for so many years, I didn't polish the talent for.

Ultimately of course, life went upwards from there. I met Rachel, and after five years, married her discreetly in Port Vale and spent out honeymoon in Alsager, one of the places where I did a case study on for my history assignment. After that, we spent a year looking for a beautiful home in Southern Garimidia, and she ended up working in a company that belonged to the same conglomerate that Dad worked for.

The storm has passed, and the darkness has faded, but I'll always remember that whenever the next storm passes by again, that I'll always hope for the next lull to be more prosperous and uplifting.
Last edited by Zypra on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

[MT]

[ Mature ]

Red River, Port John, Minnysota
Trans-River Ferry #4
27 February 2012
Archie Donkins

It was a cold, damp morning in the city of Port John. The coastal breezes were beginning to take their toll on the gargantuan city. The waves of the Red River were beginning to increase in stature and power as they crashed against the hulls of the Trans-River Ferries. Despite the cruel weather, it was a peaceful day. Normally, the crime-infested outskirts reported at least three murders by noon as the crime and drug rings tore at each others throats; today, it was all silent. Not a gunshot was heard. The Port John Police Department (PJPD) thought it odd but pleasing to be able to sit back and not have to break up another gang war, but they knew not that something much more massive was on its way.

A fat, plump man Archie Donkins had for as long as he knew been a member of the Cartelli family's operations, which included smuggling, assassinations, robberies, and cocaine dealing. He had been planted in as a ferry driver just three weeks prior through the Cartelli's connections to Nationalist officials that controlled who drove what vehicle that belonged to the city. Despite his total lack of experience in driving a boat, he was forced into "borrowing" the ferry for the day.

Blowing the horn of the ferry as it left the dock, Archie looked back from his observation deck to see a deck packed with eager tourists. Some were taking pictures, some were kissing, and some were walking around with their children on their shoulders so that they could see over the massive crowd; all of them were eager to arrive on John Joseph Memorial Island, one of the most significant tourist attractions in Minnysota. However, they were not destined for the island that was just under a two mile stretch ahead of them. Instead, as Archie's superiors told him, he would drive the boat directly under the Claxtan Drawbridge at exactly 10:30 AM. Just as he promised, Archie was about to be on time.

Crawling under the shadow of the bridge, the ferry found itself nearing a stop. Archie, having finished what he was instructed to do, stood confused. He ignored the roar of the crowd below as they tossed insults at him for being a fat idiot, and just sat there with his cell phone in his hand. Flipping the phone open, he began to dial the number he was instructed to dial if he had any questions. Checking time after time before dialing to make sure it was correct, the plump man was dismayed when the ringer went to voice mail. Just seconds later, the interior of the boat ignited. As the explosion continued to grow, the screams of the tourists seemingly overpowered every sound in the city. The smell of burning flesh created a pungent odor that plagued the city like a fog. After climaxing itself, the explosion devoured the bridge that rested above the ferry.

Having survived the initial explosion and being thrown into the water, Archie opened his eyes to see the debris of the Claxtan Bridge descending upon him.

---

John Joseph Memorial Island, Port John, Minnysota
27 February 2012
Marco Cartelli

"Look, Franky! The fat slug did as he was told. Alert the others to begin Phase Two." Marco hissed the command under his breath to his stocky brother.

"Heh, no problem."

Marcus "Marco" Cartelli was a devious man. The mastermind behind several plots that killed several National Republican city officials, he had also organized this plot to strike John Joseph Island. With the bridge in ruins and the attention of the local officials and the tourists on the islands focused on the sinking ship, Marco determined it was time to begin Phase Two, the massacre itself. He began to walk down in a calm pace from the viewing balcony at the northern end of the island, which was rarely visited. There, a massive cache of machine guns, rockets, grenades, and assault rifles had been stored. As he paced down the last flight of stairs until he reached ground level, Marco popped the first magazine into his AR5R2 rifle and readied to fire.

Soon, Marco was flanked by his brother, Franky, and his friend Dimitri Polonshky. Both of them were sporting MG70 machine guns to compliment Marco's assault rifle. Following the explosion that literally shook the island, a flock of tourists had gone to the outskirts of the island to look at the sinking ship and the collapsing bridge from afar.

"Open fire in 3. 2. 1. Now!" Marco shouted to the entire Cartelli force on the island over his radio.

The muzzles of their weapons flashed in the still dark atmosphere. Falling victim to their weapons, the crowd ahead of them fell one by one. Before anyone even realized what was happening, a pool of blood began to spill over the edge of the island. As people began to realize what was happening, the remnants of the crowd dispersed. To their dismay, several of the men who dressed as policemen on the island pulled out their own automatic weapons and gunned down the runners.

In the distance, people were beginning to run from the gunshots. Many people ran into the entrance of the Statue of John Joseph as police began to barricade the doors. After just minutes following the initial shots, hundreds of people lay dead on the pavement or in the grassy fields. Children who had been playing kickball with their siblings were dead, their innocent bodies now ravaged by gunshots. Marco did not care about the hundreds of people he and his men had killed today. In fact, he was humored when his superiors told him he was to lead the mission. He showed no mercy or reverence for the dead as he paced slowly into the daunting shadow of the Freedom Statue, often spitting on the bodies or intentionally stepping on them. A normal man could not bear such a massacre, but Marco just walked forward with a content expression growing on his face as he approached the structure ahead of him.

Last edited by Minnysota on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Abruzi
Minister

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Abruzi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm

PMT

"YA na grani proryva , i vy osmelilisʹ vstatʹ na moem puti ?"
“I’m on the edge of a breakthrough and you dare to stand in my way?!”

The Lab Suit clad man whirled around and stared his opponent in the face. The uniformed man merely smirked and in a condescending tone replied,

"Vasha rabota v opasnoĭ blizosti ot idyeologicheskikh nyeortodoksalʹnostʹ , bolyee konservativnye by nazvatʹ eto Otherthink v vysshyeĭ stepeni. "
“Your work is dangerously close to Ideological Unorthodoxy, the more conservative would label it Otherthink in the extreme.”

That was it, the great ashen gray wall that suffocated all progress. Ideology, the Novaya Bolshevist Ideology in particular, did not allow for unplanned progress. The Party dominated all aspects of life and while it allowed it’s scientists a bit of leeway in the hope that they would invent some new process to better control the masses of people, there was still regulation. To the man in the lab coat it was maddening and he desperately wanted to strike the man before him, but he knew that to do so would result in almost immediate liquidation. Instead he clenched his hands and said,

"Moya rabota budet rekonstruirovatʹNovuyu bolʹshevist·skogo Soyuza, i, vozmozhno, pozvolit nam neposredstvenno nablyudatʹ sfere chelovecheskoĭ mysli, kak partiya ne podderzhivaet , chto ?"
“My work will revolutionize the Novaya Bolshevist Union, and potentially allow us to directly witness the sphere of human thought, how can the Party not support that?!”

Casually the uniformed man adjusted his peaked cap, shifting it just far enough to the left to be slightly off center yet not enough to be obvious at first glance. He was a fat man, at least fat by Novaya Bolshevist standards. He possessed no double chin, but his uniform fit snugly which was almost impossible if one was not in the Military. Rations were tight, and even Upper Party Members like the lab coated man only received just enough to be fully productive yet not enough to ever feel comfortable. The lab coated man hated this fat man, this member of the Commissariat of Contentment, this wretched Party Member.

After a moments pause and a haughty cough, the Commissariat of Contentment Officer replied,

"Komissariat Udovletvorennostʹ ne sprashivaĭte, pochemu ona dyeĭstvuet tolʹko . Tovarishch Otet sam skazal , chto partiya dolzhna postavitʹ Vanguard dyeĭstvie prevyshe vsego. Vy ne meshalo by pomnitʹ ob etom. "
“The Commissariat of Contentment does not ask why, it only acts. Comrade Otet himself said that the Vanguard Party must place action above all. You would do well to remember that.”

The lab coated individual did not reply, instead he stood and stared at the Officer making no secret as to how much he detested the man. With a mere glance the Officer made it clear that feelings were mutual and in that instant the lab coated man knew the Officer’s entire life’s history. He was one of those children who was never particularly bright, probably born after the December Revolution which meant that at an early age he was forced onto the martial track. Proving to be a naturally cunning predator, he had been outperformed by the truly intelligent individuals and had grown resentful. Now he was being vindicated, smashing the dream of one of those intellectuals that the Party tolerated only because they were useful.

Smiling as if he knew that there was a sort of understanding between them, the Officer opened the door and stepped out onto the frozen street. The busy sounds of midday Utopia filled the previously silent office and for a moment the Officer merely stood there. Finally he slowly closed the door and said,

" Dobryĭ denʹ tovarishch doktor Vladimir Lillyonovitch Chayefsky.”
“Good day Comrade Doctor Vladimir Lillyonovitch Chayefsky.”

Vladimir muttered through clenched teeth,

"Khoroshiĭ tovarishch denʹ.”
“Good day Comrade.”

The door slammed and the whole frame shook, demonstrating the relatively ramshackle state of the Doctor’s office. He was hardly one of the favored sons of the Utopian People’s University, hardly one of the pampered few who worked in the Military Wing. They had state of the art, he had relics from the days of Otet. Muttering minor treasons he whirled and walked into the bowels of the building. His office was really a converted janitorial chamber, one that had access to only another chamber that was filled with three isolation tanks. These tanks were old models, fitting as his ideas were also old. They had been regarded as insane and at present he was the only scientist working on them. His concept was the Noosphere concept and while it had partially been proven to exist (or at least as proven as something can be in the Novaya Bolshevist Union) it was hardly defined. Vladimir sought to change that.

While he was hardly funded by the Party, he had been able to run several tests and while his test so far had only explored the consciousness of three subjects Vladimir knew that he was only inches away from a major breakthrough. To be so close and yet denied funding for any additional experiments was infuriating in the extreme, and while he was careful not to mutter anything when standing close to the Glaz that was constantly spouting propaganda and recording everything that was being said, he seethed with rage. Laboring for so long in silence, making due with hand-me-down equipment, and being looked over for advancement has all been sacrifices Vladimir had been willing to make until he was met with the latest refusal. Now at his wits end he had only one option, continue on alone and hope that he was not liquidated before reaching his breakthrough.

Cool, dark, mysterious, the water was all of these things as Vladimir slowly immersed his naked body. Dark and ominous, the metal sides of the isolation tanks arose on all sides with only a small rectangle of light filtering in through the door. Playing across the rippling surface, the Dr. was almost sure he could detect a faint pattern in the waves. The thought was ridiculous and even he recognized that it was probably just nerves acting against what he was about to do. Sighing heavily and steeling himself Dr. Chayefsky laid flat in the tank and attached the rebreather to his mouth. A clear tube would pipe in air and allow his isolation to be complete.

Nothing happened at first, he could feel only damp cold and see only darkness. Slowly his limbs went numb, his vision grew faint and he felt...something. It was like grabbing a handful of smoke, you were never sure you really had anything. Images, shapes, maybe people, maybe nightmarish creatures, it was impossible to know what he saw-thought-felt in that instant. Vladimir wasn't sure it had been an instant at all, it could have been hours, days even! There was no way to tell and he knew that even if there was, it wouldn't make sense.

The only conceivable way to even begin to make sense of what Dr. Chayefsky labeled, “The Magical Minute” was to repeat the experiment. He needed to repeat it and more importantly enlarge it to include other subjects. With this in mind he forced himself out of the tank and began to towel off, possibilities racing through his mind. Above all else he knew that the Party would not support his work, that is to say, the Party would not support him seeking to answer questions purely for knowledge's sake. It needed a military or political application, and it needed one before he submitted a form for any equipment or personnel. Once he was dry and dressed, the Dr. sat heavily at his rickety desk for a moment and read the statistics an archaic machine had spurted out onto said desk.

Using a system he had devised, Vladimir was able to tell the intensity of a person's thoughts based upon the different wattage their brain's thought centers produced. It was not an exact science and while he was bumbling about to just assign an average he could tell that the figures from when he was in the tank were well off the charts. Standard readings were in the 75-110 kilowatt range, his thoughts had been at an astounding 250! The implications were legion, he had very nearly fried his mind just by lying in an isolation tank and allowing his mind to wander. True he had taken several experimental psycho-boosting drugs, but they could hardly account for such a massive increase. Running a hand along his face, the Dr. noticed that he had not shaved for days, something he would have to rectify before meeting with the Party's Block Soviet.

Pausing for just a moment, Vladimir reached down and hastily scratched,

"Должны найти этот проект соответствующей патриотической имя.”
“Must find this project a suitably patriotic name.”

Smoke and laughter drifted about the chamber. Broken desks lined one wall while an imposing oak table lined the other. Around one the one accessible side five men sat, Dr. Chayefsky stood. Nervously he rubbed his hands together while the men who would decide his fate sat quietly a mused. All were well respected Professors and Scientists as well as Novaya Bolshevist Party Members and all were highly skeptical of Vladimir's work. Ignorent of the gravity of the conversation the room's Glaz blared out Production Statistics and reminded all Comrades that, “Individual Health is Community Health!” lending the discussion just enough of an air of ridiculousness.

Brushing his face, the lead man a Comrade-Professor Ivan Azimovitch Tikal slowly asked,

" Chto eto , chto vy nazyvaete etot proekt? "
“What is it that you call this project?”

Nodding to the Glaz, Vladimir slowly stammered,

" V-v- vse my znaem, g- nestabilʹnosti v Turgovian federalʹnogo okruga. Otherthink , kontrrevolyutsiya , veshchi takogo roda, oni chuma nashego Soyuza. Potomu chto etot proekt budet okazyvatʹ uchastnikam lishennym melkikh emotsiĭ, i oni stanut idyealʹnym bolʹshevist·skoĭ Novoĭ siloĭ iskatʹ Otherthinkers po svoyeĭ mysli, ya vzyal dlya vyzova dannogo proekta sozdaniyabeschelovechno Mekhanicheskie razvedki po vosstanovleniyu Idyealʹno Novaya bolʹshevist·skaya."
“W-w-we all know of the i-instability in the Turgovian Federal District. Otherthink, Counterrevolution, things of this nature, they plague our Union. Because this project would render participants devoid of petty emotion, and they would become the perfect Novaya Bolshevist with the power to seek out Otherthinkers by their very thoughts; I've taken to calling this project the Creation of the Dehumanized Mechanical Intelligence for the Restoration of the Novaya Bolshevist Ideal.”

Professor Tikal leaned back in his chair and questioningly said,

“DMITRI?”

Dr. Chayefsky nodded and quickly replied,

" V chestʹ narkoma Udovletvorennostʹ."
“In honor of the Commissar of Contentment.

He looked first to the men on the left who nodded, then to the men on the right who nodded before finally saying,

«Utverzhdayu.”
“Approved.”
02:01 RomanEmpire Because I dont know about you
02:01 RomanEmpire But I want to monger some fucking fish

Forward for the #Sanc!
Nationstates 40,000, In the grim darkness of the far future there is only retcon -Oz
SSO's map of Abruzi: http://i41.tinypic.com/33ope9i.png
SSO For Mod

Katganistan wrote:Sanctuary space
Channel on the Esper Net
Fun times are had there

Kybrutirat

The utterly insane dictator
Secretary

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

SOUTHERN PROTESTS

Postby The utterly insane dictator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 pm

[ MT ]

THIS JUST IN FROM THE WONDERFUL UTOPIAN DICTATORSHIP OF GREATNESS AND PROSPERITY!

16th March 2012

In a shocking turn of events, yesterday workers riots sprung up across many mining communities in the southern regions of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity.

Reports claim workers were complaining that "twenty-five minutes of sleep just isn't enough" and that recent plans to save money on workers bread through cannibalism had made some families terrified to even venture out of their shacks in the morning rather upset.

Taz Menson, an experienced miner in the village of Axato became a sort of figurehead for the fledgling protests, and we have been so lucky as to have been able to ask him him briefly about what he thinks the problem is:

"There is no water, anywhere. My entire family has been living off the semen of our cow for two months now. My brother, Jamal, he has been sleeping in the skip of a run-down truck for six years now. He has been waiting for six years so that he can flake off enough dead skin to finally build a house.

We are starving. If anyone tries to leave the mining villages to forage for food in the forests, they get picked off by snipers, and then even more people die when half the village rushes out to drag away the bodies for food."

"I wish so badly that I could work some more! We all do! I begged my shift manager to let me work for another two hours before my twenty-five minutes of sleep but he just wouldn't listen!"

Our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has been so merciful and benevolent to grant his passionate request.

In response to the unrest, our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has also sent a governmental task force to help encourage more diligence and productivity!

May you all be loyal, diligent and productive!
This publication authorised by His most supreme super amazing wonderful fantastic beloved ingenious Lordship, Ultimate Noobslayer General Jahvad Al-Nazim, Ruler of the lands of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity, Brilliant All-powerful Conquerer of The Western Plains of Tloofidia, Epic Pillager of the nation Rombidia, Destroyer of the Territories of Slurbia, Exterminator of the peoples of Bohdia, Annihilator of the armies of Ulrik, and Winner of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity National Pinball contest for five years running.
Last edited by The utterly insane dictator on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Secretary

Ex-Nation

The review

Postby The utterly insane dictator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:56 pm

[MT ]

THIS JUST IN FROM THE WONDERFUL UTOPIAN DICTATORSHIP OF GREATNESS AND PROSPERITY!

17th March 2012

Today the annual military budget review was done, and our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has decided on the spending allocation to the military for this year.

We are honoured to have permission from our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader himself to publish the very words he spoke at the annual military budget review:

Transcript of the Annual Military Budget Review:

Adjudant-General Azmhek Al Bubba: "You stated your desire to increase military spending this year in response to growing civil unrest, by how much exactly should it be increased by?"

O.D.D.M.W.B.M.Leader: "TEN MILLION PERCENT!!! DO IT!!! I WANT A NEW FLEET OF WARSHIPS, AND A...AND A SQUADRON OF TANKS TO BLOW UP THOSE WHINING SOUTHERN PEASANTS!!! AND...AND...AN ARMY OF TEN THOUSAND ELITE NINJA NOOBSLAYER SECRET POLICE ASSASINS!!!"

Adjudant-General Azmhek Al Bubba: "And...er...might, I, humbly suggest your lordship, that you allocate some money to say.........education? Illiteracy rates are at 78.9%"

O.D.D.M.W.B.M.Leader: "ARE YOU JOKING???!!! DOES THIS COUNTRY LOOK LIKE A SCHOOL TO YOU!!!??? DOES IT!!!???"

Adjudant-General Azmhek Al Bubba: "Err....not at all my lordship...but...perhaps healthcare, seven million people in your nation die each year from Malaria..."

O.D.D.M.W.B.M.Leader: "THERE WILL BE NO MORE SICK PEOPLE IF WE BOMB ALL THE SICK PEOPLE. THERE! MALARIA SOLVED! SOMEONE TELL THE MILITARY TO GO DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!"

Adjudant-General Azmhek Al Bubba: "Perhaps infrastructure...our roads and railways are in a terrible state..."

O.D.D.M.W.B.M.Leader: "THERE WILL BE NO MORE BAD ROADS AND RAILWAYS IF WE BOMB ALL ROADS AND RAILWAYS!!! THERE! POOR INFRASTRUCTURE SOLVED! TELL THE MILITARY TO GO DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!"

Adjudant-General Azmhek Al Bubba: "Oh shi-"

This publication authorised by His most supreme super amazing wonderful fantastic beloved ingenious Lordship, Ultimate Noobslayer General Jahvad Al-Nazim, Ruler of the lands of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity, Brilliant All-powerful Conquerer of The Western Plains of Tloofidia, Epic Pillager of the nation Rombidia, Destroyer of the Territories of Slurbia, Exterminator of the peoples of Bohdia, Annihilator of the armies of Ulrik, and Winner of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity National Pinball contest for five years running.
Last edited by The utterly insane dictator on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Abolition of Sleep

Postby The utterly insane dictator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:57 pm

[ MT]

18th March 2012

Rejoice Citizens of The Wonderful Utopian Dictatorship Of Greatness And Prosperity!

Taz Menson, the miner from the southern village of Ataxo, and figurehead of the recent southern workers protests, has publicly stated that: "I am outraged by what the government has done! They have twisted my words and used this an excuse to force anyone involved in the protests into slave labour! My brother Jamal had finally after six years flaked off enough dead skin to build a house. He was getting ready to move in with his family. But then the government beat him up in broad daylight and burnt all his dead skin. He will have to live in the skip in the back of that run-down truck for another six years! He and his wife and kids share that skip with twenty-seven other families. And thats not the worst of it! Now, they have no food. All that dead skin was Jamal's life! He had a huge pile, and all the flies in the village would lay their eggs in it, and Jamal and his family, and all the other families living in the skip would eat the maggots that grew in the pile. It wasn't much for all of them to live off, and most days somebody died of infection or blood poisoning, but they got by. Now I don't know what they will do."

"Our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has been so merciful and benevolent to grant my impassioned request and allow us all to work for another two hours before our twenty-five minutes of sleep, even at risk to our own health and for that I am eternally grateful! However, I can still not even get any sleep during my twenty-five minutes of sleep, because I cant stop thinking of all the hard work and mining we could be doing to make our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader people wealthier, but we aren't doing because we have to sleep. My only wish now, is that the the government could abolish sleep in the southern mining towns, so that we can keep on working round the clock forever to serve our glorious dictatorship!"

In his supreme and unquestionable wisdom, our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has been so humble and compassionate, as to grant the worker's impassioned request, and abolish sleep in the southern mining towns.

Anyone caught committing the crime of sleep will be made to pay a fine of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 Utopian dollars, (roughly 5 NS dollars), and will forfeit the right to not get the shit beaten out of them remain free from bodily harm.

Please note this is only a figure of speech, and rumours that an installation of human 'rights' are on the way are entirely unfounded, and have no basis in truth. The inscrutable wisdom of our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader is better than any foreign law!

In order to help the people even more, the government has taken Taz Menson to
the Bismay City Penal Labour camp a very special place, in order to hear more of his bold proposals for society.

Taz Menson being taken to a very special place

To assist the southern mining communities with not sleeping, our Dearest, Dearest, Most Wonderful, Brilliant, Merciful Leader has sent another task force, to enforce the new law through whatever means neccesary give the miners a little more motivation to give up sleeping.

Your friendly neighbourhood task force are here to kill you if you dont help you comply with new regulations

May you all be loyal, healthy, hard-working, alive, and awake!
Last edited by The utterly insane dictator on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Please follow the format, Utterly Insane Dictator, or I cannot put you on the index.

Vlack Sturm
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vlack Sturm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 am

[ MT ]

[ Mature ]

Prisoner-437,
Cremation Island Prison

Cremation Island, a volcanic island, was the site of the evil the Sturmian Government. It had been the site of the last bastion of the Sturmian Union and now it was a Triple-Max slam with no daylight for the prisoners. The prison was all underground and who in their right mind would want to go to the surface of the Island... it was mostly active volcanoes erupting every five hours (not very big eruptions mind you, but big enough to fry anyone on the surface).

The Sturmian Prison, meant for top-minded convicts, the ones whom Hell itself would spit right back out, was built mostly underground and could stand the strongest earthquakes on the island and capable of withstanding the strongest eruptions on the island. It was located on the inactive part of the island, in an ocean miles from anywhere. It was not a pleasant place on the surface and inside the prison wasn't much better either. The prison's inhabitants were split into six groups: Guards, Scientists, Whores, Convicts, Inmates, and Kordas'; each having a separate purpose in the prison.

If you were an Inmate, you were basically at the bottom of the Prison's "society," but still above the Whores. They did the dirty work of the Guards and were the "thorn in the side of his fellow men," bringing "shame to the game" as it were. Convicts were the more "respectable" of the prisoners and had a sense of honor in the abyss of the prison. Each of us were under a Foreman (a big brother figure to us all), who reports to the Boss (the Father of Prisoners) who is like the President of the Abyss.

The Whores were the bottom of the Prison's Society, more like slaves and were always young women to 13 year old's. They were fucked by Guard and Prisoner alike, for 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week, 365 Days a Year. They were treated like garbage, given medicine to get rid of STDs and abortion pills so they could be again stimulated by penises. Whores didn't have a nice life in the Prison. Only one girl (17 in fact) was the only one not to be a Whore, but she was locked up every five hours for her animal-like behavior.

The other three branches of "society" had better lives than the Prisoners. The Guards, the Kordas', and the Scientists were all evil humans and animals to us prisoners. The Guards were gray uniformed and were former soldiers of the Union. They were led by Warden Alexander Kalugin, a vicious and ruthless soldier who didn't do this job for money but for the satisfaction of killing prisoners. The Scientists, a bunch of sadistic science majors, did experiments on the prisoners and studied how long we could survive in the toughest prison in the Union. The Kordas' were a predatorial animal found only in the caves on the Sturmian Fatherland and they were released into the Prisoner's Sector for the Guards entertainment.
Last edited by Vlack Sturm on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Federation of Burzia
Pardes

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The utterly insane dictator » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Jenrak wrote:Please follow the format, Utterly Insane Dictator, or I cannot put you on the index.

By that do you mean put in the red tags in the beginning/

or do you mean get rid of them because they aren't stories?

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 pm

[ FT ]

Boots on the Ground

Eight hundred yards long, two hundred wide, fitting some five thousand troops in cramped quarters leaving the armories as the only haven away from boredom. Men were left to scrub their weapons and clean their armor, made from the foundries on the Tiris Isles where the Uli invasion forces had neglected to bombard or capture.

But there was that one man, sitting on a bench, hunched over, reading a communique from home: he had a daughter. A baby girl that he could call his own flesh and blood. He was happy that they had chosen his wife to stay planetside and make bullets for her husband to fire against the bastards that had killed their parents and destroyed their childhood home. It was flattened during the tenacious fighting on the Origoth plains, along with the bodies of their friends and family. All because of the Uli.

"Watchya reading?" One of his squadmates came over, reading past his shoulder. Eyebrows raised, and a smile on his face, the man cried out to his comrades in the armory, "It looks like our friend here is a father!"

Whoops and yells rang out across the armory, men the new father never even seen before had come and congratulated him, patting him on the shoulder, and giving him a few sticks of nicotine gum.

Why, why are they do happy for me, people I don't even know, the man thought. Happier than they should be, they were practically jumping out of their uniforms.

Then a train holding all of his worries, stresses, and life for the past two years shrugged off a bit of it's cargo. He didn't feel it before, but the euphoria was setting in, and the realization.

It had been the story for thousands of years, with any civilization, any war. They were the boots on the ground, the ones fighting off the enemy so that their children and loved ones didn't have to. They were the ones going toe to toe with the Uli, the ones invading the enemy's bastion, where they could stop the menace before it could touch Ben Prime again. Every man wanted to hear that their children would live on their sacrifices, and that of their friends', and of their dead comrades.
Last edited by The Ben Boys on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

[PMT]

[Mature]

[ The Vanum War-Part 1, Nuclear Terrorism ]

Lost Angels

Yuri sat in the cold. It was a cold day in the Lost Angels, Cradellia. The freezing rain pattering down like ice, he was part of the terrorist group Anwyn previously an unknown in the world, this multi-national group was about to put itself on the map. They were going to detonate a thermonuclear device in the City of Lost Angels. Anwyn was paid by an unknown organization, most likely from The People's Republic of China to perform this act for reasons entirely unknown. Now Yuri was about to meet the rest of his organization's members, they would be the ones to perform the act of violence. Yuri thought for a moment what exactly he was about to do, in stark detail. They were about to detonate a nuclear device in a city without any military significance, killing themselves, and millions of innocent people in the process. They, well, their organization was going to broadcast a message saying they have more, and going on about a bullshit cause, and demanding money lest they do it again. Of course, Yuri knew that further nuclear attacks were impossible, for this nuclear device wasn't event built by Anwyn, it was provided by their employer.

A van rolled up, a diaper company resplendent on its flanks. It's windows looking inconspicuous. The passenger's side door opened, inside two other men, both dressed in the uniform of this diaper company. The passenger spoke.
"I'm looking for a Mister Jones, I have a delivery to make".
"I am Mister Jones." replied Yuri. The passenger motioned him to get into the back before slamming the door shut. Yuri got into the back of the vehicle seeing two other men. Both of whom were sitting around a metal case with a single red star on it. Yuri instantly recognized that it was a Chinese Star. The road was silent for a long time, except for the curses of the driver through the traffic. Finally it eased up and one of the men asked,
"So, why did the pick you"?
"Because I always got the job done, too bad it's my last one". Years of killing had caused Yuri's sensitivity to the killing was gone. Of course the other man was nearly puking at the thought of death and dying. The car picked up speed, the driver announced to the rest,
"We've got about a mile to go". The city seemed to be fleeing from impending death, of course this was false, the city was unexpectant of what was about to happen.
"Here are the Kalashnikovs. We need to make sure nobody comes close to the bomb". The first man started rocking.
"Sadly, we couldn't set a timer on this as it is a nuke from a missile, so while number 4 is exposing the bomb to water, we've got to gun down anyone who comes close". Yuri nodded, the ghastly look on the face of the young man became more obvious. The van crashed through something with a loud noise. The head of the driver slammed into the windshield, covering it with blood and pieces of brain. Yuri and the others slammed into the front seats, quickly recovering. The young man started with a hammer to pound the protective casing, Yuri, the other man, and the passenger jumped out with their Kalashnikovs ready, the crowd of concerned people around the crashed van screamed in terror and began to run, Yuri fired away with his AK-47 a little girl, who happened to be only a few feet away was blasted apart by the massive shells ripping through her head and neck, the decapitated corpse collapsing to the ground, the other bullets cut two people in half. The other guns chattered. Finally a challenge showed up in the shape of two armed security guards, who had their pistols ready, Yuri emptied his clip into the first one the shells tearing into the guard's arms and face blowing holes in it, but they failed to penetrate the armor, meaning a messy torso fell to the ground. The second fired his pistol the round caught Yuri in the shoulder. A loud Dinging sound as the hammer punctured the shell, a bright flash, then nothing.

The Abandoned Base at Westover

The Leader of Anwyn America sat in his chair. They had appropriated an old Air Force Base, and now it was time to announce it to the world. Sure they would pretend it was all a secret, but the government would without a doubt track them down. It only be a matter of time, but their goal was to make this government look bad, they had been too liberal according to their employers, who had been coordinating with the Red Faction of the CRP. Their employers were trying to provoke a war, which they thought they would win. The leader signaled for the hackers to take control of the airwaves around Veluna. The President, and all of the Ministers had to see this, the cameras began rolling. The leader of Anwyn America spoke.

"Hello people of Veluna. I'm sure you've had news of the recent attack on the City of Lost Angels, and the destruction of millions of lives. This is a message from the leadership of Anwyn International. Firstly I'd like to announce that it is the Organization known as Anwyn. We are absolutely disgusted with your foolish commie beliefs. This stands firmly against our own. We have therefore decided to launch a series of attacks on your nation, the next target will be Veluna. Of course the government can prevent these next attacks, we are asking for monetary reparations. Reparations to your economy, we are asking of course for 14 trillion Universal Trade Coins that the government has removed from the economy with its commie ways. If not, then we will nuke Veluna tomorrow, and Kyo Rynn City the day after. People of Veluna, ask your representatives this, Why would you risk lives for money? We are expecting the money, President Valinova, you have 8 hours".

Of course, this was all just a ruse, Anwyn had no nuclear weapons. Nor did Anwyn actually believe in Capitalism, or Socialism, they were almost a mercenary group, but, they were prepared for the governmental response. The leader knew that the government would not pay. He in fact expected a violent response, one that would cost seats in the upcoming parliamentary elections. Better yet, he had prepared an escape route for all but the expendables, making for a botched attack on a terrorist group on the USSA's own soil. The Reds in the CRP of course were prepared for this, and had already readied a series of devastating advertisements for the upcoming elections, knowing that the current President would never enact the emergency power laws that many previous leaders would enact in times of crisis.

Veluna City

Valinova was with the Ministers of the nation, all of whom had something to say about the current crisis. A nuke detonated in the City of Lost Angels, and over 3 million people had died. Surprisingly, the damage was light, as the nuke used was small, a tactical nuclear weapon detonated in the heart of a city. The Internal Affairs Minister had reported this fact, as due to that simple, if cold fact, there was a report from Lost Angels, instead a news report.
"Damage to Lost Angels will likely cost 450 billion Universal Trade Coins." said the Internal Affairs minister. The Foreign Affairs minister at the time, was outraged at this attack, and despite the fact that it was his job to be diplomatic, cried out for an aggressive strategy.
"We need to find out who did this, and wipe them off the face of the earth"! A low level functionary came into the room and reported.
"Madame President, Ministers, we now know who is responsible, they are issuing a statement over our television lines."
"Bring it up Weston". The screen came up, showing an individual wearing a mask, in front of a grey background, like those used in photography studios. The individual delivered a speech, essentially bashing everything the nation stood for, and demanded monetary "reparations", for simply being socialist.
"Do we know where the transmission comes from?" asked Harry Angel, Intelligence Minister, and the current Prime Minister.
"Yes sir, it came from the abandoned Westover Air National Guard Base".
"The one purchased from us last year"?
"The same one sir". President Valinova, who had remained silent for the entire meeting finally spoke to the Ministers.
"We have a terrorist group on our hands. One that is asking for money we don't have, and one that is a nuclear threat. War Minister Howell, do you think you could get a strike ready. I'm afraid we're going to need it." she said with some resignation.
"Yes, I could send in the 3rd Air Mobile Regiment".
"Very well, make it so.", she replied sounding sad at the thought of military action.
Last edited by Post War America on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 pm

OOC: Jenrak, when listing any Vanum War Stories, could you write "Vanum War Part 1, Vanum War Part 2, etc".
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 pm

[PMT]

Completion
An undisclosed underground location in Ave, Andros, Mosasauria:
His work was finally finished. After years of toiling away, neglecting others and himself, slaving away in front of machines, it was complete.
Mosasauria's day of reckoning had come. The years of scorn that the other scientists and researchers of Mosasauria threw at him, all their ethical and moral bullshit, would forever be irrelevant. For he, HE, had succeeded where they had failed. And now, those who rejected him would pay. After all, they should have known they did so at their own peril.
At last, at last!

The sound of a charging handle being yanked resounded through the usually silent chamber. The scientist turned around to meet the gaze of four members of the Mosasaurian Secret Police, their I-7 assault rifles glistening in the glowing light of the machines. All were pointed at his head.
"Djoka Iskander, you are under arrest for conspiring against the people and government of Mosasauria, along with conducting unauthorized experimentation on sentient creatures," one of the men said.
"Oh, relax, would you? I was just about to unveil my creation, after all. Wouldn't you all just love to stick around and see?"
"Make any sudden movements, and you will be lying in a puddle of your own blood, understood?"
"Why would you ever assume such a thing?" the scientist asked, slowly pulling a small receiver out of his back pocket. "Who said anything about sudden movements?"
The scientist pressed the button on the receiver. At that moment, a large swathe of light overwhelmed all those standing in the chamber. A secret door opened. Dark, organic, sharp objects flew out. The four MSP officers fell to the floor.
Out of the door came an organism unlike any other Mosasauria had seen, which is quite truly a statement. It was not animal, nor plant, nor fungus, nor protist. It was a eukaryote, but of a new kingdom.
Well, not quite a new kingdom. Rather, a very old kingdom. A lost, kingdom, so to speak. The kingdom of the Ediacarian fauna. The scientist himself dubbed it Ediacaria.
The monstrosity was created using the DNA of ancient Ediacarian fauna. Unraveling it, mapping it, and restructuring it, the scientist managed to create an entirely new organism.
And here it came!
It had no jaw, but it had a mouth. Full of rasping teeth and a sharp, edged, bony tongue. It slithered in a way reminiscent of a worm lizard. It had no true limbs, but bony protrusions stuck out of its exoskeleton to assist in its movement. Perhaps the strangest feature of it was a defense mechanism that the scientist himself designed: quill-like structures that covered most of the creature's body. These could, at a moment, be flung off the creature's body and into whatever victim it deemed viable. There were no detectable eyes, but there seemed to be some kind of structure for hearing or smelling. The scientist would not know until he could produce another to dissect.
The scientist marveled at how it moved and reacted with its environment.
A creature, unlike any other, created by him. Something that would turn the current world of biology upside-down.

What the scientist failed to pay attention to, however, was how his creation was faring.
In his haste and eagerness, the scientist had [conveniently] forgotten that the Ediacarian fauna were never adapted to life on land.
While he was too busy aggrandizing himself in his mind, his creation suffocated due to the lack of the seawater in which it was born.
Just as the scientist picked up a phone that he hadn't touched in years, the creature stopped moving, dead.

The scientist dropped to his knees, and began to sob as more Secret Police entered and lifted him away.
Last edited by Mosasauria on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

The utterly insane dictator wrote:
Jenrak wrote:Please follow the format, Utterly Insane Dictator, or I cannot put you on the index.

You need the tags in the posts, not just the title.

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The utterly insane dictator » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 am

Jenrak wrote:
The utterly insane dictator wrote:

You need the tags in the posts, not just the title.

done.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 pm

OOC: Hey Jenrak, don't mean to be pushy, but I added one, and have a request immediately below it. Of course, I'll simply restate it. I want all stories with the Title The Vanum War to have either their subtitle alone, or excluded when it is entered into the database.

Edit: On second thought, this is how I want them presented in the database.

[Insert Title Here] (Vanum War Series)
Last edited by Post War America on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Sorgan
Senator

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorgan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 pm

[ MT ]
[ Mature ]

A Day In The Life

I was about thirteen at the time, and I remember the day vividly. The Qazai riots were a horrid day in our nation's history. Both whites and colored citizens could feel the impact of the event. I can still picture the ruby red flames the plagued the city, the melted ruins of automobiles and buildings littering the streets. It was day I try not to remember but no matter how hard I try, I can't forget it.

Qazai, Sorgani Isles
1:45, March 13th, 2006

I was walking down the street with my family on that fateful day. We were traveling to local colored restaurant, one of the few public places we could eat at without being arrested or harassed by some group of spoiled colonials. I refuse to call them Sorgani. The day seemed like any other, the sun was beating down upon us and there was not a single cloud in the sky. It seemed like another good day to be out and about in downtown Qazai. Outside of the restaurant I spotted my friends who were playing with a handful of marbles on the steps.

"Hey Kazel, hey Nabbi." I said with a smile on my face.

"Cazius! Your family eats here too?" Said Nabbi.

"Yep, father says it's the only clean place to eat."

"Good! We can sit together, right Kazel?"

"Or, we could do something a little more...exciting." said Kazel as he gave Nabbi a devious smile.

I looked at them in confusion but Nabbi and Kazel ran off to the park before I could ask them any questions. They ran to the other side of the street and motioned for me to follow. I looked back to my mother and father who were standing outside the restaurant. My mother gave me a slight nod and a smile meaning that she approved of my plans. I darted across the street and followed me friends deep into the park across the street. I trailed behind Nabbi and Kazel who led our tiny expedition into the forest. It was strange, I lived in the city for all my life but never in my life had I ventured this far into the park. It was like discovering a whole new world. The trees seem much more alive than the ones that would occasionally dot the sidewalks. The insects here were colorful and playful instead of annoying and infectious.

Nabbi and Kazel came to a stop at a small opening in the forest were three or four stumps sat, rooted to the ground. Nabbi motioned for me to sit down with them. As I sat down Kazel took his back pack off and reached in to pull out a long bottle of whiskey. He brushed off the dust that had collected on the outside of the bottle and smiled at me and Nabbi. I gave them a long stare and then looked down at the bottle.

"So, uh, are we supposed to drink this or something?" I said awkwardly.

Before anybody responded to me Kazel took a big sip from the bottle and passed it to Nabbi. I remember the anxiety I felt as the bottle came to me. I looked into it and then gave Nabbi a big long stare. I took a small sip of it and immediately spit it out on the dirt. I remember how disgusted I was with the taste. Kazel and Nabbi both laughed at me, which got me thinking how long exactly they were doing this without me. I shrugged the notion off and passed the bottle on. I sat there and watched them take small sips of it before finally placing it back into the backpack. On the way back it was silent with the occasional joke being told by Kazel. Soon enough we reached the restaurant and met up with our parents. Kazel took his back pack and ran off telling us he was late for lunch at his house. We said our goodbyes at that was it, the last I ever saw of Kazel.

Without Kazel, me and Nabbi carried on into the restaurant and spotted my family sitting down in a corner seat. I only remember ordering my soup before the noise of marching and yelling took over the chatter in the restaurant. We all looked outside to see a crowd of colored citizens marching and holding up signs. I watched in awe, I had never seen a protest of such size occur. My father smiled and turned to me. He took me outside to follow the march on the side walk as it made its way to Kingsville Plaza. When we reached the plaza my jaw dropped. I had never seen so many people in one place working in such unity. It was glorious. An hour had passed and me and my father were sitting in the plaza listening to men and women give speeches. I felt such a surge of hope and inspiration. Until, the Civil Guard arrived. All good things must come to an end right?

All I can remember is a group of white men arriving on horses with batons and pepper spray. Their horses charged into the crowd in an attempt to disperse the crowd. They swung their might batons down upon the men and women of the protest. Cracking skulls, trampling people, it was madness. The crowd panicked with some running away and other charging towards them in an attempt to defy their rule. Around the corner a line of riot police swept down the plaza like a broom cleaning up the filth and dirt from the floor. Anyone who wasn't incapacitated or fleeing was arrested on the spot. I remember watching this from behind a building. It was horrid. I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder and soon I was pinned to the wall.

"In accordance with senate ruling 287 you are now placed under the cus-" He was interrupted.

A large sound echoed throughout the city accompanied by a massive shockwave that threw me back. The bombings had begun. The brotherhood of Qazai had enough. A large building spewed flames as it collapsed in on itself. The city was in chaos. People ran for their cars for they could not understand what was going on. I felt the officer ease up on me as he jumped into action. I simply looked around myself at the panic. I knew this wasn't the end of the riots. This was only going to become the average day in the life of a native.

((OoC: Just tagged as "mature" to be safe considering it has underlying themes of segregation, terrorism, and underage drinking.))
Last edited by Sorgan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Denisova of the Persephone Belt
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Denisova of the Persephone Belt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm

The big empty
[FT]

In those last moments of life you are empty. Everyone says you see your pitiful life in front of your eyes. They say God reveals your sins in your last moments. He shows you as you slip through the gates of Hell all of your sins. He shows you all of the moments in your life that could have meant something, but you chose to ignore them. He shows you just how moronic you were during you insignificant life.

God is not our savior. He is our judge. He swallows our black hearts down his prejudiced throat and destroys the memory of our flawed existence on Denisova.

When I first died I was on Earth. I died before years were recorded or even recognized. The Earth-Humans call it the ‘Ice Age’ now. I assumed the life of a simple Cro-Magnon hunter during those days, but I was much more than that. I was the first Denisovan on Earth since the Great Leap back to the Persephone Belt. It was different than when we first discovered it. The trees we planted were forests and the mountains we formed were great towers of rock.

The warrior’s village was smaller than most. A product of the environment was what I discovered. Several “moons” earlier a Wooly Mammoth destroyed their encampment to protect its breeding grounds. The Cro-Magnons moved westwards after the incident. We were now centered within a great dip between two mountains. The village used the high rock walls around them for protection from the harsh world around them. The valley was an escape from reality.

The snow crunched under my feet as I quietly stepped through the white powder. It was hard to walk in such thick snow. I sank down farther with every step, as if the snow was trying to keep me there, like it needed something new to fall on, to cover up. I continued to plow through the snow, my belly rumbled with hunger. It was the first time I was ever hungry. I felt so different. I began to search harder for an animal to retire so that I could quench the hunger eating at my stomach. Oh, how I loved the feeling. It gave me purpose.

I had a flint stone in my hand, sharpened at one end to make a point. On my back I had a bent piece of wood with a string through the ends and poorly constructed arrows with rough shards of flint wrapped around one end. In my mind, my Denisovan mind, I knew I could not kill what I hunted. My Earth-Human mind however, told me I could. It told me I could feed my family with the meat if I chose to. I decided to leave my Denisovan min in that frozen place.

That’s when I died. I found what my Earth-Human mind had me searching for. The Wooly Mammoth was massive. It lumbered through the trees, shaking the ground and throwing snow off of trees. My stomach was appeased by the sight of the creature. It had a massive, wrinkled trunk guarded by two ivory tusks. Scars covered the beast’s face and body. It was a warrior like I was. I took the strung wooden stick off my back and readied an arrow. I aimed for its eye and fired. The arrow struck its thick trunk and the monster bellowed in pain. I could see its eyes scan the trees frantically for me. I wasn’t hiding. My hunger gave me the strength, the courage to stand in the open and fire.

By the time the Wooly Mammoth found me I had fired several arrows into its stomach and head. It reared back and I shot its stomach. When it charged my courage disappeared and I began to run. My knees jumped up high as I ran awkwardly through the heavy snow, and my body was whipped by angry tree branches. The Wooly Mammoth galloped behind me with ease. Snow would not stop its charge and neither would the trees. They splintered apart as the beast rushed through the forest. I began to wish I had kept my Denisovan instincts.

The mammoth caught up to me because I tripped. The snow hid from my sight a low branch and as I stepped I snagged the branch and fell forwards into the snow. My foot was twisted into a painful position and I could not pick myself up. The ground still shook and I knew without looking that the mammoth was on top of me, ready to strike upon me his vengeance. He would erase me from existence. I could not stop him.

That is when I first saw God. He was Scorpio and he descended up me in his true form. His skin was like quicksilver and his eyes were a piercing red. He spoke to me and told me I had sinned. He showed me all of my sins and then departed. He returned to Orion’s Shoulder with my black heart in his hands. I turned to meet my foe and was gored by his ivory tusk. The snowy plains began to disappear as he flung me back into the snow, now a deep purple. He killed me with his massive foot, he crushed my bones into the snow and I felt the big empty embrace me. I was erased from the Earth as if I had never existed.
Last edited by Denisova of the Persephone Belt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abruzi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abruzi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:35 pm

A Beautiful Death.
PMT.

The plain below was obscured in an unnatural haze just as the air was torn by the guttural cries of men who fought out of desperation as much as they waged a battle for an idea. Stinking of cordite and fear, the two armies of slaves were so vast that they stretched from horizon to horizon, so loud that to stand in the midst of the combat was to be borderline deaf for the rest of your life, so determined that they fought in the same valley that their father's father's fathers first set out to conquer. Blood had over time stained the cursed soil a deep red, the very color of hell. Bones piled so high that they formed natural battlements from which the slaves continued to fight from.

In the very center of the combat raged a second battle that had raged for as many decades as the one around it. On one side towered a figure clothed in golden armor from a more noble age, trading blows with a creature of pure darkness. Skulls hung around the creature's waste, and in it's hand a mighty battleaxe danced a brutal dance against the golden figure's sword. Giants amongst men, titans amongst giants, gods amongst titans; the two fought without ceasing for over two centuries. To look upon them was to see the face of death itself for mere mortals could hardly last a few moments in their unholy presence. Worn thin by this duel of deities, the Noosphere spilled forth in their immediate vicinity and unleashed horrors that were the very stuff of humanity's collective nightmares. These beasts waged a battle as eternal and brutal as their masters, fighting for the sake of fighting while also fighting for the sake of Novaya Bolshevism.

Towering above the battle was the cliffs upon which two cities stood. To the north towered the dark citadel of, “Gorod Nechestivost” while to the south the city of “Gorod Poryadke”. Their entire populations were committed to the battle below, the very same battle that had begun two hundred years earlier. Such was the size of the dueling gods armies that their reserves had been able to establish cities where their camps had once stood, all the while feeding more men into the meat grinder of a battle. A generation would be born, mature, fight, and die, in one engagement. Lines of battle would shift, bend, break, and reform, for no strategic gain. Atomic fire rained from the heavens, Exo Skeletoned Regiments made suicide charges, and through it all slaves hacked at each other with brutally archaic swords and axes.

There would be no peace, that much was obvious. Both cities had swollen to be the largest in the Novaya Bolshevist Union because they offered the Lyudi Vostochnoĭ a chance to kill within sight of their gods. That was the greatest prize, the only chance for immortality. It was whispered that those of particular brutality or purpose were rewarded with the chance to become Ideas within the Noosphere. The same ideas that were given physical form and allowed to spill forth to fight for eternity alongside their gods. Pilgrimages from as far away as Gorod Kamen or the ruins of Gorod Mortuss arrived regularly to bolster the respective sides, providing fresh fanatics with which the coat of blood-paint could be reapplied.

Their desperate battle, which had raged for centuries, was the culmination of a campaign that steeped in mystery despite being on a scale which few mortals could perceive. Thirteen Holy Sites, thirteen ancient Novaya Bolshevist bunkers that contained the seed of billions, thirteen places where the future of Abruzi and all of humanity would be decided. The forces of the Gospodar Lubanja, genocidal god of the Lyudi Vostochnoi had claimed six of these bunkers. Legions of the subconsciousness DMITRI manifested in the being known as Duhideale has secured an additional six. One remained, the largest, most significant of the sites. It sat beneath the feet of the dueling gods and would be claimed by the victor who would then be able to repopulate the ravaged Novaya Bolshevist Union. Repopulate them with the perfect citizens, men who were conditioned by the ancient and dark sciences of the Commissariat of Nourishment as much as the indoctrinating machines of the Commissariat of Contentment which they would be subjected to mere seconds after birth.

If the forces of the Lubanja were to claim victory, if they were to finally wipe the forces of DMITRI from the earth, then humanity would be catapulted to a new and dark future. One that was torn by fear and warfare that was more brutal than a fragile mortal mind could comprehend. The forces of DMITRI offered no peace, instead they offered enslavement. Humanity would be scrubbed of the concept of the individual. It would become a race and species of machines, grinding forward with only one clear purpose, to control. Both sides offered a bleak future for humanity, and yet both sides could only deliver said future upon victory and the battle had already raged for centuries without sight of an end. While none could say how they knew it, the entire population of the Novaya Bolshevist Union knew that the fight would continue for eternity, that it was the same fight that occurred within every mortal man.

Good and Evil, black and white, all rendered a single gray in time. Centuries from now, the people of the Union would spill eachother's blood in the same toxic sands. They would hack and slash, coat themselves in the ichor of their enemies, feast upon their foe's flesh and pile high their skulls before their respective gods. Violence would be eternal and no one would stop to ask why, no one would realize that this battle was the final test that DMITRI has begun so long ago with the rectification. Until mankind changed, until it broke free from the worship of kraven deities that stood so high above and offered nothing but warfare and death, humanity would be grinding closer and closer to it's doom. It would be raising the gun closer and closer to it's head, intent on blowing it's brains upon the wall behind it.

Above the plain stood one figure, rendered immortal and insane by the Dead Zones given new purpose by the Death Worshipers, Rider gazed upon the chaos below and felt nothing. He was not stirred by the eternal carnage, he was not enraged by the senseless slaughter, he felt nothing. Blinking slowly, the solitary figure drew forth a battered book and turned the pages. The spine of the small book was well creased, the pages dogeared, the ink slightly smeared, all signs that the volume was one that was ancient. Upon it's cover danced a symbol that shifted as soon as one tried to get a decent look at it, it spoke volumes and yet uttered not a sound. It was branded upon the hearts of millions and yet it was nowhere. It symbolized nothing, and everything.

It was Rider's insanity.

Holding book aloft with one hand, Rider raised the other to the heavens and took a great breath. Air from as far away as Utopia rushed into his lungs and with the voice of the titans he roared,

“The way of humanity is a way of death.”

Below him the battle continued, it raged without end and without form. He knew that his proclamation would not alter it, he knew that nothing of this world or another could end it, and yet his message had had a purpose. It was subtle yet obvious, a slight alteration that would in time change the destiny of humanity. Where once the legions below had cried, “Forward, for the State!” now they cried, “Death!”. It was the end of all things, and the souls of the people of the Union had been infected by it in that instant. Rider knew that with his dark utterance, made possible by a combination of science and the Noosphere, he had ensured that a new era would dawn over Abruzi. Gone was the age of the Brothers of Blood, gone was the age of the Rectification. Finished was the epoch of the Reorganization. In it's place towered a new sigil, a new rallying point for those who sought one, in all of the future books the time that Rider now stood in would be called by a name more significant than all the previous.

To their enemies it was now the Age of Aggression, to their friends the Age of Restoration, to the Lyudi Vostochnoĭ it was the Age of the Two Gods, to Rider, it was the End.

With eyes still upon the battle below, he knelt upon the sands. Blood, hatred, fear, and lust; the emotions swept over him as his body touched the despoiled soil. So many generations had died with this battle unfolding below, so many had bled their lifeblood upon the very same soil Rider now sat upon. It was no secret that he was immortal, the one gift from the mind destroying regions of the south-lands. Flawed to his most intimate levels, he was reforged in the Noosphere as an idea as much as he was rebuilt as man. Yet there was one escape still open, one doorway unlocked. Rider could end his own life, destroy the idea that he was, silence the voices; forever.

With infinite care he produced a tightly rolled leather scroll. Weathered beyond imagination's limits, the scroll was the final physical remnants of the very first avatar of the Lubanja. Carved upon the skin of Petrov was the simple poem,

The blood spills
As if the Warriors of before were a dream.

With infinite care Rider drew a razor sharp knife from his belt. Twisting the blade in his grasp, he set it down facing him. Slowly he stripped his upper body of it's clothing, all the while muttering the million and one phrases of the elder's wisdom. The sun set and rose, all the while the one time Ranger preared. Finally at noon on the third day of preparation, he slowly exhaled and mused aloud,

“It is better to die, then to not die.”

Stabbing himself in the stomach, he dragged the blade downward without even a gasp of pain. Pausing for a moment to speak again, he softly muttered,

“The way of the Vostochnoi is a way of desperation.”

Stabbing himself again, he dragged the blade across his body, creating a grisly cross over the center of his stomach. Spilling forth onto the sands, his entrails and lifeblood quickly gathered and began to seep into the already ravaged soil. Pausing a final time, Rider blubbered out through numb lips,

“The way of the Vostochnoi is to be found in death.”

He began to grow cold, slowly his vision dimmed, and the Rider's last sight was that of battle. In the Noosphere the scene was replayed, it was replayed a million times and more. It was beamed into the minds of the entire populace, not as a sight but a sensation. A brief glimpse into the workings of the world. It was a message to some, nothing to most, and one of the single most significant occurrences in the history of humanity. His body never fell, instead it was encased in iron the second he died, though not by mortal hands. Perhaps it was the gods below, or perhaps the very force of death come to immortalize it's single champion. Either way, Rider was made to gaze upon the conflict that would rage until the stars died, the lone watcher just as he was the lone wanderer. Yet his scroll, the one that bore not only it's original words but also his dying phrases, was gone. Carried across Abruzi, it now sat beside the bed of one of the Brothers of Blood.

Forward for the #Sanc!
Nationstates 40,000, In the grim darkness of the far future there is only retcon -Oz
SSO For Mod

Channel on the Esper Net
Fun times are had there

Kybrutirat

Emporer Pudu
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Emporer Pudu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

[ POST MODERN TECH ]

[ KRIEGSMASCHINE ]

Some years ago, deep beneath the Pudite Homeland, during the Grondian War

General Ratischnich looked interestedly at the top of the great pillar that dominated the small white steel-walled room. The only other inhabitant of the room was much less enthralled by the strange sight there; Dr. Pasternak had lived and worked here for more than three years in virtual isolation. His attention was drawn by the general; an intimidating figure for the doctor's wiry artisan-caste frame, and with his high pointed cap still planted formidably on his brow he was nearly a giant.

Before the two men was a pillar, or rather, a column that reached from the floor up toward the domed ceiling; approximately two thirds of the way up however the metal exterior was replaced by a human torso. With skin as pale as the doctor's coat and eyes that had been sewn closed it did not take the many hundreds of wires buried in the creature's skull to know that what humanity remained in the fleshy package was merely a subunit of the room. Both of the pillar-man's arms were outstretched, enveloped above the elbow in large metal chambers ending in many thousands more wires and cables; all these snaked toward a blinking unit mounted in the ceiling, just above the head of the man. A man in the machine.

The general spoke, "Tell me doctor, walk me through the process. Don't skip a step, not one."

"Right," began Dr. Pasternak slowly, "Well, first things first - the vessel you see before you; you'd do well to stop thinking of it as a man." The doctor paused, holding his chin with his arm folded below it, thinking, "This thing that was once a man is now part of something greater. He is a part of the war effort; he is possibly the greatest ever leap forward in weapons technology; he is, well, collateral damage, if that makes it easier to understand."

"I said tell me the process," snapped the general, "I don't need your editorializing; it doesn't matter what this man is... or isn't."

"I know, I know," the doctor took a step toward the pillar, resting a hand on it, "I just need to keep the focus on the bigger picture, what I am going to describe may be... distasteful."

The doctor turned away from the general, who let out a barely audible grunt. Boris Pasternak spoke up again "From the start, the aim of our Advanced Robotic Initiative has been to work toward designs that are more humanoid in form as well as function. This has met with limited success. Adaptive A.I., when developed, broke new ground for Pudite engineers and frankly, convinced everyone involved we could do this the easy way. After all, approximating human-soldier responses shouldn't be hard, right? As long as they follow orders, which they'd be programmed to do without fail..."

General Ratischnich interrupted, "Except they failed. You don't have to patronize me doctor, I was on the INS Irretractable Glory when the orders came to fire the missiles. I know what happened."

"Well," replied the doctor, slightly flustered, "We won't be having that problem this time around. That... vessel," he pointed to the man-pillar, "is now serving as a human core; a decision unit to temper the robotic programming. Not everything of course, these things will be running themselves, but by minutely subdividing the human brain we've created a process by which every computer choice is reinforced by the neural network of a Pudite soldier. It's foolproof.

"Simulating independent thought is easy as far as say, speech patterns and movement go. But programming a robot to feel? To be intuitive or to anticipate needs? Harder. Which is where this fellow came in; we've all seen that just linking a human to a robot doesn't supply the necessary intangibles, not without...

"Making him a vegetable." injected the general.

"Your pardon sir, but a persistent vegetative state is still not getting the job done. In its simplest terms, we need something more than some brain patterns. We need all of him."

"When can we expect a prototype?"
asked the general.

"That," smiled Dr. Pasternak, "Is something whomever you had watching me must have missed, we've had a prototype for weeks. MENTON!" shouted the doctor suddenly, barely startling the grizzled officer. Seconds later the northern door to the circular chamber slid open automatically; standing there was something unmistakably robotic.

Two thin metal legs punctuated by large round joints supported a hollow ribcage inside which a silver metallic spinal column extended up from the swiveling hips of what was labeled in stark white paint to be MENTON III. Atop the skeletal frame was an oval-shaped head whose only visible feature a single receded diode at it's center, ominously colored red. General Ratischnich never thought to ask where the previous two MENTONs were.

"Menton," began the doctor, "come here and introduce yourself to the general."

MENTON III's oval head bobbed in acknowledgement and the artificial skeleton walked briskly over to the general, moving with at least as much grace as the mature officer, and capable of much more. "Sir? Good to see you here. I'm ready to serve. Ready to kick some Grondian ass, I mean."

A flickered on the generals face but his eyes were still hard and untrusting, and he took up the extended steel hand and shook it firmly. "You've got quite a grip there Menton,"

"Indeed sir, I am capable of exerting many times the force of organic muscles."

"That's what you're here for Menton." Turning back to Dr. Pasternak the general continued, "How many of these can we put into production?" Ratischnich reached into his pocket and popped open a cigarette case, "You want one?"

"No, thank you." Pasternak replied as the general lit up, "The specifications have already been distributed; technically, we can operate only twenty-seven thousand four-hundred and fourteen individual robots on this human core," the doctor waved at the man in the pillar, "but there's no reason the process cannot be repeated."

"When will they be serviceable?"

MENTON interjected here in his exuberant automated voice, "I am service-fit now sir, ready to go. I am your gun, just point me and shoot."

"Well then," answered the general before Dr. Pasternak could answer his original question, "Let us put that to the test, shall we? Pull out our gun right now."

"Sir?" questioned Dr. Pasternak, "This really isn't the place for this kind of test, I must-"

General Ratischnich cut him off, "This is a big secret, what is down here. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Either way, we need to keep this quiet."

"Sir," began the doctor, a note of fear in his voice, "This is... this isn't necessary!" the doctor began to step backward, moving away from the general, "Science is my life, you know I will safeguard the robots, and-" he stopped, tripping over a coil of cables sprawled across the floor and landing with a groan.

"Yes doctor, I know that. The gun isn't for you."

"...Sir? I don't understand..." began the doctor nervously,

General Pasternak pulled on his cigarette and spat on the floor, "You can't understand, sitting here alone, safe, all these years. You weren't THERE, in the trenches in the heart of occupied Ericcan country, you've never looked up at a sky blackened by endless bombers - Grondian bombers, you have never stormed a beach or breeched a Grondian artillery bunker. This will win the war; it will make my job obsolete. Your work here doctor has put us in a position to end an endless war. The debt your nation owes you... your Emperor owes you."

"...Thank you sir."

"Shoot me Menton."

"Yes sir" The robot didn't hesitate, it shot him in the head at point blank range.

Dr. Pasternak was still on the floor, splattered with blood, when the Cohortes Urbanae arrived, the gunshot having set off any number of sensors and alarms. General Ratischnich's body lay lifeless across the room, blood pooling at the feet of MENTON III. The robot was ready.

Urarail
Envoy

Founded: Mar 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urarail » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 pm

[ MT ]

[ A Black-Grey War ]

Central Command, Sudentor, Grabacr Province, Urarail

"How many?"

"Over 11 million. They hit Letzelicht."

Althan Reirmark had to pause at that number. 11 million dead, just like that. Snap of your finger, a blink of an eye against a nuclear mushroom. 11 million dead in an instant. Easy as breakfast.

The Lord Commander mulled for a moment. "Reprisal options?"

General Schanze, a rotund man as much flesh and sweat as uniform, wiped his sopping forehead as he checked the bank of monitors. "The Thrice Ending is within range of all major urban centers of Raion."

Althan clapped his hands in approval. "Raion it is then. Tetrakon is about ready to experience a sushi shortage."

30 minutes later, the dozen MIRV warheads from the Urarailian sub has blossomed into their deadly petals, and in another destructive instant, Urarail had erased the Raionese State from the Meritocracy's maps. A few minutes after Raion ceased to exist, a call came in.

A flustered junior officer, juggling the death screams of cities with the bleating cries of orphaned warships begging for orders flagged down the Lord Comnander's attention. "Prut High Command for you sir."

"I see we finally have their attention, but them through."

A brief burst of static filled the comm line, before a genteel but steely voice began to speak. "Reirmark. That was a poor decision."

"Quite the contrary General, it finally got you to take my call."

"You'd destroy a whole nation...to get me to answer a phone!?"

Reirmark paused in consideration before deciding. "Hmmm....yes."

The Prut commander paused. "You realize we have to respond in kind."

Reirmark snorted a short, mirthless laugh. "Respond?!?! You Greycloaks started this when you nuked our fleet!"

The Prut voice rose in volume, maybe out of anger, but more likely from fatigue. "Which is in accordance with our doctrine, Lord Commander Reirmark, a doctrine you are infinitely well aware of."

Reirmark fired back. "How's that doctrine working out for you now, General?"

A longer pause. "It'd be more effective if we weren't fighting madmen. Madmen who persist on escalating this to mutual annihilation."

"That a ceasefire offer, General?"

It was the Prut who laughed now, a hearty, from the gut laugh. "Is that even a possibility now?"

Reirmark strolled over to a monitor. "Hmmm....no. Urarail has been reduced to less than 3.6 million alive out of 232 million. The Warhost ceased to be an effective fighting force 4 hours ago when you hit our main bases. Hence my nuclear shootout. When all you have is a hammer as they say. Your end?"

The Prut paused. "Just over 11 million alive, mostly in Hesperia. And our military is as dead as yours."

Reirmark stared at the tactical maps lining the wall, belching out the ever-rising death toll. "Well confound it all. Draw again?"

The Urarailian could almost see the Prut officer's head shaking in agreement. "As much as mutual extinction is a draw. Still, good game Lord Commander."

"And you too, General. Same time next month?"

"Looking forward to it. I'll have my people forward you their assessment by breakfast tomorrow, and I trust you'll do the same?"

"As we always do. Until then General." As the line disconnected, Althan turned to the CIC staff. "And that's a wrap folks, great work as always."

As Urarailian personnel removed headsets, some began discussing dinner plans, others commenting how long their hometowns had lasted in the nuclear firestorm. As the room slowly emptied, one of the officers made a final log entry:

/command: Terminate simulation.
Last edited by Urarail on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I one day hope to have my own Security Council "Condemn Urarail" Resolution. And a verified Twitter account.

North Defese wrote:"People always thought it would be zombies or foreigners," one man told us, "or maybe zombie foreigners. No one thought of this! Why did we have to have so much body oil and those things you put on your nipples and spin around!? WHAT WERE WE THINKING!?"

Banana Exporters
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Banana Exporters » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Faire Fonctionner [PT]

Grande Riviere,

"Vite, vite!"

Three Haitians rushed through the forest, hugging the wide bank of the river between them and the dark green forest. The man in the front lugged a dark black duffel bag full of over a million Corcos from a communal bank in a nearby village. The distant crashing of branches, alerting the fleeing men of the trailing police behind them and served to encourage the criminals to use every ounce of strength to meet the boat at the delta of the meandering river. The crack of a rifle shattered a nearby tree and wood shards scattered every which way with tremendous force.

The men crouched instinctively and pushed forward through the thicket. Another crack, this time shattering clods of dirty mud near one of the criminal's feet. "Merde!" The man tripped and fell. The thick mud sucked him into its maw, poised to drag him deep beneath the dirt. An arm shot out to grab the fallen man, the mud whined as its pray was pulled away, to safety. The fleeing Haitian looked straight into the eyes of one of his comrades. As quickly as they looked at each other, the other man rushed back into the forest, the mud covered Haitian quickly behind him as the police moved in closer and closer.

"Voilà! Le bateau!"

A third, extremely loud crack broke their joy filled moment. The expertly aimed shot connected with one of the criminal's head and the large caliber bullet turned his brains to a thin red soup. The bullet killed him instantly and his large body crashed through the greenery around him and hit with a thud. The mud-covered man behind him cried out and almost stumbled over the body but recovered enough to continue running.

Heavy beads of sweat began to rush down his face and body, and his lungs began to wheeze and cough from the overuse. The man in front of him, the one holding the money was already at the river and boarding the boat. It was pulling away! He yelled out to them, pleading for them to wait for him. The driver looked up from his instruments and alerted the man holding the duffel bag. The mud-covered man's eyes widened with fear as a rifle was brought up to aim at him.

"Non! S'il vous plaît!"

The recoil from the rifle blew the gun upwards and the bullet raced through the air rushing towards the mud-covered Haitian. He turned to flee, but the bullet struck him hard in the side and he was tossed violently into the mud that tried to claim him earlier. His world began to fade and dance around wildly in his eyes, he saw the boat pull away, and then he saw the police bending down to look at him, trying to get his attention and apply medical bandages. He gurgled and spat blood in response to the the fading policemen. He thought they were ghosts, he had no idea he was being dragged into am old horse-drawn cart.

Port-au-Prince,

The provincial capital of the territory of Haiti was abuzz with the news of the criminal terror sweeping through the northern half of the small territory. Already the Sandino & Co. Telegram Office was under threat of a criminal raid, leaving the Haitian Police stretched incredibly thin. It seemed as if Haiti would fall into the hands of the criminal band hidden in the northern jungle.

"Vous avez appelé, Monsieur le Président?" The president gave a gentle nod to the man standing in the doorway of the rather lavish Presidential Office. "Please, Police Minster, sit down." a genuine smile crossed the old President's face, a stark contrast to his Hispanic looks. "I called you here today to inform you of, a few changes." The president's Spanish accent told the Police Minister that the president was native to the Rio Grande area of Mexico. "Vraiment?" the Police Minister sat confused for a few moments before continuing.

"What are these, these changes?" The president opened a folder and pulled out a telegram, addressed to the officer in charge of the closest armory, Fort Riviere. It detailed the deployment of a battalion of men, to quell the criminal activity. It also released the operation into military hands which meant it was now out of police jurisdiction. The Minister struggled with the Spanish in the message before shouting 'No!'. The president laughed, which made the Minister more anxious. "What do you mean 'no'? The military will lessen your work load. You should be happy I told you before I sent the message out."

The Police Minister sighed loudly, signaling his defeat without even a counter-argument. "Thank you, Mr. President, I'm sure my men will be relieved to hear this news." again the president nodded and stood up to shake hands with the Minister, and show him out of the private 'government-owned' mansion. "Adios, Amigo. I hope you reach the station without incident. The old police officer nodded uneasily at the last remark. He'd been through many situations were a man was killed by a close colleague, he vowed to stay vigilant and drive as slow as humanly possible down the winding roads of Port-au-Prince.

Sandino & Co. Telegram Office,

The two Haitians rocked in their chairs back and forth, back and forth. The obnoxious chewing of tobacco from one man was the only noise between the two of them. From the opening in the forest, the honk of a horn woke the two men from their delightful stupor. The odd looking automobile with wiry wheels and long shape smashed through what undergrowth still grew around the fresh unpaved road. The flamboyant horn announced its arrival and two police officers waved at the telegram office workers. "Here we go." The two men stood up from their rocking chairs and moved slowly down the front porch and onto the warm brownish dirt.

"Hello ofisye, ki jan nou ka gen yon sèvis?"

The car stopped abruptly and and the two men piled out in a hurry. It looked like they were expecting the little automobile to explode at any second. When they were satisfied with the vehicle they went about their business, grabbing their rifles, paperwork and hats. "Hello, my friends. My name is Officer Ruiz and my partner, Officer Ibanez." The two officers tipped their hates in greeting and Ruiz continued, "We're here to protect this installation from criminal vandalism." The two telegram workers sighed and kicked dirt.

"Chi, we don't need police. The troublemakers are up north with the army."

The two officers bobbed their head's up and down. "Minister's orders, we can't leave; where's a good place to bunk?"

The two Haitains looked at each other and ran inside. The reappeared on the roof of the telegram office holding bedding and pillows. "Up isit la! Up here will do." Ruiz and Ibanez groaned and began to protest. They were interrupted by the Haitians' snide comments about them being women. They reluctantly climbed onto the roof and laid their things next to the two bedrolls.
Last edited by Banana Exporters on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Union of Banana Exporting Countries | Unión de Países Exportadores de Banano

The Parthians
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby The Parthians » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 pm

[ Modern Tech ]

[ Mature ]

Fear and Loathing on the Nurani Estate

Eastern Parthia, Nurani Estate

Shapur Nurani cursed the sun as he awoke from his slumber, tossing himself upright in his absurdly oversized bed set in the center of the massive chamber he called a bedroom. The Khorasan mountains outside his plate glass windows were awash with the glow of the early morning, filling the white marble walled room with an orange glow that made his hand woven Parthian carpets shimmer.

“Fucking sunlight. Fuck you! I’m sleeping.”

He kicked one of his sex slaves still asleep next to him, “Get me a servant in here so I can have some breakfast.”

The woman, an import from the Scandinvan slave market of Valdra, was a beautiful blond, perhaps kidnapped from Kahanistan. She was little more than a beautiful shell at this point, so badly addicted to heroin that she did whatever Lord Nurani said in return for a daily ration of smack.

The woman complied, running off to the intercom to tell the servants to get the Lord his breakfast while he kicked the other four women in his bed awake.

Jumping from his cashmere sheets, Shapur Nurani slipped on a paisley silk robe, storming out of his bed chamber into the sitting room where he would take his breakfast. As he stormed out, a servant placed a tray of fresh needles and a snuff box filled with extremely pure Parthian white heroin. The women rushed for the tray as the lord exited, no doubt to enjoy perhaps the few hours of the day which they now lived for.

Throwing himself into a leather armchair, the lord’s servant had already prepared his tea tray, placing it on the mahogany table in front of the lord.

“Thank you, now, get me my breakfast.”

The servant clapped, double doors leading from the personal kitchens to the sitting room opened up, with a trio of servants pouring out to place lamb chops, saffron rice, savory meat pies, and stuffed grape leaves upon the lord’s personal dining table.

“Will that be all, my lord?” The Servant asked politely.

The Lord replied, “Actually, once I’m finished, grab two girls who aren’t busy chasing the dragon to help me get ready. I need to make some rounds of the estate today.”

The servant shrugged, “But, Lord, the steward will see to that. Perhaps you should shoot some clays instead. I just had your shotguns polished…”

“No, dammit. The production is down and I want to know why. I need to go whip this place into shape so I can buy stuff!”

“What ‘stuff’ do you need, my Lord?” The servant asked.

“That’s beside the point. The point is, I need my product to go to the market so I can have more stuff. It’s as simple as that.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within two hours, the Lord had finished his breakfast and was ready. With a pair of bodyguards, he piled into the armored Mercedes G55 AMG, with another eight bodyguards riding in two more armored Mercedes behind him.

As he waited for a moment, he enjoyed the view. His house… really, more a palace than a house, sat at a high point overlooking a valley. One paved road led to a Parthian highway a dirt track led down to the valley, surrounded by concrete walls, and filled with six villages, inhabited by 1500 souls, it was awash in fields of colored flowers and rimmed on all sides except one by mountains.

The Lord smiled a bit as his motorcade began the descent into the valley, passing through the security gate staffed by six heavily armed men which cut the dirt track from the outside world.

The convoy descended down over 1000 feet, and in a way, back several centuries. Passing fields of poppies in full bloom, the lord smiled as he watched women in headscarves harvest the black latex goo from the pods, using knives and hours of labor, they extracted this resin by hand and compressed it together.

Finally, the lord pulled into the largest village, located in the center of the valley and surrounded by fields of the poppies.

Mud huts served as a contrast to the opulent palace the Lord called his home. Men in turbans and loose fitting robes mulled about. Children drew water from the village well for their families bereft of running water at home. The whole thing stank of a third world slum, thought the Parthian lord as he stepped out with his heavily armed bodyguards.

The lord began to scream in Pashtun, “I want to speak to the fucking Khan of this village, right now.”

The people were shocked to see their feudal lord here in their village. The Pashtuns of this valley knew little else of the outside world besides this man. For two hundred years, his ancestors had told them what to do, and before that, it had been another Parthian aristocratic family. This was their role in life, one they were born in, one they would die in. They knew nothing else but tending the crops of this man who seemed more a god to these entirely illiterate folk.

An old, bearded man stepped forward, “My Lord, what do you ask of us, your serfs. Does something trouble you? We do our duties as asked, do we not?”

“Actually,” Lord Nurani bellowed, “Your village is missing its opium quota by about 100 kilos.”

The old man seemed terrified, “But, my lord… the product is right over there. All of it.” He pointed to a nearby storehouse.

The Lord nodded, “Then open it up… I want to see exactly what we’re dealing with.”

The old man nodded, leading the way in, opening the rickety wooden door of the storehouse, leading the lord and his mercenaries into the hut.

The distinctive smell of perfume filled the room, stacked high with bricks of raw black opium. It had a strong floral incense smell which was utterly unforgettable. The lord knew that smell well, it had been his family’s largest source of income for many decades.

The lord smelled again, “Some of it is burning. Somebody is smoking my fucking product.” He screamed.

“Search this place. NOW!” He screamed at his mercenaries as he followed them around the room, stacked floor to ceiling with the sticky black bricks ready for processing into heroin.

The mercenaries simply followed the smell, hunched in the corner, a boy of about twelve sat hunched over a piece of tinfoil, holding a burning stick underneath with a tube in his mouth. On the tinfoil, a piece of opium bubbled, giving off vapors which he inhaled.

The mercenaries acted quickly, grabbing the boy and dragging him by his ankles out of the storehouse. A crowd gathered around as the mercenaries dragged him into the center of the village, tying him to a pole.

Lord Nurani screamed, “You little shit. You want to smoke my fucking product?”

One of the mercenaries opened the trunk of the Lord’s SUV, allowing two 180 pound Valgardian warhounds, imported at great expense from the Scandinvans, to jump out into the village, sending the villagers running in terror as the growling dogs charged towards the Lord, wagging their tails and licking his hands as he pet the two.

The lord smiled and rubbed the two dogs, “Rex, Carmen,” he pointed at the boy tied to the pole, “KILL!”

The dogs charged, grabbing ahold of the boy’s leg’s and sinking their teeth into them, ripping out chunks of flesh as they had been trained.

The opium thieving child screamed in pain, howling as the dogs tore the flesh from the bones of his legs. One of the dogs sunk its teeth into his hands, severing three of his fingers.

For fifteen minutes, the Parthian lord watched as the dogs ripped the boy apart, smiling as the screams stopped and the savaged corpse, stripped of most of its flesh by the vicious dogs, remained lifelessly still upon the pole.

“Puppies, come here.” The lord called out to the two dogs which came charging back with their tongues hanging out and their tails wagging. “Good puppies… very good”, he pet them and handed a pair of treats to the two as the mercenaries and the dogs piled back in the SUVs.

The Lord made eye contact with the village head and screamed, “Keep the product under better control or next time, I’ll sic my dogs onto you.”

The village head gulped as the SUVs drove off, carrying the remaining opium, two dogs with stomachs filled with human flesh, and one very irritated Parthian lord back to his palace for more of the same.
Last edited by The Parthians on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as you approach Parthia's prisons..."What's that buzzing noise, a factory?"
"No, that's all the carrion flies near the prison."
-New Edom

Because profit is more important than morality, obviously.

Greater Cyrodiil
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Cyrodiil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm

[ Fantasy ]

[ Mature ]

The Great Upheaval - Part One: The Capital Siege

The Fifth Year of the Fourth Era
The Year of Kynareth

Other worlds would akin her to Rome, a great empire of men that stretched countless miles and ministered the fate of millions. Like that analog; she was dying. The Great Cyrodiilic Empire as put down by Talos of Atmora, Tiber Septim; was dying. The size of its claims ebbing and flowing with the countless tides, the continent of Tamriel was splintering again, the times before long forgotten. The Septims were all dead, the Hero-Empress was a capable and cunning leader to say the least; but the turmoil of the Oblivion Crisis' aftermath was finally showing its face. The Imperial Legion was decimated to the core, a great amount of fighting had taken place putting Mehrune's Dagon and his forces back where they belonged, too many forces. Nearly two thousand men had died, countless other hundreds of civilians, to some civilizations this would not be a problem, but to the Empire; it was the core of their military, veteran soldiers that had seen dozens of campaigns were slain in battle; and others from wounds and disease that festered in the aftermath. The metaphorical ash of the power vacuum that fell from the sky, mostly. Empress Abigail did her utmost to secure the safety and prosperity of the Empire and what remained of it; she did. Now she looked out from the top of White-Gold Tower where she knew once, just a short time ago, not a year had passed; Emperor Uriel Septim looked out and down, holding an amulet that looked similar to the mere jewelry around her own neck now. Her amulet was a trinket from a housewife in Bruma that she had...relations with; a coldhearted woman named Arnora who'd proven if nothing else to be physically warm. The bright red jewel resembled to some extent the Amulet of Kings and shone with a magical enchantment, indeed she'd placed it in the ruby herself; the magic interwoven to its deepest level of physical existence, yet it paled in comparison to the thing that it stood in rembrance of.

Across the cracked and formerly wondrous bridge that connected the Imperial City to the mainland of Cyrodiil stood an army, and it owed no allegiance to herself. A self-proclaimed Emperor stood there with his thousand men, where he got them she had no idea; Titus Mede annoyed her with his continued existence, her status as Empress did not remove her personality; she was in the end a woman of action and conviction; even among Breton Blue-Blooded Nobles; and this waiting irritated her, and thus its cause annoyed her. She shifted the staff in her right hand idly; it was no imperial regalia; this thing that reached up from the depths to exist, the human skull that sat upon it was fully developed; a claw of bone settling around it; the only remaining testimony to Mannimarco; the so called Immortal; Necromancer Lord of Nirn, a title she now held along with many, many others. The magics in the staff were more ancient than she cared to admit, yet her natural abilities allowed some marginal, if not intermediate control over them. At her waist hung the golden visage of the twisting trendils of Azura's Star; Mehrune's Razor sheathed at her belt's opposite side alongside a finely crafted and heavily enchanted, thanks to herself, Akaviri Katana. The Heroine of Kvatch, the Archmage of the Mage's Guild; The Necromancer Lord of Nirn, The Second Divine Crusader; No, beyond that. The Duchess of Dementia, The Daedric Prince of Madness. This annoying pissant outside of her gates threatened the Empire of a God.

And yet for all her titular claims and status as a Daedric Prince; Abigail was as forced as any other on this side of the demolished bridge that once stood between the city and the world to wait out the storm. Archers lined the positions of the Imperial City's walls, those who remained; a militia levied from those citizens who were willing to kill for their home as well as die for it. The Empress oversaw and looked down literally at all of this before she turned to the things she wasn't used to; attendants. In the following minutes, the ancient Akaviri armor of the Blades was fastened, buckled, strapped and slipped over her, tied into place and locked together in a never ending riverlet of scaled-chain flaps and plates. The heavy armor was a welcome feel for the short Breton noble; though she forewent the helmet so as to not mar her vain perception of her perfectly combed, long black hair. The Empress descended from White-Gold Tower, offering friendly gestures of reinforcement to the Legionaries around her; not as a superior; but as someone who'd fought in the trenches of the war with them. She drew her best friend into an embrace, ironic really that he'd broken her out of prison along with the Emperor. "We have to stop meeting like this, Baurus." She laughed, the mirth rare these days as the Imperial City strangled from it's siege.

"I like meeting like this." The Redguard Knight-Brother of the Blades responded; he looked good consider he'd lost both of his sovereigns in a short order, and the only one who remained after the rest of the order, Jaffure included having retreated to Cloud Ruler Temple and fortified circa permanently awaiting the next Dragonborn Septim; that thought in and of itself made her smile; the growing lifeforce within herself what the Blades so anxiously awaited; she was lucky for now that her stomach wasn't impeding the loose, yet tightly fitting armor she wore. "I'm fairly certain I was the last one in, they've got less than a thousand but well over eight hundred out there; and an effective chokehold on the land corridor of supply to the city." Baurus spoke quickly as they moved through the Green Emperor Way, the circle was still scarred from the Oblivion Crisis; Cyrodiil still reeling from the event that shook the Empire to its core; this being made obvious by the army that stood outside of the Imperial City. "Reinforcements from Kvatch, Anvil and Bravil are mustering but won't be battle ready for some time. Our metaphorical line will have to hold."

"We've provisions and stores to last a long time, the waters of the Rumare for permanent stock in aqua." Abigail muttered off in countenance to her friend as they arrived in the Temple District; the decimated Temple of the One still as roofless and there was Martin's Monument to Greatness; right there...Tears welled in her eyes at the very thought. "We can hold until they arrive." Her voice didn't break unlike last time she was looking at the statue; she didn't break down anymore, while most people praised; she mourned. "Our manpower is stretched thin, the Oblivion Crisis has left us short of arms; what is our total count?"

"Two hundred men at arms currently; not counting for militia who are another one hundred fifty strong." Baurus responded; she really appreciated that he was an educated knight at times like this. "We have fifty thousand arrows; a thousand long bows and a stock of plate and chain armor in the Imperial Armory; the Arcane University's Battlemages are also on standby, no doubt thanks to you; and the mages have agreed to lend assistance as well."

"Being Archmage has it's perks, I guess." Abigail said simply as they climbed to the top of the walls overlooking Lake Rumare. Across from them she could see more clearly now the settings up of a camp, siege engines were not yet present but she didn't rule them out. "What a beginning to a new era, eh, Baurus?"

"I'm glad I have you at my back." The Blade-Knight smiled at the old saying between the two of them, the Empress nodding in agreement as well.

"I'm glad to have you at mine."
It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to one's enemies, and a great deal more to stand up to one's friends.

It is currently 4E 205, it has been four years since the Last Dragonborn and the Nerevarine put an end to the First Dragonborn, Miraak and the former alone saved the world entire from the World-Eater, Alduin

This is a Fantasy Nation based extensively on The Elder Scrolls.

Abruzi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abruzi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm

The Host that Howls.

PT.

Stinking sweat was all that reminded him he was alive. The horse beneath him had long since passed into a being so familiar that it stalked his dreams, plodding along as it was now. This meant that while he could feel and smell the animal, there was no way to know if it was really there, just as his armor and javelin no longer were objects that existed exclusively in the proper plain of existence. To each side slogged his Druzhyna, clad in the battered chain mail he had once took pride in them owning. Their weapons were largely dull, worn by their constant use and neglected on this the last leg of their great journey.

Distant hills on the horizon beckoned to him, reminding him that he was almost home, almost back in the arms of his darling wife. This was the main reason why he forced his horse forward, step after rhythmic step. The mutterings of his Druzhyna went unheard, though that was not to say that the Boyar didn’t detect their resentment. He had forced them to stay in the field for a long time, ten years at least fighting the wars of the Tsar. Ten years spent driving back the barbarian hordes only to have distant Ivan Romanovtich Vykovat' marry with the daughter of the great heathen himself, Israr Mirza.

Battered and bloody, the armies of the Tsar now limped back to their homes. Entire Regiments of men had disbanded at the news, with only the most weary of Knezes and Boyars electing to maintain their Druzhyna. The Boyar had once had over five hundred Voyi marching at his back, enough to win himself the treasure he had been promised by his cousin who lived within sight of the border lands. For this reason he had eagerly left home over ten years ago to fight in a war that was only hardly his. His ancient family was proud, proud enough to join the growing Empire of the Vykovat' only when defeated in combat, they were also greedy however. Betrayed in that very same combat by an ambitious fifth son who had gained the riches that would've been denied by order of birth. The Boyar was greedy just as he was ambitious and while he had for a time been included in the Tsar's tent, been on the cusp of appointment as Okolnichy, he had come away from the conflict with nothing but empty pockets.

Just one more ridge until the Boyar could see his estate. The lands that stretched for over five vrests in every direction belonged to him, and the air seemed to smell sweeter. Trees that would normally just be green pillars on the edges of his strained vision were jolly sentinels welcoming him back home and he was sure he could hear the howl of the dogs. Strangely enough he did not see his serfs laboring, nor his children riding, but the Boyar assumed that perhaps they had seen him and were all awaiting him outside of his handsome manor house. Unlike other members of the nobility, the Boyar was not cruel, he did not enjoy exploiting his serfs as others of his class did, nor did he demand they give him more than his share of their loyalty. He was a just and kind Boyar, at least he had been before the war. Now with his mind strained for so many years with purely martial matters he was not even sure he could remember how to run a household let alone his entire estate.

Pushing the concern from his mind, the Boyar spurred his horse on for the last few steps and finally crested the ridge. The setting sun blinded him for a moment while washing him clean with it's warm and joyous rays. Smiling and blinking the sunlight from his eyes, the Boyar reached up and took off his spiked helm. The curtain of fine mail ran along the back of his neck, and for the minute he was blinded the Boyar remembered that this very helm had saved his life to make this homecoming possible. Finally his vision started to return and with the helm placed fondly upon his saddle he was sure that there was nothing to obscure the first sight of his beloved home.

The Boyar cried out. It was a strained cry that echoed from the once joyous trees that had quickly become dark and foreboding. His pleasant manor house was a burned out ruin. Black beams stared up at the unforgiving sky and his stable had long since collapsed after what appeared to be a fire. His men cried out as soon as they too crested the hill, echoing their leader's anguished shout. Dmitri, the senior Druzhyna to the Boyar pulled his horse alongside the Boyar's animal and quickly asked,

"Vasha vysokaya naslediya , kak vy dumaete nenavistnykh yazychnikov na yuge napravleny diversionnykh grupp etogo vglubʹ Rodina ?"
“Your High Ancestry, do you think the hated heathens of the south sent raiding parties this deep into the Rodina?”

Shaking his head grimly, at a loss for the words the Boyar kicked his horses sides and compelled the animal to carry him into the wreckage below. What was a horrid sight from the ridge line was gut wrenching up close, blackened bones littered the ground and one skeleton was still nailed to a beam in a parody of the Redeemer. Almost throwing himself off of his horse, the Boyar ran to survey the ruins of his home and found what he had most feared, a skeleton in what once was his bed chamber. Brought from the great capital in the west, his wife had spent many hours in their rooms, secluded from a world she insisted was a rough savage thing. The skeleton that now laid broken in the burned out structure was surely hers.

Fluttering above the ruins was a tattered but still recognizable flag, the flag of the Yuzhno Khost. Flapping as it was in the breeze, the silent banner seemed to shout at the Boyar who was still fading in and out of consciousness despite his wounded heart. With tears staining his dust covered cheeks, the noble looked up at the heavens and shouted, a long low shout that echoed from the distant hills. Dmitri stood over his Boyar and offered a kind hand upon his shoulder which was quickly shrugged off. Out of concern he quickly asked,

"Boyarin Markovich Uvech ?"
“Boyar Markovitch Uvech?”

To which the Boyar replied,

«YA brosil na Spasitelya. On pozvolil moĭ dom budet ogrableniyu , kak ya borotʹsya za tsarya. Markovich YA ne dolʹshe, no Marchosias kak demona, kotoryĭ byl vveden v zabluzhdenie . Podobno yemu ya nadyeyalsya vernutʹsya , chtoby bytʹ sredi angelov , no, kak ya yego predali."
“I have been cast down by the Redeemer. He has allowed my home to be despoiled even as I fight for his Czar. Markovitch I am no longer, but Marchosias as the Daemon who was deceived. Like him I hoped to return to be among the angels, but like him I have been betrayed.”

Dmitri did not know what to say in response so he slowly said,

“Nikolay...”

Only for the Boyar to angrily interrupt him with,

“Marchosias.”

Seeing that his lord was set on having this new, dark name. Dmitri continued,

" Marchosias . Zhdem Vashi zakazy vysokoĭ naslediya v . "
“Marchosias. We await Your High Ancestry’s orders.”

Shaking his head, Marchosias replied,

" Chto vy ozhidaete ot menya Dmitriĭ ? Gde my mozhem idti? "
“What do you expect from me Dmitri? Where can we go?”

Shaking his head, Dmitri replied,

«Vy ne yedinstvennyĭ, kto poteryaet vse. Moya semʹya , moĭ dom , moya zhiznʹ tozhe byla razrushena. Vy nastaivaete na prinyatii novogo nazvaniya , chtoby otrazitʹ vashi stradaniya , tak chto ya tozhe budu prinimatʹnovoe nazvanie. Boruta , kak demon v sosnovykh derevʹev."
“You are not the only one to lose everything. My family, my home, my life, too was destroyed. You insist on taking a new name to reflect your anguish, so I too will take a new title. Boruta, like the Daemon in the pine trees.”

Smiling weakly, Marchosias finally said,

"YA polagayu, my poĭdem delatʹtolʹko , chto my znaem , f. Bezimushchestva, bez semʹi, bez imeni, naemnik rabota, veroyatno, sredi luchshikh veshchyeĭ, kotorye my mogli popastʹ."
“I suppose we go to do the only thing we know, fight. Without an estate, without a family, without a name, mercenary work is probably among the better things we could fall into.”

Warfare was eternal and as the ages passed the memory of Marchosias, Boruta, and their Howling Host never died. Mothers whispered tales of their brutality to their babes, fathers muttered stories of their savagery in taverns, and soldiers marveled at their sagas in watchposts across the Abruzian Empire. With the rise of Communism then Novaya Bolshevism, the Howling Host was one of the very few ancient tales to remain in the public's mind until finally the Rectification came. Nuclear fire burned across the surface of the Union and for a time Marchosias was lost.

With the Reorganization and the weakening of the barrier between the Noosphere and the physical realm the tales of the Howling Host were reborn. Entering back into the minds of the populace, Marchosias made the leap from legend to reality once more. Crafted anew in the fires of the realm of human thought, the Howling Host rode forth again though only in the ashen wastes of the Dead Zone.

It took another century and the start of the endless battle for Marchosias to gain enough strength to leave these blighted regions and burn his way across the Novaya Bolshevist Union once more, now liberated he returned to his ancient question. Hungers born over the course of centuries burned within him and the newly powerful call of the Gospodar Lubanja propelled him, clothed as he was in the embrace of Father Death and Mother Warfare, nothing would stop as this ancient Boyar wandered from battle to battle.

He like all the other Daemons that roamed Abruzi had only one purpose, to kill in the name of the deities that gazed upon this most broken of lands. Be they gathering skulls for the Lubanja, establishing order for DMITRI, killing in the name of Father Death, or fighting for the sake of Mother Warfare, they all labored in the only field that held any worth within the Union, violence.
Last edited by Abruzi on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forward for the #Sanc!
SSO For Mod

Channel on the Esper Net
Fun times are had there

Kybrutirat

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents