NATION

PASSWORD

Short Story Contest

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Jeniva wrote:I wasn't sure if I could just jump in, but hopefully no harm done if I wasn't supposed to. Regardless, here is my story. Hopefully you enjoy it.

-- Jeniva

Rope Swing

The dead man’s facial expression isn’t calm, it isn’t peaceful, it isn’t at rest. He looks like he died angry. He has frown lines, even his eyebrows seem scrunched. How bad must his expression have been that the funeral director couldn’t get it a little happier? I smile a little at the guy. He always used to be able to fake a smile. Strange that it didn’t carry over once he died.

“God, Al,” I whisper to him. I use a nice, soft voice so that anyone who hears me thinks I’m grieving. “Could you make your guilt a bit more obvious?”

I rise to my feet and walk away from the casket, avoiding eye contact with all the hicks standing everywhere. Christ, one guy is wearing jeans and muddy boots. And they wonder why I left this shit hole.

Still, I can’t help but hear their whispers as I walk by.

“Jay? That’s Jay? Like… Martin’s daughter, Jay? Ain’t seen her in years.”

I make my way to the back table where all the flowers are placed. I can’t help but feel out of place. I knew I shouldn’t have brought the Gucci purse. I don’t want to grieve his death, I don’t want to look at any pictures, and I certainly don’t want to talk to his trashy, beloved friends and family.

“Janet Madigan, is that you?” I cringe a little, then turn to face a tiny old woman. I realize, with some surprise, that she was my high school English teacher.

“Mrs. Fernad,” I say in my best attempt at a pleasant voice. “It’s been so long.”

“It has, it has! You graduated… what? Fourteen years ago?”

“I believe so, yeah. I’m surprised you remember.” Hell, I didn’t even know that. The small town mentality must be great for remembering pointless shit no one in the real world would care about for more than a week.

“Oh, I could never forget you and your friends,” she says. I feel like I was just doused in ice water. I look at the nearest flower arrangement and try to focus very hard on the patterns in the leaves. “Always such trouble makers, you five. It’s a pity things happened like they did, with Peter and all. Such a tragedy.”

“Mrs. Fernad!” comes a smooth, familiar voice. I reach my hand out to touch the leaves of the arrangement, maybe if I look busy he won’t bother me, won’t even notice me. “Did you see Sarah Biggins? She came in all the way from Iowa, you should go see her.”

I hear Mrs. Fernad shuffle off with a faint goodbye, I hear him take a step closer to me. I see his tall shadow fall over the table, I can smell his cigarette scent.

“Starting to seem like I only see you at funerals, Jay,” he says. He touches my arm, I pull away and face him. He’s as handsome as ever. His jaw is stronger than the rest of the town’s people’s. His hair is well kempt for a citizen of Rockcreek, Indiana. There was always a sort of dark charm in his face, especially in his dark eyes.

“There’s not much life worth celebrating in Rockcreek,” I say. I don’t even try to hide the loathing in my voice. He smirks.

“More life to celebrate out in New York, hmm?” He leans closer to me. “How’s the big company?”

“Excellent.”

“Bullshit, excellent. Look at you, Jay. Starting to look like one of them government bitches. What happened to the good old days, hmm? When you used to be one of the boys to everyone ‘cept me.”

“I got an education,” I say. “And I don’t mean the college.”

He leans back, his confident physique only slightly falters.

“Do you think Pete’s parents will be here, Shane?” I ask, narrowing my eyes. “There’s something I’ve wanted to tell them for some time now.”

“You—We swore, all of us, swore to take that to the grave.”

“Most of us are already there. Two left out of the five. Funny, how we’re all dying young. I’d probably quit smoking if I were you, you might be next.”

“Yeah? You dare utter one word to them, one word to anyone, and I promise you it ain’t gonna be me next.”

“Oh, are we back to threatening?” I say. I look around at all the idiotic grievers. None of them seem to be paying any attention to Shane and I. Will anyone notice if he hits me?

“I don’t need to threaten you,” he says. “You already know. Hell, even if I don’t get to you, your whole life—all that New York shit with your fashionable clothes and white collar job, that’s all gone. You’ll be in prison with the whores and addicts for the rest of your life.”

He puts his hands in his pockets and looks at me with his most wicked grin. After so many years, I've learned there's only one thing I can do against that smile, so I turn from him and walk away. I feel overwhelming nausea. I make my way clumsily to the women’s restroom, as I pull the door open, I see her.

She looks so much older than the first funeral I saw her at, but she looks just as sad. She walks out of the bathroom and though I try to avoid her eyes, I still catch a glimpse. They have the same light blue color as Pete’s eyes, but they have none of the life he had. I swear she looks more like a corpse than the actual corpse in the next room over. I've seen her at every funeral I've attended in this town, but I've never gotten used to my reaction to seeing her.

As I pass her I nearly fall over, only catching myself on a dirty sink. I stumble into a stall, fall to my knees, and vomit longer than I care to know.

Shane’s truck bounced up and down on the dirt road. The windows were all rolled down, but it didn’t stop us all from sweating like pigs. I sat in the passenger seat while Shane drove. Al and Jim were sitting in the back seat, Al was trying to light up a joint.

“Shit, is this broken?” Al asked as the wind extinguished yet another flame. Jim had given up a few minutes ago, deciding that a beer would suffice. Shane held his beer bottle between his legs as we pulled into Pete’s gravel driveway. Pete had the nicest house of any of us. Al and Jim both lived in the trailer park, Shane and I both lived in little run-down shacks of houses near the ravine. Pete’s house was a farm house though. It had a nice green lawn, unpeeling paint, and a few horses fenced in the back.

“He knows we coming, right?” Jim asked.

“Yep, but you know Pete,” Shane said. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “His parents are real asses. We just got to give him a little time.”

“Fuck that,” I said. I reached my arm out and, before Shane could stop me, I punched the horn.

“God damn, Jay,” Shane laughed. “We don’t want little Petey to get in any trouble.”

The guys in the back chuckled a bit. I looked up at Pete’s house in enough time to see him open his front door and wave back at his parents. He jogged up to the truck, I opened my door for him, and he climbed into the back seat.

“What’d you tell them this time?” asked Al.

“What? Oh, that I’m going to a bible study with Frank Biggins.”

“Pathetic,” Shane laughed.

“You seen his little sister? Frank’s? Fuck, that girl’s been developing. I mean, still young, but damn,” Al said.

Shane pulled out of the driveway, Jim offered Pete a beer. We drove around the town as usual, with nothing to do and nowhere to go, until finally Jim spoke up.

“We ain’t been to the ledges lately. Want to stop by there? Hot as hell in this truck.”

“Sure,” Shane said. “Haven’t been to the ledges in awhile.”

The ledges were some rock formation, like someone had reached down and took a chunk of earth from the ground, leaving big cliffs all around a small patch of woods. We’d learned about them in school, but my report card was enough to let anyone know I hadn’t listened to much anyone said in school. They were in the middle of the woods, but you could park off Quinn road and take a trail to them, which is what we did.

We walked along the trail, bored as always. Al had finally light his joint and was sharing it, but I didn’t take it. I was always experimenting back then with trying to get a better high, and I found that the less often I smoked, the better it was when I did. Instead I just stuck a cigarette in my mouth.

“Fuck!” Shane said after a few minutes and a couple hits of the joint. He stopped walking, so we all stopped too. “Look at us. We’re sheep, all of us. Here we are at the finest natural beauty Rockcreek has to offer, and we’re just going to walk on this path laid out for us? We ain’t gonna explore?”

“Path’s safer,” Pete mumbled, but as always, we ignored his momma’s boy bullshit.

“Come on, let’s walk closer to the edge. Live life on the edge. Huh? We don’t need none of this path bullshit.”

This was a phenomenal idea and we all agreed. I put my hand on Shane’s shoulder to congratulate him on his pure genius. He was always the smartest. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in for a quick kiss, and then we were off of the path, kicking our way through dead leaves and past thorns and branches that snagged on our already torn clothes.

It was beautiful, more beautiful than it could ever be on the path. We weren’t dumb, we knew to stay a few feet from the edge, but we were still close enough to see the whole area under the cliff, and to see the whole surrounding area.

“What’s that?” Jim asked. I looked over and knew exactly what he meant. My dad’s house had one just like it.

“That,” I said. “Is the most beautiful rope swing I’ve ever seen.”

It was tied to one of the biggest trees, some distance away. It dangled just a few feet from the edge of the cliff, so that if someone got enough motion, they’d swing over the edge and feel like they were flying. We agreed immediately that we should go on it, so we made our way to it.

“Think it’s safe?” Jim asked. He reached out and touched the rope, which looked old and slightly frayed. Then again, rope gets a little frayed very fast and still lasts forever.

“Only one way to tell,” Shane said. “Now, who wants to take the rest run?”

No one volunteered.

“Come on now,” Shane said. “We’ll just give it a few swings, nothing big enough to get over the edge, not until we know it’s safe.”

Still, no one spoke up.

“Well, then,” Shane said. “Who’s the smallest?”

Naturally, everyone looked at me.

“Fine,” I said. “If none of you can be man enough, I will.”

I walked up to the swing, put my foot into the loop at the bottom, and hopped back a few feet, then let go and swung there, back and forward over a few feet. Shane came up behind me and pushed me a little, so that I came very near to the edge, but didn’t go over. After a few moments, I reached a foot down to stop myself from swinging.

“Works fine,” I said. “Who now?”

“Pete’s the next smallest,” Al said. “We should break it in, you know? Just in case.”

We all agreed that this was a good idea. Pete walked up to the swing, he put his hand around the rope first. He tugged a little on it, obviously more hesitant than I had been.

“Come on, Pete!” Al laughed. “Jay’s a girl and has bigger balls than you.”

Normally I would punch someone in the face for saying me being a girl had anything to do with my personality, but I was too busy watching Pete reluctantly put his foot into the loop. He hopped back a few feet, let go, and swung forward a few feet.

“Come on,” Shane laughed. “You can do better.”

“Give him a push, Jim!” I said. Jim, being the strongest of any of us, walked forward. Pete looked like he was going to jump off, but Jim was already there, already pulling Pete back so he would swing forward.

Jim let go, Pete flew forward—over the edge, then safely came back.

“All right!” Shane said, clapping his hands together. “Not so bad, huh, Pete?”

Jim caught the rope again, holding Pete high in the air.

“Let me off,” Pete said.

“What? No, we have to get the fear out of you. Let him go, Jim.”

Jim let go of the swing, it swung forward again, over the cliff again. Pete was whimpering, yelling, but all any of us did was laugh.

Then Al was next to Jim, he was pushing Pete after Jim was letting him go, Pete was flying far over the edge of the cliff. His face, as he came back, was white and all screwed up like he was terrified.

“Let me go! Let me go!” he was saying, but Jim and Al were having their fun. I jerked my head in their direction and strode forward, Shane followed me. Shane helped Jim pull the rope backwards, I helped Al push, Pete was screaming, we were laughing, and then I heard the sound everyone growing up in a farm town knows, the long snap of a breaking rope, just as it had started coming back over the cliff.

I watched it as if I were high too, so high that everything was moving in slow motion. I watched as Pete sank down while the rope was giving way, I could see the desperation in his eyes, the hope that the last strand of rope would hold through long enough for him to come back to the edge, but it didn’t. I ran forward with the other boys, ran to the edge, as I was running I heard the thud that must have been Pete hitting the cliff, and I heard the crack as he hit the floor. By the time I reached the edge, Pete’s broken body already lay some forty feet below, sprawled out but in such a strange angle that I knew he must be dead if he wasn’t screaming. The entire length of the rope lay at the bottom with him-- It had broken where it’d been tied to the tree.

Then everything sped up, like time was trying to compensate for the slow motion. We were at the bottom of the ledges, we were carrying Pete up, we were tossing him in the back of the truck. Shane was screaming at us to go home, he would take care of things. I was screaming at him about a proper burial, I was crying. Then I was studying, doing homework to try and forget his face, then I was graduating, and then I was driving away and promising myself I’d never go back unless someone died.

I lean back against the cool metal stall door. I’m not sure if I’m so dizzy from vomiting or from the memories. I take a second to breathe. I’ve never really thought about any of this, not in such detail. Not without distracting myself.

Fourteen years ago. I’m only thirty one, and no one was much older than me. Jim committed suicide two years later. And now Al has died in some freak case of food poisoning. If I die before Shane, no one will ever know. Pete’s mother will never know where her son went. She’ll never know if he ran away, if he was kidnapped, if he was killed, killed himself, or just died. Another wave of nausea sweeps over me when I think about those dead, blue eyes of hers. I sway as I get up, I have to use the stall walls to stand, but I am determined.

I walk back into the room with all the relatives and pictures and flowers, I look for the tiny, old form that’s Pete’s mother. She is next to a board of pictures, touching her hands to one of them. I walk up behind her and look at it.

It’s a picture of us five right before she found out about the drugs and told Pete he couldn’t hang out with us anymore. Jim stands in the back with his arms folded over his chest, Shane looks at me with his arm around my shoulder, but I’m looking away towards Al, probably laughing at some dumb thing he said, because he’s wearing the old giant smile he’d wear when he made us laugh. Pete’s mother’s hand touches Pete, in the photo, not Al. Pete is the only one looking directly in the camera, and he’s smiling because we were all young and life was still beautiful and fun.

“Mam,” I said softly. The old woman turns around and looks at me with her sad eyes. “I’m Janet Madigan. I used to be friends with your son… There’s something I have to tell you.”

The writing style is kind of unexciting, and there's a couple of sentences that need to be smacked by a grammar Nazi, but it's a well constructed story and you pulled off the tragic death thing much more convincingly than Theseonia.
Following new legislation in The Weimar Republic, the streets are ravaged by murder and violence to prove political points.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:39 pm

TWR, where's your critique of my story? :p
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Can I submit something I wrote a few years ago?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Zwangzug wrote:Can I submit something I wrote a few years ago?

Sure.

(Norstal is going to kill me :p )
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Zeth Rekia wrote:
The Weimar Republic wrote:
France made me give them all my booze because I owed them money from the Treaty of Versailles.

This is no excuse.

By the way, where is your story?

The thread caught my attention on Monday night, I started writing Tuesday night, and then realized on Wednesday night that I wouldn't finish in time. So I'm playing critic instead.
Following new legislation in The Weimar Republic, the streets are ravaged by murder and violence to prove political points.

Toronina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Toronina » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm

A long time ago something happend

The End :lol:
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Okay. Decidedly under the word limit. Subject matter not too surprising if you know me. But there's an extra twist (again, if you know me, maybe not too surprising either)...

Beginning Isn’t Everything

Springfield's in the middle of nowhere, so we’ve got time for quick rounds of chess on the long ride. I set up my pocket set, putting it next to me. Mr. Thomson drives our tiny bus-we don’t even fill up the six rows. Few kids join chess competitions; our school is no exception. But he needs to pick our five best kids to go versus Springfield. He'd picked four, which left one spot.

"Seth, let's go." I hold out my set.

He turns. "Go where? We're going to Springfield."

Springfield's not the best in our division, but they're pretty good. We need to win this meet in order to win the division. If Springfield wins, Brookview High will win the whole thing.

I don't know if Seth is joking or just doesn't get it, so I point to the set. "The two of us. Right now. Winner gets the spot."

He seems tired. "Why?"

"Unless you've got some better system?"

"Just think. Or feel, if you know how," he mutters. "Listen, you could go to the tourney. If not now, your sophomore spring. Or junior. Or senior, I don't know. But you've got four shots to go. We both know you're better, between the two of us."

"So if I'm better," (I'm confident of this, otherwise I would've come up with some other suggestion to determine who got the spot,) "why shouldn't I oppose Springfield?"

"You'll get more opportunities! If not now-even if you never go to the tourney-you'll be here three more times."

"Sure, but you've been doing this since you were in ninth like me. You got your opportunities."

"I don't get one more?"

"Try one of Springfield's substitutes. It just won't count for our school."

"Substitutes." He looks out the window: the sun is shining brightly, too brightly to see without squinting. "I used to be the freshie who lost every time, you're right. You don't know how it feels, you're too good. I did my best. I still lost. I figured I'd wind up here, winning more often…Well, I did. This is it."

"You don't sound like you enjoy it."

"I didn't expect it to be like this. For one thing, there were no pressures then. We weren't good enough to fight for the division title."

"So who's joined since then? Who got us here?"

"The whole group helped. Look, I know the kids in the first four spots. They've been here before. I'd be fine letting them go. But you're...I don't know, fourteen?"

"Fifteen," I retort. (I will be in December. Close enough.) "So is Jon, right?" Mr. Thomson chose Jon, our best sophomore, for one of our first four positions.

"I don't know."

"Jon?" I holler.

"Uh-huh?" he yells from the front of the bus. "Oh. Fifteen, yep."

"Cool." I focus on Seth. "So why him? Why not me?"

"He's got experience. You'll get it in the future."

"Not if I don't see decent opponents."

"You've been in the top five every meet. You've got some experience."

"Then why shouldn't I get to-"

"We've got more!" he interrupts.

"Keep it down, guys," Mr. Thomson doesn't turn. He's looking out the windshield: trucks drive by, SUVs move on slowly, little hybrids go with the flow.

"You were telling me you've never been under this kind of pressure? Not going for the title?"

"Right."

"So you're used to not giving much effort."

"No I'm not! I try my best every meet."

"But you won't try right here?" I drum my fingers on the set. "You're right. You've got more experience. But I'm not used to being out of the fight. Every meet I've been in, we've been eligible to win the whole thing."

"Your point being?"

"I'm used to this much being on the line. You told me I'm the better of the two of us. Shouldn't we use the best five kids to try winning the thing?"

"It's not my choice, it's Thomson's job."

"Well, Thomson told us we're big enough to choose for ourselves." The first four kids were his choice, but I figure he couldn't bring himself to choose the fifth member, so left it up to us.

"If we don't decide by the time we get there, he'll choose."

"You two know the whole bus is listening, right?" Mr. Thomson himself chimes in.

"Why did you do this?" Seth yells. He's not loud very often, so it's weird to listen to him. "Why couldn't you pick?"

"I'd like everybody to come to consensus. I let you discuss the other four."

"I didn't get to pick the other four," I protest.

"Oh, you did," Mr. Thomson smiles. "You weren't listening when I told you."

I fume. "Seth, were you?"

He nods. "I didn't feel it would be right to pick myself. The other kids couldn't decide."

"If you didn't feel it would be right to-"

"Without letting you give input," he cuts in. "I thought you'd see my point."

"Thinking isn't your thing, is it?" I know it's insulting, but it's not been like he's so nice to me.

"Would I be in chess club otherwise?"

"If you're so good, prove it." I give him the set. "We'll finish before we get there if we're quick."

He sighs, moving one of the pieces.

I mirror his first move, following common openings. His response is still common, something we've both memorized, but I stop the symmetry by moving one of my knights defensively. By the fifth move or so, the position is no longer something I've seen before, in books or in meets. But I don't need to recognize it to win. Every move is something new, something fresh.

We fight on. Seth is more protective of his pieces; I prefer offensive moves. Sometimes I urge him to hurry up, knowing we'll be in Springfield soon. Slowly, he brings his pieces into position. He never seems to look down, preferring to think while he looks out the window or somewhere else in the bus. I twiddle my fingers, edgily.

He surprises me with his rooks when we cross the city border. If he goes there, I'm done; there, it's over, somewhere else, this is hopeless. "You win," I whisper, unwilling to see the conclusion I know must come.

He nods. "Good job. You did well."

There's nothing for me to do in the meet, then, except follow our school's progress. Jon loses, but two of the other three kids we chose first win. The score is tied, two for us, two for them, with just Seth left to finish.

We crowd in on his desk. Mr. Thomson is on his cell phone with Brookview, who will win the division if Seth loses.

"How's it going?" We're not permitted to tell Seth very much when he's competing-no giving him moves-but the score is one thing the rules do let him know.

"It's tied," we inform him.

He's got sixty minutes to use for thinking: when it's his move, his clock counts them down. Time goes on with him just sitting there. With five minutes left, he no longer needs to write down his moves. I do it for him-it's something to do. b3…Qh4+…Kf1…

His time runs out. We've lost the division.

"I couldn't focus," he confesses on the long bus ride home. "My mind couldn't think. I’m just too tired."

This story does not use the letter A.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Toronina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Toronina » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Zwangzug wrote:Okay. Decidedly under the word limit. Subject matter not too surprising if you know me. But there's an extra twist (again, if you know me, maybe not too surprising either)...

Beginning Isn’t Everything

Springfield's in the middle of nowhere, so we’ve got time for quick rounds of chess on the long ride. I set up my pocket set, putting it next to me. Mr. Thomson drives our tiny bus-we don’t even fill up the six rows. Few kids join chess competitions; our school is no exception. But he needs to pick our five best kids to go versus Springfield. He'd picked four, which left one spot.

"Seth, let's go." I hold out my set.

He turns. "Go where? We're going to Springfield."

Springfield's not the best in our division, but they're pretty good. We need to win this meet in order to win the division. If Springfield wins, Brookview High will win the whole thing.

I don't know if Seth is joking or just doesn't get it, so I point to the set. "The two of us. Right now. Winner gets the spot."

He seems tired. "Why?"

"Unless you've got some better system?"

"Just think. Or feel, if you know how," he mutters. "Listen, you could go to the tourney. If not now, your sophomore spring. Or junior. Or senior, I don't know. But you've got four shots to go. We both know you're better, between the two of us."

"So if I'm better," (I'm confident of this, otherwise I would've come up with some other suggestion to determine who got the spot,) "why shouldn't I oppose Springfield?"

"You'll get more opportunities! If not now-even if you never go to the tourney-you'll be here three more times."

"Sure, but you've been doing this since you were in ninth like me. You got your opportunities."

"I don't get one more?"

"Try one of Springfield's substitutes. It just won't count for our school."

"Substitutes." He looks out the window: the sun is shining brightly, too brightly to see without squinting. "I used to be the freshie who lost every time, you're right. You don't know how it feels, you're too good. I did my best. I still lost. I figured I'd wind up here, winning more often…Well, I did. This is it."

"You don't sound like you enjoy it."

"I didn't expect it to be like this. For one thing, there were no pressures then. We weren't good enough to fight for the division title."

"So who's joined since then? Who got us here?"

"The whole group helped. Look, I know the kids in the first four spots. They've been here before. I'd be fine letting them go. But you're...I don't know, fourteen?"

"Fifteen," I retort. (I will be in December. Close enough.) "So is Jon, right?" Mr. Thomson chose Jon, our best sophomore, for one of our first four positions.

"I don't know."

"Jon?" I holler.

"Uh-huh?" he yells from the front of the bus. "Oh. Fifteen, yep."

"Cool." I focus on Seth. "So why him? Why not me?"

"He's got experience. You'll get it in the future."

"Not if I don't see decent opponents."

"You've been in the top five every meet. You've got some experience."

"Then why shouldn't I get to-"

"We've got more!" he interrupts.

"Keep it down, guys," Mr. Thomson doesn't turn. He's looking out the windshield: trucks drive by, SUVs move on slowly, little hybrids go with the flow.

"You were telling me you've never been under this kind of pressure? Not going for the title?"

"Right."

"So you're used to not giving much effort."

"No I'm not! I try my best every meet."

"But you won't try right here?" I drum my fingers on the set. "You're right. You've got more experience. But I'm not used to being out of the fight. Every meet I've been in, we've been eligible to win the whole thing."

"Your point being?"

"I'm used to this much being on the line. You told me I'm the better of the two of us. Shouldn't we use the best five kids to try winning the thing?"

"It's not my choice, it's Thomson's job."

"Well, Thomson told us we're big enough to choose for ourselves." The first four kids were his choice, but I figure he couldn't bring himself to choose the fifth member, so left it up to us.

"If we don't decide by the time we get there, he'll choose."

"You two know the whole bus is listening, right?" Mr. Thomson himself chimes in.

"Why did you do this?" Seth yells. He's not loud very often, so it's weird to listen to him. "Why couldn't you pick?"

"I'd like everybody to come to consensus. I let you discuss the other four."

"I didn't get to pick the other four," I protest.

"Oh, you did," Mr. Thomson smiles. "You weren't listening when I told you."

I fume. "Seth, were you?"

He nods. "I didn't feel it would be right to pick myself. The other kids couldn't decide."

"If you didn't feel it would be right to-"

"Without letting you give input," he cuts in. "I thought you'd see my point."

"Thinking isn't your thing, is it?" I know it's insulting, but it's not been like he's so nice to me.

"Would I be in chess club otherwise?"

"If you're so good, prove it." I give him the set. "We'll finish before we get there if we're quick."

He sighs, moving one of the pieces.

I mirror his first move, following common openings. His response is still common, something we've both memorized, but I stop the symmetry by moving one of my knights defensively. By the fifth move or so, the position is no longer something I've seen before, in books or in meets. But I don't need to recognize it to win. Every move is something new, something fresh.

We fight on. Seth is more protective of his pieces; I prefer offensive moves. Sometimes I urge him to hurry up, knowing we'll be in Springfield soon. Slowly, he brings his pieces into position. He never seems to look down, preferring to think while he looks out the window or somewhere else in the bus. I twiddle my fingers, edgily.

He surprises me with his rooks when we cross the city border. If he goes there, I'm done; there, it's over, somewhere else, this is hopeless. "You win," I whisper, unwilling to see the conclusion I know must come.

He nods. "Good job. You did well."

There's nothing for me to do in the meet, then, except follow our school's progress. Jon loses, but two of the other three kids we chose first win. The score is tied, two for us, two for them, with just Seth left to finish.

We crowd in on his desk. Mr. Thomson is on his cell phone with Brookview, who will win the division if Seth loses.

"How's it going?" We're not permitted to tell Seth very much when he's competing-no giving him moves-but the score is one thing the rules do let him know.

"It's tied," we inform him.

He's got sixty minutes to use for thinking: when it's his move, his clock counts them down. Time goes on with him just sitting there. With five minutes left, he no longer needs to write down his moves. I do it for him-it's something to do. b3…Qh4+…Kf1…

His time runs out. We've lost the division.

"I couldn't focus," he confesses on the long bus ride home. "My mind couldn't think. I’m just too tired."

This story does not use the letter A.

Not one a. You sir have won an internet. Also one does not write short stories into Mordor
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:55 pm

So, when all the posts get judged by the official judges, I was thinking of spoilering all the short stories/links and putting this up with them in the OP:

New England and the Maritimes' Judgement:

Characters - /25
Plot - /25
Setting - /15
Creativity - /15
Style - /15
Grammar/spelling - /5

Overall -/100

Summary of Judgement:

Norstal's Judgement:

Characters - /25
Plot - /25
Setting - /15
Creativity - /15
Style - /15
Grammar/spelling - /5

Overall -/100

Summary of Judgement:

Yoite's Judgement:

Characters - /25
Plot - /25
Setting - /15
Creativity - /15
Style - /15
Grammar/spelling - /5

Overall -/100

Summary of Judgement:
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:56 pm

My stories are best read while hammered or high. It helps augment the dream-like style.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 pm

I thought I would share with you all Julio Cortazar's five elements of a short story. Cortazar was a renowned writer, famous for his short stories, among other works. He is pretty much the authority on this. They are:

1. Brevity (I forget the recommended maximum)
2. Tension/suspense
3. Knockout ending
4. Condensed language (making it so the the reader must read in between the lines)
5. Sticks to one major theme

Enjoy.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:TWR, where's your critique of my story? :p

Short & sweet.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:06 pm

The Weimar Republic wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:TWR, where's your critique of my story? :p

Short & sweet.

You did it, don't you? 8)

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 am

New East Ireland wrote:Well, I'm done with my story. Early, but here it is. :)

Laying there on the beach, staring into the sunset, was a wonderful sight. Though that was true, nothing could compare to her. She was amazing, and beautiful, and he felt as though he was the luckiest person in the entire world because she was with him, of anyone else in the whole world. Just thinking about it gave him the feeling that millions of butterflies were inside of his stomach, fluttering and floating around, tickling his insides and forcing himself to giggle uncontrollably. Even now, thinking about her, he giggled. He kept staring at the sun, until he could no longer resist the urge to look at her. He turned his head to the left, and smiled.

Her eyes were bright, and beautiful; even more so than the sunset that was right in front of them. Her eyes seemed like a maze, one that he could become lost in for years, but would never worry about because it was so comforting and welcoming. Her hair blew in the wind, and she looked at him.

"What's wrong?" she asked. He giggled, and smiled, and leaned in, extending his lips until they touched hers. He kissed her as they laid there, for minutes or so. When he finally pulled away, he smiled again. "I'm perfect," he replied. She giggled, and moved closer to him, and wrapped his arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her in response, and smiled. He looked into her wonderful eyes, and leaned in closer, and kissed her. Their lips parted, and their tongues wrapped around each other. They laid there, in the sunset, and on the beach, kissing with their arms wrapped around each other. He felt the warmth of the beach, but it couldn't compare to the warm feeling he had from her. If he had the ability, he would stop time so that that moment would last for all of eternity, and that they would never have to leave or stop. Long into the night, they continued, until the moon was high above their heads, shining down on them. He smiled. "There's something I have to tell you," he whispered quietly. She opened her eyes, and smiled. "What?" she asked.

He leaned in closer, and kissed her again, struggling to find the courage to pull away from her soft lips and speak. He pulled away, which itself proved enough of a challenge, and smiled. "I love you," he whispered. "If I could, I would let the whole world know that I did."

Before she could react, he kissed her again, and blushed furiously, holding her tightly. He had no regret; indeed, he did feel perfect, more than he ever had, and it was all because of her.

Ehm.

Characters - 5/25 Who are they? What is the motivation? What the hell is going on?
Plot - 5/25 Not a story, a scene.
Setting - 5/15 No real idea of where, other than a beach.
Creativity - 5/15 Not that difficult to think up, really.
Style - 10/15 Middle of the road, I guess.
Grammar/spelling - 3/5 A few errors, enough that it's not perfect or extremely close to it.

Overall -33/100

Summary of Judgement: Had you taken some time and extended this to a story, rather than three paragraphs, it'd have compared better. That's about all I have to say for it, really.

Jeniva wrote:I wasn't sure if I could just jump in, but hopefully no harm done if I wasn't supposed to. Regardless, here is my story. Hopefully you enjoy it.

-- Jeniva

Rope Swing

The dead man’s facial expression isn’t calm, it isn’t peaceful, it isn’t at rest. He looks like he died angry. He has frown lines, even his eyebrows seem scrunched. How bad must his expression have been that the funeral director couldn’t get it a little happier? I smile a little at the guy. He always used to be able to fake a smile. Strange that it didn’t carry over once he died.

“God, Al,” I whisper to him. I use a nice, soft voice so that anyone who hears me thinks I’m grieving. “Could you make your guilt a bit more obvious?”

I rise to my feet and walk away from the casket, avoiding eye contact with all the hicks standing everywhere. Christ, one guy is wearing jeans and muddy boots. And they wonder why I left this shit hole.

Still, I can’t help but hear their whispers as I walk by.

“Jay? That’s Jay? Like… Martin’s daughter, Jay? Ain’t seen her in years.”

I make my way to the back table where all the flowers are placed. I can’t help but feel out of place. I knew I shouldn’t have brought the Gucci purse. I don’t want to grieve his death, I don’t want to look at any pictures, and I certainly don’t want to talk to his trashy, beloved friends and family.

“Janet Madigan, is that you?” I cringe a little, then turn to face a tiny old woman. I realize, with some surprise, that she was my high school English teacher.

“Mrs. Fernad,” I say in my best attempt at a pleasant voice. “It’s been so long.”

“It has, it has! You graduated… what? Fourteen years ago?”

“I believe so, yeah. I’m surprised you remember.” Hell, I didn’t even know that. The small town mentality must be great for remembering pointless shit no one in the real world would care about for more than a week.

“Oh, I could never forget you and your friends,” she says. I feel like I was just doused in ice water. I look at the nearest flower arrangement and try to focus very hard on the patterns in the leaves. “Always such trouble makers, you five. It’s a pity things happened like they did, with Peter and all. Such a tragedy.”

“Mrs. Fernad!” comes a smooth, familiar voice. I reach my hand out to touch the leaves of the arrangement, maybe if I look busy he won’t bother me, won’t even notice me. “Did you see Sarah Biggins? She came in all the way from Iowa, you should go see her.”

I hear Mrs. Fernad shuffle off with a faint goodbye, I hear him take a step closer to me. I see his tall shadow fall over the table, I can smell his cigarette scent.

“Starting to seem like I only see you at funerals, Jay,” he says. He touches my arm, I pull away and face him. He’s as handsome as ever. His jaw is stronger than the rest of the town’s people’s. His hair is well kempt for a citizen of Rockcreek, Indiana. There was always a sort of dark charm in his face, especially in his dark eyes.

“There’s not much life worth celebrating in Rockcreek,” I say. I don’t even try to hide the loathing in my voice. He smirks.

“More life to celebrate out in New York, hmm?” He leans closer to me. “How’s the big company?”

“Excellent.”

“Bullshit, excellent. Look at you, Jay. Starting to look like one of them government bitches. What happened to the good old days, hmm? When you used to be one of the boys to everyone ‘cept me.”

“I got an education,” I say. “And I don’t mean the college.”

He leans back, his confident physique only slightly falters.

“Do you think Pete’s parents will be here, Shane?” I ask, narrowing my eyes. “There’s something I’ve wanted to tell them for some time now.”

“You—We swore, all of us, swore to take that to the grave.”

“Most of us are already there. Two left out of the five. Funny, how we’re all dying young. I’d probably quit smoking if I were you, you might be next.”

“Yeah? You dare utter one word to them, one word to anyone, and I promise you it ain’t gonna be me next.”

“Oh, are we back to threatening?” I say. I look around at all the idiotic grievers. None of them seem to be paying any attention to Shane and I. Will anyone notice if he hits me?

“I don’t need to threaten you,” he says. “You already know. Hell, even if I don’t get to you, your whole life—all that New York shit with your fashionable clothes and white collar job, that’s all gone. You’ll be in prison with the whores and addicts for the rest of your life.”

He puts his hands in his pockets and looks at me with his most wicked grin. After so many years, I've learned there's only one thing I can do against that smile, so I turn from him and walk away. I feel overwhelming nausea. I make my way clumsily to the women’s restroom, as I pull the door open, I see her.

She looks so much older than the first funeral I saw her at, but she looks just as sad. She walks out of the bathroom and though I try to avoid her eyes, I still catch a glimpse. They have the same light blue color as Pete’s eyes, but they have none of the life he had. I swear she looks more like a corpse than the actual corpse in the next room over. I've seen her at every funeral I've attended in this town, but I've never gotten used to my reaction to seeing her.

As I pass her I nearly fall over, only catching myself on a dirty sink. I stumble into a stall, fall to my knees, and vomit longer than I care to know.

Shane’s truck bounced up and down on the dirt road. The windows were all rolled down, but it didn’t stop us all from sweating like pigs. I sat in the passenger seat while Shane drove. Al and Jim were sitting in the back seat, Al was trying to light up a joint.

“Shit, is this broken?” Al asked as the wind extinguished yet another flame. Jim had given up a few minutes ago, deciding that a beer would suffice. Shane held his beer bottle between his legs as we pulled into Pete’s gravel driveway. Pete had the nicest house of any of us. Al and Jim both lived in the trailer park, Shane and I both lived in little run-down shacks of houses near the ravine. Pete’s house was a farm house though. It had a nice green lawn, unpeeling paint, and a few horses fenced in the back.

“He knows we coming, right?” Jim asked.

“Yep, but you know Pete,” Shane said. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “His parents are real asses. We just got to give him a little time.”

“Fuck that,” I said. I reached my arm out and, before Shane could stop me, I punched the horn.

“God damn, Jay,” Shane laughed. “We don’t want little Petey to get in any trouble.”

The guys in the back chuckled a bit. I looked up at Pete’s house in enough time to see him open his front door and wave back at his parents. He jogged up to the truck, I opened my door for him, and he climbed into the back seat.

“What’d you tell them this time?” asked Al.

“What? Oh, that I’m going to a bible study with Frank Biggins.”

“Pathetic,” Shane laughed.

“You seen his little sister? Frank’s? Fuck, that girl’s been developing. I mean, still young, but damn,” Al said.

Shane pulled out of the driveway, Jim offered Pete a beer. We drove around the town as usual, with nothing to do and nowhere to go, until finally Jim spoke up.

“We ain’t been to the ledges lately. Want to stop by there? Hot as hell in this truck.”

“Sure,” Shane said. “Haven’t been to the ledges in awhile.”

The ledges were some rock formation, like someone had reached down and took a chunk of earth from the ground, leaving big cliffs all around a small patch of woods. We’d learned about them in school, but my report card was enough to let anyone know I hadn’t listened to much anyone said in school. They were in the middle of the woods, but you could park off Quinn road and take a trail to them, which is what we did.

We walked along the trail, bored as always. Al had finally light his joint and was sharing it, but I didn’t take it. I was always experimenting back then with trying to get a better high, and I found that the less often I smoked, the better it was when I did. Instead I just stuck a cigarette in my mouth.

“Fuck!” Shane said after a few minutes and a couple hits of the joint. He stopped walking, so we all stopped too. “Look at us. We’re sheep, all of us. Here we are at the finest natural beauty Rockcreek has to offer, and we’re just going to walk on this path laid out for us? We ain’t gonna explore?”

“Path’s safer,” Pete mumbled, but as always, we ignored his momma’s boy bullshit.

“Come on, let’s walk closer to the edge. Live life on the edge. Huh? We don’t need none of this path bullshit.”

This was a phenomenal idea and we all agreed. I put my hand on Shane’s shoulder to congratulate him on his pure genius. He was always the smartest. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in for a quick kiss, and then we were off of the path, kicking our way through dead leaves and past thorns and branches that snagged on our already torn clothes.

It was beautiful, more beautiful than it could ever be on the path. We weren’t dumb, we knew to stay a few feet from the edge, but we were still close enough to see the whole area under the cliff, and to see the whole surrounding area.

“What’s that?” Jim asked. I looked over and knew exactly what he meant. My dad’s house had one just like it.

“That,” I said. “Is the most beautiful rope swing I’ve ever seen.”

It was tied to one of the biggest trees, some distance away. It dangled just a few feet from the edge of the cliff, so that if someone got enough motion, they’d swing over the edge and feel like they were flying. We agreed immediately that we should go on it, so we made our way to it.

“Think it’s safe?” Jim asked. He reached out and touched the rope, which looked old and slightly frayed. Then again, rope gets a little frayed very fast and still lasts forever.

“Only one way to tell,” Shane said. “Now, who wants to take the rest run?”

No one volunteered.

“Come on now,” Shane said. “We’ll just give it a few swings, nothing big enough to get over the edge, not until we know it’s safe.”

Still, no one spoke up.

“Well, then,” Shane said. “Who’s the smallest?”

Naturally, everyone looked at me.

“Fine,” I said. “If none of you can be man enough, I will.”

I walked up to the swing, put my foot into the loop at the bottom, and hopped back a few feet, then let go and swung there, back and forward over a few feet. Shane came up behind me and pushed me a little, so that I came very near to the edge, but didn’t go over. After a few moments, I reached a foot down to stop myself from swinging.

“Works fine,” I said. “Who now?”

“Pete’s the next smallest,” Al said. “We should break it in, you know? Just in case.”

We all agreed that this was a good idea. Pete walked up to the swing, he put his hand around the rope first. He tugged a little on it, obviously more hesitant than I had been.

“Come on, Pete!” Al laughed. “Jay’s a girl and has bigger balls than you.”

Normally I would punch someone in the face for saying me being a girl had anything to do with my personality, but I was too busy watching Pete reluctantly put his foot into the loop. He hopped back a few feet, let go, and swung forward a few feet.

“Come on,” Shane laughed. “You can do better.”

“Give him a push, Jim!” I said. Jim, being the strongest of any of us, walked forward. Pete looked like he was going to jump off, but Jim was already there, already pulling Pete back so he would swing forward.

Jim let go, Pete flew forward—over the edge, then safely came back.

“All right!” Shane said, clapping his hands together. “Not so bad, huh, Pete?”

Jim caught the rope again, holding Pete high in the air.

“Let me off,” Pete said.

“What? No, we have to get the fear out of you. Let him go, Jim.”

Jim let go of the swing, it swung forward again, over the cliff again. Pete was whimpering, yelling, but all any of us did was laugh.

Then Al was next to Jim, he was pushing Pete after Jim was letting him go, Pete was flying far over the edge of the cliff. His face, as he came back, was white and all screwed up like he was terrified.

“Let me go! Let me go!” he was saying, but Jim and Al were having their fun. I jerked my head in their direction and strode forward, Shane followed me. Shane helped Jim pull the rope backwards, I helped Al push, Pete was screaming, we were laughing, and then I heard the sound everyone growing up in a farm town knows, the long snap of a breaking rope, just as it had started coming back over the cliff.

I watched it as if I were high too, so high that everything was moving in slow motion. I watched as Pete sank down while the rope was giving way, I could see the desperation in his eyes, the hope that the last strand of rope would hold through long enough for him to come back to the edge, but it didn’t. I ran forward with the other boys, ran to the edge, as I was running I heard the thud that must have been Pete hitting the cliff, and I heard the crack as he hit the floor. By the time I reached the edge, Pete’s broken body already lay some forty feet below, sprawled out but in such a strange angle that I knew he must be dead if he wasn’t screaming. The entire length of the rope lay at the bottom with him-- It had broken where it’d been tied to the tree.

Then everything sped up, like time was trying to compensate for the slow motion. We were at the bottom of the ledges, we were carrying Pete up, we were tossing him in the back of the truck. Shane was screaming at us to go home, he would take care of things. I was screaming at him about a proper burial, I was crying. Then I was studying, doing homework to try and forget his face, then I was graduating, and then I was driving away and promising myself I’d never go back unless someone died.

I lean back against the cool metal stall door. I’m not sure if I’m so dizzy from vomiting or from the memories. I take a second to breathe. I’ve never really thought about any of this, not in such detail. Not without distracting myself.

Fourteen years ago. I’m only thirty one, and no one was much older than me. Jim committed suicide two years later. And now Al has died in some freak case of food poisoning. If I die before Shane, no one will ever know. Pete’s mother will never know where her son went. She’ll never know if he ran away, if he was kidnapped, if he was killed, killed himself, or just died. Another wave of nausea sweeps over me when I think about those dead, blue eyes of hers. I sway as I get up, I have to use the stall walls to stand, but I am determined.

I walk back into the room with all the relatives and pictures and flowers, I look for the tiny, old form that’s Pete’s mother. She is next to a board of pictures, touching her hands to one of them. I walk up behind her and look at it.

It’s a picture of us five right before she found out about the drugs and told Pete he couldn’t hang out with us anymore. Jim stands in the back with his arms folded over his chest, Shane looks at me with his arm around my shoulder, but I’m looking away towards Al, probably laughing at some dumb thing he said, because he’s wearing the old giant smile he’d wear when he made us laugh. Pete’s mother’s hand touches Pete, in the photo, not Al. Pete is the only one looking directly in the camera, and he’s smiling because we were all young and life was still beautiful and fun.

“Mam,” I said softly. The old woman turns around and looks at me with her sad eyes. “I’m Janet Madigan. I used to be friends with your son… There’s something I have to tell you.”

Characters - 15/25 Could have been fleshed out a bit better, but not bad.
Plot - 15/25 A little bit bland, have to say.
Setting - 10/15 Could have been more descriptive, but not bad. I understand basically where this is taking place.
Creativity - 10/15 Not the most original idea, but I don't feel bored by it.
Style - 10/15 Decently written, a few places where some rewriting would have helped it flow better.
Grammar/spelling - 4/5 Not awful, but not perfect.

Overall -64/100

Summary of Judgement: Good effort. Better than a lot of what's been put forward. Could have been fleshed out a bit more, but not bad.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:08 am

New England, are you judging in negatives? Like SomethingAwful? :P
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:27 am

Norstal wrote:New England, are you judging in negatives? Like SomethingAwful? :P

I just copied/pasted the thing. If it bothers you I can edit the dashes out.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:05 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:I just copied/pasted the thing. If it bothers you I can edit the dashes out.

I think it's just the lack of a space in 'overall'.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 pm

What timezone is the deadline based on?
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Astrolinium wrote:What timezone is the deadline based on?

Hawaii?
"What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?" -Jesus Christ

Nation does not necessarily reflect political views.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
INTP/INTJ
Writer, high school student, Democratic Socialist, vaguely agnostic Christian of some sort (maybe), Libertarian.

Foxtropica's NS cousin, Samuraikoku's Sancho Panza
Individuality-ness wrote:You are Alex, NSG's writer and lead procrastinator. *nods* :P

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:22 pm

UTC -5

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

UTC -5

I might as well post the unedited version now, then.

Don't judge this yet.

As I ran down the narrow corridors, my heart raced, my sweaty hands clutched an AK-47 with a butcher’s knife duct taped to the end of it, the musty stench of old rubber from my gas mask filled my nose and mouth. My footsteps were rhythmic and fast, splashing down old black combat boots through old water and onto hard concrete, kicking up grayish-brown grit clouds in the water as each boot stomped through the water. The desolate cracking walls around me seemed to shake as I ran, the light from the headlight on my helmet bouncing around as my footsteps pounded into the murkiness like war drums.
I was here in the tunnels, perhaps even here on Earth, for one purpose: to kill Them. They had infested the cities and They had killed members of what was left of the city. We’d been quarantined by the government, and the Army sent troops in on occasion, but mainly they just dropped food, clean water, and ammunition. It was like mana from God, if God were corrupt and uncaring. In all likelihood, if there was a God, He’d certainly abandoned the city long ago, probably even abandoned the world. The government wasn’t legitimate here. Vigilantes kept law. What soldiers there were got sent down into the tunnels on suicide missions like these. I was on a suicide mission. I was probably going to die. Deep inside the back of my mind, I knew this. That is why I ran.
I ran to escape the crowded, hellish life Upside. Upside was full of violence, poverty, starvation... Here, you at least knew who was bad and who was good.
One of Them splashed out from the shadows in front of me, but I quickly gunned It down. Fangs gleamed as crimson splashed and a body crumpled to the ground, letting out a blood-curdling screech as It went down. I jumped over It and ran away from It’s body, trying to not look back. The glowing red eyes, the gleaming sharp fangs, all were too much. I was almost killed, or so I thought. This was my first encounter with Them on Their grounds. I should have felt like cheering or going back to the surface to announce my first victory. Instead I just ran. Water splashed beneath my boots, and soon it got deeper, up to my knees. I was glad I had a waterproof hazmat suit on; the faded yellow plastic was my only barrier from the icy murkiness, my gun with makeshift bayonet my only protection. I was alone, save for Them. There was no one to help me. Not a single person other than me.
I am Jack’s terrified, pounding heart.
As I ran, I heard splashing behind me. I stopped, and it stopped. I turned around, only to see another one of Them burst out of the darkness, like a bullet out of an executioner’s gun. It was then that I fought bravely, made a clear headed decision, and shot the creature down, and then proceeded to go commando and wipe out every single one of them.
Actually, I lied. It was then that I screamed and ducked, but not before it hit me in the side of my head. My gas mask flew off and my helmet did as well, the light slamming into the water. Luckily I’d waterproofed it, otherwise I’d be dead.
I shot at It as It flew by, shooting wildly in sheer terror and not expecting to live. I wondered if I was still alive. I doubted it. I shot anyway, watched blood spurt out of It as It flew by, Its fangs snarling, Its red eyes wide open and glowing in the light. Its pale skin was ripped to shreds by bullets, claws reaching to the gaping holes as It hit the water and crumpled. I yelled in joy, not even caring about my gaping head wound and scratches on my skull. I didn’t even care that I was vulnerable.
I am Jack’s over-inflated feeling of joy and invincibility.
It was inevitable that one of Them attacked. I was well-prepared, brave, and ready to kill Them, so I totally saw it coming. By that, I mean it completely took me by surprise when It attacked and I almost had a heart attack as I was pummeled into the water, my head plunged down into the murky wet filthiness filled with grit and bits of plastic, among other things I didn’t care to think about. Red lines floated up and swirled about in the murkiness, illuminated by the golden light from my helmet. A torrent of bubbles flew up from my mouth as I screamed, as though parting the water so my soul could float up. I was dying, and was sure that this was the end.
Luckily for me, though, it wasn’t. It decided to bring me back up for air. I gasped as dank, wretched air filled my lungs, but it was air nonetheless. It was now that I realized how comforting the gasmask was, how precious air was, and how short my life was. I doubted it would last a second longer, now that I looked It in the face. Only, It didn’t seem very monstrous after a second. It calmed down, It’s red hair hanging over me and framing the face of my killer, It’s fangs retreating into It’s mouth as It’s blood red eyes looked on from fury to curiosity. I looked back filled with fear, but also with curiosity, as I realized that It was a girl. A pretty girl.
I am Jack’s adolescent panic.
It (she?) let one of her hands go and, with her free hand, put a few crimson locks behind one ear before reaching out and touching my head wound where I think a bit of skull was bare. I felt nothing at the time, but that was probably due to adrenaline.
“Reh karr vludd. Reh ist eska?” She said, seeming actually more worried for my well being than she was concerned about how to kill me.
They could talk. Or, at least, one of Them could. I laid there stunned, confused, curious, and above all nervous as all Hell. The smell of blood on her (It’s?) breath almost made me sick, but her features seemed too pretty, too human, and I began to wonder if I’d already died. The icy water chilled me to the bone, but I didn’t feel cold enough. It was then, after reviewing in my mind all the savvy James Bond one-liners I knew, that I uttered the most savvy, smooth words I could utter at that point in time.
“H-Hi. Umm... Thanks for... y’know, not k-killing me.” I choked. I figured I would die any moment, but I guess it would be better to die at the hands of a girl than the hands of a monster. Maybe I was already dead, slain by one of Them, and this girl was Death. I guess that would explain how some people yearn for the comfort of Death, and how after death some people look peaceful, but this was of little comfort to me.
I didn’t know if I was actually alive until the adrenaline wore off after what seemed like hours of staring into her (or It’s, I wasn’t sure) blood-red eyes. Once the adrenaline wore off, I felt a searing, stinging, horrible pain and realized I was bleeding. I felt faint, felt like I was dying, but, because of the pain, I was now completely sure that I was alive and knew now more than ever the meaning of the phrase “Life’s a bitch and then you die”. I screamed involuntarily, and then was quickly surrounded by Them.
They looked menacing, but somehow human-like. Some looked on with curiosity and fear, but most looked at me with searing hatred and anger, knowing exactly what I was and what I had come for. Some of Them took longer than others to realize that even without a gasmask, I was still one of the Upsiders, a human, something they hated, something sent to kill Them.
“Sapinze!” They shouted angrily. I froze with fear. She tensed up. I didn’t know what to do.
“Ni, meh ist angtrill!” She yelled. I heard fear on her voice, near paralyzing fear. This wasn’t good. This wasn’t good at all. I slid out from under her and jumped up, and began running. I grabbed my gun and got ready to shoot, but They still didn’t move. As I pointed my gun at a crowd of Them blocking a tunnel, They jumped at me. I was about to shoot, but then I was tackled by the girl. Red hair flying, she threw the gun out of my hands.
“Ni! Ni! Reh retka! Retz retka!” She screamed, filled with fear. I was hit in the side by another one of Them. My head cracked against the side of one of the concrete tunnels. Everything went black.
The last thing I remember hearing was the frantic cry of “Retz retka!”
I awoke strapped to an old, battered oak desk with symbols and designs that I could feel carved into it. I ran my fingers along the swirls and odd markings, unable to see them but able to guess what they looked like. Everything smelled like blood. I didn’t fight against the old leather straps, I merely laid there, wondering where the Hell I was and how the Hell I got there. I saw a grungy subway ceiling above me. I looked around and saw an old subway car with symbols drawn in what appeared to be blood. The subway doors opened with a loud screech and water rushed in, filling the subway with a generous foot or so of water, before the doors closed again as one of Them walked in. It (he?) was holding a large sharpened stone and dressed in many layers of torn, blood-stained military fatigues, looking much like old, bloody green robes. He started muttering something under his breath as he bowed to me. I could hear the chants of “Vluanreh!” echoing loudly outside the cabin. I was suddenly terrified.
The elder It walked towards me, stroking Its long, white beard with one hand while holding the knife in another. He held the knife in both hands, raised it above his head as he walked towards me, and slowly let the bladedown until it’s point poked mein the left side of my chest. A drop of blood welled up. He was aiming for my heart.
He raised his knife up and prepared to bring it down with swift force, when suddenly she burst in, red hair flying, tears on her face. She muttered something I couldn’t even make any syllables out of, then said something like “Reh retka, tavanska. Tavanska, tavanska, Vluudminsko, reh sulvii meh.”
The old man (elder It) stroked his beard, then said “Zia.” He walked over to a banged up, old refrigerator hooked up to a generator and pulled out a heart. He oinked at me and grinned, probably saying that it was a pig’s heart. He cut me loose from my bonds, grabbed a bucket from the fridge, and started pouring blood from a bucket onto the table. I quickly slid off as this happened, and crawled out from behind the desk. The old man motioned to a hole in the back of the subway cabin. She hugged him, grabbed my hand, and led me through the hole and down a long tunnel. We crawled through the darkness. I was happy to be alive, happy to be with her. I might have been falling for her, I really couldn’t say. Despite being wet and covered in blood, I was happy. I felt the side of my head as pain returned, only to feel bandages there. Some of Them did care, after all. I was hopeful. Some of Them seemed almost human.
The girl and I ran down dark, dank, small tunnels, far smaller than the subway tunnels, to the point where we had to crawl at places. I felt claustrophobic, but the feeling of at least having someone to show me the way through the darkness helped a little. We came out of a hole in the ground near some fields, the crops swaying high above our heads as we looked out of the hole at the bright, full moon, shining like polished silver in the black night. We climbed out of the hole, soaked to the bone, and we stumbled over to an abandoned barn. The old chipping red paint flaked off in the wind, the musty smell of old wood drew us to it. I kicked at the locked door and its rusty lock snapped off, letting the door swing open. We went inside, finding relief from the wind, and found some jackets to put on to keep us warm, along with a pile of hay to lay in for the night. I laid down in it, feeling warmer already, and she laid beside me. As the barn creaked and the wind howled, we slept.
I awoke to a rifle being shoved in my face and the girl screaming. I opened my eyes to see shadowy figures in helmets and gasmasks yelling at me in the darkness.
“Get up, traitor! Slowly! We won’t hesitate to fill you full of holes if you so much as look at us funny.”
I got up slowly, hands raised above my head. The girl did the same, her red eyes glowing in the night. She muttered something I could barely even hear, but what I did hear sounded terrified and shaky. I reached out and grabbed her hand.
The men in gasmasks and uniform led us out of the barn and put handcuffs on us. We were led down a path into a battered old Humvee, and were seated. It was a bumpy, dark drive. I laid my head on her shoulder. Somehow I managed to get some sleep. I don’t know if she did.
I awoke when I was pulled out of the vehicle and shoved into a jail cell, along with the girl. The door slammed shut and we sat there in darkness, watching the sun rise through metal bars as we sat on cold concrete. We huddled together to keep warm and watched the sun rise. She hid from the sun and began to sleep. I kept watch.
They came with gasmasks still on, dressed in military uniforms and with guns pointed at us, their boots stomping the concrete floor into submission as they marched towards us. The cell door creaked open, and I awoke the girl. We stepped outside into the sunlight. She screamed and darted back inside. They shot her instantly. I cried out. They shot me, too.
I felt immense pain in my gut as blood spilled out and an impending sense of doom. I crawled over next to her. She grabbed my hand. I held hers with what life I had left.
I could hear a faraway muttering from the girl, I couldn’t make out anything. I looked at her through the fog and she smiled grimly. I smiled back. I could hear a faint cry from outside the cell and saw the soldiers try to block the outsiders’ view of us. It was too late for them. Someone had seen this. Someone knew the truth, if only a small part of it. Several people had seen this happen. Someone may rise up and do something. Soon one would investigate and try to end this injustice, then another. There was hope.
Everything seemed to be fading and I caught a few glimpses of the girl and I bleeding out together on the cold concrete floor as a crowd gathered outside and the soldiers tried to shoo people away. Then everything faded to black.
I didn’t know whether there was anything after this. If there was, I had no idea what it’d be like. Part of me didn’t care. I knew some part of me would live on, in the form of someone else carrying on my new mission: to stop the injustice. I didn’t know if I’d get to live on forever in some paradise with the girl. Part of me didn’t care. Why?
Because I am Jack, the first of many.
"What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?" -Jesus Christ

Nation does not necessarily reflect political views.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
INTP/INTJ
Writer, high school student, Democratic Socialist, vaguely agnostic Christian of some sort (maybe), Libertarian.

Foxtropica's NS cousin, Samuraikoku's Sancho Panza
Individuality-ness wrote:You are Alex, NSG's writer and lead procrastinator. *nods* :P

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

UTC -5

So, Eastern Standard?

The deadline is only 26 minutes away?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:UTC -5

So, Eastern Standard?

WAIT WHAT!?
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
So, Eastern Standard?

WAIT WHAT!?

Astro, you realize it's 4:40 EST right now, right?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
WAIT WHAT!?

Astro, you realize it's 4:40 EST right now, right?

But the OP says the deadline isn't until January 1st!
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction