NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Free Trade Bill

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Britain and Northern Ireland (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Free Trade Bill

Postby Britain and Northern Ireland (Ancient) » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Her Majesty's government of The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland proposes that trade between all WA member states should be free and unregulated without let or hindrance.

We call for:

a) the abolition of import/export duty within all WA member states

b) the end of the practice of protectionism within all WA member states

and

c) the end of the practice of adding quotas to foreign trade in all WA member states

Clause I: any nation that does not agree to the proposal shall be allowed to opt out, however, it will then be up to any nation that trades with a state that has opted out of the Free Trade Bill to add tariffs and/or quotas to any trade with said nation

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Clause I: any nation that does not agree to the proposal shall be allowed to opt out, however, it will then be up to any nation that trades with a state that has opted out of the Free Trade Bill to add tariffs and/or quotas to any trade with said nation

That makes the proposal illegal for optionality! Good grief!

- Ms. S. Harper.

Britain and Northern Ireland (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Britain and Northern Ireland (Ancient) » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

That makes the proposal illegal for optionality! Good grief!

- Ms. S. Harper.

Sorry I'm new to all this, if I remove that would the proposal be fine?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Honestly, we can see no benefit to a blanket abolition of tariffs.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Droskianishk
Envoy

Founded: Dec 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Droskianishk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 pm

It seems to violate several pieces of legislation already in place most notably Ethics in Trade (EIT). Although this delegate would support any attempt to overturn EIT.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Unregulated economies? Not going to happen. Not with the resolutions that exist.

How about you just skip this idea entirely? Your proposal seeks to do away with ALL "duty" (read: tariffs), which puts it in conflict with resolution #118: Ethics in International Trade. Yes it requires certain conditions to exist, but if they do, then tariffs are applied, which means that duty or tariffs cannot be completely abolished.

While we're on the topic of economic resolutions, let's just review the others that exist, since there is a chance that in your revision efforts you'll run afoul other existing resolutions.

We have resolution #68: National Economic Freedoms, which grants economic freedom to nations. The last clause in it allows for the previously mentioned resolution to exist. There had been a legality challenge which referenced this resolution when Ethics in International Trade was being drafted. It was found that the last clause of this resolution (#70) allowed for #118 to exist.

Then we have resolution #138: Consumer Product Safety which prohibits the import and export of consumer goods deemed harmful. It also sets a standard for trade when it comes to the safety of goods.

Unregulated commerce would mean that there is a chance for collusion, monopolies/duopolies, cartels, price-fixing and other unethical business practices which seek to undermine the competition. Unfortunately, member nations have to have laws to reign in these practices and others under resolution #70: International Competition Law.

If you still believe you can legislate more on the topic of economic freedom and the like, you're free to try, keeping in mind that it shouldn't contradict or duplicate the above resolutions. You're also advised to read up on the rules for proposals - you can find the thread for that near the top of the forum, it's a sticky.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:23 pm

"...except as restricted by previous legislation issued by this body." That's all a legislator need do to get around previous contradictory statements.

Although the final clause seems to be an outright illegal Optionality provision.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:32 am

Illegal for optionality and contradiction. Also, "Her Majesty's government of The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland" is branding and possible RL reference (although I notice that your nation name is The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland).
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Monikian WA Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Monikian WA Mission » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Her Majesty's government of The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland proposes that trade between all WA member states should be free and unregulated without let or hindrance.

Illegal. Branding. Illegal RL reference.

a) the abolition of import/export duty within all WA member states

Not going to happen the right to tax imports and exports is key to maintaining the national sovereignty of member states.

b) the end of the practice of protectionism within all WA member states

Not going to happen, the right to protect the goods of a state is vital to maintaining the national sovereignty of member states.

c) the end of the practice of adding quotas to foreign trade in all WA member states

Not going to happen. Quota systems are vital to maintaining the national sovereignty of member states.

Illegal. Optionality.

Also this contradicts all the resolutions mentioned by Kryozerkia.
All posts should be assumed to be IC unless I am using an OOC indicator.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

(An asterisk [*] {or exclamation point [!] at the beginning of a word} in Monikian Words indicates a clicking sound which is not easily translatable in the Latin alphabet)

some cool stuff

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly