NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A dignified resting-place for the greatest threads of all time.
User avatar
Michael Kenmore
Diplomat
 
Posts: 905
Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael Kenmore » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 am

Noders wrote:
Balrogga wrote:
Are you sure that is the right link?

It appears to be surface ships/sub/torpedo for an MT navy and not any FT ships.

Not space FT. Ship FT so yea its the right link.....


Not unheard of, but here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46067

This is an example of an FT storefront I made. Per product it shows a picture, a description containing some incentive to buy the product, as well as some stats that make it sound great.

But, Noders, you forgot the most important thing of all.... the prices.
Last edited by Michael Kenmore on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ya! We EAT People!
I am Mitch, the original Stargate NSer.
THE HORROR LADY
Mike the Progressive wrote:Goob? Can I call you Goob?

Look Ralph, it's like a good porno. Idiotic plot, excessive moaning, and it's unreal as shit. But at the end of the day: Who cares?
New Amerik wrote:Each share represents a single hair on your Manly Moustache of Manliness.

The more shares you've collected, the more follicles you've got and the more luxurious your luscious, gentlemanly, simply outstanding Moustache of Manliness will be.

For comparison, Max Barry currently has about the same level of Moustacheness as Theodore Roosevelt.

User avatar
Feazanthia
II Roleplay Mentor
 
Posts: 2055
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 am

Derscon wrote:
Axis Nova wrote:Of course, how EASILY it can be done depends on your tech level, but really, if you have interstellar travel this should be a pretty basic thing.


Well, when you're deciding what you're going to do with your nation, how you're going to find shit, etc, then ease is always a factor. We, now, can do a lot of the things in sci-fi, but it isn't easy nor feasible considering all of the other factors that would go into pulling said thing off. If you're going for flavor, then the ease-factor isn't necessary, but it's only unnecessary if flavor is your only concern.

@Feaz: I do keep forgetting about fusion torches <_<

On the whole, though, how efficient is asteroid mining, really? They have a tendency to bump into each other a lot, they're all small and spread out, many of the resources on them could be found in higher densities on a planet or a moon, etc. Admittedly, this is a question, not a charge (I don't actually know the answer), but it just intuitively strikes me as utterly wasteful.


No. No they don't bump into each other at all. Asteroid collisions are major events.

If you're standing on an asteroid, and can see another asteroid, this is unusual. Fields like those shown in Star Trek, Star Wars, even Battlestar? Complete bullshit. They're nothing like that.

As for its efficiency?

I'm pulling from wikipedia here...

In 2004, the world production of iron ore exceeded a billion metric tons.[4] In comparison, a comparatively small M-type asteroid with a mean diameter of 1 km could contain more than two billion metric tons of iron-nickel ore,[5] or two to three times the annual production for 2004. The asteroid 16 Psyche is believed to contain 1.7×1019
kg of nickel-iron, which could supply the 2004 world production requirement for several million years. A small portion of the extracted material would also contain precious metals. In 2006, the Keck Observatory announced that the binary Trojan asteroid 617 Patroclus,[6] and possibly large numbers of other Jupiter Trojan asteroids, are likely extinct comets and consist largely of water ice. Similarly, Jupiter-family comets, and possible near-Earth asteroids which are defunct comets, might also economically provide water.


Their resource densities per sq.km really would be no different than a planet or moon, since they're made from the same stuff, and here's why asteroid mining would be more attractive than planet or moon mining.

Gravity.

Asteroids have very little of it. Moons have a lot. Planets have shittons. Gravity lowers your efficiency, as you're fighting it all the time. You spend more energy, more resources, to mine on moons and planets; this lowers your net gain in resources.
CELEBRATING TEN YEARS OF SLIGHTLY LESS-THAN-TERRIBLE ROLEPLAYING ON NATIONSTATES
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
Quasi-Official NSBalls Subreddit
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:The enemies of the ESUS make foolproof plans. We preempt them by making a better fool.

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:As a rule of thumb, the length of one's internet spaceboats is inversely proportional to the length of one's penis.

Anthropoda Ingens wrote:1-2=-1 is exactly as mathematically sound as Alcubierre's muttering, too. Now, imagine you've exactly one (1) apple. Eat both of them.
Fact: Jenrak is Jesus.
Rumor: Morningstar is Bill Nye.

User avatar
Noders
Senator
 
Posts: 4758
Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 am

Michael Kenmore wrote:
Noders wrote:Not space FT. Ship FT so yea its the right link.....


Not unheard of, but here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46067

This is an example of an FT storefront I made. Per product it shows a picture, a description containing some incentive to buy the product, as well as some stats that make it sound great.

But, Noders, you forgot the most important thing of all.... the prices.

........I know......... :( .......no....Idea what to chrage
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menasha= God of pissing Noders off
Tsarsgrad= The god of Rp's (right) :P
Koribaann=The god of GodModding
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Hamittia=Thinks he's a god
Dorlania=Slave of false god
Prem=False Goddess
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

User avatar
Michael Kenmore
Diplomat
 
Posts: 905
Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael Kenmore » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:11 am

Feazanthia wrote:No. No they don't bump into each other at all. Asteroid collisions are major events.

If you're standing on an asteroid, and can see another asteroid, this is unusual. Fields like those shown in Star Trek, Star Wars, even Battlestar? Complete bullshit. They're nothing like that.


Just nitpicking, but as far as we know asteroid fields close to our system are not like that. We live on the galaxy edge. Most of the heavy fields of stuff might be found towards the galactic center. I see no problem with someone inventing a solar system and shoving a ton of rocks in it so long as they have a plausible excuse for the gravity that's keeping all that debris there, and a reason something got pulled apart at that point.
Ya! We EAT People!
I am Mitch, the original Stargate NSer.
THE HORROR LADY
Mike the Progressive wrote:Goob? Can I call you Goob?

Look Ralph, it's like a good porno. Idiotic plot, excessive moaning, and it's unreal as shit. But at the end of the day: Who cares?
New Amerik wrote:Each share represents a single hair on your Manly Moustache of Manliness.

The more shares you've collected, the more follicles you've got and the more luxurious your luscious, gentlemanly, simply outstanding Moustache of Manliness will be.

For comparison, Max Barry currently has about the same level of Moustacheness as Theodore Roosevelt.

User avatar
Feazanthia
II Roleplay Mentor
 
Posts: 2055
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:41 am

True, we don't know for absolute certain, but we have a very high degree of certainty.

Know why? Because an asteroid field that dense would have them constantly being attracted and sheared by each others' tidal forces, a high (on a astronomical scale) rate of collision, and other nasty things.

Any field that dense would quickly be reduced to gravel.
CELEBRATING TEN YEARS OF SLIGHTLY LESS-THAN-TERRIBLE ROLEPLAYING ON NATIONSTATES
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
Quasi-Official NSBalls Subreddit
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:The enemies of the ESUS make foolproof plans. We preempt them by making a better fool.

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:As a rule of thumb, the length of one's internet spaceboats is inversely proportional to the length of one's penis.

Anthropoda Ingens wrote:1-2=-1 is exactly as mathematically sound as Alcubierre's muttering, too. Now, imagine you've exactly one (1) apple. Eat both of them.
Fact: Jenrak is Jesus.
Rumor: Morningstar is Bill Nye.

User avatar
Noders
Senator
 
Posts: 4758
Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 am

Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menasha= God of pissing Noders off
Tsarsgrad= The god of Rp's (right) :P
Koribaann=The god of GodModding
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Hamittia=Thinks he's a god
Dorlania=Slave of false god
Prem=False Goddess
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

User avatar
Michael Kenmore
Diplomat
 
Posts: 905
Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael Kenmore » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Feazanthia wrote:True, we don't know for absolute certain, but we have a very high degree of certainty.

Know why? Because an asteroid field that dense would have them constantly being attracted and sheared by each others' tidal forces, a high (on a astronomical scale) rate of collision, and other nasty things.

Any field that dense would quickly be reduced to gravel.


Gravel, or microasteroids, are very dangerous in themselves. Stargate Atlantis is the only common TV sci fi I can think of that pointed this out.

But still, a system where gravity is constantly pulling in huge bodies and breaking them down into good-sized asteroid chunks and smaller seems to me like an atrocious "food processor" hazard in itself, and I am in FT a good deal for the melodrama.
Ya! We EAT People!
I am Mitch, the original Stargate NSer.
THE HORROR LADY
Mike the Progressive wrote:Goob? Can I call you Goob?

Look Ralph, it's like a good porno. Idiotic plot, excessive moaning, and it's unreal as shit. But at the end of the day: Who cares?
New Amerik wrote:Each share represents a single hair on your Manly Moustache of Manliness.

The more shares you've collected, the more follicles you've got and the more luxurious your luscious, gentlemanly, simply outstanding Moustache of Manliness will be.

For comparison, Max Barry currently has about the same level of Moustacheness as Theodore Roosevelt.

User avatar
Axis Nova
Diplomat
 
Posts: 613
Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Axis Nova » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Asteroid processing is all fairly macro scale stuff for FT Axis Nova rather than nanoscale. Smaller roids can just be stuffed right into the refinery ship for processing (for certain definitions of asteroid, anyways), the rest get chopped up into chunks and tossed in. Then stuff is separated out in any number of ways both mundane and fantastical. From there raw materials are condensed into a more compact and transportable form (which varies depending on the material) and moved to a factory complex elsewhere in the system aboard a freighter.

User avatar
Bavin
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5305
Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Michael Kenmore wrote:
Feazanthia wrote:No. No they don't bump into each other at all. Asteroid collisions are major events.

If you're standing on an asteroid, and can see another asteroid, this is unusual. Fields like those shown in Star Trek, Star Wars, even Battlestar? Complete bullshit. They're nothing like that.


Just nitpicking, but as far as we know asteroid fields close to our system are not like that. We live on the galaxy edge. Most of the heavy fields of stuff might be found towards the galactic center. I see no problem with someone inventing a solar system and shoving a ton of rocks in it so long as they have a plausible excuse for the gravity that's keeping all that debris there, and a reason something got pulled apart at that point.

Those dense asteroid belts tend to form into planets after a while. Jupiter is really the only thing keeping our belt from becoming a planet. What an ass.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

User avatar
Khandosia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 402
Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:07 am

My FT Factbook|Liber Sanguinary Aeternum| Return of the Lion


"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

User avatar
OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11294
Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Corporate Police State

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 am

Khandosia wrote:And you thought Bear Cavalry was bad. Possible? Discuss.

The main armament is facing the wrong way. And assuming you turn that beasty around to fire the gun, the tail armor is basically useless due to the way it's applied.

Besides, the Allies have a superior weapon:
http://westofthewest.files.wordpress.co ... nazis1.jpg
“Whoever comes to us with a sword, will die by the sword!”
[The Russian Empire General Factbook]
[The Imperial Russian Army] [The Imperial Russian Navy]

User avatar
Auman
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1787
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Auman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 am

Michael Kenmore wrote:
Noders wrote:er well the ships are based of Sup Com so there robotic.....

If you're trying to sell a product, promote the good sides. Say: Features the latest, snazziest, ultra-whambang-positronic-gravo-hopper robotic technology! (Don't actually, but you get the point.)
Say that it's a low, low price for limited time. Say that it's got enormous pwnage power. And then fix up some shiny stats like length, cargo capacity, crew, etc.


Talk 'em up on the locking rear differential.
IBNFTW local 8492

User avatar
Allanea
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8994
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Allanea » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:08 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Khandosia wrote:And you thought Bear Cavalry was bad. Possible? Discuss.

The main armament is facing the wrong way. And assuming you turn that beasty around to fire the gun, the tail armor is basically useless due to the way it's applied.



Main gun is clearly an indirect-fire weapon.
Allanea is ranked 1st in Greater Prussia and 115th in the world for Largest Defense Forces.
Allanea is ranked 1st in Greater Prussia and 171st in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector.

<Luna> Being a slaver isn't fun. It's mostly about getting cluster bombs dropped on you or group nuclear strikes.

User avatar
Zepplin Manufacturers
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 184
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zepplin Manufacturers » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 am

The main problem is you have put your reasnably expensive anti tank gun, light howitzer or whatever and not a little armour on something that basicly has no intrest at all in warfare and wasnt in any way relevant designed for it save for its payload and even that is questionable.

Now if you were as is the obvious path train your beastie from birth (expense) feed it (expense) you still have problems. Oh sure it can wander around but that recoil will do bad things to it over time and puts a definitive limit on how large a recoiling weapon it can carry.

It has a natural wastage, it has no upgrade paths in the way of payload, speed or survivability and its replacements require training time and handlers, it is not in any way reliable and may simply die at any time to any number of natural and non war related causes. It requires a VAST amount of foliage (look up the amount of feed the huge numbers of unused cav and used gun horses in world war one required, we are talking millions of tons) and live with its miserably slow speed, limited cruise range, and strict viable environments. If it grows ill it cannot be swiftly returned to duty, its wounds require a great deal of care and it can simply go lame at the wrong moment. Unlike a machine which you may just have a spare tire, tread or drive sprocket for getting a new leg isnt as easy.

It has a huge and very basicly biological vunerability to shell fragments, reasnably large calibre machine guns and ANY calibre of cannon, any rocket, mortar, mine or reasnabe grenade. Indeed its large size will mean just like horses it will suffer brutally from cannister and shell fragments. FIre will override any training you try to instill in it, and there is the in this case not so small problem of dung.

Never work with children or animals.
Last edited by Zepplin Manufacturers on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
There screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?!
About Me

User avatar
The Steampunk Empire
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steampunk Empire » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 am

Zepplin Manufacturers wrote:The main problem is you have put your reasonably expensive anti tank gun, light howitzer or whatever and not a little armour on something that basically has no interest at all in warfare and wasn't in any way relevant designed for it save for its payload and even that is questionable.

Now if you were as is the obvious path train your beastie from birth (expense) feed it (expense) you still have problems. Oh sure it can wander around but that recoil will do bad things to it over time and puts a definitive limit on how large a recoiling weapon it can carry.

It has a natural wastage, it has no upgrade paths in the way of payload, speed or survivability and its replacements require training time and handlers, it is not in any way reliable and may simply die at any time to any number of natural and non war related causes. It requires a VAST amount of foliage (look up the amount of feed the huge numbers of unused cav and used gun horses in world war one required, we are talking millions of tons) and live with its miserably slow speed, limited cruise range, and strict viable environments. If it grows ill it cannot be swiftly returned to duty, its wounds require a great deal of care and it can simply go lame at the wrong moment. Unlike a machine which you may just have a spare tire, tread or drive sprocket for getting a new leg isnt as easy.

It has a huge and very basically biological vulnerability to shell fragments, reasonably large calibre machine guns and ANY calibre of cannon, any rocket, mortar, mine or reasonable grenade. Indeed its large size will mean just like horses it will suffer brutally from canister and shell fragments. Fire will override any training you try to instil in it, and there is the in this case not so small problem of dung.

Never work with children or animals.

You're right, its imperfect... It needs more steam....

And dorfs...

Also, you need spell-check...
Last edited by The Steampunk Empire on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FT Factbook page

Are you familiar with the chain of command? -pause- It's the chain I'm gonna go get and beat you with till you learn who's in command!

No one's taller than the last man standing!

User avatar
Galla-
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10835
Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 am

Khandosia wrote:And you thought Bear Cavalry was bad. Possible? Discuss.


I almost bought that game, but I got Killing Floor instead. $9.99 on Steam iirc.

Oh and I'm p sure a gun that big would snap the dinosaur's back from the recoil forces.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

User avatar
Zepplin Manufacturers
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 184
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zepplin Manufacturers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 am

As on occasion one posts with ones iphone one does not spell check and if thats all you can find wrong with the previous post then Im okay with it. Even so..

The main problem is you have put your reasonably expensive anti tank gun, light howitzer or whatever and not a little armour on something that basically has no interest at all in warfare and wasn’t in any way relevant designed for it save for its payload and even that is questionable.

Now if you were as is the obvious path train your beastie from birth (expense) feed it (expense) you still have problems. Oh sure it can wander around but that recoil will do bad things to it over time and puts a definitive limit on how large a recoiling weapon it can carry.

It has a natural wastage, it has no upgrade paths in the way of payload, speed or survivability and its replacements require training time and handlers, it is not in any way reliable and may simply die at any time to any number of natural and non war related causes. It requires a VAST amount of foliage (look up the amount of feed the huge numbers of unused cave and used gun horses in world war one required, we are talking millions of tons) and live with its miserably slow speed, limited cruise range, and strict viable environments. If it grows ill it cannot be swiftly returned to duty, its wounds require a great deal of care and it can simply go lame at the wrong moment. Unlike a machine which you may just have a spare tire, tread or drive sprocket for getting a new leg isn’t as easy.

It has a huge and very basically biological vulnerability to shell fragments, reasonably large calibre machine guns and ANY calibre of cannon, any rocket, mortar, mine or reasonable grenade. Indeed its large size will mean just like horses it will suffer brutally from canister and shell fragments. Fire will override any training you try to instil in it, and there is the in this case not so small problem of dung.

Never work with children or animals.

Happy?
Last edited by Zepplin Manufacturers on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
There screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?!
About Me

User avatar
Shuggy555
Diplomat
 
Posts: 536
Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shuggy555 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 am

hi im not sure if this has come up yet or not becuase im not going to read all 440 pages of this thread to find out but for some reason in almost all sci fi movies, books, etc they use fusion reactors or what not for power generation and i can't help but think what does every body have against puting say a Fission reactor as the power source of there spaceship and what not.

what do you guys think?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Political/Economic ideology
My political/Economic beliefs are rather complex but if i would have to label elements of it, i would say its a mix between Syndicalism, Market socialism, communism, nihilism and a Technocracyism.
I only agree with particular aspects of each one thus i am going to call it Hughism, becuase thats my name and its my own personal beliefs.

User avatar
The Fedral Union
Minister
 
Posts: 2697
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby The Fedral Union » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:05 am

Because FTL takes a fuck-ton of energy. You're either going to another dimension (Ie punching a hole through space time) or folding space. Either or that's an incredible amount of power. In-fact you'd need huge fusion reactors to power FTL. Plus you also have shields, weapons life support, sub light drives.

That and fusion doesn't tend to explode or release as much radiation as a fission core. Most plasmas dissipate with in a short time of a containment breach. I mean in the worst case scenario I can see someone venting their engine room in to space in case of accident or damage.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
~He who shouts loudest can only hear his own voice. Those with true knowledge listen to those with true faith. And those with closed ears never hear the swing of the reaper's blade.~


[01:35] <@Estainia> The battle fleet over New Earth certainly helps.
[01:35] <@Estainia> "We fucking dare you" isn't subtle after all.

"Sterling Archer: I have to stop Krieger from making a gay terminator!

-Sterling Archer: -Steals the uniform of a crew member prisoner- How's my disguise?

Lana Kane: Depends. Who're you supposed to be, Topper Bottoms, stern yet sensual skipper of the USS Rough Service?
"

User avatar
Shuggy555
Diplomat
 
Posts: 536
Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Shuggy555 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:31 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Because FTL takes a fuck-ton of energy. You're either going to another dimension (Ie punching a hole through space time) or folding space. Either or that's an incredible amount of power. In-fact you'd need huge fusion reactors to power FTL. Plus you also have shields, weapons life support, sub light drives.

That and fusion doesn't tend to explode or release as much radiation as a fission core. Most plasmas dissipate with in a short time of a containment breach. I mean in the worst case scenario I can see someone venting their engine room in to space in case of accident or damage.

the thing is fission reactors preduce basicly the same amount of power as fusion and takes up less room, plus so far all explosions from a fission powerplant were related to the coolent not the actuel reaction that means a fusion plant can have the exact same explosions and it may not seem it but fusion is many times more radioactive then fission 80% of the realesed energy in most fusion reactions are in the form of nuetron radiation and the worst case scenerio would probably be a explosion of the superconducting magnets tied in with a coolent explosion and seeming most fusion powerplant designs doesn't have a containment building there would be a large amount of radioactive debree spread over a large area

so back to the question why isn't fission ever used lol
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Political/Economic ideology
My political/Economic beliefs are rather complex but if i would have to label elements of it, i would say its a mix between Syndicalism, Market socialism, communism, nihilism and a Technocracyism.
I only agree with particular aspects of each one thus i am going to call it Hughism, becuase thats my name and its my own personal beliefs.

User avatar
Feazanthia
II Roleplay Mentor
 
Posts: 2055
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:56 am

Don't listen to TFU he's full of it. Fission power is perfectly feasible.

You're right. There's no reason fission can't be used. Most people don't because fission is seen as "too primitive". You could power a ship with coal-burning plants (and I think some of the E:E people do, just for lulz) but why would you?

Fusion also has the advantage of being remarkably easy to fuel. Deuterium-Tritium fusion, for instance, uses isotopes of Hydrogen, which is the most abundant element in the known universe.

As to the fission vs fusion size debate, I'm not sure where you're getting it. I'm not dismissing it outright, it's just the only time I've ever heard "fission plants are smaller than fusion plants" is in the Honorverse novels, and they're not exactly hard sci fi.

I will give TFU some credit in that, yes, a fusion reactor will not "go critical". If containment gets breached, you get a short and relatively small burst of plasma and the thing shuts down. It will not crack your warship in two unless you're completely retarded. If a fission plant goes up, it's the same as setting off a low-yield nuclear device inside your hull. THAT is why most people go with fusion.

Also...greater energy densities. Sorry, but you just get more energy out of a fusion reaction than a fission reaction.
CELEBRATING TEN YEARS OF SLIGHTLY LESS-THAN-TERRIBLE ROLEPLAYING ON NATIONSTATES
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
Quasi-Official NSBalls Subreddit
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:The enemies of the ESUS make foolproof plans. We preempt them by making a better fool.

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:As a rule of thumb, the length of one's internet spaceboats is inversely proportional to the length of one's penis.

Anthropoda Ingens wrote:1-2=-1 is exactly as mathematically sound as Alcubierre's muttering, too. Now, imagine you've exactly one (1) apple. Eat both of them.
Fact: Jenrak is Jesus.
Rumor: Morningstar is Bill Nye.

User avatar
Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1288
Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Anarchy

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:18 am

Though of course, the usefulness of fusion's energy density comes down mostly to 'I can have bigger pewpew' (Which in turn requires a pretty spiffy materials science, otherwise fission is technically enough, if logistically disadvantageous, for reasons pointed out by Feazanthia).

Claims that 'FTL requires fucktons of energy' are of course bullshit. An FTL variant I made up myself, and for which I'm saying that it requires a fuckton of energy', yes. But there's nothing, absolutely nothing, that stops people from saying that their FTL/ Timetravel/ Teleport/ Whatever method requires only miniscule amounts of energy. Say, the heat energy you get from rubbing your hands together for five seconds.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

User avatar
The Steampunk Empire
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steampunk Empire » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 am

Zepplin Manufacturers wrote:As on occasion one posts with ones iphone one does not spell check and if thats all you can find wrong with the previous post then Im okay with it. Even so..

**Snipped for space**
Happy?

Didn't realise it was from a phone, that explains a lot. And here with information technology at the level its at you'd think they'd include spell-check software on stuff like that... Oh well, capitalism at work, you'd probably have to pay 15.99 to get it.

But in all seriousness, its an epic idea, for the same reason bear cavalry is epic. Yeah, it has a number of drawbacks. But just look at it! Its bloody epic!

Still think it needs more steam...

...and dorfs...

But that's just me...

Feazanthia wrote:Don't listen to TFU he's full of it. Fission power is perfectly feasible.

You're right. There's no reason fission can't be used. Most people don't because fission is seen as "too primitive". You could power a ship with coal-burning plants (and I think some of the E:E people do, just for lulz) but why would you?

Fusion also has the advantage of being remarkably easy to fuel. Deuterium-Tritium fusion, for instance, uses isotopes of Hydrogen, which is the most abundant element in the known universe.

As to the fission vs fusion size debate, I'm not sure where you're getting it. I'm not dismissing it outright, it's just the only time I've ever heard "fission plants are smaller than fusion plants" is in the Honorverse novels, and they're not exactly hard sci fi.

I will give TFU some credit in that, yes, a fusion reactor will not "go critical". If containment gets breached, you get a short and relatively small burst of plasma and the thing shuts down. It will not crack your warship in two unless you're completely retarded. If a fission plant goes up, it's the same as setting off a low-yield nuclear device inside your hull. THAT is why most people go with fusion.

Also...greater energy densities. Sorry, but you just get more energy out of a fusion reaction than a fission reaction.


Then there's solar heated molten salt and steam. Recharged by the waste heat of our ships weapons and systems.

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:Though of course, the usefulness of fusion's energy density comes down mostly to 'I can have bigger pewpew' (Which in turn requires a pretty spiffy materials science, otherwise fission is technically enough, if logistically disadvantageous, for reasons pointed out by Feazanthia).

Claims that 'FTL requires fucktons of energy' are of course bullshit. An FTL variant I made up myself, and for which I'm saying that it requires a fuckton of energy', yes. But there's nothing, absolutely nothing, that stops people from saying that their FTL/ Timetravel/ Teleport/ Whatever method requires only miniscule amounts of energy. Say, the heat energy you get from rubbing your hands together for five seconds.


See above, I achieve FTL by having a propeller that treats space-time the same way a wet navy ship's prop treats water. Faster it spins, the faster you go! All powered by molten salt and steam! >:3
Last edited by The Steampunk Empire on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FT Factbook page

Are you familiar with the chain of command? -pause- It's the chain I'm gonna go get and beat you with till you learn who's in command!

No one's taller than the last man standing!

User avatar
Zepplin Manufacturers
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 184
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zepplin Manufacturers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 am

I see one small problem with this concept.. One tiny chink in an otherwise splendid steam punk aether treading star ship with great reflective sails and masts.. Im sure youve considered it.

When far away from a star such a ship shall need to put on exponentially more and more sail, indeed without a real..jump its going to get mighty ah ..Slow to change V once you’ve gone past your sail mass/ power / delta v ratio, and indeed somewhere there there’s going to be a limit. While having a space prop could possibly give you as much thrust as you want (indeed precisely as much thrust as you want) (and even FTL) than just a thermal solar rocket or straight light sail there’s going to be points that get hard to ..Um navigate. of course that could and would add to the fun of it buuut

There are some mighty dark gaps between some stars and even in the outer planets light tends to get a little ..scarce and then we get to the other thing..

"Now entering planetary totality, coasting and on remaining boiler temperature and coal dust turbines for the next 4 minutes. "

Which means that engagements in the dark will be ..Interesting especially if someone figures out that deploying a few serious light sails is a hoot.
Last edited by Zepplin Manufacturers on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
There screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?!
About Me

User avatar
The Fedral Union
Minister
 
Posts: 2697
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby The Fedral Union » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 am

I never claimed it wasn't feasible only that most types of theories regarding FTL require more power than a fission reactor could ever provide. In NS of course you have all sorts of wacky inventions but the key is safety. Though its not bad as antimatter.
~He who shouts loudest can only hear his own voice. Those with true knowledge listen to those with true faith. And those with closed ears never hear the swing of the reaper's blade.~


[01:35] <@Estainia> The battle fleet over New Earth certainly helps.
[01:35] <@Estainia> "We fucking dare you" isn't subtle after all.

"Sterling Archer: I have to stop Krieger from making a gay terminator!

-Sterling Archer: -Steals the uniform of a crew member prisoner- How's my disguise?

Lana Kane: Depends. Who're you supposed to be, Topper Bottoms, stern yet sensual skipper of the USS Rough Service?
"

PreviousNext

Remove ads

Return to Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Remove ads