NATION

PASSWORD

Multispectral Camouflage Uniforms

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Multispectral Camouflage Uniforms

Postby Lyras » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Multispectral Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform - Protectorate of Lyras

Development

Known variously as “El-cams” (from Lyran cams), “LDPU” or “A-cams” (from advanced cams), or just “DPU”, the Lyran Disruptive Pattern Camouflage employed on the current Lyran Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform (abbrev. LDPCU) has been designed and developed based on information obtained from detailed analyses of likely combat scenarios the Lyran Protectorate projects itself to be involved in. It is a five-colour 'blended-digitised' style of camouflage pattern, and features spots of differing colours, as determined by the climatic zone the particular variant is designed to be worn in. Three of which are illustrated, although more are available, and customised designs are also optional.

Several distinct versions of the LDPCU have been developed, and more than 1,000,000 uniforms have been produced and battle-tested in a number of combat theatres and at Army training centers. Even more are on Lyran production lines to be issued to personnel as they become available. Current fielding plans call for issue to the entirety of the Lyran Protectorate within the year.

Far from a simple pattern redesign, the LDPCU has been optimised to meet a wide variety of evident and not-so-evident soldier's requirements for an increasingly diverse and challenging battlespace. Every alteration -or non-alteration- was implemented for a purpose. The bottom pockets on the jacket were replaced (from the earlier ACU) for wear without body armour and shoulder sleeves retained. Velcro on shoulder sleeves was replaced with side-opening zips for easier access in a hurry. Chest pockets were redesigned, with openings on the inner side, rather than the top, and accessed via zips as opposed to buttons or velcro, both to reduce audibility, and to increase comfort while wearing body armour.

Use of black in specific uniform variants was re-introduced (subsequent to its removal from the American ACU and Australian Auscams), having determined its utility in certain distinct areas, such as lowlight urban engagements.

Features

-Breathable high collar, that can be worn up or down
-Rank insignia affixed to tab centred between chest pockets
-Velcro for wearing unit patch/s, name tags, recognition devices, etc.
-Water and sand resistant zips
-Zippered front closure
-Integral contoured anti-abrasion knee and elbow guards
The most cursory examination of the activities of soldiers in a field or combat environment will highlight the extensive reliance all personnel have upon their knees and elbows, and repeated studies have shown that elbows and knees are traditionally the first parts of a soldiers anatomy to break down other than by enemy fire. The addition of this feature improves soldier comfort and endurance, and assists mobility while prone.
-Elasticated leg cuffs
-Side-opening chest pockets with zip closure
-Three-slot velcro-closed pen pockets on bottom of each sleeve
-Velcro sleeve cuff closure
-Side-opening shoulder pockets with zip closure
-Low-profile zip-closed thigh pockets
-Tear-resistant fabric on upper arms and shoulders.
Lyran experience of armoured and mechanised warfare has shown that in the event of vehicle's being disabled and crew rendered unconscious, the most usual means for removing the vehicle's occupants is to drag them out by the clothing. To this end, fabric at and around the shoulders has been specially designed to be tough and weight bearing, to facilitate this evacuation.
-Seamless shoulders to minimise chaffing when wearing body armour
-Infra-Red suppressive fabric treatment
The LDPCU, itself, is made of a lightweight polyester–cotton fabric. When new, this material has a distinctly muted tinge, due to treatment with an infrared-suppressing compound. The introduction of Near-IR signature reductive clothing has recently been endorsed by the Lyran Army for all future developments of combat clothing and personal field equipment. So far, the results are very impressive, as detailed below.

Using training areas at Lughenti and North Depot, the new material had been tested in a trial involving soldiers from 8th (Wolfspiders) Mechanised Division, and was a major step for the team of Protectorate Research and Development Commission scientists who had been developing the technology since the return of Task Force Rho from Faxanavia.

The scientist coordinating the experiments at Lughenti and the North Depot Field Training Area, Lieutenant-Colonel Rothman, said input from soldiers was more than useful, claiming that it was a vital means of ensuring the end result met all requirements.

"Although significant work has been done in the laboratory, and using computer simulation, you can't actually confirm the technology, or consider it operationally viable, until you step into a realistic environment and draw on the expertise of combatant personnel," he said.

"In the final analysis, it is the data obtained from soldiers in a field environment that finally determined which camouflage pattern would be selected as the base standard that can be applied to clothing and equipment in the future."

Major Sean McReedy, the assistant project manager and military export-technical adviser for the project, said that IR suppression was a vital part of keeping the LDF up to date with advancements in infantry and dismounted operations.

"If soldiers are viewed in lowlight conditions by a potential adversary utilising modern 3rd or 4th generation night vision equipment, this technology will ensure the disruptive pattern is maintained, thereby making them considerably more difficult to detect visibly," he said.

"This in turn grants phenomenal advantages on operations, particularly in low light conditions. One experiment conducted at North Depot showed that soldiers wearing the new uniforms were virtually invisible at 12m when viewed with NVGs, whereas soldiers wearing the current issue ACU were clearly visible. The performance varies with range, vegetation and light conditions, however the initial data indicates that soldiers in the new LDPCU were more difficult to see in almost all situations. The Protectorate Research and Development Commission plans to apply this technology to the new infantry load carrying equipment being acquired for the infantry and mechanised divisions, such as updated modular chest webbing and large-volume/low-weight field packs.”

"For trial purposes, the IR-reduced camouflage pattern was applied to the current in-service ACUs, as well as prototype LDPCUs, and, subsequent to its success, has been applied as a cornerstone of the production variants of the LDPCU, and is being adapted to a range of in-service clothing and equipment."

The figure on the right is wearing the new uniform the other one is wearing the current uniform. This photo was taken from a distance of 12 metres....

Uniform Maintenance

The LDPCU is NOT to be starched, as starch can cause discolouration, and interferes with the IR-suppression properties. This will enhance the IR signature, making the uniform brighter when viewed with night vision goggles. Further, strong detergents may discolour the uniform, and again may react to neutralise the IR-suppression.
The uniform is not to be ironed, as the extensive heat application may damage the fibrous chemical treatment.
Cold machine wash, and drip dry where possible.

Pricing

Shirt: NS$65 (all sizes)
Trousers: NS$85 (all sizes)
Set: NS$125 (any combination of sizes)

Bulk deals:
100 sets: NS$12,000
1000 sets: NS$100,000
10,000 sets: NS$900,000
100,000 sets: NS$8m
1,000,000 sets: NS$70m

If you wish to outfit all your personnel with LDPCU, production facilities can be established within your nation, allowing the uniforms to be manufactured locally for instant delivery. However, the technology is proprietary, and thus payment is still required dependant upon number of sets required. Contacts and questions can be arranged through Lyran Arms.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Order of Beherit
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Order of Beherit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:00 am

UCP + Flecktarn :PPP That was quite funny... Is those UCP + Flecktarn Camo unifroms aviable in cheaper materials ? I would like to buy em for drivers&pilots use. So i would like to get em only with fireproof material and lesser amount of pockets would be nice too!

- IFM of Order
Last edited by Order of Beherit on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 am

OOC: I'd recommend posting on Lyras' main thread. It'll be faster and easier for both of you.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1112
Last edited by Falkasia on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Carpathia and Moldova
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carpathia and Moldova » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Kind of similar to what I use, except for the flecktarn-like pattern. Mine is called CARPAT (Carpathian Reactive Camouflage Pattern) and basically looks like this. Its blurry pattern causes the brain to miscalculate the distance and the eyes to lose focus when looking directly at it (Kinda actually works. My eyes hurt and I get the impression that my vision is blurry when I look at it). I've yet to commercialize it, but when I do, I might be interested in a partnership with Lyran Arms for distribution (which was the reason behind this post).

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:17 pm

OOC: This is not the place for comments. Please take that to TG, where things not relevant to the thread can be spoken.
Last edited by Lamoni on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Return to Global Economics and Trade