NATION

PASSWORD

Should FOMA be replaced? (Read 1st post)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Should WA member states be required to recognize gay marriages?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 99

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Should FOMA be replaced? (Read 1st post)

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:34 pm

To anyone:

Feel free to write a piece of replacement legislation that we could enact immediately after a repeal of FOMA (if such could be achieved).

Also, realize that the LGBT community already has extensive protection from other resolutions (i.e., those protecting sexual privacy and preventing discrimination).

I believe a more broadly acceptable resolution recognizing domestic partnerships would be better than FOMA and also would respect national sovereignty.

I will not debate this issue any further, at least for the meantime, while I focus on the "Beginning of Life Act" for which a ruling just was made.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

---------------------------

Waiting for the moderators to make a ruling on one of my proposals, the Beginning of Life Act, an act that would ban elective third trimester abortions; recognizing that the predecessor to the World Assembly was able to repeal gay marriage by a vote of 8,776 to 5,767 in HR #173 (8/30/2006); recognizing that HR #182, the Marriage Protection Act (authored by Witchcliff), passed 11,301 to 3,260 (10/20/2006); and noting that today's assembly (and, in fact, most of the real world) is more socially progressive than its predecessor assembly, I want to try to repeal and believe it is quite possible to repeal GAR #15, the Freedom of Marriage Act.

DRAFT

BELIEVING that individual governments should have a right to define marriage as they see fit or to privatize marriage,

BELIEVING that the imposition of an international definition of marriage, applied to all member nations, is extremely difficult due to wide ranging differences and that doing so causes serious problems for those nations with unusual marriage laws and customs,

RECOGNIZING that some World Assembly member states are theocracies, wherein the Church is the State and that, in effect, the State is a religious community, and that some state religions view homosexual acts as immoral,

RECOGNIZING that, in some World Assembly member states, marriage is always a religious rite,

RECOGNIZING that the Freedom of Marriage Act (FOMA) shows little respect for a sovereign nation's societal structure,

RECOGNIZING that there can be a compelling state interest to recognize only heterosexual marriages in order to promote procreation, a continuance of the population, or an expansion of the population,

NOTING that conjugal acts are a common, if not integral, part of a marriage and that, currently, children cannot be begotten of homosexual acts,

BELIEVING that the recognition of homosexual marriages can lead to violence against the LGBT community in certain nations hostile to homosexuality and wanting to prevent such violence,

RECOGNIZING that the bequeathal of property is not integrally connected with marriage and that such bequeathal can occur through legal wills,

COMMENDING the former nation of Mendosia, the author of FOMA, for standing by its ideology and attempting to advance LGBT rights,

AFFIRMING that some nations may choose to recognize civil unions, domestic partnerships, or similar contracts after the enactment of this repeal,

BELIEVING that marriage is not a significant human right, as stated by FOMA,

WELCOMING religious nations or nations otherwise opposed to the recognition of homosexual marriages who are not members of the World Assembly because of FOMA to join the World Assembly because of this repeal,

AFFIRMING that, under a grandfather clause, member states must continue to recognize the marriages of those homosexual couples that are already married, and

ENCOURAGING the General Assembly to enact legislation after this repeal to provide benefits to gay and lesbian couples in committed, lifelong relationships,

The General Assembly hereby repeals Resolution #15, the Freedom of Marriage Act.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

We can not support any repeal attempt of the Freedom of Marriage Act.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 pm

C.D., I... Guh...

When I said "Work on another resolution"... THIS ISN'T WHAT I MEANT. :palm:

Pretty sure it's legal, so AGAINST
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:58 pm

The Rich Port wrote:C.D., I... Guh...

Writing repeals is somewhat easier than trying to write new proposals.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:01 pm

The World Assembly is not likely to make a complete about-face towards social conservatism anytime soon.

Also, you have a branding problem in there. And you're legislating something new. (The grandfather clause.)
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:

Oh, well that's effin' great. You're absolutely right in that department.

You couldn't repeal something ANYMORE SENSIBLE? GAWD...

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Also, you have a branding problem in there. And you're legislating something new. (The grandfather clause.)

I was wondering if that is or isn't legal because, without that clause, the result of this repeal, if passed, would be uncertain.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I was wondering if that is or isn't legal because, without that clause, the result of this repeal, if passed, would be uncertain.

The only thing a repeal can do is repeal. It can't introduce any additional legislation. Right now, your repeal is adding a grandfather clause, as well as granting nations the right to legalize 'civil unions, domestic partnerships, or similar contracts.'

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 pm

I hope the region of Gay won't try to condemn me for this. That wouldn't be very fabulous for my nation.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I was wondering if that is or isn't legal because, without that clause, the result of this repeal, if passed, would be uncertain.

The only thing a repeal can do is repeal. It can't introduce any additional legislation. Right now, your repeal is adding a grandfather clause, as well as granting nations the right to legalize 'civil unions, domestic partnerships, or similar contracts.'

I'm not worried about the civil unions clause because I am not enacting anything new; I'm simply stating what nations will be able to do as a result of this repeal, if passed.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I hope the region of Gay won't try to condemn me for this. That wouldn't be very fabulous for my nation.

>:(
Last edited by The Rich Port on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:RECOGNIZING that some World Assembly member states are theocracies, wherein the Church is the State and that, in effect, the State is a religious community, and that some state religions view homosexual acts as immoral,

They also might support slavery or genital mutilation.. and do I give a shit if they view it as moral? Nope, and probably never will. .. give me a good reason why we should be allowed to treat someone differently on the basis of their sexual orientation.. and maybe I'll consider this tripe. But I honestly don't care if some people think otherwise than my ideals of social equality and freedom, people are capable of harboring some very dumb, very hurtful, very disturbing notions. Homophobia is one of those notions.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:13 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I hope the region of Gay won't try to condemn me for this. That wouldn't be very fabulous for my nation.

:eyebrow:

Though the guy in that video didn't seem to be one . . .

BEWARE OF BEARS!!! :shock: . . . you don't want to make one angry.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Unibot wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:RECOGNIZING that some World Assembly member states are theocracies, wherein the Church is the State and that, in effect, the State is a religious community, and that some state religions view homosexual acts as immoral,

They also might support slavery or genital mutilation.. and do I give a shit if they view it as moral? Nope, and probably never will. .. give me a good reason why we should be allowed to treat someone differently on the basis of their sexual orientation.. and maybe I'll consider this tripe. But I honestly don't care if some people think otherwise than my ideals of social equality and freedom, people are capable of harboring some very dumb, very hurtful, very disturbing notions. Homophobia is one of those notions.

Coming from that angle, are there really that many extreme theocratic countries in The World?

Honestly, C.D., this is nothing but pandering to religious nations, who probably aren't even a significant number. Not to mention that they're not willing to submit an objective opinion.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Eduard took a breather, "Okay bud. I'm going to count to ten.. and if you back down and never touch this trash again.. we'll all forget about and leave it to rest. But if you continue this tripe in its current form and especially if you continue it with ostentatious stereotyping .. my delegation will not only help Gay write a condemnation of you, I will personally lobby it and see the process through. As you can see, I've got a pretty good record at getting these condemnations passed. So leave it or wear it. Homophobia and anti-homosexual remarks aren't going to be tolerated by the Unibotian delegation and I have a sneaking suspicion that you underestimate the number of voters out there that would agree with me. "

So, do you feel lucky.. punk?

Last edited by Unibot on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Unibot wrote:

They also might support slavery or genital mutilation.. and do I give a [s***] if they view it as moral? Nope, and probably never will. .. give me a good reason why we should be allowed to treat someone differently on the basis of their sexual orientation.. and maybe I'll consider this tripe. But I honestly don't care if some people think otherwise than my ideals of social equality and freedom, people are capable of harboring some very dumb, very hurtful, very disturbing notions. Homophobia is one of those notions.

The recognition of a gay union provides legitimacy to a non-procreative relationship (i.e., sexual act).

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 pm

RECOGNIZING that there can be a compelling state interest to recognize only heterosexual marriages in order to promote procreation, a continuance of the population, or an expansion of the population,

NOTING that conjugal acts are a common, if not integral, part of a marriage and that, currently, children cannot be begotten of homosexual acts,

Oh yes, because if gay people can't get married, they'll turn straight and breed like rabbits, apparently.

BELIEVING that the recognition of homosexual marriages can lead to violence against the LGBT community in certain nations hostile to homosexuality and wanting to prevent such violence,

This sounds a completely specious assertation to me. Homophobic people will be persecuting homosexuals whether homosexuals can get married or not.

Now I must head off to my legation's Festivus dinner before my eyes roll right out of their sockets.

Erin Caswell
First Secretary, Permanent Mission of Kelssek to the WA

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Actually, I'm almost certain it's illegal - repeals cannot introduce brand new legislation, as this current draft intends to do with the so called "grandfather clause". Referring to the author by name, and current nation status, within the text of the proposal is also illegal by branding, I do believe.

To the text itself, some noteworthy comments that I have from the outset.

Christian Democrats wrote:NOTING that conjugal acts are a common, if not integral, part of a marriage and that, currently, children cannot be begotten of homosexual acts

Currently, children cannot be begotten of sterile heterosexual acts. Would the author be as so bold as to say that marriages between sterile couples should also be rendered void?

Christian Democrats wrote:RECOGNIZING that there can be a compelling state interest to recognize only heterosexual marriages in order to promote procreation, a continuance of the population, or an expansion of the population

He seems to suggest so with the above. Would someone, having to become sterile due to a medical complication, result in having their marriage voided?

3. I'm further in the belief that
Christian Democrats wrote:ENCOURAGING the General Assembly to enact legislation after this repeal to provide benefits to gay and lesbian couples in committed, lifelong relationships

would be in direct contradiction with

Christian Democrats wrote:BELIEVING that the recognition of homosexual marriages can lead to violence against the LGBT community in certain nations hostile to homosexuality and wanting to prevent such violence

Let's strip them of the right to being married, due to violence, but let them continue claiming benefits available to couples and the violence will magically go away. Yes, because those who are opposed to gay marriage will allow "marriage-in-all-but-name" to continue.

Christian Democrats wrote: RECOGNIZING that the Freedom of Marriage Act (FOMA) shows little respect for a sovereign nation's societal structure

Source? The Act boils down to the idea that anyone can get married, regardless of sexual orientation and/or gender. People can work, buy houses, take out loans, volunteer and contribute to the economy without impacting the nation's societal structure - what's different about marriage.

There are many other flaws with this proposal, the above just the obvious ones. I am fundamentally opposed to this draft that would see the devestating setback of the human-rights, and more specifically, LGBT rights movements.

Kind regards.,

Mdm Maria Tonyatova,
Minister for the World Assembly,
Sanctarian Department of Foreign Affairs
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:22 pm

The Cinistran government applauds any attempt to strip people of their so called "rights" :clap: . We are grateful for Christian Democrats to bring this one up, so we do not have to do it ourselves. Approved. Please continue your admirable work.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Unibot wrote:

Eduard took a breather, "Okay bud. I'm going to count to ten.. and if you back down and never touch this trash again.. we'll all forget about and leave it to rest. But if you continue this tripe in its current form and especially if you continue it with ostentatious stereotyping .. my delegation will not only help Gay write a condemnation of you, I will personally lobby it and see the process through. As you can see, I've got a pretty good record at getting these condemnations passed. So leave it or wear it. Homophobia and anti-homosexual remarks aren't going to be tolerated by the Unibotian delegation and I have a sneaking suspicion that you underestimate the number of voters out there that would agree with me. "

A joke using the word "fabulous" is hardly homophobic or anti-homosexual especially considering the presence of the term in the name of the nation who is Gay's founder, The Fabulous Founder of LGBT Equality.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Unibot wrote:

A joke using the word "fabulous" is hardly homophobic or anti-homosexual especially considering the presence of the term in the name of the nation who is Gay's founder, The Fabulous Founder of LGBT Equality.

"One." Eduard said, twitching his eyes.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:28 pm

We have no legally recognized union that can be defined as Marriage

therefore we support this repeal

we don't need teh WA dictating our customs
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Cinistra wrote:The Cinistran government applauds any attempt to strip people of their so called "rights" :clap: . We are grateful for Christian Democrats to bring this one up, so we do not have to do it ourselves. Approved. Please continue your admirable work.

When Cinistra likes it, it cannot in any way be good.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Kelssek wrote:

Oh yes, because if gay people can't get married, they'll turn straight and breed like rabbits, apparently.

This sounds a completely specious assertation to me. Homophobic people will be persecuting homosexuals whether homosexuals can get married or not.

Now I must head off to my legation's Festivus dinner before my eyes roll right out of their sockets.

Erin Caswell
First Secretary, Permanent Mission of Kelssek to the WA

A) Those who say that a gay man is gay just because he hasn't met the right woman yet are nuts.

B) Violence against the LGBT community, which is wrong, is intensified by recognition of gay marriages because stupid, angry straights use it as a pretense to attack LGBT people and/or the areas where they hang out.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:A joke using the word "fabulous" is hardly homophobic or anti-homosexual especially considering the presence of the term in the name of the nation who is Gay's founder, The Fabulous Founder of LGBT Equality.

As one of quite a few LGBT regulars, I can see how your use could be offensive. The pink color, the mocking tone, etc.

Anyways, regarding the civil unions clause, it is introducing new legislation. By saying that nations 'may' do it, the World Assembly is granting them a right to do it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly