NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) Defense of Life Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

When should elective abortion be legal? (excluding rape, incest, fetal defects, etc.)

Never
31%
1st trimester
11%
1st & 2nd trimesters
10%
Always
48%

Total votes : 291

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:A) An orbit is a year, not a week.

We shall define whatever quantities of time, including "week", as we see fit, we thank Your Excellency.

Considering that the rules require proposals to use standard English, then it rationally can be assumed that resolutions should be interpreted according to their standard English meanings -- i.e., one week is one week.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:
We shall define whatever quantities of time, including "week", as we see fit, we thank Your Excellency.

Considering that the rules require proposals to use standard English, then it rationally can be assumed that resolutions should be interpreted according to their standard English meanings -- i.e., one week is one week.

And how long is that?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:As far as we are concerned, we shall simply redefine "week" to mean "the time it takes for the Sun to make a complete orbit around the Galactic Center" and therefore we shall never be affected by this cartload of cow manure disguised as written text.

Next!
That's neither funny nor reasonable.

(Sidebar: oh man, anyone remember when Ceorana tried to define a 'week'? Hilarious.)

Look, proposals have a character limit of 3500, and have to be written in English. If they didn't - if appendices were allowed, translations required, if every word could be spelled out - perhaps yours would be a legitimate tactic; but given proposal authors only have so much space in which to define the terms, the game cannot function unless a certain degree of common sense is applied. I enjoy the Creative Solutions Agency's tactics as much as anyone, but at least they had some spirit to what they were doing; mindlessly interpreting any word as something it clearly does not mean is not conducive to an enjoyable game playing experience, to productive discussions, or to effective legislation. It reminds me more of a childish oneuppersonship: "infinity plus one!!"
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:As far as we are concerned, we shall simply redefine "week" to mean "the time it takes for the Sun to make a complete orbit around the Galactic Center" and therefore we shall never be affected by this cartload of cow manure disguised as written text.

Next!
That's neither funny nor reasonable.

(Sidebar: oh man, anyone remember when Ceorana tried to define a 'week'? Hilarious.)

Look, proposals have a character limit of 3500, and have to be written in English. If they didn't - if appendices were allowed, translations required, if every word could be spelled out - perhaps yours would be a legitimate tactic; but given proposal authors only have so much space in which to define the terms, the game cannot function unless a certain degree of common sense is applied. I enjoy the Creative Solutions Agency's tactics as much as anyone, but at least they had some spirit to what they were doing; mindlessly interpreting any word as something it clearly does not mean is not conducive to an enjoyable game playing experience, to productive discussions, or to effective legislation. It reminds me more of a childish oneuppersonship: "infinity plus one!!"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:This is just an opinion:

I do not believe it is in the spirit of fair play or good sportsmanship (considering that this is a game) to try to get around GA resolutions. My nation LEGITIMATELY adheres to all GA resolutions, even those which were adopted before I joined the WA and those with which I completely disagree, especially those resolutions legalizing gay marriage, embryonic stem cell research, and active euthanasia.

^^^^^ (my own post)
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Indeed, one week is one week:

WordNet Search - 3.0 - WordNet home page - Glossary - Help
Word to search for:
Display Options:
Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Noun

S: (n) week, hebdomad (any period of seven consecutive days) "it rained for a week"

And one day is one day:

WordNet Search - 3.0 - WordNet home page - Glossary - Help
Word to search for:
Display Options:
Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Noun

S: (n) day (the period of time taken by a particular planet (e.g. Mars) to make a complete rotation on its axis) "how long is a day on Jupiter?"

Lucky us the planet my nation is on takes a full eight hundred YEARS to make a complete rotation on its axis!
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:This is just an opinion:

I do not believe it is in the spirit of fair play or good sportsmanship (considering that this is a game) to try to get around GA resolutions. My nation LEGITIMATELY adheres to all GA resolutions, even those which were adopted before I joined the WA and those with which I completely disagree, especially those resolutions legalizing gay marriage, embryonic stem cell research, and active euthanasia.

^^^^^ (my own post)

Um... WHAT? Did you really just quote your own post and add little more than "this"?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:^^^^^ (my own post)

Um... WHAT? Did you really just quote your own post and add little more than "this"?

Yeah. I wanted to make my opinion abundantly clear and put it next to a similarly-themed post.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Um... WHAT? Did you really just quote your own post and add little more than "this"?

Yeah. I wanted to make my opinion abundantly clear and put it next to a similarly-themed post.

OOC: It looks like spam to me.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

!!!!!

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Now, let's get back on topic. I don't want this thread to be locked for digression.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

We use "week" as a colloquialism for "decaday"; that is ten rotations of the planet on its axis. Do you intend to deny personhood to prematurely-born babies?

Christian Democrats wrote:Now, let's get back on topic. I don't want this thread to be locked for digression.

CD, I really recommend that you acquaint yourself with the rules for posts before a mod looking to boost their stats in the Olympics notices what you're up to. Spamming and garish posts are not appreciated.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Christian Democrats - cut out the smiley spam, and refrain from posting in garish colours.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:04 pm

"Hell to the no."
-Orlkjestadi Representative To the WA, Jan Frederick
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Next!

And we'll redefine 'mandates' to mean 'urges,' and all of our problems will be solved. :D

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Christian Democrats - cut out the smiley spam, and refrain from posting in garish colours.

Okay.

(Aside: I like the candy cane on your flag.)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Do you intend to deny personhood to prematurely-born babies?

This proposal addresses personhood for fetuses. A prematurely-born baby isn't a fetus.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I want to propose this, but I still haven't received clarification from a moderator for how this proposal violates the optionality clause.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I want to propose this, but I still haven't received clarification from a moderator for how this proposal violates the optionality clause.

I do believe that the below is your problem.

DECLARES that the provisions of this resolution apply only to the modern human species known taxonomically as Homo sapiens.

I'm also opposed to this piece of legislation, but I do enjoy helping the newer nations out.

Kind regards.,
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Do you intend to deny personhood to prematurely-born babies?

This proposal addresses personhood for fetuses. A prematurely-born baby isn't a fetus.

Twenty-four weeks is only thirty days shorter than the typical pregnancy. Therefore, a premature birth could be prior to that demarcation.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

More callousness, blindness to truth, and false assumptions

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper still feels that the use of the 24 week rule is oddly specific. Also, what about in cases of rape or when the mother's life is in danger?

If you closely read the definitions, then there are exceptions for maternal life and maternal physical health after week 24.1

It is assumed that a woman who conceived of rape would seek an abortion before the 24th week of pregnancy if she wanted to do so.2

I chose week 24 because it is during this week that the 50% mark is passed for the percentage of fetuses who are viable (i.e., can live outside of the womb).3

1 Of course, you don't care if being forced to give birth against her will causes even the most extreme mental harm to the woman. Apparently mental harm -- no matter how severe, long-term or permanent, or debilitating -- is really insignificant. (I wonder why you think that, but I'm sure the answer would only piss me off.)

2 You make a HUGE assumption. You are playing with women's lives -- including the lives of women who have been the victims of the most heinous of crimes (including barely pubescent teens who may have been the victim of incestual rape) based on this ASSUMPTION. The arrogance and cruel indifference to suffering and human dignity is oustanding and appalling.

3 This is a challenged, but unproven assertion on your part. Kindly provide the evidence. It is also unclear why it is morally or legally relevant.

(I'm sure like almost all of my copious objections to, criticisms of, and questions about your proposal you will ignore this post. That only strengthens the conclusion your proposal is a bad one and that you are a fraud.
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:24 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:That only strengthens the conclusion your proposal is a bad one and that you are a fraud.

"Ambassador, I started reaching that conclusion two drafts of his ago. You should see this guy's Assembly record. I'm amazed the stenographers haven't given up entirely and started ignoring him themselves."
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I want to propose this, but I still haven't received clarification from a moderator for how this proposal violates the optionality clause.

Honestly, I don't care if your proposal is legal or not. It is still morally abhorrent, poorly written, entirely unnecessary, counter-productive, liable to kill women, unable to stop a single abortion (even if that were desirable), violative of national sovereignty, not a matter of international concern, a waste of our time, and (as copiously demonstrated in this thread) poorly thought out and defended.

It should not be submitted. Even if it is legal, it will fail. Count on it.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:29 am

I doubt it's optional and doubt it's illegal. However, we still consider it a longshot because many nations (like ours) recognize a female's right to choose what to do with her body. Due to this, we must urge the honored ambassador to withdraw this Act from consideration and stop wasting this august assembly's time by trying to force your nation's morals down our nations' throats...and failing at it.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:15 am

Re "week": since we've already had a ruling on "February" -- that it's legal in proposals -- I don't see why "week" shouldn't be either. The IC version is: the Gnomes translate it into the proper terminology to cover the equivalent period of time for each nation.

Re "what category": "Moral Decency", because this proposal is "a resolution to restrict civil freedoms" for the person bearing the child. I can see why you think "human rights" might apply, via the argument that the foetus is a person, and you are giving that person the right to continue living. However, at this stage of the WA, before your proposal becomes law, the status of the foetus is unclear. Whatever the case in individual nations, there is no overall WA law saying it is a person, and no law saying it's not. So putting the proposal into the category that is about "improving the human and civil rights" of a person is accepting the very point that the proposal is trying to establish.

If that's not clear, I'll try another tack. The WA can act "governmentally" on the individual whose body is carrying the foetus, because that person already has a legislative existence as a person. Right now, before your proposal passes, the foetus doesn't. So the WA can't act governmentally -- extending or restricting civil rights -- on it. It's something in a person's body. It doesn't have separate civil rights unless it is legally a separate person. It won't be legally a separate person until your proposal passes. So you can't submit the proposal in a category that presupposes it is a person. SInce there doesn't seem to be any argument that the proposal is about civil rights, that leaves you the category in which the WA can act governmentally by limiting the civil rights of an existing person, the pregnant one.

tl;dr: "Moral Decency" because "Human Rights" jumps the gun.

Re "humans": the above points are diversions to cushion my entry to this bit, where I have to eat crow and reverse my earlier advice about making the proposal more general, less species-specific. I'd completely forgotten Female Genital Mutilation.

As Just Guy and others have pointed out, clauses in that are quite specifically homo sapiens sapiens human, not just "human" in the sense "human may be read in WA legislation as meaning any sapient species". Therefore, precedent says that the GA may legislate on subsets of the international population. Therefore, though it galls me to say it, a specifically human proposal can be written legally. (Note: I'm not saying this one is. As I said earlier, such blanket pre-submission approvals aren't my job.)

I still regard species-specific proposals as unsuitable legislation for a supposedly international body. If anyone's thinking of flooding the list with parallels of existing "physical body" proposals adapted for sapient ursine, cetaceous, macropod, feline, crustacean, arachnid, draconic or other species, don't. I imagine that they would fail to gain delegate approval anyway, owing to their niche status. If necessary, there's the ultimate mod nuke, "unworthy of the WA's attention", though as a player I'd view that as a total cop-out.

Re OOC/IC: I vaguely remember Fris's ruling QoD referenced, but I believe it was in relation to some rule breach -- either a player who habitually switched between IC and OOC to flame and then pretended it was his ambassador being badass, or a player whose RPd comments were so obscure and long-winded they took drafting debates off-topic. I know I wrote posts in drafts IC as Brother Tim of Findhorn. However, I did it consistently -- IC all through the thread -- and Tim didn't "hear" comments he shouldn't have. That ruled out posts such as "this looks illegal to me because of game mechanics or metagaming", which made a reasonable drafting discussion damn difficult, and I eventually gave up. But I'm not going to jump on players who manage to do it successfully, and ascribing other players' OOC posts to "the ambassador for ..." or addressing them as "ambassador" is not going to make the sky fall.

FWIW, anything posted as Ardchoilleans is not a mod ruling because Ardchoilleans is not a mod, and is usually IC.
Last edited by Ardchoille on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 am

Ardchoille wrote:Re "week": since we've already had a ruling on "February" -- that it's legal in proposals -- I don't see why "week" shouldn't be either. The IC version is: the Gnomes translate it into the proper terminology to cover the equivalent period of time for each nation.

Re "what category": "Moral Decency", because this proposal is "a resolution to restrict civil freedoms" for the person bearing the child. I can see why you think "human rights" might apply, via the argument that the foetus is a person, and you are giving that person the right to continue living. However, at this stage of the WA, before your proposal becomes law, the status of the foetus is unclear. Whatever the case in individual nations, there is no overall WA law saying it is a person, and no law saying it's not. So putting the proposal into the category that is about "improving the human and civil rights" of a person is accepting the very point that the proposal is trying to establish.

If that's not clear, I'll try another tack. The WA can act "governmentally" on the individual whose body is carrying the foetus, because that person already has a legislative existence as a person. Right now, before your proposal passes, the foetus doesn't. So the WA can't act governmentally -- extending or restricting civil rights -- on it. It's something in a person's body. It doesn't have separate civil rights unless it is legally a separate person. It won't be legally a separate person until your proposal passes. So you can't submit the proposal in a category that presupposes it is a person. SInce there doesn't seem to be any argument that the proposal is about civil rights, that leaves you the category in which the WA can act governmentally by limiting the civil rights of an existing person, the pregnant one.

tl;dr: "Moral Decency" because "Human Rights" jumps the gun.

Re "humans": the above points are diversions to cushion my entry to this bit, where I have to eat crow and reverse my earlier advice about making the proposal more general, less species-specific. I'd completely forgotten Female Genital Mutilation.

As Just Guy and others have pointed out, clauses in that are quite specifically homo sapiens sapiens human, not just "human" in the sense "human may be read in WA legislation as meaning any sapient species". Therefore, precedent says that the GA may legislate on subsets of the international population. Therefore, though it galls me to say it, a specifically human proposal can be written legally. (Note: I'm not saying this one is. As I said earlier, such blanket pre-submission approvals aren't my job.)

I still regard species-specific proposals as unsuitable legislation for a supposedly international body. If anyone's thinking of flooding the list with parallels of existing "physical body" proposals adapted for sapient ursine, cetaceous, macropod, feline, crustacean, arachnid, draconic or other species, don't. I imagine that they would fail to gain delegate approval anyway, owing to their niche status. If necessary, there's the ultimate mod nuke, "unworthy of the WA's attention", though as a player I'd view that as a total cop-out.

Re OOC/IC: I vaguely remember Fris's ruling QoD referenced, but I believe it was in relation to some rule breach -- either a player who habitually switched between IC and OOC to flame and then pretended it was his ambassador being badass, or a player whose RPd comments were so obscure and long-winded they took drafting debates off-topic. I know I wrote posts in drafts IC as Brother Tim of Findhorn. However, I did it consistently -- IC all through the thread -- and Tim didn't "hear" comments he shouldn't have. That ruled out posts such as "this looks illegal to me because of game mechanics or metagaming", which made a reasonable drafting discussion damn difficult, and I eventually gave up. But I'm not going to jump on players who manage to do it successfully, and ascribing other players' OOC posts to "the ambassador for ..." or addressing them as "ambassador" is not going to make the sky fall.

FWIW, anything posted as Ardchoilleans is not a mod ruling because Ardchoilleans is not a mod, and is usually IC.

Thank you for clarifying the legality issues.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly