NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Cultural Heritage Protection

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Cultural Heritage Protection

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Link for support ==>http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_proposal/start=5

Cultural Heritage Protection

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage

The World Assembly,

APPLAUDING that certain member nations have many historical and artistic artifacts that reflect their heritage;

RECOGNIZING that several of these artifacts could be threatened during conflict;

ACKNOWLEDGES that nations should have the rights and institutions to properly preserve these artifacts;

BELIEVING that preserving these artifacts will allow citizens to further understand their heritage and expand international recognition of culture collectively;

Hereby,

DEFINES an artifact as any item of cultural, historical, or archeological interest to the member nation in question.

DEFINES a cultural heritage site as a area of interest, archeological, historical, or cultural to any member nation within its own jurdisticion.

BANS the destruction, blocking, and looting of cultural heritage sites by member states against other states during times of peace and conflict;

REQUIRES that member states enact and enforce legislation criminalizing the destruction, blocking, and looting of cultural heritage sites by member states citizens against other states;

ESTABLISHES the Cultural Heritage Preservation Committee as a non-profit organization that may assist non-governmental organizations and government agencies overseeing cultural heritage sites upon request;

ENCOURAGES member states to:
a) Make historical artifacts accessible to the public where possible
b) Ensure that where an admission fee exists for a historical monument, they are as reasonable as possible and balanced between the attraction of tourism and the preservation of such monument;
c) Pass on knowledge of the history and the functions of historical artifacts to all interested parties.

Co-written by Charlottle Ryberg
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 34 times in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Re: [Draft] The Preservation of Historical Artifacts and Art

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:57 pm

anyone?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 pm

anybody out there?

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:anybody out there?

OOC: Give it some time. People will respond. I'd take time for a more detailed response, but I'm off for the night.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm

THe UnDelegate came huffing in, completely out of breath. "Oh I have to protest on behalf of the poorer nations of the WA! Like bankrupting them much? Really,..Create an institution? Do you have any idea what a museum costs not only to build, but maintain and to aquire a collection?...You will put poorer nations even deeper into financial trouble!"

"And sold half a million copies? Bushwa! Popularity is not any sort of factor on wether or not art is significant. And many artist rightfull refuse to allow prints or copies of their work. The Mona Lisa's fame is certainly not dependant on how many copies there are!"

He read on and then glared at the representative of Bergnovinaia "More expense for impovrished nations - a good curator is easily worth sixty to seventy thousand a year, and a conservator, one who maintains and repairs? Oh with an adequate staff, why double that!"

"Tour guides? Why most museums I know of rent out headests and ipods down loaded with more information than the vast majority of tour guides could hope to have. Discourse from world renown scholars on the subject that the visitor can play at their pace rather than having to keep up with a guide."

"No this is one I am going to have to oppose, vehemently -besides it runs very much afoul of trying to tell each nation how it has to treat it's past and or culture. A nations culture is it's culture and not part of the WA's purview!"
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Tanaara wrote:THe UnDelegate came huffing in, completely out of breath. "Oh I have to protest on behalf of the poorer nations of the WA! Like bankrupting them much? Really,..Create an institution? Do you have any idea what a museum costs not only to build, but maintain and to aquire a collection?...You will put poorer nations even deeper into financial trouble!"

"And sold half a million copies? Bushwa! Popularity is not any sort of factor on wether or not art is significant. And many artist rightfull refuse to allow prints or copies of their work. The Mona Lisa's fame is certainly not dependant on how many copies there are!"

He read on and then glared at the representative of Bergnovinaia "More expense for impovrished nations - a good curator is easily worth sixty to seventy thousand a year, and a conservator, one who maintains and repairs? Oh with an adequate staff, why double that!"

"Tour guides? Why most museums I know of rent out headests and ipods down loaded with more information than the vast majority of tour guides could hope to have. Discourse from world renown scholars on the subject that the visitor can play at their pace rather than having to keep up with a guide."

"No this is one I am going to have to oppose, vehemently -besides it runs very much afoul of trying to tell each nation how it has to treat it's past and or culture. A nations culture is it's culture and not part of the WA's purview!"

Your points are well taken honored ambassador. Thus, I have added in a cluase that impoverished nations do not need to build said institutions unless they get funding from other nations. Also, the point is not trying to teach each nation how to treat their past. It's trying to help them preserve it. I don't think you'll get my point though.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:43 pm

The Seishin no Ryuu delegate enters the room. "I believe this is just what the World Assembly needs," he states calmly. "In the Empire of Seishin no Ryuu, history, culture, and art are highly valued," he finishes.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:The Seishin no Ryuu delegate enters the room. "I believe this is just what the World Assembly needs," he states calmly. "In the Empire of Seishin no Ryuu, history, culture, and art are highly valued," he finishes.

Thank you honored delegate.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:The Seishin no Ryuu delegate enters the room. "I believe this is just what the World Assembly needs," he states calmly. "In the Empire of Seishin no Ryuu, history, culture, and art are highly valued," he finishes.

"I should be thanking you for such a wonderful proposal," he says.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

Do you see any changes that I need?

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:[quote="Bergnovinaia"

Do you see any changes that I need?[/quote]

No, but I do have some questions, will the institution charge admission to the public? If so, how will the funds be distributed?

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:[quote="Bergnovinaia"

No, but I do have some questions, will the institution charge admission to the public? If so, how will the funds be distributed?[/quote]

Excellent question! I think that the admission should be a reasonable amount but I'll leave that up to the member nations and the funds should go to the employees. If there is any left over it may be spent any way the government wishes.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

No, but I do have some questions, will the institution charge admission to the public? If so, how will the funds be distributed?

Excellent question! I think that the admission should be a reasonable amount but I'll leave that up to the member nations and the funds should go to the employees. If there is any left over it may be spent any way the government wishes.

I was thinking the same thing. That would also help those nations who have a struggling economy.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Hence it would actually help struggling nations making it a good proposal. (This is provided that the funds=more than the salary of the employees.)

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Hence it would actually help struggling nations making it a good proposal. (This is provided that the funds=more than the salary of the employees.)

That's true, I believe that with sufficiently entertaining and relevant exhibits, there will be more than enough. The institutions will be a regular place for school field trips, and other things of that sort, you see.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:Hence it would actually help struggling nations making it a good proposal. (This is provided that the funds=more than the salary of the employees.)

That's true, I believe that with sufficiently entertaining and relevant exhibits, there will be more than enough. The institutions will be a regular place for school field trips, and other things of that sort, you see.

Indeed. I'm logging off now so check back in with this proposal tomorrow.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:

Indeed. I'm logging off now so check back in with this proposal tomorrow.

I will talk to you tomorrow

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 pm

As our people believe in the value of culture, heritage and history, we can support this proposal.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Given that any WA resolution is Mandatory, poor nations would still have to comply. I think this proposal would bring far greater harm that it would benefit."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 pm

The preservation of history and culture is always beneficial. Are you trying to argue that because a nation may not be rich, it has no culture worth preserving?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:24 am

This is a proposal that we will support. In fact, our gouvernment has already done this.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 am

Tanaara wrote:Given that any WA resolution is Mandatory, poor nations would still have to comply. I think this proposal would bring far greater harm that it would benefit."

A clause could perhaps be added allowing those nations that really can't afford this to apply for WA assistance with the funding?

One problem that hasn't been raised so far: When this proposal requires that nations create the institutions in question, it fails to consider whether they might already possess suitable institutions and therefore have no actual need for new ones...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:24 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Tanaara wrote:Given that any WA resolution is Mandatory, poor nations would still have to comply. I think this proposal would bring far greater harm that it would benefit."

A clause could perhaps be added allowing those nations that really can't afford this to apply for WA assistance with the funding?

One problem that hasn't been raised so far: When this proposal requires that nations create the institutions in question, it fails to consider whether they might already possess suitable institutions and therefore have no actual need for new ones...

You're right and I will adress both of those issues.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am

bump

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 am

OOC: There is not need to bump to often, ambassadors take time think a lot.

IC: It may be possible to suggest that the Area of Effect should be Cultural Heritage, but section 1d should also allow for free entry if considered by the museums themselves. It is important that this draft improves cultural heritage without going too deep into the museum's management.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly