NATION

PASSWORD

Private Sector and SOE

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Roman-Britannic Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Private Sector and SOE

Postby Roman-Britannic Empire » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I want to have both private sector and SOEs inside my country. Can someone tell me how to do so? I've gotten suggestions in the past, but they never worked. All I've ever gotten was "figure it out yourself" which I've been failing at for 5 months now, please have mercy and tell me.

Egyptian Pharocracy
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Egyptian Pharocracy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:32 am

Roman-Britannic Empire wrote:I want to have both private sector and SOEs inside my country. Can someone tell me how to do so? I've gotten suggestions in the past, but they never worked. All I've ever gotten was "figure it out yourself" which I've been failing at for 5 months now, please have mercy and tell me.

I just recently answered a batch of issues on one of my puppets, and when I finished and looked at my economy chart, I suddenly had a slice for State Owned Industries where I had not before. (It's a relatively new nation, so it was easy to see the sudden change.)

I *think* it was Issue No. 264 that did it: "Not A Drop To Drink" and I picked "Option 2", import water from other nations in the region.

https://nsindex.net/wiki/NationStates_Issue_No._264

It raised: Business Subsidization, Taxation, and Industry: Beverage Sales, among other stats. So the "Business Subsidization" may have been what did it?

It wasn't much, only a 0.8% slice, but it's something, and a lot more than "zero" which is what it was before.

Malaguenia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Malaguenia » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 pm

SOE's seem to be influenced by economic freedom: below 50 SOE's start to increase, while above 50, they are absent.
I don't use NS Stats, but if the stats make sense for my nation then go ahead and stop complaining about the fake taxes
Pro: Punishing corporations that commit crimes, Nuclear Power, , Switzerland, Science, Singapore's cleanliness and conduct policies, Space exploration, Cultural nationalism, moderate capitalism

Anti: , Mass immigration/refugees, Justin Trudeau, Diesel in cars, Equal wages, Crony capitalism Welfare for lazy people, Artificial additives, EU, Bombing Countries Without a good reason, Chavs, Jeremy Corbyn, Internet Surveillance, Regressive Leftism, Safe Spaces, Pseudoscience, Hillary Clinton, Hard-drugs, Bill Nye, Non-binary genders,
Antifa
Economic 1.63
Social -2.87
Looking for a MT region that has good detailed map and friendly players? Then try Greater Olympus

Roman-Britannic Empire
Spokesperson

Postby Roman-Britannic Empire » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Nope, I know you can get a mix of them and it's not pure economic freedom since Private Enterprises can be absent in Capitalist Paradises and Anarchies

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Roman-Britannic Empire wrote:Nope, I know you can get a mix of them and it's not pure economic freedom since Private Enterprises can be absent in Capitalist Paradises and Anarchies

The game treats economic freedom really weirdly. If you have a positive score, private enterprise is legal and if you have a negative score, private enterprise is illegal. However, calculating government categories uses a low/medium/high system that disregards whether private enterprise is legal or not. If you have a negative score, add 100 to it and that's what the game sees when determining government categories. For example, if you have a negative score close to 0, the game treats it as being high freedoms even though private enterprise is illegal.

So in this case, if medium to low economic freedom is needed, it probably means somewhere between 50 and 0, but no lower than 0 as you'd no longer have private enterprise.
See You Space Cowboy...

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm

State-Owned Enterprises can occur alongside private industry in nations that have a market-based economy that is moderately to heavily regulated. In rankings terms, they must sit between 0 and 50 on the Rand Index. Like Testlandia here:

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=tes ... ensusid=48

If your Rand Index is 50+, you are too pro-market for state-owned industry. If you're below 0, you've outlawed capitalism and won't have any private industry.

From your Economic Freedom history, it seems that you have bounced between the two, so you need to enable a market-based economy but regulate it more.

Roman-Britannic Empire
Spokesperson

Private Sector and SOE

Postby Roman-Britannic Empire » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:49 am

Am I the only person here for whom the acronym 'SOE' conjures up a completely different meaning?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Am I the only person here for whom the acronym 'SOE' conjures up a completely different meaning?

No. I think of the club from Madagascar that once lost a game 149-0.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical