NATION

PASSWORD

Minor Holds Town to Ransom [SUBMITTED]

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Minor Holds Town to Ransom [SUBMITTED]

Postby TurtleShroom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Okay, this is what happens if you watch to much television at night. For those of you who have heard of the television series, Making Fiends, you're going to love this.

For the rest of you, here's a basic rundown of the Issue.

What if, like it so commonly happens in fiction, an underaged villain- a child or teenager, per say -somehow seizes power and enough force to take over an area? That's the basic premise here: an evil child has, through various means of dishonorable and unlikely ideas, taken over a small town and is oppressing its citizenry.

This Issue will deal with things such as youth's rights and private military contractors.

---------------

ISSUE NAME: Minor Holds Town to Ransom

DESCRIPTION: Several years ago, a small municipality deep in the rural parts of @@NAME@@ was, beyond all reason, taken over by a young girl who goes by the name "Bloodfeud Winfrey", primarily by hiring private military contractors to do her bidding. Miss Winfrey has recently blocked all incoming and outcoming trade to her controlled territory, and as the inhabitants quake in fear of Bloodfued's oppression, they call out to the @@NAME@@ government to set them free.

VALIDITY: Valid for any nation with private industry, with a healthy Arms Manufacturing sector and/or lax gun laws, without parental licensing, and with a good-sized defense spending budget. Not valid for nations that have somehow banned private military contractors or guns. Issue is more likely to obtain if "Rebellious Youth" is high. Not valid for those who, in the "Who's to Blame for Minor Crimes" Issue, chose to incarcerate the children (Option One in that). Not valid for nations without a standing army.

THE ISSUE:
[option]"Oh @@LEADER@@, I beseech you!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, a victim of Bloodfued's reign. "We are at the mercy of some eleven year old girl, just because she has enough @@CURRENCY@@s to hire some private, heartless soldiers! We want to be able to move in and out of town, to trade, to have jobs... please, send in the army and take Bloodfued out! Lock the brat in jail and throw away the key!"
[effects]the government has forcefully liberated a rural village from the PMC-based tyranny of a young girl
[stats]defense up, rebellious youth down, prison up, nation becomes more extreme, compassion way up (government cares enough to free a small town), slight tax up, youth's rights down, prison sentances for minors up

[option]"...-but Bloodfued's just a little girl! A helpless, spiteful little girl who attacks her neighbors because she had a bad life." laments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bleeding heart social worker. "Miss Winfrey's agression and hate is not her fault, it's her raising! Oh, if only you could find it within you to reach into your coffers and increase welfare spending, we can make sure that no child will ever again end up like poor little Bloodfued! She's only a kid! Have a heart!"
[effects]the government is pouring money into child support programs to prevent children from "turning evil"
[stats]Social Welfare skyrockets, taxes up, compassion up, rebellious youth way down, crime slightly down

[options]"Oh, must you always suck out the wallets of the common @@NAME@@er?!" moans @@RANDOMNAME@@, a public spending hater and part-time civil rights activist. "Sending the army to stop a little girl? Spending barrels of @@CURRENCY@@s to tell parents how to raise their kids? Gah, what a waste! You know what? Bloodfued got into power, and it's not right to waste money getting her out. Besides, if anything, the kid should be hailed for not letting age get her down. Miss Winfrey used force because there's no proper way for a minor to get involved in government. I suggest that you lower the age of office so that our youth can get their shot. I bet it'll keep them off the streets! With legal methods, I'm sure Bloodfued would willingly step down from power and run for power correctly!"
[effects]@@CAPITAL@@'s newest city councilman is but thirteen years old
[stats]civil rights way up, government waste way up, Administration up, rebellious youth up, political freedoms up, corruption down, taxes up, voting age down

[option]"The problem isn't Bloodfued, it's her minions!" states Captain @@NAME@@, of your coast gaurd. "What ever happened to monopolization of force? That little brat couldn't have taken over the city if she hadn't hired those fiendish private military contractors! Abolish all private mercenaries! Only @@NAME@@'s Finest should have the right to use force like that! Without PMCs, Bloodfued's power will crumble!"
[effects]all private military contractors have been banished from the country
[stats]commerce hit, economy slightly down, defense down, economic freedoms down, safety up, rebellious youth down

[option]Lastly, Bloodfeud herself walks in and points at you. "You stupid politician!" she shouts in a strange accent, "You are obviously seeing it all wrong! See how I keep my town in line! Not one of my people commits a crime, not one ever dares even litter! The soldiers make sure of this! See the efficiency of my army, the perfect order and low cost it takes to maintain them! It's cheaper and puts people under your feet! You should follow in my footsteps. Hand law enforcement over to me and my fiends, and you will never see crime again! GWA HA HA HA HA!! Say no, and... well, I think you'll make the right choice." Bloodfeud then gestures to a soldier, before smirking at you. "Besides, I'm sure your people will enjoy the HUGE tax break it'll give them."
[effects]an extremely efficient and zealous police force is dictated by a fiendish little girl
[stats]crime greatly slashed, police up, Law and Order up, taxes greatly slashed, nation becomes far more extreme, Rebellious Youth up, safety up, Defense up, corruption up, Arms Manufacturing up, Most Avoided up, nation falls (partially) to martial law, civil rights down, economy up, economic freedoms down, political freedoms down, compassion down, nice citizens down, government waste down. government becomes more efficient, youth rights slightly up

Everyone needs a funny Issue now and then.

:D
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:24 am

Since Bloodfued is dictating many decisions in choice five (as opposed to, say, referendums) -- and people politically opposed to her have a high chance of "accidents" -- shouldn't that cause political freedoms to go down quite a bit?
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:10 am

South Lorenya wrote:Since Bloodfued is dictating many decisions in choice five (as opposed to, say, referendums) -- and people politically opposed to her have a high chance of "accidents" -- shouldn't that cause political freedoms to go down quite a bit?

True. I'll fix that.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Eetich
Civilian

Founded: Jul 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eetich » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Jeez. Number 5 is pretty good. It raises almost everything but i still dont like the idea of a kid ruling over me. Not cool. But hey this is only a game.Hehehe.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:40 pm

YESSSSS.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey, this is like that wierd edition government decision thread you posted in factbooks, can't think of any way to improve this issue
Last edited by Mushet on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Return to Got Issues?