NATION

PASSWORD

Of Artefacts and Antiquities WB Thread

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pine Shadow
Attaché

Founded: Aug 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pine Shadow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Tagged until I get some sleep. I like this idea a lot.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Later i will possibly add character apps for perusal and possibly add more general magic tools. Any questions so far?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 pm

WB Artifact App:
Artifact Name: The Viktolian Compendium
Type: Artefact
Mass produced?: No
Effect:
    Contains esoteric knowledge for the evocation of eldritch entities. At the same time, however, extended usage can cause a slow descent into insanity. Humans are easily mutated by the effects of the entities being invoked.
Artifact history:
    Historians bicker about the exact origins of the Compendium, though it is generally understood that it was first written during the Achaemenid Persian Empire, just prior to the accession of King Darius I. According to accounts, it was used by Gaumata, who ascended the throne under the guise of one of the sons of Cyrus II. He was heavily associated with a cult worshipping a deity often referred to as "The Black King", though there has been little confirmation that said deity exists in this reality. Worship of this entity can be traced to the Neolithic Era, however the writing of the Compendium led to a boon in occult worship among pre-industrial societies. After Darius I ascended the throne and the usurpers were executed, the only copy of the Compendium vanished from history. Reports have been found that it surfaced in Egypt, Athens, the Kievan Rus, and eventually Middle Europe.

It remained in the possession of smaller cults until the year 1346, when it's usage by a small pagan organization indirectly led to the spread of the Black Death. The Compendium was lost once more, as the Black Death ravaged Europe, killing millions. Even during the chaos, however, some believed that the book still had a small following.

Death and destruction followed the Compendium until it ended up in France, during the First World War. It is still not understood how the book ended up there, only that it had left a trail of victims across Europe. The Germans called it a "Demon Book", and recovered documents indicate their intention to gift it to the Allied forces to sabotage their war effort. Their plan failed, and the subsequent events leading to Wilbur Derleth's possession of the Compendium are difficult to ascertain. What can be certain is that, upon discovering the trench where the book had been contained, the German Field Marshall reportedly vomited profusely for several hours, and would later leave his position to die a penniless alcoholic. Similar stories can be found in the men forced to clean up the mess left behind, which would eventually be buried after French forces overran the position. It is said, though not corroborated that, even today, no plants will grow on that patch of earth.

While the Derleth family remains in possession of the only known anomalous copy of the Compendium, it's text is easily available to the general public, though it remains disguised as fiction.
Country/Mythology of origin: Achaemenid Persian Empire / ...My own mythology?
Enhance-able: Yes
Clues: Not Applicable.
Attached Image:

Shadowwell wrote:Later i will possibly add character apps for perusal and possibly add more general magic tools. Any questions so far?

Character apps would certainly be helpful.
Last edited by New Grestin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:16 pm

I do need to add an image bit to the apps,

Other apps will ne up later

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Max Empire
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Max Empire » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:28 pm

WB Artifact App:
Appearance:

Artifact Name:
The Book of The Erythraean Sibyl (One of the three Sibylline Books)
Type:
Artifact
Mass produced?:
No
Effect:
The Sibylline Books were prophetic books that hold the future. Throughout Roman rulers often sought the advice of the books, and the ones that ignored that advice..... Usually ended dead, or worse.
Artifact history:
Originally written during the Reign of Cyrus The Great (Reign: 559–530 BC) on Mount Ida just southwest of Troy by the Hellespontine Sibyl. According to legend, the collection of books ended up in Cumae in possession of the Cumaean Sibyl.

The Cumaean Sibyl offered the nine books of prophecies to Tarquinius Superbus, the last king of Rome. The king declined to purchase them, owing to the exorbitant price she demanded, she burned three and offered the remaining six to Tarquinius at the same stiff price, which he again refused, whereupon she burned three more and repeated her offer. Tarquinius then relented and purchased the last three at the full original price and had them preserved in a vault beneath the Capitoline temple of Jupiter.

They remained there until Augustus as Pontifex Maximus transferred them to the temple of Apollo Patrous on the Palatine, after they had been examined and copied 12 BC,; there they remained until about AD 405. According to the poet Rutilius Claudius Namatianus, the general Flavius Stilicho (died AD 408) burned them, as they were being used to attack his government. Some of the original books and several (weaker copies) survived the fire and were hidden away by some of their caretakers, who refused the order to burn them.

One of the books was apparently seen by Michaelangelo as he painted an example of one on The Ceiling of The Sistine Chapel in the period of 1505–12.

Country/Mythology of origin:
Roman/Greek
Enhance-able:
In the hands of Oracles and those with the power of Foresight can predict the future with almost complete accuracy.
Clues:
Faint Whispers can be heard when in close proximity to the book

I also wanted to know if I would be allowed to create a character that is a member of The Museum? Maybe some kind of character that sees himself as a curator of sorts for artifacts that thinks they should be kept away from others and put away safely.
Economic Left/Right: 2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44
23 year old Pansexual Swiss Male from Switzerland, loves history, economics and politics

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Max empire wrote:
WB Artifact App:
Appearance:
(Image)

Artifact Name:
Type:
Artifact
Mass produced?:
No
Effect:
The Sibylline Books were prophetic books that hold the future. Throughout Roman rulers often sought the advice of the books, and the ones that ignored that advice..... Usually ended dead, or worse.
Artifact history:
Originally written during the Reign of Cyrus The Great (Reign: 559–530 BC) on Mount Ida just southwest of Troy by the Hellespontine Sibyl. According to legend, the collection of books ended up in Cumae in possession of the Cumaean Sibyl.

The Cumaean Sibyl offered the nine books of prophecies to Tarquinius Superbus, the last king of Rome. The king declined to purchase them, owing to the exorbitant price she demanded, she burned three and offered the remaining six to Tarquinius at the same stiff price, which he again refused, whereupon she burned three more and repeated her offer. Tarquinius then relented and purchased the last three at the full original price and had them preserved in a vault beneath the Capitoline temple of Jupiter.

They remained there until Augustus as Pontifex Maximus transferred them to the temple of Apollo Patrous on the Palatine, after they had been examined and copied 12 BC,; there they remained until about AD 405. According to the poet Rutilius Claudius Namatianus, the general Flavius Stilicho (died AD 408) burned them, as they were being used to attack his government. Some of the original books and several (weaker copies) survived the fire and were hidden away by some of their caretakers, who refused the order to burn them.

One of the books was apparently seen by Michaelangelo as he painted an example of one on The Ceiling of The Sistine Chapel in the period of 1505–12.

Roman/Greek
Enhance-able:
In the hands of Oracles and those with the power of Foresight can predict the future with almost complete accuracy.
Clues:

I also wanted to know if I would be allowed to create a character that is a member of The Museum? Maybe some kind of character that sees himself as a curator of sorts for artifacts that thinks they should be kept away from others and put away safely.

I like the Artefact.

The only playable groups will be The Museum and the Task Force of the Two Councils. I was actually going to make a Character called the Curator. That will be the purpose of the Museum as a whole. Apps will be out within the hour, they won't be in code though, in case i need to change them.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:04 pm

So, I added the Magical Tools to the Info posts, on the 1st page. I also edited the two apps in the OP, temp character apps are below, they will be further edited if anyone has good ideas and then bolded and put in code.

(non)Magical Human App: (Delete Most in Parenthesis)
Name:
Personality:
Affiliation: (The Museum or one of the Councils. If a Council Specify which)
Bloodline: (type of Bloodline and from what being, Not applicable for normal humans)
Abilities: (Bloodline and non-bloodline abilities)
Weaknesses:
Skills: (mundane skills not granted or enhanced by the bloodline)
Equipment:
-Optional-
Likes/Dislikes:
Theme Song:
Fears:
#OAaA 1223(For Tracking Do not Remove)

Non Human App:
Name:
Race: (What type of being are you)
Appearance: (Description or Image, include multiple if they have different forms)
Personality:
Affiliation: (The Museum or one of the Councils. If a Council Specify which)
Abilities:
Weaknesses: (Power related and otherwise, There being a stronger being is not applicable as that is common sense.)
Skills:
Equipment:
-Optional-
Likes/Dislikes:
Theme Song:
Fears:
#OAaA 1224(For Tracking Do not Remove)

Pine Shadow
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pine Shadow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Max empire wrote:
WB Artifact App:
Appearance:
(Image)

Artifact Name:
Type:
Artifact
Mass produced?:
No
Effect:
Artifact history:

Roman/Greek
Enhance-able:
Clues:

I like the Artefact.

The only playable groups will be The Museum and the Task Force of the Two Councils. I was actually going to make a Character called the Curator. That will be the purpose of the Museum as a whole. Apps will be out within the hour, they won't be in code though, in case i need to change them.

Could I make a character called the Docent who assists the curator in maintaining the physical museum while also running "errands?" Funnily enough I had this idea before you posted about the Curator. I just wanna be a magical tour guide.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Pine Shadow wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:I like the Artefact.

Could I make a character called the Docent who assists the curator in maintaining the physical museum while also running "errands?" Funnily enough I had this idea before you posted about the Curator. I just wanna be a magical tour guide.

Possibly, see, the Museums actual interior would be in a separate dimensional plane. The only outside entrance is in a Store (run by the Museums employees in their downtime) Called Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, located in a London Back Alley. Most of the players with the Museum will be running errands so to speak, but mostly as a team, that would be an important position and i don't know you well enough to allow that at this moment.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Shadowwell wrote:Possibly, see, the Museums actual interior would be in a separate dimensional plane. The only outside entrance is in a Store (run by the Museums employees in their downtime) Called Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, located in a London Back Alley. Most of the players with the Museum will be running errands so to speak, but mostly as a team, that would be an important position and i don't know you well enough to allow that at this moment.

Speaking of things that have nothing to do with this.

*cough*
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:42 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Possibly, see, the Museums actual interior would be in a separate dimensional plane. The only outside entrance is in a Store (run by the Museums employees in their downtime) Called Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, located in a London Back Alley. Most of the players with the Museum will be running errands so to speak, but mostly as a team, that would be an important position and i don't know you well enough to allow that at this moment.

Speaking of things that have nothing to do with this.

*cough*

I saw, ya damn Grestin, I just havent decided where i am putting accepted artifacts yet.

Pine Shadow
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Pine Shadow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Pine Shadow wrote:

Possibly, see, the Museums actual interior would be in a separate dimensional plane. The only outside entrance is in a Store (run by the Museums employees in their downtime) Called Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, located in a London Back Alley. Most of the players with the Museum will be running errands so to speak, but mostly as a team, that would be an important position and i don't know you well enough to allow that at this moment.

Absolutely fair! I might just make two apps, one in the character I'm thinking and another in a more traditional character and see what you think. If that's ok.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Shadowwell wrote:I saw, ya damn Grestin, I just havent decided where i am putting accepted artifacts yet.

Consider yourself lucky I haven't started working on my character application yet.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Pine Shadow wrote:

Absolutely fair! I might just make two apps, one in the character I'm thinking and another in a more traditional character and see what you think. If that's ok.

That will be fine.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:36 am

Major Magical Family App:
Family Name: Messer
Family Logo/Sigil: Not applicable
Country of Origin: Germany
Family Head: Kim Messer
Notable Members: Karl Messer (deceased, the man who made the pact with the demon), Bernhard Messer (deceased, the offspring of Karl and the demon's daughter), Kim Messer (current head of the family).
Family Bloodline: The bloodline is recent and wild. The Messers descend from demons of a kind similar to the mythical succubi/incubi.
Family Magic: Manipulation of fire, seduction, and the ability to change form into something their "victim" finds attractive.
Family History: Karl Messer was a young man in Germany when the Nazis rose to power. Like so many, he was swayed by Hitler's charisma and lies, and volunteered to join the SS when he came of age. That was in August 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II. Again, like so many, he hailed the war with joy. Something he soon would regret.

In Karl's unit, there was a soldier named Kazimir Gruber. He was a bit odd, with a strange fascination for the occult, but Karl and him still became friends. They fought together, believing in the ultimate victory and the end of Stalin's tyranny. But the tide of the war turned, as you all know. Karl's unit was nearly completely annihilated, and Kazimir and Karl, the only survivors, fled into the woods. Being taken as POW:s was not an opton. Soldiers of the SS were immediately executed by the reds, just as the Germans immediately executed NKVD soldiers.

Kazimir was heavily wounded, and died later in Karl's arms. Karl was of course devasteaded, but if he was to survive, he had no choice but to put his feelings aside and loot the corpse of his dear friend. That's when he made the discovery. In Kazimir's pocket, there was an old document describing how to summon demons. Karl had never believed in such nonsense, and neither had Kazimir fully done either, even if the subject had fascinated him extremely. But now... Well, what was left to loose?

To his great surprise, the ritual worked. Karl summoned the demon and made a deal with him. He didn't sell his soul, but had to agree to father a human-demonic bloodline, if he was to survive the war. In the state he was in, he accepted it without too much hesitation. But he had to swear a blood oath. The demon would not just take his word for it, seeing as he just had broken his oath to the Führer. Fair enough. The demon had a point in that. And so the deal was made.

Karl, now alone, continued on his way through the thick Russian forests, trying to get back to the ever retreating German lines. However, general Winter, Stalin's greatest ally, had other plans. The freezing temperature of the taiga was ruthless, and Karl nearly froze to death one night. He was saved by the demon's daughter, who came to him in his hour of need to warm him, console him, and make sure that both parties held their part of the deal. It was a night Karl never would forget.

He survived the war, and went home to a defeated Berlin in ruins. He tried to make ends meet in various ways, until the demon and his daughter one day unexpectedly payed him a visit. With them they had a little boy, Karl's and the demon daughter's son, who they left to Karl to raise on his own. They also reminded him about the contract. He, and the boy, were bound by it. And if they didn't fulfill it, well, who knew what "accidents" awaited?

Not that the demons had to worry. Bernhard (as Karl named the boy) had the same demonic lust as his mother and grandfather, and fathered many children, both in and out of wedlock. Karl and Bernhard are now dead, but the Messer family is still strong and flourishing.
Notable Magics: As of yet to see. The bloodline is still new, and so far no unexpected magic has been seen.

WB Artifact App:
Artifact Name: The Blood Dagger
Appearance:

Type: Antiquity
Mass produced?: No (well, the unenchanted version was, but you know what I mean)
Effect: Apart from enhancing the magical abilities the bearer already has, the dagger can also be used to communicate with the ancestors of the Messer family, humans and demons alike. How far back depends on how strong magic the user wields, and if strong enough, the spirits can even be summoned, though only for a short time.

The Messers, due to their blood being linked to the artefact, can feel when the dagger is near, or when it has gone amiss (such as now).
Artifact history: When Karl Messer used the dagger to swear his blood oath to the demon, it was infused with the diabolical magic of said demon. It served Karl well for the duration of the war, and for the rest of his life too. His son, Bernhard, got to inherit it after Karl death. He didn't feel attached to the dagger in the same way as his father. On the contrary, he felt that his forefathers could be a real pain in the ass when they constantly tried to intervene in his life, something that Bernhard, a very independent soul, didn't appreciate the least. Another reason that he didn't like it was because, well, it was a bloody SS dagger! Not something you could flaunt with in the new Germany...

So he sold it to a collector, who in turn sold it to another man, who gave it to the museum for safekeeping, and it's been there since then. However, it seems to recently have gone missing...
Country/Mythology of origin: Germany
Enhance-able: Yes
Clues: Although it appears to be just like any other SS dagger to the common eye, it has a certain glowing, bluish aura noticeable for magical beings, including humans belonging to a bloodline.
Last edited by Kinky Bastards on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:05 am

Looking good so far KB

Lombardia Imperium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lombardia Imperium » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Tag, I also have an idea for an artifact and Bloodline. :)
Last Edited by Joseph Stalin on 22 June, 1941 edited 2 times in total

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:05 pm

So does anyone have anything to add, i was thinking of putting a thing of the basic common supernatural beings. It ould just be generally, as with the return of magic more beings have started to show back up.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Shadowwell wrote:So does anyone have anything to add, i was thinking of putting a thing of the basic common supernatural beings. It ould just be generally, as with the return of magic more beings have started to show back up.

I'm pretty much spent at this point.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:32 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:So does anyone have anything to add, i was thinking of putting a thing of the basic common supernatural beings. It ould just be generally, as with the return of magic more beings have started to show back up.

I'm pretty much spent at this point.

Ok, I will probably be rying to put up the OOC within the next 14 days, possibly, as my Gotham rp seems to be crawling out of the coroners office.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:45 pm

I'll finish my apps when I get proper access to a computer, I've been stuck with just my phone for the last few days.

Aghrabia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aghrabia » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:41 am

I know I said I wasn't going to join this RP, but I might as well, seeing I haven't really got anything to do. I'm working on some apps right now- and when I say some apps I mean more that a few.
Deus Vult, Infidel!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:57 am

That will be fine Aghra, i was planning on doing the same before i put the OOC up.

The Land of Golden Blobfish
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Tagged. I'm getting a pretty good vibe from this
BOSS NASS : Yousa cannot bees hair. Dis army of mackineeks up dare tis new
weesong!
QUI-GON : That droid army is about to attack the Naboo. We must warn them.
BOSS NASS : Wesa no like da Naboo! Un dey no like uss-ens. Da Naboo tink
day so smarty den us-ens. Day tink day brains so big.
OBI-WAN : After those droids take control of the surface, they will come
here and take control of you.
BOSS NASS : No, mesa no tink so. Mesa scant talkie witda Naboo, and no
nutten talkie it outlaunders. Dos mackineeks no comen here! Dey not know of
uss-en.
OBI-WAN : You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to noe of
you will affect the other. You must understand this.
BOSS NASS : Wesa wish no nutten in yousa tings, outlaunder, and wesa no
care-n about da Naboo.

Shark isle
Senator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shark isle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Is it okay if i make an Artefact of Polynesian origin?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse