NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Persecution? You Can't Be Serious

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:33 pm

New confederate ramenia wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:Well Christians actually are getting persecuted, so...

Not in most of the US, but yeah...

That means the title is moot or at best inadequate.

You have failed at every stage of this mission OP. Your only chance to redeem yourself is to obey this simple order. You are to leave the cluster to grow it will tear apart the earth, and I will take immense satisfaction in erasing that hideous rock off of our star maps. Is that Clear!
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Godular wrote:
Reagan-land wrote:
I would flip two shits

And I would revel in the irony.

Given paganism doesn't exist I fail to see the irony.

Nothing more than a buzzword perverted from its original meaning of country dweller.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Faustian Fantasies wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:Let;s see:
1. We're not allowed to pray in school
2. We're not allowed to speak of God unless it is in context of the subject
3. Schools (public) are not allowed to say 'Merry Christmas', even when they are allowed to say 'Happy Hanukkah'
4. COMPLETE separation of church and state, which is good, until you remove all signs of a religion like 'In God we trust' or 'One nation, under God'
5. Many other reasons and people like you complaining

5 isn't a real reason. 3 is blatantly false. 4 only applied to public areas.

1 isn't true. You just aren't allowed to have school led prayer. And 2 isn't true either. You're allowed to talk about your religious faith as much as you want. In fact, people at my school pass out Bibles and there are extensive religiously based clubs.

Hell, my university openly allows Diet Westboro to "protest" on campus. They're notorious at my school for shouting at students who are simply trying to walk to their classes, that they're going to hell, even if they proclaim to be Christians, shouting "WHORE!" at any girl wearing pants or shorts, etc. Then when people counterprotest, they take pictures of it, post it on line, and then go on and on about how it proves they're being persecuted.

Last I checked, persecuted people aren't allowed to talk about how much they're being persecuted. That's kind of the fucking point of persecution.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

It happens, sometimes, in some places. It's just that the ones who scream about it usually consider them not being allowed to persecute someone else as someone else persecuting them.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

The Portland Territory wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:Yes, you aren't allowed, it's called secularism. Neither can Muslims, Jews, Buddhists. Yes, you can say Merry Christmas.

No, it's called EXTREME secularism. That's France instituted in the early 1900s. And really? Jews have such a HUGE lobby in Washington that they secured the right to call people Gentiles. Muslims: People are so worried about 'discriminating' Muslims because of everything happening in the Middle East, so they can say what they want.

If you're really being persecuted, how come you're still able to complain about how much you're being persecuted? Shouldn't you be afraid of the FBI knocking down your door to ship you off to a FEMA concentration camp?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Reagan-land wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:People get so mad when people say Happy Holidays insted of Merry Christmas. But that is just hypocrisy at its best. What if some Muslims got mad at you for not saying "happy Eid?" Would you defend them?

Well America is almost entirely Christian, so if I was a muslims I wouldn't care, just as I wouldn't care if I was in a muslim nation and they were saying happy eid. I'm in a country where I compose roughly one or two perrent of the population, I wouldn't make a fuss about it, but that's just me

America is founded on principles of inclusion, not exclusion. We include minorities here. That's what makes us great.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Grenartia wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:No, it's called EXTREME secularism. That's France instituted in the early 1900s. And really? Jews have such a HUGE lobby in Washington that they secured the right to call people Gentiles. Muslims: People are so worried about 'discriminating' Muslims because of everything happening in the Middle East, so they can say what they want.

If you're really being persecuted, how come you're still able to complain about how much you're being persecuted? Shouldn't you be afraid of the FBI knocking down your door to ship you off to a FEMA concentration camp?

Needs more ghettos before transfer to concentration camps.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:54 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Needs more ghettos before transfer to concentration camps.

After all, we've gotta give them the chance to burn their bibles for warmth.

Tsalkha
Attaché

Founded: Jan 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsalkha » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 pm

My wife moved to Georgia (the country, where I am from) from Syria. Her family were members of the Syriac Orthodox Church (Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch), and she said they had felt actual fear of persecution due to the area they lived in being predominantly Muslim. Persecution against Christians is a serious topic, just as persecution against Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. would be. Now, the OP seems to mean only in the US, in which case I am likely to agree, American Christians most likely aren't persecuted, and if they are, it isn't to the extent as in other areas. However, I have a problem with the thread's title, since it seems to dismiss persecution against Christians, regardless of area, as a false statement.
Georgian

Notre Roi
Attaché

Founded: Jan 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Notre Roi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

I am a white christian male, and I have been constantly told that I am a racist, that I support slavery, that I and anti-science, and that I am anti-LGBT just by being a white christian male.

My Irish-Italian family immigrated from both countries in the 20's. I have never held slaves. That had been abolished long ago, and if my family had the money to buy slaves, we sure as hell wouldn't have had to immigrate.

I'm not a goddamn racist. I was raised in New York City, where I was among people of all ethnicities, as my parents were before me. I'm not a racist.

The italian side of my family came from Naples, one of the patron cities of St. Thomas Aquinas. St. Thomas Aquinas was famous for his theology, in which he said that God created science. I mean seriously, if thousands of years ago, God tried to explain quantum physics to the Jews, do you think anyone would understand it? Be logical, people.

And I swear to God, I'm not homophobic. I'm straight.

Everyone is persecuted to some extent. It's human nature. People think all asians are smart, all blacks are criminals, all hispanics are illegal immigrants, and all whites are Neo-nazis. The difference is, people are now beginning to find racism against those other races offensive, and so have now begun placing the blame on that of white people.

If I had a nickle for every time somebody told me to kill myself for being white, I'd have more money than Donald Trump.

So, my kind sir, please be more aware of who's getting persecuted, and then rethink your statement.
*_ The Empire of Notre Roi *_
NEWS: Painting of The Battle of South Genese Found in Cascadia
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69
Quotes:
  • "I don't want to go anywhere with you." -Kannap
Sadly, I think Trump is the best we can do.

Dragonia Re Xzua
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonia Re Xzua » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Tsalkha wrote:My wife moved to Georgia (the country, where I am from) from Syria. Her family were members of the Syriac Orthodox Church (Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch), and she said they had felt actual fear of persecution due to the area they lived in being predominantly Muslim. Persecution against Christians is a serious topic, just as persecution against Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. would be. Now, the OP seems to mean only in the US, in which case I am likely to agree, American Christians most likely aren't persecuted, and if they are, it isn't to the extent as in other areas. However, I have a problem with the thread's title, since it seems to dismiss persecution against Christians, regardless of area, as a false statement.

This is NationStates. It's trendy to denounce Christianity and place Islam on a pedestal that seems to be above criticism.
As for the Christian persecution in America, it's laughable at best: The worst we have to worry about is how we are "being persecuted upholding certain ethics." The Middle East is where Christians are really being persecuted, particularly by Daesh. And what do most people do when talking about Christian persecution? I think this site speaks for itself..

Notre Roi wrote:I am a white christian male, and I have been constantly told that I am a racist, that I support slavery, that I and anti-science, and that I am anti-LGBT just by being a white christian male.

My Irish-Italian family immigrated from both countries in the 20's. I have never held slaves. That had been abolished long ago, and if my family had the money to buy slaves, we sure as hell wouldn't have had to immigrate.

I'm not a goddamn racist. I was raised in New York City, where I was among people of all ethnicities, as my parents were before me. I'm not a racist.

The italian side of my family came from Naples, one of the patron cities of St. Thomas Aquinas. St. Thomas Aquinas was famous for his theology, in which he said that God created science. I mean seriously, if thousands of years ago, God tried to explain quantum physics to the Jews, do you think anyone would understand it? Be logical, people.

Everyone is persecuted to some extent. It's human nature. People think all asians are smart, all blacks are criminals, all hispanics are illegal immigrants, and all whites are Neo-nazis. The difference is, people are now beginning to find racism against those other races offensive, and so have now begun placing the blame on that of white people.

If I had a nickle for every time somebody told me to kill myself for being white, I'd have more money than Donald Trump.

So, my kind sir, please be more aware of who's getting persecuted, and then rethink your statement.

On this site, being a white male = being a racist sexist. *nod*
Humans are monsters, we will never change, we will always want to claw out the throats of those with a difference in opinion, we will never be in an age of peace because of our lust for war, poverty will continue to exist as long as monetary needs exist. We rape, enslave, and conquer with no regards to others. We live by the sword, and we will, justifiably, die by the sword.

Hope is for unrealistic idealists. Pessimism is your friend.

Notre Roi
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Notre Roi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Dragonia Re Xzua wrote:
Tsalkha wrote:My wife moved to Georgia (the country, where I am from) from Syria. Her family were members of the Syriac Orthodox Church (Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch), and she said they had felt actual fear of persecution due to the area they lived in being predominantly Muslim. Persecution against Christians is a serious topic, just as persecution against Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. would be. Now, the OP seems to mean only in the US, in which case I am likely to agree, American Christians most likely aren't persecuted, and if they are, it isn't to the extent as in other areas. However, I have a problem with the thread's title, since it seems to dismiss persecution against Christians, regardless of area, as a false statement.

This is NationStates. It's trendy to denounce Christianity and place Islam on a pedestal that seems to be above criticism.
As for the Christian persecution in America, it's laughable at best: The worst we have to worry about is how we are "being persecuted upholding certain ethics." The Middle East is where Christians are really being persecuted, particularly by Daesh. And what do most people do when talking about Christian persecution? I think this site speaks for itself..

Notre Roi wrote:I am a white christian male, and I have been constantly told that I am a racist, that I support slavery, that I and anti-science, and that I am anti-LGBT just by being a white christian male.

On this site, being a white male = being a racist sexist. *nod*

I know.

Just yesterday, a hispanic person stopped me on the street and showed me his driver's license to clarify that he was a citizen of the united states and to make sure I wouldn't "try to deport him".

And the worst part is, any time a white male person realises that this is unfair, they get called a nazi, KKK member, anti-feminist, etc. It's sad that I get compared to Hitler for asking people to stop assuming I'm a bigot.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69
Quotes:

Striton
Envoy

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Striton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Classic. They cry "persecution" when they aren't allowed to harass other people for differing beliefs.
Most of the opinions expressed on this account are regrettable, horrendously misinformed, and downright reprehensible. I am retracting them all.

Zhenya
Attaché

Founded: Jan 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhenya » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:35 pm

This OP seems pretty bloggy to me.
I, a citizen of The UNITED STATES of AMERICA, am NOT calling for the immediate arrest and trial of Barack Hussein Obama for treason, under Article 3 Section 3 of the United States Constitution, for aiding and giving comfort to our enemies, because he has done no such thing. If you agree, please copy and re-post.

Striton
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Striton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Notre Roi wrote: I was raised in New York City, where I was among people of all ethnicities, as my parents were before me. I'm not a racist.

Trump was from New York. Frickin Donald Trump: world-class racist sexist bigot. So you're argument about New York doesn't hold. Although I agree that assuming that someone is discriminatory just because of their ethnicity + religion is just as bad as any other discrimination.
Most of the opinions expressed on this account are regrettable, horrendously misinformed, and downright reprehensible. I am retracting them all.

Striton
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Striton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Grenartia wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:No, it's called EXTREME secularism. That's France instituted in the early 1900s. And really? Jews have such a HUGE lobby in Washington that they secured the right to call people Gentiles. Muslims: People are so worried about 'discriminating' Muslims because of everything happening in the Middle East, so they can say what they want.

That's what Asian Americans have to worry about every day.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:43 pm

The Republic of American Freedom wrote:
Yuganesia wrote:"Christian Persecution" seems to be the newest addition to the hypocrisy and ignorance amongst evangelical Christians and others alike. This has mainly risen as a result of marriage equality being approved by the White House. However, they claim that they have been persecuted way before that. This is new wave Christian bullshit that is running rampant in America. Many Christians claim that America was founded on Christian principals. They are very wrong! Thomas Jefferson once quoted "Lighthouses are more useful than churches". They also throw the first amendment as ammunition against secularists when in fact it denies the establishment of any religion in government. Separation of church and state seems to have never been an American principle, as Christians claim America is a Christian country. Idiots like Huckabee, Pat Robertson, and Rick Perry have claimed that Christians are being persecuted while Christians in Syria and Iraq are BEING FUCKING BEHEADED for believing in Jesus. Persecution my ass! The entire GOP is a FUCKING JOKE! These idiots are also comparing secularism to fucking Nazism. What the fuck kind of brain were you born with to make you think that gay marriage, secularism and abortions leads to Nazism? Get a fucking grip on reality on what America was founded on and what is really happening in America. Christians have been a protected group since the very beginning of American history, and yet you are being "persecuted". The world doesn't have to side with your religious beliefs over the rights of any individual, especially when LGBT rights were denied for 200 years even as a constitutional right for equal protection in government.

Long story short, YOU ARE NOT BEING PERSECUTED YOU IGNORANT SHIT! DOWN WITH YOUR IGNORANCE OR SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW DAMN "OPPRESSED" YOU ARE!

Funny that you ignore the countless Christians being slaughtered in the Middle East.

OP does not, in fact, ignore the countless Christians being slaughtered in the Middle East:
Yuganesia wrote:Idiots like Huckabee, Pat Robertson, and Rick Perry have claimed that Christians are being persecuted while Christians in Syria and Iraq are BEING FUCKING BEHEADED for believing in Jesus.

I know the OP is a wall of text that is tear-inducingly painful to read, but really.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Notre Roi
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Notre Roi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Striton wrote:
Notre Roi wrote: I was raised in New York City, where I was among people of all ethnicities, as my parents were before me. I'm not a racist.

Trump was from New York. Frickin Donald Trump: world-class racist sexist bigot. So you're argument about New York doesn't hold. Although I agree that assuming that someone is discriminatory just because of their ethnicity + religion is just as bad as any other discrimination.

Touche, but what other argument could I give to support myself not being a racist?
Quotes:

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:53 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Godular wrote:
And I would revel in the irony.

Given paganism doesn't exist I fail to see the irony.

Nothing more than a buzzword perverted from its original meaning of country dweller.

Wrong irony.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Notre Roi
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Notre Roi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Striton wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

That's what Asian Americans have to worry about every day.

Please elaborate. The only thing I could think of that would relate to that were the camps during WWII (which were bad, of course), and that hasn't happened since the 1940s. Is there something in the news that I'm missing?
Quotes:

May Mays
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:02 pm

People have developed a sense of entitlement in the 21st century. News at 11.
It's just me against the world.

RIP ZYZZ
Husseinarti wrote:yeah fun is shitty and gay

Striton
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Striton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Notre Roi wrote:
Striton wrote:Trump was from New York. Frickin Donald Trump: world-class racist sexist bigot. So you're argument about New York doesn't hold. Although I agree that assuming that someone is discriminatory just because of their ethnicity + religion is just as bad as any other discrimination.

Touche, but what other argument could I give to support myself not being a racist?

You don't have to justify that you aren't racist. It's assumed that you aren't racist until someone puts proof. If someone calls you a racist without proof, then they are a f*g.

Striton
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Striton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Notre Roi wrote:
Striton wrote:That's what Asian Americans have to worry about every day.

Please elaborate. The only thing I could think of that would relate to that were the camps during WWII (which were bad, of course), and that hasn't happened since the 1940s. Is there something in the news that I'm missing?

Exactly. They put Japanese in internment camps just because of their skin color, and now all Asian Americans and Indian Americans are being attacked by discrimination, one of them even institutionalized known as "affirmative action".

Asian Americans are under constant fear of, say, North Korea going nuclear and the government taking all of them just because they "look like Kim Jong-Un" to waterboarding death camps.
Last edited by Striton on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Italios wrote:
Faustian Fantasies wrote:
He's right.

ISIS kills just as many, if not more, Muslims than Christians.

Probably because there are more Muslims than Christians in their territory. But Muslims aren't specifically targeted because of their religion, are they? Nor are they an endangered culture in the region.

Anyway, on topic, it is a bit ridiculous that this idea has spread as much as it has through the U.S Christian community.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Kauthar
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kauthar » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Yuganesia wrote:"Christian Persecution" seems to be the newest addition to the hypocrisy and ignorance amongst evangelical Christians and others alike. This has mainly risen as a result of marriage equality being approved by the White House. However, they claim that they have been persecuted way before that. This is new wave Christian bullshit that is running rampant in America. Many Christians claim that America was founded on Christian principals. They are very wrong! Thomas Jefferson once quoted "Lighthouses are more useful than churches". They also throw the first amendment as ammunition against secularists when in fact it denies the establishment of any religion in government. Separation of church and state seems to have never been an American principle, as Christians claim America is a Christian country. Idiots like Huckabee, Pat Robertson, and Rick Perry have claimed that Christians are being persecuted while Christians in Syria and Iraq are BEING FUCKING BEHEADED for believing in Jesus. Persecution my ass! The entire GOP is a FUCKING JOKE! These idiots are also comparing secularism to fucking Nazism. What the fuck kind of brain were you born with to make you think that gay marriage, secularism and abortions leads to Nazism? Get a fucking grip on reality on what America was founded on and what is really happening in America. Christians have been a protected group since the very beginning of American history, and yet you are being "persecuted". The world doesn't have to side with your religious beliefs over the rights of any individual, especially when LGBT rights were denied for 200 years even as a constitutional right for equal protection in government.

Long story short, YOU ARE NOT BEING PERSECUTED YOU IGNORANT SHIT! DOWN WITH YOUR IGNORANCE OR SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW DAMN "OPPRESSED" YOU ARE!

Sounds like someone is a bit mad. How about you shut the fuck up about how entitled you are, and Christians have never been a protected group in the US. And for the record, no one gives a shit about sodomite marriage, it's degeneracy and is such a small issue only soccer moms, lesbians and leftists care about.
Pronouns: Deus/Vult
☩Fight Islam, Fight Degeneracy, and Defend Europa, the Fatherland☩
SMASH CULTURAL MARXISM, KEEP EUROPE EUROPEAN
Resources on Islam
I am a Clerical Fascist and European Nationalist
Trump and Palin 2016!
Favourite Politicians: Wilders, Sturgeon, Mussolini, Putin, Franco, Orban
Pro: Fascism, Nationalism, Ethnic Pride, Traditionalism, Distributism, Third Positionism, Militarism, Dominionism, Scotland, White Nationalism, Conservatism, Bionationalism
Anti: Capitalism, Socialists, Communism, Cultural Marxism, Feminism, Islam, Zionism, Islamization of Europa, Progressivism, Unionism, Tories, Labour, the EUSSR, Skinheads, Pan-Africanism
The Blaatschapen wrote:We're not marxists.

We're maxists.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General