NATION

PASSWORD

Slow Performance

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Slow Performance

Postby Skyviolia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:09 pm

(I’m guessing this belongs in the Technical Thread, sorry if i’m wrong,)
Is it just me, or is NS going slower than usual. I noticed that it took longer to load pages and longer to type. I checked by internet and its fine. Other websites ok. Has anybody else noticed this. It’s probably just my computer, but I wanted to let someone know just in case.
Qui est-ce ?

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm

No you're not the only one, we seem to have had some server load around 2200hrs UTC and NS has pretty much been intermittent for me for a few hours either side of that.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Gameside or forumside or both?

The forums were reindexed by Google in the last 24 hours or so, which means they unleashed swarms of bots that crawled over every page, roughly doubling our traffic.

We also have a bit of a gameside issue with regions with extremely large Regional Message Boards (some approaching 1M posts), which I'm going to have to fix somehow.

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Gameside it appeared mostly. However having a few swarms of bots probably slowed things up a bit.
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
4th President and,

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Could be that script kiddy who's been threatening to take down all the servers? The one with all the different accounts that keep being deleted?
Last edited by Crockerland on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:50 pm

If it was a DDoS attempt, it was a shoddy one.
Game Master
4th President and,

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:40 pm

[violet] wrote:We also have a bit of a gameside issue with regions with extremely large Regional Message Boards (some approaching 1M posts), which I'm going to have to fix somehow.

Could there not be an archive of very old RMB posts? Besides technical feasibility, would that solve anything?

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:52 pm

[violet] wrote:Gameside or forumside or both?

The forums were reindexed by Google in the last 24 hours or so, which means they unleashed swarms of bots that crawled over every page, roughly doubling our traffic.

We also have a bit of a gameside issue with regions with extremely large Regional Message Boards (some approaching 1M posts), which I'm going to have to fix somehow.

Could we have a RMB archive, as someone already said, which is accessible etc. for people wanting to look at regional history? As long as we didn't lose the history completely, I think most regions would be alright with a dozen pages or so trimmed off and archived every so often.

If the RMB archive is feasible, as asked many times before by various refounders, would we be able to either manually, or hopefully automatically have a regions RMB history saved before it is refounded. The history could either continue on with the region when it is created, through pulling it from the archive, or just have a link on the history page before founding saying that 'link name = 'We are not the first to come here', url = nationstates.net/region=@region@/archive.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Crockerland wrote:Could be that script kiddy who's been threatening to take down all the servers? The one with all the different accounts that keep being deleted?

Maybe, I experienced the slowness right after the kids rampage, maybe he (or she) overloaded the site with traffic or pinged it. But [violet]'s explanation is the most feasible.
Qui est-ce ?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Flanderlion wrote:Could we have a RMB archive, as someone already said, which is accessible etc. for people wanting to look at regional history? As long as we didn't lose the history completely, I think most regions would be alright with a dozen pages or so trimmed off and archived every so often.

Yes, it'll be something like that. We won't delete any posts.

In the forums, we close threads when they hit 500 pages because it starts taking the server too long to gather all the posts. Gameside we have the equivalent of threads with 30,000 pages!

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:00 pm

[violet] wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:Could we have a RMB archive, as someone already said, which is accessible etc. for people wanting to look at regional history? As long as we didn't lose the history completely, I think most regions would be alright with a dozen pages or so trimmed off and archived every so often.

Yes, it'll be something like that. We won't delete any posts.

In the forums, we close threads when they hit 500 pages because it starts taking the server too long to gather all the posts. Gameside we have the equivalent of threads with 30,000 pages!

Will it be possible for regions that have already refounded but maintain their own RMB archives to give you our archives to be placed on-site, when that happens?

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:03 pm

No, that won't be possible, sorry.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:21 pm

But when a region reaches 0 nations and ceases to exist at update, would it be able to save a RMB archive/update the previous one so a refound just destroys the community, as opposed to the history as well?

Hopefully we'll get some performance boosts if the archive system works out, and thanks in advance for this.
Information
Wishlist

[violet]
Executive Director

Re: Slow Performance

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:01 pm

It's a longer discussion, but a refound destroys the region by design. It's not actually a reset: you're letting one region die and starting a new, different one. It isn't supposed to carry through data from the old region.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm

[violet] wrote:It's a longer discussion, but a refound destroys the region by design. It's not actually a reset: you're letting one region die and starting a new, different one. It isn't supposed to carry through data from the old region.

Will it be possible to use either an API script (or a button in Regional Admin) to download the RMB Database?
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
[violet] wrote:It's a longer discussion, but a refound destroys the region by design. It's not actually a reset: you're letting one region die and starting a new, different one. It isn't supposed to carry through data from the old region.

Will it be possible to use either an API script ... to download the RMB Database?

Well, that is already possible. The question is what to do once you've downloaded the archive. XML is not the most reader-friendly format for a Regional Message Board archive.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

Will it be possible to use either an API script (or a button in Regional Admin) to download the RMB Database?

Yeah, that would be super. The destruction of the RMB and it's history is one of the major issues keeping legitimate communities from refounding. It would also be nice to save that history in the event certain destructive invader organizations refound the region.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Caelapes wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Will it be possible to use either an API script ... to download the RMB Database?

Well, that is already possible. The question is what to do once you've downloaded the archive. XML is not the most reader-friendly format for a Regional Message Board archive.

Considering that I'm guessing that [v] has a different format in mind for the ginormous RMB archives, I was thinking of having a different format available, yes.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 pm

I think of it as like starting a new nation after the 5 year mark for the old one. There has been another nation with the same name before that, and you can see that when looking at the boneyard (or in this case a reference to the region history), but it starts off as a new different region with the same name. Just like creating a new nation under the name release program doesn't erase all traces of the old one, the same should happen with a new region taking a previous regions name.

Also, related to refounds, after annexation and custodians, I think refounds should be made a lot harder, instead of trying to reduce the negatives like a few other of my fellow posters wish. But that's for another topic in another time.
Information
Wishlist

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:57 pm

[violet] wrote:It isn't supposed to carry through data from the old region.

Not all, from what I know. I noticed that when I founded a region with a puppet that previous regional happenings showed.

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
[violet] wrote:It isn't supposed to carry through data from the old region.

Not all, from what I know. I noticed that when I founded a region with a puppet that previous regional happenings showed.

That is a feature of NS++ and that information goes away after a time. Seriously? You are arguing with the person who designed the game now?
Last edited by The Silver Sentinel on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 pm

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:Not all, from what I know. I noticed that when I founded a region with a puppet that previous regional happenings showed.

That is a feature of NS++ and that information goes away after a time. Seriously? You are arguing with the person who designed the game now?

No need to bring the confrontational attitude here. Chances are Lockdownn didin't know it was a NS++ feature and legitimately thought it still showed.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:
The Silver Sentinel wrote:That is a feature of NS++ and that information goes away after a time. Seriously? You are arguing with the person who designed the game now?

No need to bring the confrontational attitude here. Chances are Lockdownn didin't know it was a NS++ feature and legitimately thought it still showed.

You're right Hobbes and I apologize. It is just getting a tad tiring seeing the same people posting wrong answers in technical over and over, giving new people the impression that the game itself is badly designed.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:

You're right Hobbes and I apologize. It is just getting a tad tiring seeing the same people posting wrong answers in technical over and over, giving new people the impression that the game itself is badly designed.

You get used to it after the 500th thread that posts itself without reading the FAQ or any other thread we have on the usual questions.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 am

Lockdownn wrote:Not all, from what I know. I noticed that when I founded a region with a puppet that previous regional happenings showed.

Honestly, that was my bad. I used to have NS++ and thought that that specific part was still around.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical