NATION

PASSWORD

New Imperialism - AH RP v 2.1 [OOC, Signup]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How fun is this RP?

The best, or nearly the best
22%
Among some of the much better ones
38%
Somewhere above average
16%
Pretty decent; not bad
No votes
Not so great; seen better
2%
Really not much
5%
Not at all, whatsoever
19%

Total votes : 64

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:48 pm

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:
Valentir wrote:*grabs*

I shall start a new republic in Canada!

Be ye monarchist? :D

-sharpens axe-
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Bujahla
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bujahla » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Can we please not have the whole "monarchy vs. republicanism" shit we had last time? Like can't we all just be more pragmatic.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Bujahla wrote:
Dw. Portugal doesn't want to go to war with you so no need to fear us. Just rivalry.

Yo, Buj.
If you'd like, we could have friendly relations.
Portugal need food? Nouvelle-France has excess food. :p

We'd be down for that.
*Huzzah he lives!*

Nah, son. Britain was all like "yo, why my colonies be all uppity an' shit?!" And Lord Durham laid it straight: "they be wantin' legislation with representation, dawg."

Never Forget / My Best IC Posts
Never Forget / My Longest Running Series
Never Forget / My Best RP

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Bujahla wrote:Can we please not have the whole "monarchy vs. republicanism" shit we had last time? Like can't we all just be more pragmatic.

Liecthenbourg wrote:Yo, Buj.

We'd be down for that.

Awesome.
Nouvelle France likes friends.

I'm going to be honest here, Nouvelle France doesn't give a shit what you're gov't type is. As long as you treat your citizens well, we're fine with that. Hence my hesitation to have good terms with the CSA, but then Buj mentioned the thing on Slavery so I was like. "K"
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Be ye monarchist? :D

-sharpens axe-

Readies chlorine "Sh sh, it wil all be over soon"
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Bujahla
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bujahla » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Bujahla wrote:Can we please not have the whole "monarchy vs. republicanism" shit we had last time? Like can't we all just be more pragmatic.

We'd be down for that.

Awesome.

I'm going to be honest here, Nouvelle France doesn't give a shit what you're gov't type is. As long as you treat your citizens well, we're fine with that. Hence my hesitation to have good terms with the CSA, but then Buj mentioned the thing on Slavery so I was like. "K"

That was Kry that mentioned that btw.
*Huzzah he lives!*

Nah, son. Britain was all like "yo, why my colonies be all uppity an' shit?!" And Lord Durham laid it straight: "they be wantin' legislation with representation, dawg."

Never Forget / My Best IC Posts
Never Forget / My Longest Running Series
Never Forget / My Best RP

Greater Mid West
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mid West » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:Yo, Buj.

We'd be down for that.
Some beef from Argentina?

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Bujahla wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:Awesome.

That was Kry that mentioned that btw.

Ah, yes - I meant that xD

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:

We'd be down for that.

Awesome.

Do you care about how we treat colonials?

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:-sharpens axe-

You give chlorine to trees, eh?

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:

You give chlorine to trees, eh?

If you count dead people pushing up daisies as trees Sure :D
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

How do reservations work in this iteration of NI (how do I reserve something)?

Baja California y Sonora
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California y Sonora » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Aldelxane wrote:How do reservations work in this iteration of NI (how do I reserve something)?

You make a post with your claims mentioned.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Baja California y Sonora
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California y Sonora » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Egh I'm coming back as Chile.
My back up nations are taken and the only idea I have left is the Imerina Kingdom which would probs be colonized in the first IC page.

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Baja California y Sonora wrote:Egh I'm coming back as Chile.
My back up nations are taken and the only idea I have left is the Imerina Kingdom which would probs be colonized in the first IC page.

You could ask for Protection by the commonwealth , they have stronk militaries :D
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Greater Mobile wrote:
The Khedive wrote:
I think random event is more phun.

Me too, but I'd like to be able to increase the chance of an event

I think that's a good idea. Since the two main gold rushes are done, it shouldn't be too big an issue if they're started by event.
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Allen I swear to the Lort if you reuse the event that turns Naples into Pompeii 2.0 again I will find you and shove you so far down the pouch of the nearest kangaroo.

:P
don't worry, maybe Barcelona this time round
The Khedive wrote:I wonder if I should just apply as the Germany rather than North Germany.

appli as nort goyimn confed
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:@Svelt

The British actually sided with Napoleon and were defeated by the coalition of I am assuming Portugay, the Dual Kingdom, the UK, Russia, and the HRE. Otherwise I'm not sure how Napoloen lost (by that I mean based off of Coalition members) bc he's hella strong and without all of them he could easily win

From Calt's history, I suppose it should be fine. As long as it was France + Commonwealth vs the rest of Europe for the whole thing.
Fascist Republic Of Bermuda wrote:Is it OK to switch back to Bavaria, since Jonanathian backed out of Germany?

I suppose so.
Mangjukoia wrote:How's the situation with Hokkaido? Which is it going to be a protectorate of?

Maybe France could step in or something? Does Portugal want it?
*shrug*
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:
Carathon wrote:
Oh. What does he own?

Greece proper, what is left of Atntolla's part closer to him. Constantinople. He wanted the rest of coastal Libya, idk if he is getting it or not. Crete. Possibly Cyprus.

Cyprus should be Crusader since it was reserved by Crusader before Greece reserved it.

What's the deal with the Crusader state anyway?
Aldelxane wrote:May I reserve this?
http://i.imgur.com/pVjROF8.png

Er... what is it? :P

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:17 pm

It's an Aksum after several centuries of continued survival and growth.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Sveltlana wrote:Application

Name: Kalmar Union of Scandinavia (Sk.: Kalmarunionen Skandinavien; Denonym: Scandinavian/Kalmar)

If you recall, Virgin Islands, Timor, Greenland, Iceland are all taken, and reduce your African colonies by 1 or 2 provinces. If you were just to lazy to edit it out of the map though, I'll just put you on the map as you should be and don't worry about it. More detail on economic policy/situation, maybe navy size, currency, imports & exports, etc. Slight edits needed in history, but ehh.
Do that stuff and you're good to go.
Caltarania wrote:In honour of my 10,000th post, I present to you my finished application!

Caltarania wrote:Application

Name: Official: The Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland | Short: Britannia | Demonym: British, Commonwealth, Briton

Sehr gut, a few things though;
no female suffrage, even Finland only legalised it last year. Maybe something like 40+ landowning females, but actual universal? No.
Zanzibar king swear fealty? That's basically vassalship; worse than protectorate, which if you recall I said could only be under de jure independence. And also pull the date forward a bit if you will.
You didn't remove either Aden or Socotra.
And finally, there's a province in India, the one wedged between China, India and Afghanistan, which is lonely; take it plox.
Aldelxane wrote:It's an Aksum after several centuries of continued survival and growth.

Try to shrink it; it's absolutely sprawling, from Nubia to the Swahili city-states to the Somali naval settlements. Also, Sudan was reserved.
The Khedive wrote:
The Khedive wrote:Application

Name: North German Confederation

Too many colonies; pick one province of any of the areas you've specified. All of Prussia is claimed. More detail on ideology/policy, language, religion, infrastructure, etc.
Last edited by Alleniana on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Application

Name: The State of the Ryukyus
Symbols: The Sanba, Bingata etc
Claims: The Ryukyu Islands
Power: Minor

Government Structure: Direct Republic headed by a 'House of Lords'

In short - There is no central leader of the country, the populace send a law once it gains enough support to the House of Lords, who in turn organise when it will be voted on. To send a law, it must first gain 5,000 signatures or 1,000 donations; then it sent to the House who send out an edict on when it will be voted on. Eventually, the populace vote and if it passes, it's the House's job to implement it.

The House of Lords are elected every five years.

The House of Lords contains 40 members, 15 are women and 25 remaining are men. These are arguably the most powerful people in the nation, able to stop democratic process in a heartbeat. They can often be found because of their white kimonos (clothing that became popular with the Lords following the arrival of Japanese citizens) and wakizashi swords. They work from a large pagoda style complex on the summit of Sugarloaf Hill.

To become a Lord - women also have this title, one must...

*Be fluent in the four Ryukyuan Languages and Japanese
*Demonstrated a proficiency with swords and martial arts (saves on bodyguard money)
*Must be literate
*Be expressed in life and have great deal of knowledge on all Ryukyuan subjects.

Ideology/Policy: Capitalism, embrace Westernisation while also keeping it at arms length. See an end to the illegal occupation of Japan - though not acknowledged in public. Foreigners are to be treated as any other person, with no special privileges or extraterritoriality. Mongol ships are accepted for repairs, and Mongol government officials welcomed specifically - this is the only nation to enjoy such a privilege.

Leaders: N/A

Capital City: Naha

Population: 350,000

Primary Ethnic Group: Ryukyuan

Minority Ethnic Groups: Japanese

Description of Ethnicity: Small in stature, with practically all citizenry having epithcanthal folds (the things like make people in the West say Japanese/Asians have 'slanted eyes' ) they also tend to be muscular despite their small statue. Many have dark hair and slightly tanned skin, with dark or light eyes being common around the islands.

Language: Ryukyuan Languages - all four of them are taught by law. Writing takes place using Hiragana script.

Religion: Ryukyuan Animism - viewed favourably by the populace with around 85% reported to practise it in the 1878 Census: the first in the nation's history. The remaining 15% believe in Shinto. Several temples are around the islands, with a religious institution on the South of Okinawa for those looking to be Priestesses. The Ryukyuan Constitution that is being drawn up around this time will guarantee freedom of religion, but may make life more difficult for non-animists.

Foreign Relations: Aims for good relations with Asian nations, tends to accept the West but wishes to keep them at arm's length to avoid unequal treaties or the destruction of their culture.
Military Information: The Black Watch (army), The Ryukyuan MF (Commercial Fleet)
Army Size: 4,500, most armed with rifles and all proficient in the martial art of karate and Tegumi. Generally having to demonstrate extreme proficient with martial arts and firearms to graduate from Naha's "Blue Crescent Military Academy" and thus earn a place in the Black Watch. They lack sidearms, and thus rely are dirks (small daggers) that in Asia resemble miniaturised Katanas.
Navy Size: 5 Naval vessels (all merchant)

Economic Policy:Tariffs on some imported goods, mainly Mongolian and lowered tariffs on others. Most industries with the exception of the fishing, weaponry and educational industries can be owned by the people who are allowed to gain or lose money on their own decisions. Education is free in Ryukyu, but many schools require the parents or carers to assist towards paying for learning materials. Etc.

Economic Situation: The economy is growing rapidly because of recent contact with the West, with trading links in Europe and hopefully some to occur within Mongolia. Main money makers include tropical fruits, cloth and swords. Citizenry are seeing moderate increases in their wages, from 9 Ryukyuan dollars (3$) a month in 1867 to around 30 Ryukyuan dollars ($10) a month, in 1881. The country tends to be self sufficient in food, relying on communal farming, fishing and the tropical fruit that grows around the Islands. Some of this is exported to larger nations.

Infrastructure: Conditions have improved dramatically since contact with the West during the 1850s and 60s, 80% of roads are paved leading to settlements, with Naha having built its first hospital in 1876. The education system is slowly improving, with around 50 Schools throughout the State and a heavily rising literacy rate. Naha now has adequate facilities to repair merchant vessels and small ships and a harbour. There's telegraph lines in Naha, with one or two others going across Okinawa but none elsewhere.

Most of the citizenry have boring but bearable lives, their homes are basic with most of Naha's made from stone. Outside of Naha most are made of dried mud or hardwood.

Imports & Exports: Exports - Swords, various other bladed and non bladed weapons, cloth, textiles, hardwood, fish etc. Imports - Weapons, Machinery, (to build up industries in the State) books.

Currency: The Ryukyuan Dollar

History: King Sasu I unified the Ryukyus in the 1769 AD, under his guidance the Ryukyus slowly began to become more open to trade with Western Nations and Asian ones too. This allowed the level of infrastructure across the islands to be rebuilt and upgraded in quality. In 1802 AD, the King died and was replaced by his illegitimate son, Zaki who was unpopular with the people, who overthrew him and settled under the rule of a clan of lords. These lords would later build the 'House of Lords' and were a vital step for the nation.

European contact was made in 1849 AD, when ships from an unspecified European country docked at Naha, they forced the nation to open for trade and in return the country began to Westernise Ryukyu. In 1853 AD, the 'Black Watch' was formed and began to train a cadet movement that would train the future military. This was followed a year later by the Navy. The telegraph was introduced in the 1864 AD and majorly increased the intelligence gathering abilities of the government. A first domestic rifle was produced in the 1867, this was abandoned and several Ryukyuans were sent abroad to train gunsmithing and design - they did so. The same followed with 30 Doctors who would later open a Medical school in 1879 and 15 teachers.

Miscellaneous:

RP Example:
DPRK, Pyongyang, January 1969

Hard boots stomped on the concrete ground in unison as the formally dressed KPA units marched down the wide street, the crowds next to them were forming the North Korean flag and various communist insignia with pieces of card. Above them was Kim Il Sung, the Great Leader, Generalissimo and anything else you could think of. Next to him were the usual - generals, admirals, high ranking politicians etc, they thought of power and he thought of reform; because a small gap was slowly widening between North and South. Unfortunately these reforms couldn't be too obvious, the Chinese would see to that. Although despite his stormy rhetoric it was dawning on him that economic and social reforms were a needed reality.

First would be the implementation of a system allowing the citizens of Pyongyang to trade goods at stalls for North Korean Won, or U.S dollars if they were the richer political class. This would also be trialled on the North Korean-Chinese border where the citizenry often ended up considerably wealthier than the citizenry of Pyongyang. But before that, the basics would require fertiliser for crops, and there was one place where this could be obtained rather... well with difficulty but a letter or two could sweeten it hopefully.

Last edited by The Emerald Dragon on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacificana Islands
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacificana Islands » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:41 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:Application *WIP*

Name: Ruthenian Empire (Empire of Rus')
Symbols: Flag of the United Slavs : State Emblem : Anthem
Claims: The most honorable state of Kyivan Rus' the Ruthenian Empire
Power: Great Power (for some reason)

Government Structure: Originally a union of two crowns, developed into a formal political and military union (e.g. the United Kingdom.) The central government (often referred to as the National Government or Coalition Government) is directed from Warsaw, where it retains complete control over affairs of defense and foreign relations. The Coalition government also has a strong grip over economic policy, and according to the Constitution keeps the entire country in a strongly secular state (as necessary to please the various religious minorities.) Substate governments (e.g. the State Assemblies of Poland, Lithuania, Livonia, Ruthenia, the Regional Assemblies of Königsberg and Zapadnyrossiya) are allowed great autonomy in establishing local education curricula (although State mandate requires a certain amount of hours be dedicated to the teaching of Polish, the lingua franca, religious education and history books are subject to centralized review and censorship to avoid subversion of the state.) The State Assembly has an upper house which is elected every 6 years through regional representation, while the lower house enjoys being elected every 3 years through proportional representation; the Government is decided through means of a coalition, which must have a majority vote (i.e. approval of a majority coalition OR approval of the opposition) to be formed. A Supreme Court, with representatives from all the sub-states (two for Poland, Lithuania, Ruthenia, and Livonia each, one for Königsberg and Zapadnyrossiya each) determines the constitutionality of legislation and serves as a high-ranking appeals court. As members of the National Assembly are provided with a stipend, it is not unheard of for commoners to join their ranks, although typically monetary concerns mean the gentry and capitalists dominate above all.

Ideology/Policy: Ruthenia considers itself the benevolent protector of all Slavic minorities and states, and also considers itself the Union State of all Slavs. Unlike the former Tsardom of Moscow, however, this policy benefits from the fact that this is, to some extent, actually the case; the Empire's government has allowed for extensive protections of minority cultures and remains essentially secular. Exceptions to this policy include the Belarusians (who are ethnographically considered Russians, to be converted either to Ruthenians, Poles, or Proper Russians if possible) and the Cossacks (who have been suppressed and crushed in favour of Ruthenian settlement.) Overall the state is very liberal and as a constitutional monarchy, is also democratic with universal male suffrage, although it has little problem associating with more authoritarian states to its own benefit. The Empire broadly speaking does not approve of genocide and prefers benevolent imperialism to outright land-grabbing.
Leaders:
King of Poland, Duke of Lithuania, and Emperor of Ruthenia [hereditary]: Stanislaw August Józef Poniatowski (Stanislaw III of Poland-Lithuania, Stanislaw I of Ruthenia)
Prime Minister of Poland [elected]: Stanislaw Brzezinski
Prime Minister of Lithuania [elected]: Dovidas Paksas
Prime Minister of Ruthenia [elected]: Nikita Veremchuk
Chancellor of Livonia [elected]: Tonis Laurits
Grand Mayor of Novgorod [elected]: Vladimir Yerokhin
Grand Mayor of Königsberg [elected]: Johannes Müller

Capital City: The Imperial Palace and National Assembly both lie in Kiev, while the Royal Palace of Poland-Lithuania lies in Warsaw. Königsberg serves as the capital of an autonomous German-speaking region, while Riga does the same for Livonia. Vilnius remains at the heart of Lithuania, as the home of their regional assembly.

Population: 45,327,000
Primary Ethnic Group: Polish
Minority Ethnic Groups: Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Belarusian, Latvian, Estonian, Russian, German
Description of Ethnicity: Pan-Slavic, comrade!
Language: All of the above; regional languages taught include Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Russian, German, Belarusian, and Crimean Tatar. As per State legislation, all schools are required to provide some education in the lingua franca of Polish. Russian and German are exclusively languages of instruction in Königsberg and Zapadnyrossiya, respectively, while Crimean Tatar gained regional status after negotiate with the Ruthenian sub-state as a secondary language after Ukrainian.
Religion: Primarily Catholic, with strong Orthodox presence in the South and East and some Protestants concentrated in Livonia. The state is by necessity secular, although the King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania claims to be Defender of the Faith.

Foreign Relations: Due to historical and geopolitical reasons, the Western principalities keep an entirely cold stance towards Russia, with a foreign policy defined by a mix of military fear, territorial ambitions due to irredentist and ethnic claims. Friendly relations with Germany are considered a possibility, but are secondary to much closer relations with France and the UK due to diplomatic support during the November Uprising and ambitions to join the ranks of the Western Powers in a non-colonial way. Finland may be considered a key northern ally although their isolationism prevents truly good relations, and while the Union may also have interest in protecting their Slavic brothers to the South, the Balkans are a less interesting target for expansion than Russia unless a particularly good opportunity arises, especially if they face particularly dogged Austrian opposition.
Military Information: The small active force is entirely professional and consists primarily of cavalry. The navy, too, is an all-volunteer force, and comparatively weak even for the Baltic Sea; most of the military's strength comes from it's two-million strong reserve force, up to the standard of a conscript army organised into departments from which each company draws strength, coalescing into a regiment at a central point and then being directed to the army in a fairly swift process.
Army Size: 50,000 are in the Army of Warsaw, with another 20,000 in the Army of Lithuania and 30,000 in the Army of Kiev, and a garrison of 5,000 in the Army of Livonia, all of which are primarily cavalry units. These are roughly sufficient to establish a general staff to train and command the 2 million reservists spread across the country.
Navy Size: There is a monitor based out of Gdansk, and another two remain in Konigsberg, modern ships, but few in number. A number (15) of torpedo boats have been distributed among the coast guard, based in groups of three along the towns of Koszalin, Wladyslawowo, Malinovka, Liepaja, and Tallinn. The state supports but neither owns nor funds a fairly large merchant fleet for Baltic and Atlantic trade.

Economic Policy: The Union supports free trade with those willing to buy its wheat, and is more than willing to purchase machine parts and industrial goods from the more industrialised powers for the time being, although it continue to support its own industrialisation through the use of foreign investment as capital. The state also intervenes, primarily to provide education and by making investment opportunities more practical and more attractive, which it does through maintaining and expanding the national rail network, which is of fairly recent construction but one of the more modern models for the world to follow, stretching from Gdansk to Mykolaiv and transporting grain into Germany, France, and through ports, Britain.
Economic Situation: West of the Dnieper, every major town now boasts a rail link to the national network; east of that same river, this only really applies to the larger towns. Livonia, despite being East of said river, is actually highly developed. Any town with a rail link has some kind of workshop going on; Gdansk, Warsaw, Konigsberg, and Kiev are real industrialized cities, with Riga well on the way to joining them.
Infrastructure: Fairly extensive, with a modern rail network spanning north-south across the country which required much of the state's saved capital; lands East of the Dnieper suffer from significantly worse infrastructure. Effective national education is probably the most notable of the state's achievements, but progress on the state's industrial capabilities continues to go slowly, although it continue to accelerate as foreign investment brings in more and more capital.

Imports & Exports: Exports primarily consist of grain and other agricultural products- not just the crops themselves, but also derivatives such as vodka and marmalade- as well as primary goods such as iron and coal. Imports primarily consist of industrial capital and finished manufactured goods, although Poland's liberal ways have provided it with an industrial base and something of a knowledge economy. Nothing to compete with the powerhouses of Europe, yet, but every town has a workshop, now, which is a significant improvement alongside greatly improved lines of transport and communication.
Currency: The Union Zloty, which remains relatively weak compared to the Mark, Franc, and Pound Sterling, all of which leads to an encouraging exports sector.

History: The Kingdom of Ruthenia was a state that emerged, in curious fashion, after Kievan Rus' managed to survive the Mongol onslaught to become a major tributary; alongside the Polish-Lithuanian state and the Tsardom in Moscow. In Poland, Sigismund II Augustus had stumbled upon the novel idea that, in order to preserve his dynasty, he would separate the position of his own kingship from the executive position of ruler of the state, whose powers he delegated to a so-called "Chief," to be elected from the nobility by the nobility, establishing the first electoral monarchy. Sigismund II, of course, managed to retain the Chiefdom for his reign, but it quickly fell into the hands of other nobles, chosen for political reasons or for effectiveness, which provided Poland with a slew of skilled monarchs. Kievan Rus' retained a certain sense of decentralization, while the Tsardom remained under the singular rule of the Prince of Moscow. None of the Eastern states enjoyed a position strong enough to participate in the Thirty Years' War comfortably, although Poland remained staunchly Catholic. Ruthenia enjoyed fairly good relations with the states to its south, and alternatively allied with or fought against both Poland and Moscow, but Cossack rebellions and continued decentralization put Poland-Lithuania in a key position of strength compared to Ruthenia; the nobles, unwilling to let their state fall to Muscovite centralized rule, offered King Casimir V (during the rule of Chief Stanislaw Leszczyński) control of a newly-minted Imperial crown, leading to a personal union between the two states.

Casimir V, for his part, did his best to streamline and centralize control in Ruthenia, which led to improvements in the state's administration and military situation, the growth of Catholicism in the country, as well as continued rebellions from the Cossacks and combativeness from the Tsar. Of course, Moscow was not strong enough to resist the combined strength of Poland-Lithuania and Ruthenia, which allowed for both the Cossacks to be crushed (letting the country seize the northern Caucasus) and Moscow to be almost completely annihilated. Unfortunately the successes of the 18th century gave way to misery by means of Swedish and Napoleonic invasions. Napoleon's march into Ruthenia is a story to be remembered for all ages; although the French general was highly skilled in the manner that he conducted himself with regards to Ruthenia, defeating small armies in the field, he had failed to account for the strategic (as opposed to tactical) skill of the Ruthenians, who forced him to cross the Dnieper with an insufficient force and defeated him using numerical superiority in a surprise attack on the opposite side of Kiev, having led him on a wild goose-chase throughout the country. While the Battle of Kiev crushed Napoleon's ambitions to seize the East, they left Ruthenia in a weaker position and had spread the poison of revolution into the country.

After Napoleon's folly, it became necessary both in Poland-Lithuanian and Ruthenia to acknowledge the emancipation of the serfs, as well of the loss of the almost complete domination Ruthenia had held over the Eastern Slavic and trans-Uralic states. This had its own consequences; freedom of labor and urbanisation led to greater and greater power being concentrated among merchants and the lower classes, and ensuing demands for greater clarity and control over the state's affairs would require either concession or the completed destruction of Ruthenia. Emperor Stanislaw II of Ruthenia intervened against the will of Chief, establishing a National Assembly in Kiev and appointing a number of representatives from various regions, leaders of industry and merchandise all, to establish areas for the securing of electoral districts. He also took power out of the hands of the nobility with the help of the Army; this also assured the formal economic and political integration of all the territories under the Ruthenian crown into a single super-polity. A lack of capital (and, up until the 1850s, a lack of perceived need for it) meant that Ruthenia only truly began to industrialize in the 1860s, and due to the territory's great size, the process is still ongoing. Naturally this great size remains Ruthenia's major defense; nobody is stupid enough to go marching into the Motherland, which has allowed it to develop in relative peace.
Miscellaneous: wtf do i put here
RP Example: u wot m9

Is this new map being accepted?

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Sveltlana wrote:Application

Name: Kalmar Union of Scandinavia (Sk.: Kalmarunionen Skandinavien; Denonym: Scandinavian/Kalmar)

If you recall, Virgin Islands, Timor, Greenland, Iceland are all taken, and reduce your African colonies by 1 or 2 provinces. If you were just to lazy to edit it out of the map though, I'll just put you on the map as you should be and don't worry about it. More detail on economic policy/situation, maybe navy size, currency, imports & exports, etc. Slight edits needed in history, but ehh.
Do that stuff and you're good to go.
Caltarania wrote:In honour of my 10,000th post, I present to you my finished application!

Sehr gut, a few things though;
no female suffrage, even Finland only legalised it last year. Maybe something like 40+ landowning females, but actual universal? No.
Zanzibar king swear fealty? That's basically vassalship; worse than protectorate, which if you recall I said could only be under de jure independence. And also pull the date forward a bit if you will.
You didn't remove either Aden or Socotra.
And finally, there's a province in India, the one wedged between China, India and Afghanistan, which is lonely; take it plox.
Aldelxane wrote:It's an Aksum after several centuries of continued survival and growth.

Try to shrink it; it's absolutely sprawling, from Nubia to the Swahili city-states to the Somali naval settlements. Also, Sudan was reserved.
The Khedive wrote:

Too many colonies; pick one province of any of the areas you've specified. All of Prussia is claimed. More detail on ideology/policy, language, religion, infrastructure, etc.

I'll trim it a little, but about Sudan: I looked at the person's map of their reservation, and only reserved the parts of Sudan that they didn't reserve. They reserved Nubia (North Sudan) (my reservation was Southern-ish Sudan, which hadn't been reserved) and Egypt. Anyway, I'll trim some of the southern territories a bit.
Edit: The map of the person's Egypt-Sudan reservation that they posted. I think it was Carathon? http://postimg.org/image/lhyc91kzh/full/
Last edited by Aldelxane on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:47 pm

The Emerald Dragon wrote:Application

Name: The State of the Ryukyus

More info on ideology/policy, leaders, language, religion, economic situation, miscellaneous, etc. Who chairs the House of Lords? How many people in it? How is animism regarded by people and government? And so on.

For the Americas; it would be preferable if Britain and Portugal could volunteer to have had more American colonies in the past. The Dutch have Mexico, the French have Brazil & New France, and being secondary and great power, that's pretty much as much as they could've looked at colonising. Portugal has Colombia and California maybe (that needs to be worked out; California was colonised before Castile was inherited it seems, but how did the Portuguese work with it afterwards?) and Britain has the east coast, but if they could help to provide the colonial backstory for the rest of the Americas that would be good. It hardly seems fair to dump all the independent colonies.

@TNL's new app, no. It will have to stick to the old borders, though I imagine it might be beneficial for both Russia and Ruthenia to negotiate a few things; Russia would benefit from Estonia, for example, whereas Ruthenia would covet more of old Cumania more.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Pacificana Islands wrote:
The New Lowlands wrote:=pls snip in future=

Is this new map being accepted?

*shrug*

IDK. Doesn't really matter imo.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
Pacificana Islands wrote:Is this new map being accepted?

*shrug*

IDK. Doesn't really matter imo.

BTW, I dropped your Silesia and added the rest of Galicia. That fine? Just for map neatness.

Sasutary Island
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sasutary Island » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

afghan has batter sivil rites dan most euro-pleb nations. STRONK
In sarcastic rememberance of the 13 people who got told off/warned/banned/DEAT'd in a thread about a gassed Furry Con. Never forget, Idiocy is everywhere.
I am an proud, independent nation of the Sovereignty Cooperation Pact!
Also a Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
I am an Ultra-Progressive, Open Minded, Skeptic towards Religion, laissez-faire capitalist and a Libetarian; a kind-hearted idealistic egalitarian with several strong convictions IRL.
GODDAMN IT RP CORRECTLY OR ELSE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse