NATION

PASSWORD

Community Football development thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cyborg Holland
Minister

Founded: Aug 29, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cyborg Holland » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Wight wrote:
Cyborg Holland wrote:I'm just wondering, would Community Football be able to be brought into the real world? Obviously the pitch doesn't exist, so it'd have to be painted on/whatever. But could the sport be played IRL? Do the rules translate, and could they work?

I play at a local rugby club, and we have enough to form two teams (working off TBIs roster) and I was tossing up the idea of trying to play a game.

There is nothing supernatural or other-wordily about it, so in theory, yes, I would think so. Be fascinated to know how it goes if you do it!

OK, I'll have a go!

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Wight wrote:
Cyborg Holland wrote:I'm just wondering, would Community Football be able to be brought into the real world? Obviously the pitch doesn't exist, so it'd have to be painted on/whatever. But could the sport be played IRL? Do the rules translate, and could they work?

I play at a local rugby club, and we have enough to form two teams (working off TBIs roster) and I was tossing up the idea of trying to play a game.

There is nothing supernatural or other-wordily about it, so in theory, yes, I would think so. Be fascinated to know how it goes if you do it!

Same - do share video/pics/blog if possible, CH :) We won't report a bloggy post on the matter ;)
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I've posted a community football scorinator to Google Docs. It uses the Footba11er-style formula but generates period-by-period scores like Miscellanator. Let me know what you think!

I've also done an xkoranate file for community football which I really need to get posted to the web. Maybe tonight.
Last edited by The Babbage Islands on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Lymantatia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lymantatia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

The Babbage Islands wrote:I've posted a community football scorinator to Google Docs. It uses the Footba11er-style formula but generates period-by-period scores like Miscellanator. Let me know what you think!

I've also done an xkoranate file for community football which I really need to get posted to the web. Maybe tonight.

Sounds àmazing!
Baptism of Fire 44 Round of 16, de facto retired.

Carmadin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carmadin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Returned to find this guy bumped almost to the top of my "view your posts" (well, middle of the second page isn't bad, but I've been gone a while).
Regarding CH's post, that just so happens to be pretty damn awesome. Please oh please post video.
Regarding TBI's scorinator, purely epic.
Regarding everything else, It was amazing to see these new posts
<PIS>: You say boom. I worry
4th Place in the Kickball World Championships. Reached the Ro16 in the 12th World Lacrosse Championships. Ranked 19th In the World for Lacrosse. Currently ranked 12th in the World in Babbage Rules. Accepted to CoH's 49-51. Quarterfinals in Beach Cup V. Gold Medal in Kemelilui at the I World Games. Co-creator of Kemelilui, included in XKorinate 0.3.3. Champions, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-17. Champions, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos. Third Place, Copa Rushmori VII. My KPB Rank is as follows: #43, 16.23
WHF 9: 10th place with 16 points
Help create a new sport!
Copa de Mercury
Embassy Program
Я люблю Україну!

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 pm

OOC Background

This fictional sport in the world of NationStates was invented by a group of members of the NS Sports forum in 2012. It was worked out by brainstorming on a discussion thread, and several competitions were held. The original code of rules was compiled by The Babbage Islands and maintained on nswiki.net. Sadly that page seems irretrievable. TBI has compiled this version 2 of community football, trying to be faithful to the established consensus and practice of the pioneers.

Community Football Code v2.01

Overview

The Community Football Code, generally shortened to community football or CFC (and sometimes called Target from the configuration of the pitch), is a field sport played by two teams of nine players each on a circular pitch 75 metres in diameter.

The object for each team is to score more points than the other team by legally sending a rugby football between two vertical goal posts and above the horizontal crossbar connecting them. Two goals are set diametrically opposite one another, with each team generally defending one goal and attempting to score through the other.

Pitch

Three lines marked on the ground and two goals define the pitch.

The touch line is a circle 75 m in diameter.
The 18-metre line is a circle 39 m in diameter, 18 m from touch all round.
The centre circle is a circle 3 m in diameter.
(All of these circles have a common centre point.)

These lines define zones of play. The inner ring is the area within the 18 m line, including the centre circle. The outer ring is the area between the 18 m line and the touch line. The
in-touch or out-of-bounds area is beyond the touch line. A player or ball touching the 18 m line is in the outer ring. A player or ball touching the touch line is in-touch or out-of-bounds.

Each goal has two vertical goal posts 8 m tall, spaced 6.5 m apart, connected by a horizontal crossbar 5 m above the ground. The centre points of each goal are 75 m apart and centred above the touch line; the goal posts are therefore in-touch or out-of-bounds.

The team boxes are located 1 m outside the touch line, diametrically opposite each other on an axis perpendicular to the line between goals. The permitted occupants of the team box are regulated by organisers. No person shall leave the team box to enter the field of play or otherwise interfere with play except in the course of lawful substitution or, with the head official's permission, to attend to an injured player.

The Ball

The ball is a prolate spheroid, inflated with air, of approximately elliptical shape. It is made of approved synthetic materials or leather, and may be of any colour or colours.

A standard ball is 28–30 cm long and 58–62 cm in circumference at its widest point. It weighs 410–460 g and is inflated to 65.7–68.8 kPa.

Number of Players

A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than nine players. A match may not start if either team consists of fewer than seven players.

In official competitions a maximum of five substitutions may be used. The rules of the competition shall specify how many substitutes may be nominated, up to a maximum of twelve. In other matches the teams concerned may agree to increase these numbers prior to the start of the match, provided that the head official is notified.

The names of all players and substitutes are given to the head official prior to the start of the match. Any substitute whose name is not given to the head official at that time may not take part.

During play either team may make substitutions at any time by having the departing player exit the pitch to the team box. After the departing player has entered the box the replacement player may then leave the box and enter the pitch. A player may return to play after having been substituted, but each such action counts against the limit of five total substitutions.

Player Equipment

Uniforming standards are the responsibility of organisers. In their absence it is expected that all players will wear a sleeved jersey or shirt, shorts, socks, footwear, and shin guards. Teams shall ensure that the colours worn contrast sufficiently from those worn by their opponents and the officials.

Jewellry is forbidden to all players and officials, save for a timekeeping device worn or carried by the head official.

Other protective equipment may be worn if its use poses no danger to the wearer or any other player.

Officials

Major competitions use teams of six officials. The four on-field officials are the head official, circle official, and two goal judges. Two scorekeepers are stationed off-field at the two team boxes.

• The head official keeps the time, whistles the (re)start of play, and serves as overall arbiter of the match.
  • The circle official tosses the ball in neutral starts and monitors the taking of ground balls in the centre circle or inner ring.
  • The goal judges signal scores and generally observe play as the ball nears the touch line.
  • The scorekeepers keep the score, monitor substitutions, and time penalties.
  • Any of the four on-field officials may whistle any observed foul. Only the head official may issue a sanction (formal warning or ejection).

Matches below the top level may operate with as few as three officials, often with the head official also assuming the duties of the circle official and the goal judges also assuming the duties of the scorekeepers.

Duration

A match has three 15-minute periods of play with a five-minute interval between periods. The head official may add time to the length of a period to compensate for significant injuries.

Starts and restarts

At the start of the match, either team may score in either goal. After the first goal is scored, the scoring team will continue to attack that goal for the balance of the period and their opponents will attack the other goal. The teams then switch goals for each succeeding period.

The centre circle is used for starting play or restarting after interruptions. In a neutral start, one official blows a starting whistle blast and a second throws the ball up in the centre of the pitch. As the whistle blows two lifters for each side physically lift a third player, the centre, to compete for the ball. Only the centres of each team may intentionally touch the ball until it touches the ground or leaves the centre circle..

Lifting the centre prematurely is a foul, as is pushing or pulling a lifter while their centre is being lifted from or held off the ground. Also, the ball must not be popped while the centre is off the ground. Each of these fouls awards the non-offending side a ground ball (below) within the centre circle.

Playing the ball

Players may freely run with, kick, fist-strike, or throw the ball. However, except in the act of relinquishing possession a player with possession of the ball must maintain it in both hands, in front of the body, and not touching any other part of the body. The principal means of challenging for such a held ball is "popping", where a defender attempts to strike the ball out of the attacker's hands.

A ball in the air is fair game for all. Incidental contact is not a foul, but deliberate contact is.

Scoring

A team scores a goal by legally playing the ball on the full, touching neither ground nor goal posts, between the vertical posts and above the crossbar. A goal from the inner ring scores three points, and a goal from the outer ring scores one point.

Fouls

Additional to the infractions listed for starts and restarts, it is a foul to:

• Kick at a ball touched by a player's hands, arms, or body above the waist.
  • Intentionally make contact with another player.
  • Endanger another player.
  • Be the last player to contact the ball before it strikes the ground in-touch when a goal was not scored on the play.
  • Engage in any manner of unsporting or violent conduct.

Ground ball

Most fouls award the non-offending side a ground ball. This consists of one member of that side placing the ball on the ground anywhere within the centre circle. Except for the grounding player, all others must remain in the outer ring until the grounded ball is again touched by that player.

If a foul also resulted in a sanction (below), the non-offending side may elect to take the ground ball at the point of the foul. In this case, except for the grounding player all others must remain in the ring that does not contain the ball and at least 5 m from it until the grounded ball is again touched by that player.

Sanctions (warning and ejection)

The head official may, in addition to the ground ball awarded for a foul, sanction any player for dangerous, violent, or unsporting conduct. A sanction is made by displaying a yellow card (warning) or red card (ejection) to the offender.

Unsporting conduct has been held to include a wide array of infractions including dissent from an official's decision and deliberately fouling an opponent to disrupt a clear scoring opportunity.

A warned player is sent off the pitch for two minutes, returning to play by entering the pitch between the goal posts that team is defending. An ejected player, including a player receiving a second warning in one match, is sent off the pitch for the balance of the match. The ejected player may be replaced with a substitute, if a substitution is available, after two minutes.

Tiebreaking provisions in cups

Ties are normally left unbroken. In matches where a winner must be determined, such as knockout tournaments, the win is awarded to the team with the better score in two of three periods, then the team that won the third period, then the team that won the second period, then the team that scored the first goal, then the away team. (Where matches are conducted on neutral ground and this provision could apply, organisers are expected to designate an away team prior to the competition.) The official score of the match is unchanged.
Last edited by The Babbage Islands on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:11 am

The Babbage Islands wrote:
-snip-

This seems to be good, specially that you gave a very detailed presentation of this, but I wonder if this has an scorinator or you can develop one?

I'd be interested to take part of this.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 am

San Jose Guayabal wrote:
The Babbage Islands wrote:
-snip-

This seems to be good, specially that you gave a very detailed presentation of this, but I wonder if this has an scorinator or you can develop one?

I'd be interested to take part of this.

I'm pretty sure xkoranate already supports it. ;)

EDIT: Looks like there's a scorinator linked a few posts above, but the xkoranate file was never released publicly.
Last edited by Free Republics on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:24 pm

I wrote both the xkoranate sport file and the Google Docs spreadsheet scorinator; the latter is linked in my sig. Let me see if I can find the xkoranate file around here; I've been through a couple of computers between my wife's final illness and now. At worst it ought not take long to re-write and post.

Community football was shaping up to be a lot of fun. I'd like to see a comeback.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:31 pm

!

Speaking of comebacks...
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:16 pm

I rebuilt the xkoranate score file for community football. Here it is. This is not a tutorial on how to install the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sport version="0.3">
<name>Community football</name>
<alphabetizedName>Community football</alphabetizedName>
<discipline>Community football</discipline>
<event/>
<scorinator/>

<paradigm>footba11er</paradigm>
<paradigmOptions>
<double type="homeAdvantage">0.065</double>
<double type="skillCoeff">0.6</double>
<double type="skillOffset">0.2</double>
<string type="attackStyle">normal</string>
<double type="meanAttacks">8.75</double>
<double type="stDevAttacks">2.0</double>
<double type="attacksTailCutoff">0.005</double>
<int type="maxAttacks">18</int>
<list type="pointValues">
<int>3</int>
<int>1</int>
</list>
<list type="pointProbs">
<double>0.30</double>
<double>0.70</double>
</list>
<list type="tiebreakers">
<string>decision</string>
</list>
<list type="tiebreakerNames">
<string>+</string>
</list>
</paradigmOptions>
</sport>

Isula ge Ru
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Isula ge Ru » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 pm

The Babbage Islands wrote:A lot of things

I am Isula ĝe Ru, the user behind Carmadin and technically the OP of this thread, and I approve this message. A lot. TBI is the best.
Follow the Isulan Football Federation on Twitter!
Champions: Baptism of Fire LVII
Quarterfinalists: Copa Rushmori XIX
Qualified: Confederations Cup IV

KPB Ranking: 11.68|79th

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Okay, here goes. Show of hands. Who might be interested in an inaugural World Cup/World Championship for community football? I don't quite feel authorized to open such a thread without community backing, although Isula ge Ru/Carmadin probably could. But just maybe we've developed enough to take that step.

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Interested.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Interested as well.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 am

Interested...
and "Welcome back!"

:)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Isula ge Ru
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Isula ge Ru » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 pm

135.621% interested

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Interested...
and "Welcome back!"

:)

Thanks. If we start a community football World Cup or Global Whatchamacallit or Community Thingy between national nines, perhaps a cousin to the fabled Golden Honeycomb could be found?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:28 am

The Babbage Islands wrote:If we start a community football World Cup or Global Whatchamacallit or Community Thingy between national nines, perhaps a cousin to the fabled Golden Honeycomb could be found?

Of course!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:13 pm

This is a small but solid core of players, and the very announcement of a tournament will draw eyeballs. I'll post a thread asking for entries and host bids.

Red Blackiland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Blackiland » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Red Blackiland interested too.
Red Blackiland / Rotschwarzland (Click here to acess our main factbook)
Nationalism, Willpower, Culture, Bravure
Check our Football National Team
Red Blackiland Football League Official Thread
Meski Sports Kitmaker - Kits|Crests|Balls
Titles/Achievements : 3rd NS World Fair Champions|CoH 66 and 67 QFs|CE 17 3rd Place|Qualified for WCs 76-77
Hosted/Co-Hosted : Cup of Harmony 66 and 67|Baptism of Fire 61|Handball World Cup 14,Handball World Cup 15|Miller Cup I|Meski Cup I

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:39 pm

The Qocaekian Isles
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Qocaekian Isles » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi! I just read the main thread and i have a couple of questions regarding the rules. First, I want to question the incentive of a player to kick the ball if he/she can just use the hands. Second of all, how many points will be awarded if the goal is scored from the opposite side of the field, which is in the outer ring (basically would super-long-shots be three pointers)? Last, I want to say that this is excellent work and I am interested, but would this be a sort of like a throwing contest?

Thank you (and I will sign-up)!

Isula ge Ru
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Isula ge Ru » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:47 pm

The Qocaekian Isles wrote:Hi! I just read the main thread and i have a couple of questions regarding the rules. First, I want to question the incentive of a player to kick the ball if he/she can just use the hands. Second of all, how many points will be awarded if the goal is scored from the opposite side of the field, which is in the outer ring (basically would super-long-shots be three pointers)? Last, I want to say that this is excellent work and I am interested, but would this be a sort of like a throwing contest?

A kick may cover more distance than a throw, and would be used for long passes and shots. Inner ring shots would likely all be kicks. As for your other question, I doubt it would be possible, and, in the highly unlikely event that someone managed such a long shot, I think it would count simply as one point.

The Qocaekian Isles
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Qocaekian Isles » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Isula ge Ru wrote:
The Qocaekian Isles wrote:Hi! I just read the main thread and i have a couple of questions regarding the rules. First, I want to question the incentive of a player to kick the ball if he/she can just use the hands. Second of all, how many points will be awarded if the goal is scored from the opposite side of the field, which is in the outer ring (basically would super-long-shots be three pointers)? Last, I want to say that this is excellent work and I am interested, but would this be a sort of like a throwing contest?

A kick may cover more distance than a throw, and would be used for long passes and shots. Inner ring shots would likely all be kicks. As for your other question, I doubt it would be possible, and, in the highly unlikely event that someone managed such a long shot, I think it would count simply as one point.

But the thing is when you are in the inner circle, a throw is way more accurate than a drop kick. Also the field isn't all that big considering what we see in American football. As in the second question, maybe we can have a half-court line so any shot from the other half count for 3 or 2 points?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports