NATION

PASSWORD

Give Her the ID! [DRAFT]

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Give Her the ID! [DRAFT]

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 pm

This issue concerns a very real and very relevant issue in my home state: Voter ID.

ISSUE: Voter ID

NAME: "Give Her the ID!"

DESCRIPTION: An act of voter fraud caught on tape has rocked @@NAME@@ to its democratic core. Recently, footage has surfaced of a "community organizer" shuttling a full bus of non-citizen residents into a polling precinct and aiding them in voting more than once. Citizens are demanding answers on how to combat such brazen corruption of the electoral process.

VALIDITY: For all nations that hold elections. Not valid for nations with elections where the government chooses the candidates or tells the candidates what to vote. Not valid for nations with compulsary voting. Not valid for nations that do not hold elections.

[option]"'Walking around money?!' Bus loads of non-citizens?! Bribes to get people to vote?! What sick country do we live in, where people that are not @@DEMONYM-ADJECTIVE@@ citizens are able to damage the process of our elections and rob our citizens of their freedom to choose their leaders?" bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, a spritely young political intern, his mournful eyes shining in naive innocence. "We must devise a way to stop this before it spreads! I propse a free Voter Identification system. Everyone must show a card, any card, with their full name and picture on it." he becomes giddy with joy. "-and people can just use library cards and stuff! -and for those who can't get to the registrar or can't afford an ID, we'll give them away to everyone! IT'S PERFECT!"
[effect] identical twins find themselves disenfranchised because their Voter Identification cards match each other
[stats]Corruption slashed, Political Apathy down (people think their votes count), Rightism/Conservatism slightly up, Authoritarianism ever so slightly up

[option]"Don't listen to that stupid peasant; his idea won't fix anything! He's still enabling the plebian masses to choose the people that tell them what they want to hear." snorts @@NAME@@, a wealthy, landed gentry aristocrat, clearly judging you behind his stylish monocle. "Ever since universal suffrage came into being, all these fools are electing idiots that give them endless handouts at the expense of the hard workers like me! What I propose is simple. We must return to the days when only people with the heritage and superior intellect of well-established @@DEMONYM-PLURAL@@ could vote! Connect enfranchisement to property ownership and watch our nation's problems- not to mention my tax forms -prosper! Only the Lords and Ladies of the Manors should vote, I do declare!"
[effect]only the landed gentry aristocrats can vote
[stats]Civil Rights slashed, Corruption down, Political Freedoms slashed, taxes down (rich interests in Congress), Social Safety Net down (again, the rich normally vote for this), Agrarianism up, Primitive up, Political Apathy up, Income Gaps up (under these policies, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer), Economy up (less regulation, freer markets because rich vote it), Conservatism/Rightism skyrockets, Industry Subsidies/Industry Budger up (rich vote for "free money" too, hypocrites!), Public Healthcare/Healthcare Budget down, Welfare Budget down

[option]"Now hold on a minute." notes @@RANDOMNAME@@, chairman of the local "community organizer" club, pulling out a @@CURRENCY@@ from his suit jacket sleeve. "Why should we be discouraging fraud? I mean, Voter ID? It's sick! It's racist, it's sexist, it's homophobic, and all sorts of other buzzwords I can't think of. -and its proponents hate puppies, too!" he snickers. "Well, that's what will tell the people, anyway. See, the reason this system exists is because we're a team, you and me. Those Bigtopians are really easy to milk for @@CURRENCY@@s when you stir their fear, and I like money. So let's talk business. I scratch your back, and you scratch mine." he places the @@CURRENCY@@ on your desk. "This whole thing never happened. Do this for me, and I''ll make sure those @@DEMONYM-PLURAL@@ vote your party for the next sixty years. What do you say?"
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s preferred candidates have somehow scored one hundred one percent of the electorate in some districts
[stats]Corruption soars, Political Freedoms slashed, Political Apathy up, Crime up

[option]A shadowy figure, identified only by his codename, @@RANDOMNAME-REVERSED@@, appears behind you, tapping your shoulder. "@@LEADER@@, as we have told you every time these issues come up, the answer is obvious. You need to ban these glorified popularity contests altogether and get to the real business of making us rich- uhh, running the country. After all, you know what's best for this nation, and your word should be final. The only thing an opposition does is stop progress, after all..."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ rules the state with an iron fist, but at least no one can vote twice in an election
[stats]Corruption soars, Political Freedoms slashed, Civil Rights slashed, Political Apathy way down, Authoritarianism skyrockets, Happiness cut, Administration Budget down, Law and Order Budget slightly down (no need for corruption investigations)

:D
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:32 am

I know they tell us not to get too caught up in commenting on stats, but on this issue, the first option really jumps out as being a bit imbalanced. It doesn't seem to have any negative consequences whatsoever beyond "Authoritarianism ever so slightly up". You even list Political Freedoms as going up!! I seriously don't think that within the context of NationStates imposing an additional restriction on people's rights to vote counts as an increase in political freedom.

Without starting a debate about the politics of the issue, critics of voting ID laws do have some arguments that go beyond the incredibly crass stereotype in Option #3, so perhaps it needs to be a bit more balanced? The outcome could be something like "voters are often turned away from the polls if they have forgotten their ID" or something, even if the stats don't change.
Last edited by Golgothastan on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:11 am

All of the options look a little long.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:06 am

You're right. I made a mistake on Political Freedoms. Let me fix that!
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Return to Got Issues?